General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aid Stations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-07 7:02 PM

Regular
SOBX, NC
Subject: Aid Stations
I am doing my first halfiron on Sunday, and I was reading about the aid stations on the triathlons website, http://www.musselmantri.com/races/aid.html,and it says that they will be giving out Cliff bars, hammer gels, carb boom, and other stuff. I was just wondering how much do you eat during the race, and how do the the aid stations normally give you the stuff without causing a crash. During most of my training rides I rarely eat, and if I do, I have an energy gel. During the halfiron I know that I need to eat, so I was just wondering how much other people ate. Thanks in advance.
Dave

2004-07-07 7:28 PM
in reply to: #35924

Master
portland, or
Subject: RE: Aid Stations
Remember, it's best to not try anything new on race day, especially nutrition items in a longer race like a 1/2 IM.

To answer your question. On the bike, as you approach the aid station if you don't want anything, check that it's clear and move to the left to avoid those that are going to be using the station. If you do need something, move to the right, SLOW DOWN, and be aware of others around you. The first thing you'll come to will probably be a "drop station". This is where you toss any empty water bottles that you need to get rid of. You'll then pass by volunteers holding out different items. Usually they'll be telling you what they've got in their hand if for some reason it's not identifiable (such as water vs. sports drink in a bottle). Take it from them and continue moving through the line while on your bike. Don't stop!

If you feel you need to stop, do so before the drop station or after you've passed the last of the aid station. Be sure to move all the way to the right when stopping.

The run stations are obviously easier to maneuver through, but it's best to make sure you're not impeding someone else if you decide to stop and walk through the aid station. Incidently walking through the aid stations during the run of a 1/2 IM is very common. The seconds lost walking will pay dividends in getting properly hydrated/fueled.

If they're using a gel that you're unfamiliar with, you can carry your own in your shirt pockets, tape them to your top tube, or use a "bento box" to carry them on your bike within easy reach. I prefer to carry all of my nutrition during the bike segment of 1/2 and full IM's and use the aid stations for water only.

Have fun!

scott
2004-07-07 7:37 PM

'During the halfiron I know that I need to eat, so I was just wondering how much other people ate.' Are you saying that 4 days before a 1/2 IM you're now trying to determine what and how much??
2004-07-07 7:45 PM
in reply to: #35934

Regular
SOBX, NC
yes, I am new to this. I am just taking this race as a learning experience.
2004-07-07 8:27 PM
in reply to: #35936

Master
portland, or
Subject: Eating in a 1/2
Personally, I stick to primarily liquid calories and try to consume most of them on the bike.

In my last 1/2 (Pacific Crest - two big climbs) I had two bottles of carbo-pro/e-fuel mixed at ~550 calories each; three e-gel packs (150 each) on my top tube; and one power bar (200) cut into quarters stuck on my bars. My goal was 300-400 calories per hour. I did the 58 miles (course was 2 miles long) in 2:45 and consumed one bottle, plus some of the second; one gel; 3/4 of the bar. ~1000 calories.

I took one gel at T2. 150 calories

On the run I took a gel at miles 4 & 8. Water every aid station (every mile). Course supplied sports drink at 3-4 stations. Small cup of Red Bull at mile 9 or 10. ~500 calories.

I'll admit I had never tried Red Bull before and the course sports drink (power ade, I think) wasn't something I train with, but I have used it in races without problems.

I hope this helps. The best advice, but it's too late now, is to do a race simulation brick in training where you can finalize your nutrition strategy.

scott
2004-07-07 9:09 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Also consider that the aid stations could potentially be out of water, sport drinks, gels, etc - plan for that in advance.  Consider a fuel belt, and a bento box on the bike is a great thing!

Good luck in the race!

2004-07-08 7:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tinton Falls, NJ
Dave,

Glad to hear your racing MusselMan as I will also be up there. I agree with the posts which you've seen thus far:

1. It's best not to experiment on race day (but it looks like this race may be an experiement for you which is OK as long as you learn from it and use that information in your next 1/2 IM prep)

2. I agree 100% that liquid calories are the most easily digested form on race day. I intend to use 100% liquid calorie intake beginning with breakfast and through the balance of the day. My basic intake is in the same format I use in an IM, with the total calorie count cut roughly in 1/2. There is a thorough breakdown of my nutritional strategy and as well as a bunch of Q&A's about it posted here in my Ironman Florida race report.

Lastly, I will be conducting an informal pre-race talk to help answer any last minute questions at the race venue on Saturday. As I would like to work this around a group swim and the buoys will not be setup until the afternoon, this will most likely be held at the swim start/finish around 3PM on Saturday. Once I have this locked in, I will be sure to put a post on this board to let anyone else know who may be interested.

Good luck in Geneva and if you have any questions please shoot me an e-mail or give me a tap on the shoulder on race morning (BIB #1041)!

Brian Shea
www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aid Stations Rss Feed