General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclist missing off SCT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-26 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: Cyclist missing off SCT

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's second story in two days that has direct impact on us. I hope she's okay.

Woman missing from Silver Comet Trail

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/26/06

Searchers are combing the Silver Comet biking trail in Cobb County today for a missing Sandy Springs woman last seen Monday afternoon.

Jennifer Ewing, 54, left from home in a Honda minivan with her red bike around 2 p.m. to ride the trail. She makes the outing on the 50-mile wooded path through Cobb and Paulding Counties about four days a week, said Smyrna police Sgt. Robert Harvey.

"Her family members said she should have returned by 6:30 p.m. Monday and were concerned," Harvey said. Her silver minivan was found Monday night near the head of the trail off Cooper Lake Road in Smyrna sometime after 8 p.m., he said.

"The vehicle is being processed, but it looked to be in order," said Harvey. The missing woman, described as 5-feet 6 inches tall, 120 pounds, with dark, curly shoulder length hair and green eyes, was riding an expensive Cannondale trail bike, "that enthusiasts will spend a lot of money for — as much as $500 to $3,000."

She is believed to be wearing black bicycle shoes, black spandex biking shorts and a black helmet.

"She had no problems or difficulties that we can find, and everything seemed to be okay with her personal life. We're optimistic and see no indications of foul play at this point," Harvey said. "The trail goes through some extremely rough terrain, with lots of ravines and valleys. It could be she fell into a ravine and was injured."

A search for Ewing by family, friends and law enforcement resumed around 7 a.m. today at the trail's head, Harvey said.

2006-07-26 9:00 AM
in reply to: #493500

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: Cyclist missing off SCT
Oops. Sorry, 1111, double post.
2006-07-26 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
I was just going to post this article in case no one had seen it.  It's very scary...I know many people ride at the SCT weekly.  I really hope she's ok!  It's a good lesson to always let someone know exactly where you are and how long you plan to be gone when you train alone.
2006-07-26 10:39 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
And it's always good to bring a cell phone.

Edited by runnergirl29 2006-07-26 10:40 AM
2006-07-26 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Ohhh, very scary news from the AJC...hopefully it's not her.  

Body reported found along Silver Comet trail
Associated Press
Published on: 07/26/06

Police plan a news conference in connection with the search for a 54-year-old woman missing since she left to ride her bicycle on the Silver Comet Trail.

Volunteers helping search for Jennifer Ewing of Sandy Springs say they have been told that a body has been found along the trail that begins in Smyrna. They told WSB-TV that the body was found about 14 miles away from the start of the trail.

Jennifer Ewing
Police have not confirmed that a body has been found.

Ewing's silver Honda Odyssey minivan was found about 9 a.m., parked at the trail.

Ewing's family says she makes a 50-mile roundtrip on the trail three to four times a week.

The Silver Comet Trail runs 57 miles from Smyrna to the state line along an abandoned freight rail corridor — winding through Cobb, Paulding and Polk counties.

2006-07-26 1:58 PM
in reply to: #493644

User image

Queen BTich

runnergirl29 - 2006-07-26 10:39 AM And it's always good to bring a cell phone.

The news clip I watched interviewed her husband. He said she carries her phone. Sometimes (if someone tries to snatch or you get hurt) a cell phone can't do anything for you.

This is so hard to hear, last year there were a couple of attempted abductions which made me nervous (since I trained there at the time). This is so sad and terrible and I feel for her family.

2006-07-26 3:08 PM
in reply to: #493874

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Comet - 2006-07-26 2:58 PM

runnergirl29 - 2006-07-26 10:39 AM And it's always good to bring a cell phone.

The news clip I watched interviewed her husband. He said she carries her phone. Sometimes (if someone tries to snatch or you get hurt) a cell phone can't do anything for you.

This is so hard to hear, last year there were a couple of attempted abductions which made me nervous (since I trained there at the time). This is so sad and terrible and I feel for her family.

I like to bring my cell in case I get stranded and or can't fix a flat.  But yeah- if you get in a wreck most likely your phone is going to go flying as well.  I was actually thinking about this other day when I was riding.  And if someone snatches you there's no way you'd have time to make a phone call.  So you're right- cell phones are only good for certain situations.

It's so scary that they found a body along the trail.  Just makes you realize that you can never be safe!  It makes me think twice about training alone.

2006-07-26 4:44 PM

Veteran
Snellville

This is truly scary.  My office is near the end of the trail off South Cobb Drive and I have been riding the trail lately after work before fighting traffic back to the east side.  Im a 220 lb guy but I dont think that would make much difference if attacked while clipped in going 15-20 mph.  I may have to rethink that part of my training schedule or get a partner.  It's usually a relaxing ride but would be very creepy if I had to start looking behind every bush.  

If anyone biking the SCT wants a "slow" training partner between 4-7 on weekdays let me know. 

2006-07-26 9:03 PM

User image

Atlanta, GA
My heart goes out the Ewing family. I can not imagine what they are going through at this time. According to the news, this was the second attack in a month on the SCT. This just pisses me off so much. It is one of the reasons I train on the tread-out of caution. Training outside gives the perp the upper hand because they have the element of surprise on their side and, if you are like me-they are rested where the runner/biker may be exerting too much energy and may not be in top form to fight back. They say that the the victim put up one ferocious fight. I hope she has enough DNA on her that the perp, if caught, will rot in jail for the rest of their lives.
Some of the best ways to protect yourself (that I can think of) is to take a self defense class, vary your routes/times/routines (it could be that the perp staked the location out and picked his target based on routine-or it could have been an unfortunate random violent act) and ensure someone you know is informed of your schedule/location/start time of training/projected end time of training/and if they do not hear form you by "x-time" what they should do.
Also, know the area-look for and identify alternate routes in case you need to get to away, possible areas where someone could set-up an attack, locations of police call boxes (know a lot of places may not have these installed along the trail-but they should!!!!!!), and ALWAYS maintain situational awareness-make direct eye contact, run with only one earphone in and tunes down so you can hear what is going on around you (perps who attack runners tend to "run" pass the target first, then when they pass-turn around and attack from behind), and give them the impression that you will, without a doubt, bring on a world of hurt. If you give the impression that you are submissive, that you are not aware of what is going on around you, then you may become vulnerable.
I am sure there are other things that can be done as well to decrease your chances, but this is all that come to my mind right now.

God be with the Ewing family and all who knew her and loved her.
2006-07-26 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

First, I feel very sorry for the victim and her family. I can't fathom having to deal with what at this time appears to be a totally random act.

Second, and not to belittle the first point,
This sucks. I always knew in the back of my mind that it was a matter of time until something like this happened, The trail is very desolate in places, and unfortunately, those of us who utilize it are more vulnerable than the average person. Being a guy, I'm not worried about the predator type coming after me, I'm worried for the women I know who use the trail regularly. This forever stigmatizes the SC and takes what should be a great escape from every day living, and turns it into a potential journey of fear. I know this will change the way my wife rides for sure. A mechanism of self defense will certainly be added, and also there will be no random long rides on non peak days. Saturday / Sunday is probably fine. Weekdays, or questionable weather creates a more sparsely populated trail that is just too chancy. Other options include limiting rides to the 10 mile mark and back. Watching one report, I did see that the police have some strong leads. Hopefully they pan out.  I know this will fade from memories and the fears will subside, but for now, a most unfortunate wakeup call has been issued.
2006-07-27 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
state of denial
I just heard about his last night. Being a guy, i am not too concerned for myself. I am concerned for female friends that ride alone, especially during the week. The worst part is the SCT is such a great place and now it has a certain "air" to it...at least in my mind. like the whole thing has been violated. I feel horrible for her family and the trying times they are faced with. it sounds like this was a regular ride for her. I am sure she chose the trail for its scenery and relative safety...from cars.

2006-07-27 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

I just read the AJC's report. Oh my goodness. We worry about cars hitting us or people yelling, throwing things. At SCT she thought she was safe. It's such a beautiful place to ride, now marred by something so wrong.

Makes me wish sometimes that I was a guy. But it could have been anybody. We definitely all need to ride/run defensively - and not just watching out for cars. My heart goes out to her family. She seemed like an absolutely awesome woman - like so many cyclists and runners.

2006-07-27 3:33 PM

Master
This saddens me so much. I train out there constantly and always felt somewhat safe.

Suspect being questioned after cyclist slain
Sandy Springs mother of three mourned as inspiration

By CRAIG SCHNEIDER, YOLANDA RODRIGUEZ
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/27/06

Investigators are questioning a convicted sex offender in the death of a woman whose body was found off the Silver Comet Trail on Wednesday, Sheriff Bruce Harris of Paulding County said today.

Detectives detained Michael William Ledford for violating terms of his probation. State records say Ledford served 10 years in prison after a 1991 rape conviction in Paulding County.

“He is one of our suspects,” Harris said this morning.

The sheriff said investigators picked up Ledford Tuesday after finding him with alcohol. He said that violated terms of Ledford’s probation.

According to Scheree Lipscomb, spokeswoman for the Georgia Board of Pardons and Parole, Ledford was considered for early release three times by the parole board, and denied all three times.

Donald Ledford of Douglasville, the suspect's brother, said the family is devastated by the news. "Everybody is tore up," he said."Right now we're just like everybody else. We're waiting for results, waiting for testing."

He said he has not spoken to his brother since his arrest.

Harris said investigators were still at the crime scene today, a kudzu-covered wooded area roughly 40 feet off the Silver Comet trail, a paved 60-mile trail that runs from Cobb County to the Alabama state line.

On Wednesday, police found a body believed to be that of Jennifer Ewing, a 54-year-old Sandy Springs mother of three who often rode 50 miles in a day. The apparent homicide victim was discovered 40 feet off the trail, near mile marker 17 between Hiram and Dallas, after she did not come home Tuesday. Black spandex riding shorts were found atop a patch of kudzu nearby.

An autopsy is being conducted this morning by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Deputy coroner Mike Cochran of Paulding County said he expects authorities to determine a cause of death by 1 p.m.

"I'm waiting to hear from the medical examiner at the crime lab as to their findings on the autopsy,” he said.

“This is a sad event, especially on the Silver Comet," Cochran said. "Hopefully it won't deter people from using it … It's a real tragic event."

The body was found at 11 a.m. Wednesday after a search was mounted after Ewing did not return home for dinner Tuesday. Her husband, Jim Ewing, had called police.

Smyrna police found Jennifer Ewing's gray Honda Odyssey in a parking lot at a trail head near Nickajack Elementary School.

Down the trail, a bike was found near the body, which had suffered "obvious trauma" to her head and body, said Major Tom Murphy of the Paulding County Sheriff's Office. The condition of the body made immediate identification difficult.

But relatives and investigtors had little doubt that it was Ewing's body that search crews found.

As family and friends grieved their loss, they remembered a special woman.

The victim's 26-year-old son, Jim Ewing, spoke late Wednesday afternoon in front of the family home.

"All of you who knew Mom know that she is responsible for every good thing our family has done or ever will do," he said. "She inspired us all.

We had hoped and prayed for a happy outcome, but instead we are faced with this tragedy."

He asked that the killers be caught and prosecuted "to the fullest extent of the law."

Ewing was "kind and loving, full of the Holy Spirit, very giving," said Becky Norman of Roswell, a friend for 16 years. Ewing had home schooled Norman's children as well as her own, teaching them literature and art. Norman said Ewing discovered an artistic talent in her then-14-year-old son, which had directed him to a life in the arts.

In Ewing's Sandy Springs neighborhood, friends and relatives visited the well-kept yellow house to pay their respects, speaking in hushed tones.

Jim Voyles, a neighbor and friend for 26 years, said, "She's a mother that leaves a legacy that is unparalleled in many circles. She was a tremendous lady."

On Tuesday, Ewing had ridden 25 miles out on the trail, which took her into Paulding County, then had turned around to head back. The round trip over the converted railroad bed could take several hours.

Wednesday evening, visitors to the Silver Comet Trail admitted to having been lulled into a sense of complacency.

"You never really think there will a mugger here because you're not carrying any cash," said Holly Janney of Smyrna who was out walking the Silver Comet with her husband, Dave.

They paused near a wooden post bearing a missing person poster asking for any information about Ewing.

Said Janney, "I probably won't come down without my husband at odd hours."

And yet, despite the 90-degree heat, the trail was filled with bicyclists, walkers and roller-bladers. Some said they had not heard the news.

Ed McBrayer, executive director of the non-profit PATH Foundation, which developed the trail, said, "We like to think the trail is safe. There is very little crime, certainly nothing of this magnitude. There's never been any major crime that we know of."

He said 911 calls from cell phones can be made from the trail.

"It's such a beautiful place," Atlantan Ron Williams said as he prepared for a ride. "It's gorgeous. The whole trail. The further you go out, the less people, the less activity you see on the trail. Some parts are heavily wooded.... " But, he said, he "never had any safety concerns."

The men of Williams' church ride their bikes on an annual trek to Rockmart in west Georgia. The ladies of the church like to walk it, Williams said.

Now, he said, the women will have to "walk together in a pack."

Staff writers Carlos Campos, David Markiewicz and Travers Johnson contributed to this article.
2006-07-30 7:26 PM

Veteran
Snellville

Just wanted to update with the latest news update.  If you ask me the death penalty would be too lenient.

DALLAS, Ga. — Paulding County officials said Friday they have charged a convicted rapist with the murder of a woman who was killed while riding her bicycle on the Silver Comet Trail in northwest Georgia.
Sheriff Bruce Harris announced the arrest of Michael William Ledford of Hiram and said he would make his first court appearance on Monday morning.
‘‘No other statement will be made at this time,’’ Harris said.
District Attorney Drew Lane added, ‘‘At this time we won’t talk about what evidence led to the arrest. He is the only one under arrest at this time.’’
Ledford, 43, was convicted of raping a Paulding County woman in 1991.
Ledford is listed on the state’s sex offender registry, which gives his address as a house about eight miles from where the 54-year-old mother of three, Jennifer Ewing, was killed along the bike trail.
Ewing often took 50-mile rides on the Silver Comet Trail. Her family called police when she failed to return home after her ride on Tuesday. Her body was found a day later.
State records show Ledford served nearly 10 years in prison after his 1991 conviction for rape in the attack of a 22-year-old Dallas woman. After he was denied parole three times, the state released him in 2001. He is serving 10 years of probation.
Lane said prosecutors may seek the death penalty.
Public defender Thomas V. Driggers, who is representing Ledford, said he and Lane had an agreement not to discuss details of the case in the media.
‘‘We want to make certain that if there is a trial in this case that Mr. Ledford gets the benefit of a fair and impartial jury,’’ Driggers said.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclist missing off SCT Rss Feed