2013-09-25 3:26 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: CrossFit's Dirty Little Secret
Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by drewb8

Originally posted by Teejaay 

How many athletes continue a race when they are dehydrated?  Crap their pants? Feel lightheaded?  Crashed their bike and hit their head?  Fractured or broke a bone? Then they keep on going ... There is risk in any sport.

Wow, how did I miss that race report?  And they probably still were faster than me...

Dude. It was YOUR race report! I'm not surprised you don't remember, what with all that crap in your pants.

No way that race report could have been me.  I've never felt lightheaded in a race.

2013-09-25 3:31 PM
in reply to: Teejaay

Sensei
Sin City

ALSO, am I missing something?  Isn't Crossfit just basically circuit training?  That has been around FOREVER and no one got up in arms about it.  Maybe with a twist to it to make it more fun than going through the same 12 weight machines and exercise bike at 24 hr fitness?  Don't you flip truck tires or hit them with sledgehammers or shake a big heavy rope and stuff?  Then mix in some burpees and situps and such?  That seems a HELL of a lot more fun than the circuit station at the gym or lifting chest all day with body builders screaming at each other for one more rep.

I think crossfit would be tons of fun.  It's just too expensive, to be honest (I'll disagree with the author of the second article about that).  They cost 120-150 a month here.  Wow.  When I can do the same on my own with my gym membership that costs $25 a month.

I have no hate for crossfit, nor would I think I'm all that if I did it just like I don't think I'm all that with tri.  I just do it.  No big deal.

I'm surprised at the big deal people seem to making about it.  Bad or good.  It's just something to do, right?

Oh, and why is it a crossfit BOX?  (I think that was brought up prior and I only figured out what that meant after the second article).  To differentiate between a gym?  That seems odd, but whatevs...

2013-09-25 3:34 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by lisac957
Originally posted by thebigb

https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/6d606a0b7d31

For the other angle although I find it funny how they indirectly point a finger directly at triathlon

More like directly LOL - they posted a photo collage of IM tattoos!

Good counter article, thanks for posting.

I thought is was funny he said that no one not in triathlon could name someone in it.  Same could be said, if not more so, about crossfit.  Which of course, DOES NOT MATTER.

BUT, I might think more people may know Mark Allen than whoever is/was big in crossfit.  I know there is that big blonde swedish girl that seems to do pretty well that's on Reebok commercials.  Don't know names though.

2013-09-25 3:54 PM
in reply to: Kido

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-25 4:15 PM

Sensei
Sin City

I'm out then.  I can't do a handstand push up.   Probably never can.  On my best day I could barely do a 250 lb bench press and they want me to do a 235 lb SHOULDER PRESS?  (cuz, I weigh 235 and all that)...

I tried them before and if I start arms extended, as soon as I break my elbows I crash down on my head/neck.  If I start at the bottom, I'm lucky to get my head off the ground even 1/4 inch.

2013-09-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Champion
Chicago

For the other angle although I find it funny how they indirectly point a finger directly at triathlon

``At their peak, Lance Armstrong, Michael Phelps, or pick an IronMan winner (not sure anyone outside the community could name one) didn’t necessarily make people feel bad about themselves because they didn’t exactly look like Greek gods. Look at a hardcore bodybuilder and most people have no desire to look the same?—?look at a top CrossFit Games athlete and most people can’t help but admire them.''

And:
``CrossFit is elitist: Here’s the least plausible criticism of any.''

Triathletes: Not Greek Gods
Bodybuilders: Nobody desires to look like them
Crossfitters: Greek gods whom everybody wants to look like and admires.

Yeah, that's not elitist. None of my CF friends are elitist, but none of them, that I know of, compare crossfitters to Greek gods, either. Personally, I wouldn't hitch my wagon to this guy. I'd probably actually laugh.
2013-09-25 4:44 PM

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

``At their peak, Lance Armstrong, Michael Phelps, or pick an IronMan winner (not sure anyone outside the community could name one) didn’t necessarily make people feel bad about themselves because they didn’t exactly look like Greek gods. Look at a hardcore bodybuilder and most people have no desire to look the same?—?look at a top CrossFit Games athlete and most people can’t help but admire them.'' And: ``CrossFit is elitist: Here’s the least plausible criticism of any.'' Triathletes: Not Greek Gods Bodybuilders: Nobody desires to look like them Crossfitters: Greek gods whom everybody wants to look like and admires. Yeah, that's not elitist. None of my CF friends are elitist, but none of them, that I know of, compare crossfitters to Greek gods, either. Personally, I wouldn't hitch my wagon to this guy. I'd probably actually laugh.

Both articles are so slanted it's rather hilarious.  I just enjoy having fun with it and at the end of the day, we're just all out to have fun right?  

Tony, maybe you can write an article on why "crossfitters suck and triathletes blow, Richard Simmons had it right all along".  

2013-09-25 4:45 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-25 4:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

``At their peak, Lance Armstrong, Michael Phelps, or pick an IronMan winner (not sure anyone outside the community could name one) didn’t necessarily make people feel bad about themselves because they didn’t exactly look like Greek gods. Look at a hardcore bodybuilder and most people have no desire to look the same?—?look at a top CrossFit Games athlete and most people can’t help but admire them.'' And: ``CrossFit is elitist: Here’s the least plausible criticism of any.'' Triathletes: Not Greek Gods Bodybuilders: Nobody desires to look like them Crossfitters: Greek gods whom everybody wants to look like and admires. Yeah, that's not elitist. None of my CF friends are elitist, but none of them, that I know of, compare crossfitters to Greek gods, either. Personally, I wouldn't hitch my wagon to this guy. I'd probably actually laugh.

Yeah I'd hate to have Lance's build

2013-09-25 5:03 PM

Sensei
Sin City

I little slanted perhaps?

For the record, I just want to look like you.  Perhaps taller, though.

2013-09-25 5:13 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Sensei
Sin City
Originally posted by msteiner

Dang it, I need to run more...

2013-09-25 5:17 PM

Regular
LHOTP

For the other angle although I find it funny how they indirectly point a finger directly at triathlon ;)

Matt, you look better than Lance...though the brotha don't look bad.

And it's all about looks too.

And penis size.

2013-09-25 7:19 PM
in reply to: switch

Master
Beijing
Originally posted by switch

And penis size.

FINALLY.  Somewhere I can compete.

2013-09-25 7:22 PM

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Originally posted by Teejaay 

HATER!!! HATER!!!

When you come down to Tucson to ride Mt Lemmon .. I'll take you to my box!  (mmhmmm .. I said box)

So... if I visit Tucson, do ride up Mt Lemmon or go done on it to get to your box?  Embarassed 

2013-09-25 7:28 PM
in reply to: moondawg14

Regular
LHOTP

Duly noted.

Smart and can fix stuff? Boooooooring.

2013-09-25 8:30 PM
in reply to: switch

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Originally posted by switch

And penis size.

And at long last, I have a sig!

2013-09-25 8:32 PM

Regular
LHOTP

Well, it's true.

And I'm honored:)

2013-09-25 10:01 PM

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
I think Rhabdo was joked about more some years back when crossfit was more of a cult. During this time, it was thought that 250 reps was better than 200 reps, so let's raise our testosterone and see who is better!

Nowadays, you can still find gyms like this, but compared to the plethora of alternative fitness centers (i.e. not your traditional gym), there is a lot of attention toward individualizing workout programs to your needs (i.e., not 250 reps).

To an above poster who was concerned with indicators when Rhabdo is onsetting, I think you need to pay attention to workouts that involve high reps of medium weights. I am not a doctor or exercise scientist, and I am not responsible for this advice, but here is what I would do: Build your effort, ALWAYS! If you are doing 10 wall balls, put more effort into the final 5 rather than the first 5. Then when you come back around to your 2nd and 3rd round, always build more than the previous round. When you feel like you can't build and are doing worse, you are still ok, but pushing beyond this makes your risk increase.
2013-09-26 7:29 AM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

Master
Southwest Iowa

There is no CrossFit in our area, because I live in small town Iowa and we are lucky to have the YMCA that we have with a 4 lane pool.  But, I know of people that were into triathlons and went to crossfit to help them in overall performance and increase strength overall.  I would like to know more about it from people that are still doing tri's and doing crossfit and has it really helped them overall.  I don't care about my triathlon speed/times as I will never be on a podium, unless DFL is a new podium spot.

I have been out of all of it (serious workout) for too long and when I was feeling my best, I was tri training, but also doing 2 days a week of arm workouts and 1 day of legs. 

I like Kido, will probably never do a handstand pushup.  Though I know I did them 35+ years ago when I was in Junior High.  Them may have been 2.

Does crossfit also include a lot of stretching?

2013-09-26 8:33 AM
in reply to: Kido

Elite
Originally posted by Kido

ALSO, am I missing something?  Isn't Crossfit just basically circuit training?  That has been around FOREVER and no one got up in arms about it.  Maybe with a twist to it to make it more fun than going through the same 12 weight machines and exercise bike at 24 hr fitness?  Don't you flip truck tires or hit them with sledgehammers or shake a big heavy rope and stuff?  Then mix in some burpees and situps and such?  That seems a HELL of a lot more fun than the circuit station at the gym or lifting chest all day with body builders screaming at each other for one more rep.

I think crossfit would be tons of fun.  It's just too expensive, to be honest (I'll disagree with the author of the second article about that).  They cost 120-150 a month here.  Wow.  When I can do the same on my own with my gym membership that costs $25 a month.

I have no hate for crossfit, nor would I think I'm all that if I did it just like I don't think I'm all that with tri.  I just do it.  No big deal.

I'm surprised at the big deal people seem to making about it.  Bad or good.  It's just something to do, right?

Oh, and why is it a crossfit BOX?  (I think that was brought up prior and I only figured out what that meant after the second article).  To differentiate between a gym?  That seems odd, but whatevs...

completely agree. Around here its more like $180 (30 min away) to $250 (5 min away) and I know I could only get to it twice a week (already doing the other two most expensive sports of triathlon and riding horses).  I would love to do it, but I've been told twice a week isn't worth it.  So why spend the money?  I would think twice a week would be,  but no problem, I'll put the money towards my other hobbies.

all I know about Rhabdo is that Alan Haynesworth, that gelatinous mass of nothing good, claimed to have it when Shanahan was putting him through the ringer during training camp. 

2013-09-26 8:57 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by turtlegirl

all I know about Rhabdo is that Alan Haynesworth, that gelatinous mass of nothing good, claimed to have it when Shanahan was putting him through the ringer during training camp. 

It's Albert.....and dude's a bigger D-bag than Cord and Tony and LB combined.

I worked for the Titans when he was drafted and he missed most of camp holding out for money. On my last day, I was going around getting autographs from the players, taking pics with them, etc.....he told me "No". I laughed because I thought he was joking....and said something like "c'mon man...you're big time now, you already forget about the little people". His reply "I've always been big time" and walked away.

I have nothing to add about CF that hasn't been said.

2013-09-26 9:43 AM
in reply to: 0

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by bradleyd3

Originally posted by turtlegirl

It's Albert.....and dude's a bigger D-bag than Cord and Tony and LB combined.

I worked for the Titans when he was drafted and he missed most of camp holding out for money. On my last day, I was going around getting autographs from the players, taking pics with them, etc.....he told me "No". I laughed because I thought he was joking....and said something like "c'mon man...you're big time now, you already forget about the little people". His reply "I've always been big time" and walked away.

I have nothing to add about CF that hasn't been said.

Yet still less of a dbag than you.

Edited by mr2tony 2013-09-26 9:44 AM
2013-09-26 10:37 AM
in reply to: bradleyd3

Elite

Originally posted by bradleyd3
Originally posted by turtlegirl all I know about Rhabdo is that Alan Haynesworth, that gelatinous mass of nothing good, claimed to have it when Shanahan was putting him through the ringer during training camp. 
It's Albert.....and dude's a bigger D-bag than Cord and Tony and LB combined. I worked for the Titans when he was drafted and he missed most of camp holding out for money. On my last day, I was going around getting autographs from the players, taking pics with them, etc.....he told me "No". I laughed because I thought he was joking....and said something like "c'mon man...you're big time now, you already forget about the little people". His reply "I've always been big time" and walked away. I have nothing to add about CF that hasn't been said.

oops, you're right!!!  Albert. I forgot how many times they played Fat Albert when talking about him...

2013-09-26 10:58 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by flip18436572

There is no CrossFit in our area, because I live in small town Iowa and we are lucky to have the YMCA that we have with a 4 lane pool.  But, I know of people that were into triathlons and went to crossfit to help them in overall performance and increase strength overall.  I would like to know more about it from people that are still doing tri's and doing crossfit and has it really helped them overall.  I don't care about my triathlon speed/times as I will never be on a podium, unless DFL is a new podium spot.

I have been out of all of it (serious workout) for too long and when I was feeling my best, I was tri training, but also doing 2 days a week of arm workouts and 1 day of legs. 

I like Kido, will probably never do a handstand pushup.  Though I know I did them 35+ years ago when I was in Junior High.  Them may have been 2.

Does crossfit also include a lot of stretching?

I don't have a LOT of experience yet, but I've started working with a trainer at my gym who is both USAT certified as well as a certified cross-fit coach and the workouts we've been doing have been very-much based on full-body/cross-fit moves.  And it has kicked my A$$. 

I haven't had very many sessions with him yet, but I can tell you that my legs, arms and abs are definitely stronger than they were a month ago.  My average cycling speed has improved, and I'm much better at riding hills.  I'm going to stop my sessions about 2 weeks out from B2B, and then start up again once the race is over.  For ME (notice that I'm ONLY referring to my own experience here, people) - it's been a great way to make sure that I'm still STRONG as well as using the other workouts to gain endurance. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » CrossFit's Dirty Little Secret Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

A little sadness...a little happiness...

Started by lkct01234
Views: 737 Posts: 5

2011-10-25 9:44 AM lkct01234

Secret (or not-so-secret) Gross (not-so-gross) Habits You May or May Not Have Pages: 1 2 3

Started by TriAya
Views: 7091 Posts: 60

2014-04-22 7:37 PM braciole

Going a little less "Postal" Pages: 1 2

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 2122 Posts: 42

2009-06-20 4:49 AM SteveyD

Let's get a little less serious....

Started by hangloose
Views: 1260 Posts: 21

2007-04-17 1:13 PM chirunner134

The Mac's dirty secret.....GULP!

Started by The Mac
Views: 1164 Posts: 23

2006-08-02 12:25 PM ride_like_u_stole_it
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : November 4, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are you a mindless eater? Do you eat too much at meals? Or do you graze throughout the day? Start getting rid of those bad habits today.
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.