Columbia Triathlon Association
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m 36s
Overall Rank = 9/103
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Training race for IMFL, so no taper...just another long ride day. Was looking to execute just as I will on Nov 2 to see how pace and nutrition work. Weight is heavy at 222lbs. damn.

Full race setup on bike except for no latex tubes. Did not install ceegee pads because it felt like it changed my fit too much. need different risers on the arm pads.
Event warmup:

Breakfast was the new EN direction of Applesauce (4.5 cups!! wow), banana, 1 scoop whey protein and bottle of Perform. Ate this at 3:30a. Powerbar 1 hour before start. Gel 20 min before start.

Felt like this breakfast worked very well, but would start a little earlier to give more time for the applesauce to do it's job in full. maybe 3 or 3:15.

Got to the venue with Burke on time and feeling good.
Swim
  • 1h 20m 47s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wore blue goggles despite the sun coming up (beautiful morning!) as my tinted ones leak, and they worked well. full wetsuit. Sea Nettles were an issue, but elected not to vassy up or use Sea Safe spray due to the unknowns. got stung a few times on wrists.

Swim was fairly rough to start for such a small field (about 250 with the Ultradistance folks). good practice for the IM I guess.

Just tried to stay smooth and not burn matches. Time was about what I expected. it the first lap in 39:48 and finishing lap (slightly longer with finish chute) in 41:02.

Garmin said I swam 2.6m which is actually pretty good sighting for me.
What would you do differently?:

I need to increase yards in swimming distance. only swam more than 3000 yards a couple times. will be doing longer swims through October.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

small, steamy tent full of naked guys. I waited for about 1 min and then got one of the 5 chairs available. pretty smooth transition.

apply sunscreen.
Bike
  • 5h 05m 40s
  • 112 miles
  • 21.98 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike ride was all about holding race pace and eating nutrition.
Goal was to see if I could hit .71 or .72 IF. Ended up with .695, so it was unintentionally conservative.

Felt good out of the water and was surprised to see I was rolling so well. Passing a ton of people I was concerned that I was "that guy" at the IM who was going out too hard at the beginning of the ride. But, I just trusted my power numbers and held on. Between the IM and the Aquabike it looks like I passed about 105 people and was not passed at all. This is partly because of my slow swim, and partly because of the flat course where my weight does not count against me as much with the hills I am used too. good to know heading to IMFL which is pancake flat. If I execute well, I will expect a similar bike split setting up a good run.

Conditions were difficult as the wind was absolutely relentless except for the last 10 miles or so of each loop. Shifting and hitting about 15mph. It one point I remember swearing at the wind. My weight probably helped me though. the last ten miles though were super fast and fun, cruising through the curvy marsh area at like 28-30mph with the tailwind was a sweet way to finish.

Nutrition-wise, I think I came up very short. I started with 2 bottles of Perform, 2 powerbars, 5 Powergels, and 10 salt tabs. Ended up eating 1 1/3 powerbar, 4 gels, 6 salts tables, and I think 5.5 or 6.5 bottles of drink. This works out to about 330 calories an hour, which I think is too little based on my energy at the end. also, I did not pee for the ride. sodium level felt good as I had no bloating like I have previously.

I was supposed to run when I was finished, but between my sore neck from being in the aero position for that long, my sunburn (bad!) and my low energy levels, I decided to sit under a tree and eat nachos instead.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/379226224

so, for IMFL, I think I need to finish my food and drink more like 8-10 bottles. with more Perform, I think I will need at least 10 salt tabs to help push the liquid through the system as well.

Probably need to wear bike shorts for the IM as the tri shorts Taint gonna do it. And I may invest in a short sleeve tri top as my shoulders got fried again.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate nachos

Found out Burke and I took 2nd and 1st in our age group. awesome to share the podium together.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

undertrained for the long swim
did not eat/drink enough

Last updated: 2013-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:20:47 | 4224 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 46/103
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:05:40 | 112 miles | 21.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 5/103
Performance: Good
NP 234 AP 231 Max 20 min power 247 TSS 245 Work 4,214 KJ Cad 81 Avg HR 140bpm, Max 152bpm
Wind: Strong
Course: flat and windy
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes