United States
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 17s
Overall Rank = 16/141
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Small breakfast. Gathered a few last minute things. Almost left without my gatorade.
Event warmup:

3/4 mile warmup run.
Run
  • 13m 28s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting in the first wave reminds me how I'm not a pure runner. Although I work at it, I don't have lots of training miles and years of running under my belt. Was blown off the line by almost everyone. I sat on another guy slogging up the hill and passed him late in the run. It was a chilly morning so I wanted to keep a jacket on for the bike, but it was definitely too warm for the run. Had my Garmin over the sleeve so I was stuck unless I wanted to waste time fooling with that. My time was solid for me but it hurt.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out what to wear.
Transition 1
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Couldn't get my helmet strap buckled. First time that's happened in a while. Tried riding a bit further on top of my shoes before getting into them. Just experimenting.
Bike
  • 45m 10s
  • 17.4 miles
  • 23.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Powermeter went awol early on so went off HR, so not a big deal. I was weaving all over the road in many parts. Early on in mile 3 I hit a pothole and my left aerobar dropped down about 3". I tried to pull up on it but didn't want to do more damage. So had to ride the entire course like this. Seems like a small thing but it bugged the heck out of me. Hitting all those potholes can't be good for the carbon wheels! One of the sets of railroad tracks we had to go over were airbourne I swear. A bunnyhop would have been preferred. Is this a road race or CX? Glad to get off my bike just to save it. But then coasting in on top of my left pedal I planted my foot and twisted just slightly and my shoe came off the pedal. Had to retrieve that...more seconds. Second time that's happened this year.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Run
  • 14m 28s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Just gutted it out. Hate uphill runs at the start. No finishing kick. A guy passed me with 200 yards to go and I couldn't respond at all. Satisfied considering that I was overheating in the jacket.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down. Ate and drank while I waited for friends. The common talk was about the rough roads. Had my bike out of transition very early and waited for podium. This win wrapped up the season long series AG. I needed the win over the 3rd place fella to do it. A couple out-of-state racers weren't too far behind. What does it feel like to run sub 6's?

Event comments:

I'm more wired for longer bike courses. The course itself wasn't too easy, but the length was. Since I'm not a good runner, I don't have enough gap off the bike to hold the good runners off. Tris are easier coming out of the water near FOP and only having to deal with one run.

Last updated: 2013-09-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:28 | 02 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 40/141
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Slight uphill out and downhill back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:45:10 | 17.4 miles | 23.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 9/141
140 average HR
Wind: Some
Course: Very hilly compared to most race courses. Lots of bad roads. RD even warned us about a 1 mile stretch that was terrible.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:14:28 | 02 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 42/141
Course: Same run as first except for start and finish chute.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-25 12:40 PM

Subject: Lake Country Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Country Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

God's Country Off-Road Duathlon - Long Course

Started by daynkc
Views: 733 Posts: 1

2013-03-25 2:53 PM daynkc

God's Country Off Road Duathlon

Started by TriJayhawkRyan
Views: 1104 Posts: 1

2010-04-12 12:25 PM TriJayhawkRyan

God's Country Off Road Duathlon (Short Course)

Started by ott13979
Views: 1453 Posts: 2

2006-04-05 12:13 PM speedball

God's Country Off Road Duathlon (Short Course)

Started by speedball
Views: 1895 Posts: 9

2006-04-05 1:03 PM clamato

Lake Country Tri

Started by pammy
Views: 1103 Posts: 4

2004-08-30 1:31 PM zagagirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.