Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA fun begins on Oct 1 (mines beginning already) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-10-01 8:21 AM
in reply to: buck1400

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: ACA fun begins on Oct 1 (mines beginning already)

Originally posted by buck1400 For me, I am really hoping the new exchanges and the elimination of the pre-existing condition factor will allow me to get coverage for my wife, who has been denied coverage.

And here is the problem.  There are truly people that cannot get insurance, and those who cannot afford it.  All along the message was we (the people who take care of ourselves, are healthy, and work hard at our jobs to be successful) are already paying for those without insurance.

Now with the "Affordable" Healthcare Act, I will see higher premiums, with high deductible plans, that make me less successful from a financial standpoint.  So you are hurting the responsible (maybe not the best choice of word) people to help those who need help.  

So where is my voice in all this?  Well it comes down to the fact that there are more people living off gov. than working hard to be financially independent.  More people looking for Gov. handouts than getting good paying jobs.  That means, I am in the minority, and I no longer have a voice.  

It's a sad day.

2013-10-01 9:52 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro

Well, the PPACA is in effect. I tried to set up an account and it told me three times to be patient, that the system was very busy. Fourth time I got to page 3 and it died trying to do a database write.

It's not encouraging to see the errors, but I'm not surprised. Commercial sites don't do much better. Does anyone now if they anticipated a massive number of users trying to sign up on the first day? 

2013-10-01 10:06 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Well, the PPACA is in effect. I tried to set up an account and it told me three times to be patient, that the system was very busy. Fourth time I got to page 3 and it died trying to do a database write.

It's not encouraging to see the errors, but I'm not surprised. Commercial sites don't do much better. Does anyone now if they anticipated a massive number of users trying to sign up on the first day? 

Purely from an IT standpoint this is a massive undertaking to make something like this work out of the gate.  When you throw in the complexities of coordinating the government bid process and whoever the company that ultimately won the contract it adds another layer of complexity.

You're basically taking a start up website that's never had a customer and inundating it with google sized traffic on it's opening day.  I feel sorry for the IT guys in the bubble on this one.  
They were probably hoping the government shut down today.  lol

2013-10-01 10:15 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
tony I agree. look at active with the Chicago Marathon. They been in business how long and 70k people tried to register in a day. Today they might have millions.
2013-10-01 10:22 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by chirunner134 tony I agree. look at active with the Chicago Marathon. They been in business how long and 70k people tried to register in a day. Today they might have millions.

Yep, technology is awesome when it works and painful when it doesn't.  I am curious how long it's going to take the hackers to find some embarrassing exploits that everyone will parade around.

2013-10-01 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by tuwood

Purely from an IT standpoint this is a massive undertaking to make something like this work out of the gate.  When you throw in the complexities of coordinating the government bid process and whoever the company that ultimately won the contract it adds another layer of complexity.

You're basically taking a start up website that's never had a customer and inundating it with google sized traffic on it's opening day.  I feel sorry for the IT guys in the bubble on this one.  

Believe me, I know. I run a company that does research and scientific software. I know what a headache it is to roll things out. I'm sure you know the adage that everything would work perfectly if it wasn't for the users. Development -> Test ->Production ->Oh sh*t

2013-10-01 10:44 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Believe me, I know. I run a company that does research and scientific software. I know what a headache it is to roll things out. I'm sure you know the adage that everything would work perfectly if it wasn't for the users. Development -> Test ->Production ->Oh sh*t

Do you remember that old superbowl commercial.  I think it was back around 2001 or 2002 for Fedex or UPS.  They showed a bunch of guys in a dot com startup bringing their website live and had a screen with the number of orders.

It clicked over to 1 and they all started jumping up and down and celebrating and then it went to 5, 10, 20, 100 and they kept getting more excited.  Then it went to 1000, 2000, 10,000 and they all got really quiet and started to panic.

I always think of that scene when big launches like this don't go too well.

2013-10-01 11:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Do you remember that old superbowl commercial.  I think it was back around 2001 or 2002 for Fedex or UPS.  They showed a bunch of guys in a dot com startup bringing their website live and had a screen with the number of orders.

It clicked over to 1 and they all started jumping up and down and celebrating and then it went to 5, 10, 20, 100 and they kept getting more excited.  Then it went to 1000, 2000, 10,000 and they all got really quiet and started to panic.

I always think of that scene when big launches like this don't go too well.

One of the very first things I learned was never to give a live demonstration of a new system during an important meeting. First time this happened was in 1993, trying to demonstrate the NIH intramural website at their annual research conference. As it happened we didn't think about the fact that you couldn't access the website from the conference center because they were not on our network. So 10 minutes of my boss frantically reconfiguring the server while the Director of NIH waited.

I have health insurance but was curious to see what it would be through the exchange as a small business. Guess I have to wait. My rates have gone up nearly 50% over the last 3 years through BC/BS. It's really a business killer, I can't offer a scientist a part-time job, it's full time with benefits or they go elsewhere.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-10-01 11:02 AM
2013-10-01 11:06 AM
in reply to: buck1400

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by buck1400

For me, I am really hoping the new exchanges and the elimination of the pre-existing condition factor will allow me to get coverage for my wife, who has been denied coverage.

There are certainly problematic provisions of the ACA. But I wanted to share just how much I agree with buck1400 on this. You see, I'm like his wife in that I have a pre-existing condition. I've had Type 1 diabetes for 20+ years...otherwise no health problems. However, that one strike makes me uninsurable on my own. I'm not overweight and no "eating too much sugar" did not cause it. No one knows why I got it. Short of a cure, I will always have it and will always need insulin to keep me alive.

I'm very fortunate to have excellent group coverage right now. I use that to take good care of myself, but my care is not cheap. Test strips, insulin pump and related supplies, insulin, lots of doctor appts. to check blood work, eyes, etc. Hopefully that prevents or delays complications that will be even more costly and allows me to be as productive as possible. To many people, I guess I would be considered a "drain on the system"....you know....one of those "unhealthy" people who the young healthy ones don't want to pay for. So yes, requiring insurance companies to cover the likes of me is something that I'm very glad is part of the ACA. Not pointing fingers at any individuals here, but if you think you don't have any worries along those same lines because you are fit, eat right, etc.....think again. I was diagnosed as an otherwise healthy, active 27 year old. Before that I thought I had no worries either.
2013-10-01 11:08 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I have health insurance but was curious to see what it would be through the exchange as a small business. Guess I have to wait. My rates have gone up nearly 50% over the last 3 years through BC/BS. It's really a business killer, I can't offer a scientist a part-time job, it's full time with benefits or they go elsewhere.

I did the exact same thing this morning for the same reasons.  I'm curious what the small business plans are going to be.  I'm not sure if they're out or not because I saw something in the local paper saying they were delayed until Nov 15, but our "exchange" is ran by the Feds.

2013-10-01 12:32 PM

User image

Pro

I did the exact same thing this morning for the same reasons.  I'm curious what the small business plans are going to be.  I'm not sure if they're out or not because I saw something in the local paper saying they were delayed until Nov 15, but our "exchange" is ran by the Feds.

Don't bother trying to follow the link, there is a problem with accessing the data set. There's an error and it's marked
"private." 

To get ready to offer insurance to your employees through the SHOP Marketplace, you can do two things now:

Or you can wait until November to handle the entire application process online.

2013-10-01 1:02 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by squirt
Originally posted by buck1400 For me, I am really hoping the new exchanges and the elimination of the pre-existing condition factor will allow me to get coverage for my wife, who has been denied coverage.
There are certainly problematic provisions of the ACA. But I wanted to share just how much I agree with buck1400 on this. You see, I'm like his wife in that I have a pre-existing condition. I've had Type 1 diabetes for 20+ years...otherwise no health problems. However, that one strike makes me uninsurable on my own. I'm not overweight and no "eating too much sugar" did not cause it. No one knows why I got it. Short of a cure, I will always have it and will always need insulin to keep me alive. I'm very fortunate to have excellent group coverage right now. I use that to take good care of myself, but my care is not cheap. Test strips, insulin pump and related supplies, insulin, lots of doctor appts. to check blood work, eyes, etc. Hopefully that prevents or delays complications that will be even more costly and allows me to be as productive as possible. To many people, I guess I would be considered a "drain on the system"....you know....one of those "unhealthy" people who the young healthy ones don't want to pay for. So yes, requiring insurance companies to cover the likes of me is something that I'm very glad is part of the ACA. Not pointing fingers at any individuals here, but if you think you don't have any worries along those same lines because you are fit, eat right, etc.....think again. I was diagnosed as an otherwise healthy, active 27 year old. Before that I thought I had no worries either.

Please know, I am not picking on you, I just want to use your example as an example.

So let me ask this question...  What is the purpose of Insurance?  It is to protect you from unforseen illnesses or injury.  They make money by betting that you will pay more than you use.  In this case, you are a loss for them.  So I can totally see a law that prevents them from dropping a person that they gambled and lost on, but to have them accept a case where they are guaranteed to lose, does not make sense...  In my opinion.

One of the benefits (good things) of OC is that people who can not afford insurance will be able to get it.  And everyone will be able to get insurance even with pre-existing conditions.  But I'm not sure why I should pay more for something I use less?  That is what doesn't add up.

2013-10-01 1:10 PM

Veteran
Ohio
Originally posted by velocomp

There are certainly problematic provisions of the ACA. But I wanted to share just how much I agree with buck1400 on this. You see, I'm like his wife in that I have a pre-existing condition. I've had Type 1 diabetes for 20+ years...otherwise no health problems. However, that one strike makes me uninsurable on my own. I'm not overweight and no "eating too much sugar" did not cause it. No one knows why I got it. Short of a cure, I will always have it and will always need insulin to keep me alive. I'm very fortunate to have excellent group coverage right now. I use that to take good care of myself, but my care is not cheap. Test strips, insulin pump and related supplies, insulin, lots of doctor appts. to check blood work, eyes, etc. Hopefully that prevents or delays complications that will be even more costly and allows me to be as productive as possible. To many people, I guess I would be considered a "drain on the system"....you know....one of those "unhealthy" people who the young healthy ones don't want to pay for. So yes, requiring insurance companies to cover the likes of me is something that I'm very glad is part of the ACA. Not pointing fingers at any individuals here, but if you think you don't have any worries along those same lines because you are fit, eat right, etc.....think again. I was diagnosed as an otherwise healthy, active 27 year old. Before that I thought I had no worries either.

Please know, I am not picking on you, I just want to use your example as an example.

So let me ask this question...  What is the purpose of Insurance?  It is to protect you from unforseen illnesses or injury.  They make money by betting that you will pay more than you use.  In this case, you are a loss for them.  So I can totally see a law that prevents them from dropping a person that they gambled and lost on, but to have them accept a case where they are guaranteed to lose, does not make sense...  In my opinion.

One of the benefits (good things) of OC is that people who can not afford insurance will be able to get it.  And everyone will be able to get insurance even with pre-existing conditions.  But I'm not sure why I should pay more for something I use less?  That is what doesn't add up.

My wife takes depression medication and had a mole removed from her shoulder (BCC). Denied. WTF? What are my options??? Without what ACA is hopefully providing, our only option left was to try again and lie on the medical history form.
2013-10-01 3:15 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm really curious to see what the plans will actually look like.  Even for the currently uninsured, the basic plans appear to have very high deductibles and stiff out of pocket requirements.  So, if you couldn't afford care before how are you going to afford insurance (even with the subsidy) and pay $3k-$5k out of pocket before the insurance kicks in.

On another note my facebook is really starting to light up today with Obama fanboy's dancing around about how everyone gets free healthcare now and the world is awesome.  I posted that my company plan was being canceled due to non ACA compliance and somebody told me I was an idiot and it wasn't being canceled.  I was informed that I need to stop reading republican propaganda sites because nobody's current plans were going away.  I messaged him a picture of the letter, but haven't gotten a response yet.  lol

Oh, the dedication of the uninformed escapes me.

2013-10-01 3:29 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

I'm really curious to see what the plans will actually look like.  Even for the currently uninsured, the basic plans appear to have very high deductibles and stiff out of pocket requirements.  So, if you couldn't afford care before how are you going to afford insurance (even with the subsidy) and pay $3k-$5k out of pocket before the insurance kicks in.

On another note my facebook is really starting to light up today with Obama fanboy's dancing around about how everyone gets free healthcare now and the world is awesome.  I posted that my company plan was being canceled due to non ACA compliance and somebody told me I was an idiot and it wasn't being canceled.  I was informed that I need to stop reading republican propaganda sites because nobody's current plans were going away.  I messaged him a picture of the letter, but haven't gotten a response yet.  lol

My brother got a letter from his insurance company yesterday. His HSA plan was not compliant, and his door prize was his premium going from $120 to 216 and his deductible going from $4000 to $6800. He is 26 and hasn't needed to go to the doctor in 2 years.
2013-10-01 3:32 PM

User image

Pro

I'm really curious to see what the plans will actually look like. Even for the currently uninsured, the basic plans appear to have very high deductibles and stiff out of pocket requirements.  So, if you couldn't afford care before how are you going to afford insurance (even with the subsidy) and pay $3k-$5k out of pocket before the insurance kicks in.

I hear there are fluffy and pink with rainbows and unicorns sprinkled throughout.

The Shop plans are working now, Tony. I downloaded them and will take a look. I had to laugh though, I started scrolling through them online and it randomly stopped at Transylvania, NC. Hope it's not an omen.

2013-10-01 3:47 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I lost my job and my place of residence due to congress not passing a bill to grant the funding to my project. Sure they did about 2 months later but I know 14 people that lost there jobs that day. After 2 months we could come back if we wanted too but lucky for me I got another one. I did not want to go through that again. It happens. WE were not Fed employees but temps for a government contractor. I am sure a number of people lost there jobs today.
2013-10-01 3:54 PM

User image

Pro

Data overload, but I was able to match a plan on the Shop website to existing coverage. It's nearly identical, same provider, same services, deductible, copay, etc. For myself it is $49 a month less.

There are actually 35 plans available in my area. That I didn't expect.

2013-10-01 3:56 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm really curious to see what the plans will actually look like. Even for the currently uninsured, the basic plans appear to have very high deductibles and stiff out of pocket requirements.  So, if you couldn't afford care before how are you going to afford insurance (even with the subsidy) and pay $3k-$5k out of pocket before the insurance kicks in.

I hear there are fluffy and pink with rainbows and unicorns sprinkled throughout.

The Shop plans are working now, Tony. I downloaded them and will take a look. I had to laugh though, I started scrolling through them online and it randomly stopped at Transylvania, NC. Hope it's not an omen.

I just looked and they give you the premium, but say nothing about the coverage.  I'm thinking this isn't going to be good because my premium today for my whole family is a little over $500 and the cheapest bronze plan for a couple with 2 children (I have 3) is almost $700.

2013-10-01 3:59 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Data overload, but I was able to match a plan on the Shop website to existing coverage. It's nearly identical, same provider, same services, deductible, copay, etc. For myself it is $49 a month less.

I must have missed something.  I just got a spreadsheet with fees on it and no coverages listed

2013-10-01 4:12 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Even thought this screwed over a coworker immensely, he has a sense of humor.  Made a joke about riding Lake Mead Natl Rec Area.  The roads will be empty.  Just lift the bike over the barricade and go.

I completely plan to just run the trails at Red Rock Natl Conservation area this weekend.  Park outside and run in.

BTW, I'm not stealing either, because it's free to run/ride there.  Just not drive, and I won't be doing that.

2013-10-01 4:32 PM

User image

Pro

I must have missed something.  I just got a spreadsheet with fees on it and no coverages listed

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. I took the plan from the sheet and went to the provider website for the details. It's Independence Blue Cross. If your provider doesn't have that particular plan on their website it will be pretty hard to do the comparison.

2013-10-01 4:51 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

No offense taken...all in the spirit of discussion/debate. I totally get that insurance companies are in business, and business logic says I'm a known loss at this point (side note: I'm a CPA and have actually worked for an insurance company in my checkered past ). If I need to stand on my own on a policy and have no help from folks who are currently healthy, the insurance company has to jack the premiums up so high that I can't possibly afford them. So either I go broke from the insurance payments or I go broke from paying for all my insulin/supplies/medical care out of pocket. Like it or not (and believe me I don't like it either), someone has to either help subsidize me staying alive (currently the other folks that are part of the group policy I have now), or the underlying cost of my life sustaining treatment needs to become something that at least the average Joe can afford. Regardless of the purpose of insurance, the reality is that I need something that I can afford without bankruptcy that will allow me to stay as healthy and productive as I can. You can call it insurance, or welfare, or whatever else, but bottom line is I need it.

Entitlement mentality....maybe...but I'm kind of prone to wanting to survive and at least have a chance to thrive. If you knew me in real life, you would know that I'm a hard worker, and not otherwise prone to wanting "handouts". I lean right on many issues. But yes, I do think you and other folks who are healthy at the moment should pay more for something that you use less so that I can survive and have a fair chance to be productive in my life. I like to think I would be happy to do the same for you were our roles reversed, and at this stage I would be. But to be honest, I'm not sure my 25 year old self (pre-diabetes) would have been. It's been a game changer in many ways.

I don't have children, but I pay property taxes to send my neighbors' children to school. Yes, I benefitted from our public school system as a child, but I was an only child and my neighbors have three kids. I'm OK with subsidizing them because I feel that it is for the greater good that all children, regardless of income or family size, can get a basic education. I also feel that it is for the greater good that all adults, regardless of pre-existing conditions, can get affordable heath care.

I hope that just as Tuwood has brought in his real life story of struggling to deal with this this as a business owner, that I could bring in my personal experience/perspective as someone who was otherwise "uninsurable" without a change in the system.
2013-10-01 5:23 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. I took the plan from the sheet and went to the provider website for the details. It's Independence Blue Cross. If your provider doesn't have that particular plan on their website it will be pretty hard to do the comparison.

ok, that makes more sense.  

Unfortunately my current provider chose to not participate in the exchange so I won't know what's available from them for a while.

I did spot check a close to ours plan on BCBS and it was definitely more, but not a crazy amount more.  Looking at about $200/mo. more per person.  The part that I was worried about was if there would still be HSA (like) plans available with similar deductibles and that appears to be the case.

I will say though, the HDHP that's similar for my family is $895/mo. and then you tack on the $3k deductible before insurance covers anything.  So that's $13,740 out of pocket for a family of 5 before one penny gets covered by the insurance.  This would be approximately $2400 more per year for my family, assuming i switched to the similar BCBS plan.  I don't qualify for any subsidies, so mines all out of pocket.

I also did a hypothetical exercise just for curiosity.  I put it through the calculator that my family only makes $45k in income.  The cheapest bronze plan is $700/mo. and it has a deductible of $4750 (individual) and $9500 (family).  The maximum I would have to pay at that income (per ACA guidelines) would be 9.5% of my annual income or $356/mo and the government would pick up the additional $344.  So if I had no insurance before because it was too expensive, I am now mandated by law to pay $4272 out of pocket next year for insurance and then fork out up to another $9500 before my insurance pays for anything?  I think I'd be forced into just paying the fine and I'm not sure how this is helping the poor any?

Interesting

2013-10-02 10:24 AM

User image

Pro

ok, that makes more sense.  

Unfortunately my current provider chose to not participate in the exchange so I won't know what's available from them for a while.

I did spot check a close to ours plan on BCBS and it was definitely more, but not a crazy amount more.  Looking at about $200/mo. more per person.  The part that I was worried about was if there would still be HSA (like) plans available with similar deductibles and that appears to be the case.

I will say though, the HDHP that's similar for my family is $895/mo. and then you tack on the $3k deductible before insurance covers anything.  So that's $13,740 out of pocket for a family of 5 before one penny gets covered by the insurance.  This would be approximately $2400 more per year for my family, assuming i switched to the similar BCBS plan.  I don't qualify for any subsidies, so mines all out of pocket.

I also did a hypothetical exercise just for curiosity.  I put it through the calculator that my family only makes $45k in income.  The cheapest bronze plan is $700/mo. and it has a deductible of $4750 (individual) and $9500 (family).  The maximum I would have to pay at that income (per ACA guidelines) would be 9.5% of my annual income or $356/mo and the government would pick up the additional $344.  So if I had no insurance before because it was too expensive, I am now mandated by law to pay $4272 out of pocket next year for insurance and then fork out up to another $9500 before my insurance pays for anything?  I think I'd be forced into just paying the fine and I'm not sure how this is helping the poor any?

Interesting

It's clear that rates and plans vary widely depending on location. IBX has Philly completely locked up so I am not surprised they continued to offer similar plans. I see they just asked to be allowed to restructure as not-for-profit within this region, but as a for-profit outside of this region. Within this region they are a $10 billion company, of which all but $324 million was non-taxable. Their effective tax rate is 2.3%. I could not find compensation data for 2012, but in 2008 the CEO made $2.9 million. What a racket.

Does that deductible apply to office visits and basic preventative health care? If not, that's pretty bad.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA fun begins on Oct 1 (mines beginning already) Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Anti-mining protest on video

Started by bootygirl
Views: 1758 Posts: 8

2013-07-18 7:54 AM KateTri1

ACA Employer Mandate Pushed to 2015

Started by Aarondb4
Views: 1308 Posts: 4

2013-07-08 9:20 AM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
If you ask beginning triathletes what they fear most, a standard response usually includes some reference to mass swim starts and bike crashes.

date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!
date : August 13, 2008
author :
comments : 0
Then the race bell went off and I started swimming, and I thought I was going to die. All of my swim practice did not prepare me for the chaos that is the beginning of a triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You will need to practice a couple of things to get those hips to the surface of the water, where they should be. The two drills involve head position and balance.
date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.

date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable
date : October 2, 2005
author : janicebondar
I committed a serious faux pas; trespassed into taboo territory, inviting all those karma chickens to come home to roost - Recounting my most recent DNS ("Did Not Start")

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.