Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA fun begins on Oct 1 (mines beginning already) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-11-06 1:17 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: ACA fun begins on Oct 1 (mines beginning already)
I just thought I'd add in an update. Our benefit enrollment just opened and it appear my plan is largely unchanged. My insurance went up $14/month to $295/mo for me and the family. There is also a couple of new ACA fees totalling $65 for the year as well. I haven't had a chance to sit down and dig through the details on the plans themselves yet but I will tonight with my wife.

2013-11-06 1:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by JoshR I just thought I'd add in an update. Our benefit enrollment just opened and it appear my plan is largely unchanged. My insurance went up $14/month to $295/mo for me and the family. There is also a couple of new ACA fees totalling $65 for the year as well. I haven't had a chance to sit down and dig through the details on the plans themselves yet but I will tonight with my wife.

I am in open enrollment too. Medical premiums for the same coverage went up just over 14%. Not too thrilled with it, and wasn't too thrilled with the coverage to begin with. They did away with the HMO option for 2013, and the new PPO plan is less than 100% coverage for most things. I've gotten more doctor bills this year for routine stuff than I ever have before. Nickle and dime stuff too, almost literally; $3.50 for an MRI. I want to know how I can get the special rate the insurance company gets. The service providers always accept less than the actual fee from the insurer, but not the insured. I suppose it could be worse, they could try to get the full balance from me instead of just $3.50.

ETA - Don't know that any of this has anything to do with ACA

Edited by mrbbrad 2013-11-06 1:44 PM
2013-11-06 2:48 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Champion
PA

We had 6 plans (two PPO and two EPO).  Now we have 4 and those all went up by at least 10%. 

The two cheapest plans were removed so we do have some people who are not happy.

2013-11-06 3:17 PM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by Pector55

We had 6 plans (two PPO and two EPO).  Now we have 4 and those all went up by at least 10%. 

The two cheapest plans were removed so we do have some people who are not happy.

I should have added we have 3 plan levels and I'm on the lowest one still. I didn't check to see how the other 2 were affected.
2013-11-06 3:20 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Originally posted by JoshR

I should have added we have 3 plan levels and I'm on the lowest one still. I didn't check to see how the other 2 were affected.

My premiums went up 0.58% with no changes to coverage, co-pays or deductibles.
2013-11-06 3:33 PM
in reply to: sbreaux

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by sbreaux

Originally posted by JoshR

My premiums went up 0.58% with no changes to coverage, co-pays or deductibles.

Mine didn't go up at my old job. And they're not going up at the new job.

2013-11-06 3:37 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
we go to June 1st. Not sure how much it went up the first year I was here but It was about 11% last year.
2013-11-06 3:42 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm really curious to the comparison of large employer health plans vs. the smaller groups.  I know I'm in a small group and it was whacked and we have fewer options at higher costs.

I'm curious if the larger company pools that aren't going up that much are using "grandfathered" plans or if they're newer ACA compliant plans.

Edited by tuwood 2013-11-06 3:48 PM
2013-11-06 4:36 PM
in reply to: tuwood

New user
Self insured here and my plan was dropped, not sure what I am going to do now. Cannot afford an upgrade, so I will prob just pay the penalty. Actually won't pay the penalty since they can't collect it unless they owe you a refund and that never happens for me. So much for the "if you like your plan" lie.
2013-11-06 6:13 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by NXS

Self insured here and my plan was dropped, not sure what I am going to do now. Cannot afford an upgrade, so I will prob just pay the penalty. Actually won't pay the penalty since they can't collect it unless they owe you a refund and that never happens for me. So much for the "if you like your plan" lie.

You can get a subsidized plan if you don't make enough to afford one. I would look into that.
2013-11-07 8:52 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by tuwood

I'm really curious to the comparison of large employer health plans vs. the smaller groups.  I know I'm in a small group and it was whacked and we have fewer options at higher costs.

I'm curious if the larger company pools that aren't going up that much are using "grandfathered" plans or if they're newer ACA compliant plans.

I work for a large-ish company (14,000 employees in the US) and have not heard a peep. I'm curious as well.

2013-11-07 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

I would think a vast majority of "large employer health plans" meet the minimum standards set forth by the ACA, so there wouldn't be an issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that even if a plan's dynamics change, as long as those changes still meet the minimum standards, it can remain in place.

The only question is the changes to premiums this year vs. last.
2013-11-07 10:41 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

I work for a sizable company (I think ~7,000) just for more info on my plan. I also checked and it doesn't appear my plan details have changed much at all from last year.
2013-11-07 11:01 AM
in reply to: sbreaux

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by sbreaux

I would think a vast majority of "large employer health plans" meet the minimum standards set forth by the ACA, so there wouldn't be an issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that even if a plan's dynamics change, as long as those changes still meet the minimum standards, it can remain in place. The only question is the changes to premiums this year vs. last.

I honestly don't know, but I would guess that you're correct.  I'm also wondering if the extension of the employer mandate could have some line item as well.

2013-11-07 3:30 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by NXS Self insured here and my plan was dropped, not sure what I am going to do now. Cannot afford an upgrade, so I will prob just pay the penalty. Actually won't pay the penalty since they can't collect it unless they owe you a refund and that never happens for me. So much for the "if you like your plan" lie.
You can get a subsidized plan if you don't make enough to afford one. I would look into that.

He had a plan that he liked and was his personal choice, now he's got the govt telling him what he really needs and charging him more.....yeah thanks Nancy, now that we passed the bill and found out what's in it we're realizing it's a bunch of bovine excrement.

2013-11-07 4:20 PM
in reply to: bsjracing

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by bsjracing

Originally posted by NXS Self insured here and my plan was dropped, not sure what I am going to do now. Cannot afford an upgrade, so I will prob just pay the penalty. Actually won't pay the penalty since they can't collect it unless they owe you a refund and that never happens for me. So much for the "if you like your plan" lie.

He had a plan that he liked and was his personal choice, now he's got the govt telling him what he really needs and charging him more.....yeah thanks Nancy, now that we passed the bill and found out what's in it we're realizing it's a bunch of bovine excrement.

Yep that's the law, in a nutshell. Thanks for the recap. Life sucks all around, doesn't it.

2013-11-07 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Romney/Ryan 2012.....oh, wait.....we've already been there/done that.

Folks, the ACA is the law.  And it's not going away.  It obviously needs alot of work, but so did Medicade/Medicare.  It's time to stop the bickering about the implementation....it's already implemented.   Some folks hate it, some folks like it.  Majority of folks don't care.  MSNBC (very-left leaning, I know) had poll numbers that said the popularity of ACA has actually increased by a few percentage points.  Can't we talk about something else....Chris Christie?  Rand Paul?

http://global.christianpost.com/news/obamacare-popularity-rises-in-gallup-poll-despite-technical-difficulties-with-aca-website-107305/

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-11-07 4:34 PM
2013-11-07 4:56 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Folks, the ACA is the law.  And it's not going away.  It obviously needs alot of work, but so did Medicade/Medicare.  It's time to stop the bickering about the implementation....it's already implemented.   Some folks hate it, some folks like it.  Majority of folks don't care.  MSNBC (very-left leaning, I know) had poll numbers that said the popularity of ACA has actually increased by a few percentage points.  Can't we talk about something else....Chris Christie?  Rand Paul?

http://global.christianpost.com/news/obamacare-popularity-rises-in-gallup-poll-despite-technical-difficulties-with-aca-website-107305/

I have never understood this point of view. Laws in this country are not written in stone. I'm sure people made the same argument following the Volstead Act. That was a bad law that was later overturned. Should the nation have left it be since it was law?

I mean, I can't understand why people would be upset about a law that only passed the Senate because the Democratic State Assembly gave the Democratic Governor of MA the ability to fill Ted Kennedy's seat after his death. The seat would later be won by Scott Brown forcing the Senate into an unprecedented use of reconciliation.

Yep, no room for criticism there

Plus we are on the same website that has debated headphones on the bike about eleventy billion times since I joined. Arguing and complaining is just what we do here.
2013-11-07 5:26 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by uclamatt2007

I have never understood this point of view. Laws in this country are not written in stone. I'm sure people made the same argument following the Volstead Act. That was a bad law that was later overturned. Should the nation have left it be since it was law? I mean, I can't understand why people would be upset about a law that only passed the Senate because the Democratic State Assembly gave the Democratic Governor of MA the ability to fill Ted Kennedy's seat after his death. The seat would later be won by Scott Brown forcing the Senate into an unprecedented use of reconciliation. Yep, no room for criticism there Plus we are on the same website that has debated headphones on the bike about eleventy billion times since I joined. Arguing and complaining is just what we do here.

(shakes head)...I know.....I know.   Just venting after long day of gainful, Govt. employment.   Carry On! 

BTW:  Headphones are tools of the DEVIL!

2013-11-07 9:19 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by uclamatt2007

I have never understood this point of view. Laws in this country are not written in stone. I'm sure people made the same argument following the Volstead Act. That was a bad law that was later overturned. Should the nation have left it be since it was law? I mean, I can't understand why people would be upset about a law that only passed the Senate because the Democratic State Assembly gave the Democratic Governor of MA the ability to fill Ted Kennedy's seat after his death. The seat would later be won by Scott Brown forcing the Senate into an unprecedented use of reconciliation. Yep, no room for criticism there Plus we are on the same website that has debated headphones on the bike about eleventy billion times since I joined. Arguing and complaining is just what we do here.

Don't forget the Cornhusker kickback that had a string on it.  Here's your kick back... oh wait, never mind you already voted.  

2013-11-08 7:03 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

New user

Originally posted by bsjracing

Yep that's the law, in a nutshell. Thanks for the recap. Life sucks all around, doesn't it.

I don't want a f&%#$%* subsidy. A subsidy is someone else's hard earned dollars going to me. I was happy and making it on my own, and now the Democrats say just depend on the gov. Well guess what? I don't want a damn thing from the gov. but to be left alone. I guess I have what most of the people in this nation don't, pride and self reliance.

2013-11-08 10:39 AM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Well I guess I get to join in the fun. Just got my renewal info. My plan is gone. What can I get instead? Best match is 96% rate increase and OVER TRIPLE the deductible. I am a healthy 31 year old small business owner. Haven't seen what will happen with the rest of the family yet. Yikes.
2013-11-08 11:44 AM
in reply to: bradword

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

Just found out our coverage(provided by wife's employer) is going up as a direct result of the ACA.  Thanks alot for this new tax Washington.

2013-11-08 12:41 PM
in reply to: bsjracing

User image

Champion
PA

Well, in reference to large vs. small companies.  I reported above on a complany with over 44k employees.  We are a 5 billion dollar a year corp.

I call BS on the excuses used for opening the website.  There are ways to simulate load on websites, size databases, etc to handle the problems they are having.  A website like this is not that spectacular of a project to complete and given 2 years to complete it was fair.  Had it been slow it would be one thing but it looks as though they never did any level of testing.This is more of a reflection on the inefficiency within goverment and too much emphasis for scratching backs instead of serving the people.  

• Expedited contract rushed to where only 4 vendors even bid.
  • Awarded to a company with a history of failure (CGI).
    • CGI cost Canada a ton of money when they attempted the gun registry.  Again, not something very complicated.
    • CGI also has a bad record for their work to distribute the 1.7 billion in Hurricane Sandy relief.
  • It shows poor judgement to award it to a company who has a senior exec that graduated Princeton with Michelle Obama.  Conincidence or not, it's poor judgement.
2013-11-08 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

Originally posted by NXS 

I don't want a f&%#$%* subsidy. A subsidy is someone else's hard earned dollars going to me. I was happy and making it on my own, and now the Democrats say just depend on the gov. Well guess what? I don't want a damn thing from the gov. but to be left alone. I guess I have what most of the people in this nation don't, pride and self reliance.

Bravo

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » ACA fun begins on Oct 1 (mines beginning already) Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Anti-mining protest on video

Started by bootygirl
Views: 1762 Posts: 8

2013-07-18 7:54 AM KateTri1

ACA Employer Mandate Pushed to 2015

Started by Aarondb4
Views: 1308 Posts: 4

2013-07-08 9:20 AM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
If you ask beginning triathletes what they fear most, a standard response usually includes some reference to mass swim starts and bike crashes.

date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!
date : August 13, 2008
author :
comments : 0
Then the race bell went off and I started swimming, and I thought I was going to die. All of my swim practice did not prepare me for the chaos that is the beginning of a triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You will need to practice a couple of things to get those hips to the surface of the water, where they should be. The two drills involve head position and balance.
date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.

date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable
date : October 2, 2005
author : janicebondar
I committed a serious faux pas; trespassed into taboo territory, inviting all those karma chickens to come home to roost - Recounting my most recent DNS ("Did Not Start")

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.