RedMan Triathlon
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 33m 39s
Overall Rank = 120/
Age Group = 31-35
Age Group Rank = 20/50
Pre-race routine:

got up and had the standard oatmeal breakfast with a banana. Got packed up and headed to the course.
Event warmup:

got in a short stretch and jog.
Swim
  • 40m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt like the swim was good, but overall time was a bit slow. needed to push a bit to keep drafts, and navigation was a little off but not bad. felt great getting out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Push the swim a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

transition was smooth and quick. suit stuck a bit but the stripper got it taken care of and I was on my way. did not jump on the bike due to a slight incline on the mount dismount line. figured I had plenty of time to make up a second or two.

good transition stayed calm and moved quickly.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.16 mile/hr
Comments:

First half of the bike was quick and smooth. I pushed the first 10 miles to get away from the groups and it had a slight down hill. picked up a water, to fill both cages. Quickly drank one bottle to catch the second aid station gatorade. starting working in some more fluids and kept to my nutrition plan. hit the turn around at about 1hr 13mins. I was flying to this point and feeling good.

On the way back I was still moving at a solid rate but got passed by a lot of people. about mile 40 my stomach began to get upset, and progressivly got worse till mile 46.2, where I parked in the ditch and threw up my nutrition plan and fluids. 2 -3 minutes later I was back on the bike but making much slower progress. Felt better but was worried when the bonk would begin. rode in the last 10 miles at about 18.5-19mph. by the last 2 miles I was actually feeling fresh and ready to run. Only problem I knew I was dehydrated.

make sure my bottle contained the gatoraid water mix and only pick up waters. I think the extra sugars were the cause of the stomach issues. I had never had any issues before this in training or racing, and the fluid change was the only thing I changed.

Overall I rode faster than I had 2 years ago.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

transition was good. I was a little more cautious due to my last race dismount. got my feet on my shoes and made a good dismount. got gear switched cleanly, took a bite of my nutrition bar but I was not sure if I could hold it down so I spit it out.

tried a shot of water on the way out of transition and could not keep it down. dehydration was getting worse.

not puke on the bike.
Run
  • 2h 03m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

first few miles were good and fast, I was trying to get as far as possible, attempted to sip water, I was able to hold it down if I got very small amounts, any foods came back up.

about mile 4 my energy left my legs, and i was feeling the effects of my earlier issues. I also started blistering on both feet. (this has never happened) by mile 7 I was doing a run walk mix and by mile 10 it was more walking than running.

blister- this was a mental mistake. I have been taping my feet all summer battling arch issues. got it all healed up about 3 weeks before race and was running fast. due to the taping my feet never got toughened up this summer. I think I would have been fine if I would have taped. Who would have thought that getting better would cause a new race issue.
Post race
Warm down:

stretch, walking and napping.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

stomach issues.

Event comments:

absolutely one of the best races I have seen.

Last updated: 2013-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:18 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/50
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra volt
Course: was set up as a rectangle, two long sides and shorts sides were roughly 50yds. bouyss were spaced about every 150 yds for good sighting.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:46:40 | 56 miles | 20.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/50
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: single loop with little elevation change. Roads were rough but well marked to see hazards. Course had good aid stations with plenty of fluids.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:03:57 | 13.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/50
Performance: Below average
lap one 52 mins. lap two 1hr 11min. first 4 miles paced out a 7:18 per mile.
Course: course was flat and a two loop around the lake. paved and smooth, but a little skinny in a few spots.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-25 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
jenks
Subject: Redman Half Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redman Half Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Redman Half Distance Triathlon

Started by handyhammer
Views: 1929 Posts: 5

2011-10-17 11:10 AM neweyes

Started by
Views: 585 Posts: 1

2011-09-26 6:44 PM

Started by mikec123
Views: 1744 Posts: 3

2012-07-30 7:01 PM SCPEGUY

Started by quickjel
Views: 1262 Posts: 1

2010-09-28 8:13 AM quickjel

Started by krashockey
Views: 1301 Posts: 1

2010-09-26 4:46 PM krashockey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.