Triathlon Nova Scotia
17C / 63F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 36m 38s
Overall Rank = 17/65
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

This being my last race of the year and the fact that it really wasn't my "A" race made it a little hard to get up for. Almost considered going down to the sprint, but I'm glad I didn't as I really enjoyed the race.

I woke up at 5:30 and got my gear together, I was staying at my cousins place about 20 minutes from the race. I drove to a nearby Tim's and had a coffee and a muffin. Drove to the race and started to get my gear organized and get checked in.......and my name isn't on the race list. Of course I didn't bring my online receipt. Finally got it straightened out with the RD. More hassle then I needed at this time in the morning. Finished setting up transition and got my wet suit on.
Event warmup:

Went down to the lake and got in a good 10 minute warm up swim. Unfortunately I left my pre race nutrition in transition, not usually a big deal but at this race transition is up a steep climb and through a gravel parking lot. Again more headache then I needed.
Swim
  • 26m 15s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first ever start from the beach and that was interesting. Arms and legs everywhere, lol. The first 300 was great just like my last race, I'm right up with the lead group and the after the first bouy I start losing people, and I end up leading the second pack around for the next 1200m. I need to drop about 5sec/100 and I should be able to hang on the back of the lead group. Right before the race someone mentioned a rocky shoal that exited out into the course. Sure enough about 200m in and I've got large rocks right in front of my face so close that I'm touching them with my arms. Was kind of surprised.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, swim went better than my last race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

Ok so out of the water and you ave to climb up this steep hill to the transition area. I decided to walk it while taking my suit off and recovering a bi of my HR. Once you have your bike there is another good run through a gravel parking lot before you get to the mount area. Made the decision to put my shoes on in transition to avoid the rocks and dirt all over my feet.

I could have run faster and saved myself a minute or so but I think recovering a bit helped me on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 41s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.57 km/hr
Comments:

The course was tough, a lot hills and descents with turns, then throw in a 90deg turn at the end. Really hard to get a good pace going with always having to change gears and cadence. Overall I'm pretty happy with my ride, I didn't push the bike too hard and made sure not to burn my legs out on the hills. I passed quite a few people on the bike but I knew I would be seeing a few of them again on the run, lol.

Not much, I paced it pretty good considering how challenging the course was. The second loop I think I was faster as I knew where I could ride a little harder and how fast I could take the corners.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Off the bike and run about 250m over a gravel parking lot. Feeling pretty good at this point but not having seen the run course a little scared as well, lol.

Not much more I could have done here. Again I kept my shoes on for the run through the parking lot as it wasn't paved. That slowed me down a little. Other than that I was pretty quick
Run
  • 51m 14s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 07s  min/km
Comments:

Im not the best runner but if I can get into a good rhythm I feel a lot better. This run wasn't suited for someone of my size, lol. The constant ups and downs really made it hard for someone of my size. That being said I think I ran it pretty well, never stopped to walk and even had a kick left at the end.

Breath helium to lighten myself by 20 lbs.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a bit, had a coke and a slice of pizza. Packed up my stuff and got ready for my 3 hour drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I missed a lot due to nagging injuries this summer. I also need to do some real run focused work before next race season to get my run times down.

Event comments:

Overall I had a great race, considering most other people were 10 minutes slower in the last race and I only dropped 4 minutes, I'm pretty happy. I got some work to do in the off season to get ready for a HIM next year. Run needs a lot of work. Overall a great season, can't wait for next year!

Last updated: 2013-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:15 | 1500 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 14/65
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca equip
Course: Two laps of a odd triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:41 | 40 kms | 32.57 km/hr
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 11/65
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Two laps of a hilly out and back course. I think I counted 5-6 90deg turns out, so a good 20 times at least that you hand to really slow down, make the corner without crossing into the lane and then get back up to speed.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:14 | 10 kms | 05m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 11/17
Overall: 37/65
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly an out and back except for the start and finish on a crushed gravel trail through the woods. A lot of turns and little steep climbs and descents.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-26 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: Shubie Dooby Tri

2013-09-26 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4864191

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Shubie Dooby Tri
Derek congrats on a great race. You'd never know looking at the time that your lack of training affected your race in anyway. You did a great job of pacing yourself throughout the race. Your swim, bike and run were all very solid and like I said that is a really nice finishing time. You definitely have room for improvement which is a scary thought. Congrats again a really nice way to end your tri season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shubie Dooby Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shubie Dooby

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 1955 Posts: 1

2011-09-15 7:05 AM gsmacleod

Shubie Dooby Tri

Started by gfulton
Views: 2264 Posts: 3

2008-09-18 8:22 PM gfulton

Dooby Du

Started by cathrone
Views: 1287 Posts: 1

2008-04-24 12:51 PM cathrone

Dooby Du Duathlon

Started by cathrone
Views: 1319 Posts: 1

2006-04-09 4:34 PM cathrone

Shubie Park Tri

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 1481 Posts: 3

2005-09-22 7:57 PM c2fd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.