General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight gain after Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-26 9:27 AM

User image

Charlotte, NC
Subject: Weight gain after Ironman
It's been exactly a month since my first Ironman, in Louisville. I am on a very relaxed workout schedule - technically marathon training but I haven't been in the full swing of it. Needless to say, my training volume is almost non-existent, and I am just feeling ready to ramp back up the volume.
In the meantime, I have gained almost 10 pounds.
Obviously, my stomach is still craving the same amount of food, and I am not training to balance it out. What are some tips/tricks for getting back into a normal eating pattern, not to mention drop the weight back? I am meeting with a nutritionist soon to develop a better training/eating regimen, but I need to start making changes now.

2013-09-26 9:43 AM
in reply to: TurtleBranch

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Weight gain after Ironman

This is pretty normal. Your appetite often lags behind your body's needs. 

There's a few good tips here:

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_wellness/tno_nutritionarticle_11.asp (and Seebohar's book is a decent reference, too)

My best tips are to have healthy snacks on hand (current favorite is individual edamame packs from Costco), hydrate, and eat whole, filling foods. And, you'll need to tap into that willpower that you used while training for the Ironman to just say no to food you don't need. It's not easy.

2013-09-26 10:34 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Pro
Burbs
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

This is pretty normal. Your appetite often lags behind your body's needs. 

There's a few good tips here:

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_wellness/tno_nutritionarticle_11.asp (and Seebohar's book is a decent reference, too)

My best tips are to have healthy snacks on hand (current favorite is individual edamame packs from Costco), hydrate, and eat whole, filling foods. And, you'll need to tap into that willpower that you used while training for the Ironman to just say no to food you don't need. It's not easy.

All good advice.

I use myfitnesspal (free online tool and app) to track calories in and calories out. helps with accountability

2013-09-26 11:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Best advice I ever got was that you have to go to bed a little hungry (and I need to remind myself of that - I'm also up ~5 pounds in as many weeks post just a HIM!). 

This combined with "Train hungry, race/recover full," really works for me.  Not to suggest not fueling before/during/after workouts, rather to not eat as much outside of those requirements.

For me, without having to diet, just NOT eating that ice cream before bed or the extra granola bar at work made a steady but substantial difference (wasn't so much trying to lose a given amount as get to what "felt" about right for racing - probably need to be a bit more specific with myself, but it worked for me).

Matt

ETA:  Of note, once I actually GO to bed, I most often realize I'm not that hungry - just that I wanted ice cream.  I ALWAYS want ice cream (dang it!).  Laughing

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2013-09-26 11:04 AM
2013-09-26 11:33 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

I have actually lost 2 pounds since IM Wisconsin that I can't seem to find. May not seem like much, but when you start out at 130, those 2 pounds add up.
2013-09-26 11:39 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Yup, IM Canada same day, went in at 184 a couple days prior, now at 191.  I have a couple races planned including a 70.3 in a few weeks, so one would think I have the motivation to get back down to my 185 race weight.  One would think....

Obviously not burning as many calories so can't eat as much, just need to be focused and dedicated, I need to get back to regularly and honestly logging on MFP

2013-09-26 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4864318

User image

me too - Ironman was a month Ago and Im still having difficulty reducing the number of calories I stick in my mouth. My workouts are way down too - I wish there was a magic way to do this but it seems like willpower is the only way!

I'm going to start using myfitnesspal again - I found it really helpful earlier this year when things last got out of hand on the food front!
2013-09-26 2:15 PM
in reply to: slowbuthappy

Veteran
Tennessee
I really dont need to read this. My ironman is one month away. I start a new job on monday with an 1 hour and 30 min commute each way. My training is going to be really tough to get in now. I am committed to this race so making time to train will happen but I don't know what I am going to do after my race.
2013-09-26 2:21 PM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Pro

Originally posted by iruptacopula I really dont need to read this. My ironman is one month away. I start a new job on monday with an 1 hour and 30 min commute each way. My training is going to be really tough to get in now. I am committed to this race so making time to train will happen but I don't know what I am going to do after my race.

Proper planning, healthy snacks, willpower. 

Get through that IM, take a week or so off from nutrition worries, then make a solid plan. You'll be ok!

2013-09-26 2:21 PM
in reply to: TurtleBranch

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
I also gained 5-10 lbs relatively quickly following my IM last year. Beginning at the start of this year, I tried to become more aware of what I'm putting in my mouth. The good news is that I've managed to stop gaining weight, but with a relatively lax year regarding training, I haven't really done much to lose the extra weight, which has been frustrating.

I've just recently gotten a new coach and am trying to be a bit more strict about cutting back on processed foods and such as he recommends. It's too early to tell if I'm ultimately going to lose weight as a result, but it's been nice knowing that I'm making some better decisions at least.

Sorry, this probably wasn't helpful, but I wanted to chime in with others to let you know that it's pretty normal at least. Good luck with your marathon training!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight gain after Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How much weight gain during Christmas/Holidays? Pages: 1 2

Started by Special K
Views: 1753 Posts: 37

2006-01-05 8:04 PM Lara

Off-season weight gain -- iggh

Started by kandicemcdonald
Views: 965 Posts: 5

2005-12-22 8:27 AM nika

Gaining Weight

Started by daveha
Views: 1395 Posts: 21

2005-04-08 9:22 AM trilover

Muscle gain vs. Weight Loss

Started by MrCjolsen
Views: 1034 Posts: 6

2005-01-07 2:20 PM sty

weight gain

Started by G40
Views: 786 Posts: 4

2004-08-30 5:56 AM G40
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 25, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Although you cannot change your genetics and your tendency to fidget, you can boost your calorie intake. Here are five tips to help you bulk-up healthfully.

date : December 22, 2011
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : October 2, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on losing weight and calorie restriction in the winter, post Ironman weight gain, workout calorie replacement and low sodium snacks.
date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : May 15, 2005
Approximately how long do you think can I reasonably expect to keep making these improvements in speed and performance? I know it has to drop off sometime, I'd just like to have an idea of when.

date : May 3, 2005
Do women inevitably gain fat with menopause? If weight gain is not due to the hormonal shifts of menopause, what does cause it?