General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Remind me that Boston will always be there Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-26 10:06 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Remind me that Boston will always be there

I've been training my butt off this year. I've PR'd in every distance (except the marathon, which is coming up in 2 months). I've lost a few pounds and have put in the miles. McMillan predicts a 3:40 marathon based on my recent 1:44:xx HM, but I think that's a little generous -- my goal is around 3:45-3:50.

My BQ time is 3:35 and I know I'm not there yet but I think I could be next year with the right training --- on a flat and fast course and a perfect day.

That said, iron-toddler H is turning 3 in a few weeks and my husband and I both want a second kid and would like them to not be too far apart in age. They'll already be about 4 years apart ....

I KNOW this is just a hobby and it feels ridiculous to "complain" about it, but the thought of bringing my running back up to speed (pun intended) after pregnancy, labor/ delivery, nursing, losing the baby weight etc. is defeating. I've worked hard to get to where I am, and I, well... I don't want to "start over" (again).

However... my BQ time does go up in 4 years (to 3:40), so maybe that's a good long term goal?

2013-09-26 10:17 AM
in reply to: trishie

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Remind me that Boston will always be there
There's a BTer who KQ'd this year.  The same one she gave birth to her first child.  You will have to 're-build', but you won't be starting over.
2013-09-26 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
You're still young Trishie. Knock out that kid, stay healthy, have fun "strollering" people in future races
2013-09-26 10:55 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

The better half here really got into running only this past year (and was perilously close to BQ attempt next month - stress fractures $uck, but that's a different story).

She went from a very fit, but sloooooow and occasional, runner to bagging podium spots in her AG and then as overall female within the year.

All after 3 kids.

So, will you have to work to get back to where you are?  Yep.  Can you within a fairly short time-frame (within a season)?  Yep.

Boston will still be here.  Laughing

Have fun with and enjoy the family.  If that's what you want, then that's way more important (and these years with the kids WON'T always be here - the little buggers grow so fast!).

Matt

2013-09-26 10:56 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by reecealan You're still young Trishie. Knock out that kid, stay healthy, have fun "strollering" people in future races

I forgot about the stroller angle!  Fantastic strength builder.  Wink

2013-09-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

The better half here really got into running only this past year (and was perilously close to BQ attempt next month - stress fractures $uck, but that's a different story).

She went from a very fit, but sloooooow and occasional, runner to bagging podium spots in her AG and then as overall female within the year.

All after 3 kids.

So, will you have to work to get back to where you are?  Yep.  Can you within a fairly short time-frame (within a season)?  Yep.

Boston will still be here.  Laughing

Have fun with and enjoy the family.  If that's what you want, then that's way more important (and these years with the kids WON'T always be here - the little buggers grow so fast!).

Matt

Yes. All of this :)

Muscle memory is a mommy's friend. 

Boston will be there, and, as you said, your BQ time will be slower.

And you'll have another little person who thinks you are the best Momma in the whole world to enjoy that success with.  It'll be a little harder, but it will also be a little sweeter.  The really good stuff is like that :)

2013-09-26 1:25 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle

Well, it will be there. And, it's a great goal. One, totally worth having.

But I guess I just find the true beauty in running to be the journey. Those days when you feel like you are flying, or those days where running seems to be the only way you can clear your head. 

The  the race results, the PRs, BQing etc - those things are just the icing on the cake.

As JK said, you won't be starting over. Just building back up, like any other training cycle. And you can keep running through the majority of your pregnancy, no?

I think running is a beautiful little perk to life, not the opposite Wink

I realize these are all my thoughts and perhaps you don't see things that way. But getting other people's perspective can sometimes be helpful.

Check out Lauren Fleshman's blog http://asklaurenfleshman.com/ she's got some really great perspective on pregnancy and how it relates to running.

2013-09-26 1:29 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
You have really been kicking butt since H was born -- look at all your amazing PRs this year! Boston isn't going anywhere, plus it will be easier when your time cutoff goes up (especially since it seems most people are going to need to be at least a few minutes under the qualifier). Have that second baby and mount your second comeback!
2013-09-26 3:18 PM

User image

Pro

BQ Times go up... but it doesn't mean that they get easier to meet.  You too- will undergo the effects of aging.

that said- with tenacity, training and the ability to push your body to the limits- you will be able to BQ. 

Two things:

1.  To qualify for Boston this year, you needed to not just BQ, but to beat the BQ time by 1 min and 38 seconds or more.  (and this was after they lowered the qualifying times by 6 minutes two years ago.)  Don't know how much you'll need to beat it for next year (if at all)

2.  To hit your McMillan prediction is completely possible- but what it takes is full marathon training, good conditions, a perfect race, run at the limits of what your body is capable.  i.e. it's gonna hurt.  possibly a lot.  But the pain is temporary and the joy of a BQ can never be taken away.  It's a solid accomplishment for anyone.

2013-09-26 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
It will be there.  Run and run lots.  I knocked 1 hour 11 minutes off my mary time between my first full and my BQ two years later.  You can do this.
2013-09-26 9:54 PM

Spring/Woodlands Area
Depending on your condition and how the pregnancy goes (and your doctor), you should be able to keep a good base during pregnancy via strength training, running or walking, and riding the bike on the trainer. Then post-pregnancy you can take advantage of the boost from the extra blood volume, so theoretically, it could make it easier.

The bigger issue may be the shock of going from 1 kid to 2. That completely wrecked my training for a month or two until we figured out how to make that work.

I completely understand where you are coming from though. I feel (and felt) the same way. I definitely lost fitness with #2 because I was wiped out, but it wasn't so bad that it was starting over.

2013-09-26 10:43 PM
in reply to: apglave

User image

Boston will always be there. I am a father of three and a past Boston runner ('11). I also just dropped off my oldest at college a few weeks ago. Time goes by way too quickly. Enjoy growing your family and enjoy your time with your children. Boston is just icing on the cake in my opinion.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Remind me that Boston will always be there Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Flo wheels remind me of Apple

Started by louiskie
Views: 3177 Posts: 24

2012-11-04 4:26 PM crusevegas

Reminded: Quick Funny Race Swim Story.

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 1683 Posts: 23

2011-09-01 11:08 PM medamullet

Someone remind me family is more important...

Started by luv2flyjrn
Views: 1498 Posts: 18

2007-11-05 5:31 AM TypeA Girl Pilot

Please remind me why I have to taper!!!

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1103 Posts: 9

2007-06-04 6:52 PM KathyG

Reminded - It's just a hobby - Long

Started by rollinbones
Views: 1326 Posts: 11

2006-02-01 4:23 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.