General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hip fatigue on long runs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-26 12:36 PM

User image

Subject: hip fatigue on long runs
Hey folks!
I'm looking for some feedback about hip fatigue when running long distances. I understand I need to run more. Alot more, but the confusing part is the distance I need to run for each training day because training guidelines state that its better to run more often with shorter distances, but I don't have issues when I run less then 6 miles.

I've been Triathlon training for 1 year and have built up a beginners base. I ran my Olympic race at 13m miles. My next goal is doing a Half Mary at 10min pace in early spring next year.

Currently, I'm very comfortable at ~12m miles. I feel like I'm in zone 1 training (probably in zone 2, but there is no way im in zone 3+). At this pace I have the energy to go forever, however at mile 6 my muscles around my hips just start to ache. By mile 7 I have to stop running. If I'm consistently doing 2-4 mile runs, how does that help the fatigue I experience at the 6mile mark? I would think I need to do at least 1 long 6mile to help build fitness?

Knowing that I more recently had 3 kids (3 5 7 ) and injured my pelvis enough that I could barely walk, maybe my issue stems from extremely weak core/pelvis muscles that I never recovered from having kids? I did incorporated many types of core strengthening and leg excercises over the year, but perhaps they are still very weak in comparison to my hamstrings/quads/gluts etc that I really just need to hit the weights more aggressively?

Thoughts?

Thanks alot!

Edited by LPJmom 2013-09-26 12:39 PM

2013-09-26 12:51 PM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: hip fatigue on long runs

How often are you running?  How far?

2-4mi runs help build your durability so that the 6 and 8 and 12mi runs don't beat you up too much and can be used to help build your endurance.  The short runs will contribute to that, but you need a mix.  The plan often suggested by many BTers is based on running 6 days/wk at 1:1:1:2:2:3 (3 'short' runs, 2 'med' runs at twice the short run distance and a 'long' run at 3x the short run distance).

2013-09-26 1:18 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Where would you say the hip pain was?

Front, side, back or radiating from the joint (everywhere)?
2013-09-26 2:27 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

2-4mi runs help build your durability so that the 6 and 8 and 12mi runs don't beat you up too much and can be used to help build your endurance.  The short runs will contribute to that, but you need a mix.  The plan often suggested by many BTers is based on running 6 days/wk at 1:1:1:2:2:3 (3 'short' runs, 2 'med' runs at twice the short run distance and a 'long' run at 3x the short run distance).

I'm just starting up my training again after a month break. I haven't formulated anything specific yet, but I looked up a couple HM plans on the web to gather ideas. I was suprised at the lack of overall distance on the plans I saw. My method of GPS broke but based on past runs, I've done approximately 2.5m last thurs, 1.8m tues, and ~3.5 today. (I'll add that running this week without GPS blows chunks! Gives me a real incentive to pick up a garmin.) I'm thinking I need to do ~3m on sat and another short run sun. I'm thinking of an easy schedule like Su 3m, Tu 2m, Th 5m, Sa 2m and build mileage up slowly with added Strength training 2x a week.

I feel like this is appropriate for my level of fitness, but I'm just concerned over the lack of strength in my hips and how best to resolve the issue.
2013-09-26 2:33 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Originally posted by badmo77a

Its always in the front pelvis area where the femar attaches to the hip and associated inner thigh muscles. Sometimes I feel shooting pain traveling down from my right hip downwards on the inside right thigh area.
2013-09-26 2:35 PM

New user

Stretch and strengthen.

For the hips specifically stretch the hip flexor, adductor and abductor and strengthen the core.

I find it very helpful to also stretch the hamstrings, quads and calves and I stretch after almost every run.

Running beats up the legs pretty bad and the stretch plus strength will help prevent injury and relieve the fatigue...and maybe make you a little faster.

-Mark

2013-09-26 2:41 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by LPJmom

I'm just starting up my training again after a month break. I haven't formulated anything specific yet, but I looked up a couple HM plans on the web to gather ideas. I was suprised at the lack of overall distance on the plans I saw. My method of GPS broke but based on past runs, I've done approximately 2.5m last thurs, 1.8m tues, and ~3.5 today. (I'll add that running this week without GPS blows chunks! Gives me a real incentive to pick up a garmin.) I'm thinking I need to do ~3m on sat and another short run sun. I'm thinking of an easy schedule like Su 3m, Tu 2m, Th 5m, Sa 2m and build mileage up slowly with added Strength training 2x a week. I feel like this is appropriate for my level of fitness, but I'm just concerned over the lack of strength in my hips and how best to resolve the issue.

I am confused.  You haven't run over 6mi recently?  Have you experienced this fatigue in recent runs?  You could have a 'weakness'.  You could also simply have over-stressed something by doing more than your body was ready for at the time.  In that case, rest and a gradual re-build may be all you need to allow your hip to strengthen enough to handle the running.

How much were you running before you took a month off?  How 'easy' is your planned schedule?

2013-09-26 2:45 PM
in reply to: 1Dude

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by 1Dude

the stretch plus strength will help prevent injury and relieve the fatigue...and maybe make you a little faster.

Or not.  That is, there is no evidence that it will do any of those things unless your strech/strengthen routine adresses a specific, identified issue.  The hip pain could be the result of a lot of things that have nothing to do with what you mentioned.  Or it might.  Again, just pointing out that this suggestion is no better than a shot in the dark.

2013-09-26 3:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm just starting up my training again after a month break. I haven't formulated anything specific yet, but I looked up a couple HM plans on the web to gather ideas. I was suprised at the lack of overall distance on the plans I saw. My method of GPS broke but based on past runs, I've done approximately 2.5m last thurs, 1.8m tues, and ~3.5 today. (I'll add that running this week without GPS blows chunks! Gives me a real incentive to pick up a garmin.) I'm thinking I need to do ~3m on sat and another short run sun. I'm thinking of an easy schedule like Su 3m, Tu 2m, Th 5m, Sa 2m and build mileage up slowly with added Strength training 2x a week. I feel like this is appropriate for my level of fitness, but I'm just concerned over the lack of strength in my hips and how best to resolve the issue.

I am confused.  You haven't run over 6mi recently?  Have you experienced this fatigue in recent runs?  You could have a 'weakness'.  You could also simply have over-stressed something by doing more than your body was ready for at the time.  In that case, rest and a gradual re-build may be all you need to allow your hip to strengthen enough to handle the running.

How much were you running before you took a month off?  How 'easy' is your planned schedule?

Sorry if Im confusing.
All my 6+ miles were in July and Aug while following my olympic plan which consisted of endurance building 2x a week for SBR. I know that I need to run more often consistantly. Its possible for me to be over thinking my hip fatigue. Sometimes I get bogged down with the details and forget the grand scheme of things.

My concern is whther or not I need to be more agressive with specific strength training or just running more will help the most.

I'm not sure what you mean by easy. After my runs I don't feel tiered, fatigued, or sore. Other then feeling more awake, I don't really feel like I did any excercise. If thats what you mean by easy.

Edited by LPJmom 2013-09-26 3:12 PM
2013-09-26 4:45 PM

User image

I don't believe it's a strength training issue. Consistent running and gradually building up will help.

If you were only doing two runs per week it's hard to condition your body to the consistency. I think it will help to follow a program where you're building up a base gradually, spread over more days.
2013-09-26 5:35 PM

User image

NH
Sorry if Im confusing.
All my 6+ miles were in July and Aug while following my olympic plan which consisted of endurance building 2x a week for SBR. I know that I need to run more often consistantly. Its possible for me to be over thinking my hip fatigue. Sometimes I get bogged down with the details and forget the grand scheme of things.

My concern is whther or not I need to be more agressive with specific strength training or just running more will help the most.

I'm not sure what you mean by easy. After my runs I don't feel tiered, fatigued, or sore. Other then feeling more awake, I don't really feel like I did any excercise. If thats what you mean by easy.

I would say run more frequently and see what you have. With 2 runs/weeks, it's hard to know what causes the pain. Until you get to 4-5 runs per week, I wouldn't get too carried away thinking you **need** to be aggressive with strength training. I just don't know that there's a lot of evidence showing strength training improves running very much, unless you are working on an identified weakness as Johnny has stated. Of course, strength training for general life strength and health is a completely different matter and could be worth it for you.

By easy effort, that would generally mean you speak in full sentences while you are running.

2013-09-26 8:13 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

New user

Originally posted by 1Dude

the stretch plus strength will help prevent injury and relieve the fatigue...and maybe make you a little faster.

Or not.  That is, there is no evidence that it will do any of those things unless your strech/strengthen routine adresses a specific, identified issue.  The hip pain could be the result of a lot of things that have nothing to do with what you mentioned.  Or it might.  Again, just pointing out that this suggestion is no better than a shot in the dark.

Taken out of context and your post was almost completely useless...
2013-09-26 8:42 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Sorry if Im confusing. All my 6+ miles were in July and Aug while following my olympic plan which consisted of endurance building 2x a week for SBR. I know that I need to run more often consistantly. Its possible for me to be over thinking my hip fatigue. Sometimes I get bogged down with the details and forget the grand scheme of things. My concern is whther or not I need to be more agressive with specific strength training or just running more will help the most. I'm not sure what you mean by easy. After my runs I don't feel tiered, fatigued, or sore. Other then feeling more awake, I don't really feel like I did any excercise. If thats what you mean by easy.

No need to apologize.  I confuse easily.  And apparently make useless posts, but that's another story...

Anyway, I would try to keep going with the more frequent running and see how things go as you gradually build.  It's impossible to say whether some kind of specific strength training would help you without knowing what the problem really is.  From what you described, it could very well be that you were just creating more stress than your body was ready for in your running and a more gradual build (with more frequency, but not necessarily any more volume to start) will take care of your hip issue on its own (ie, all the 'supporting' muscles you need for running will develop naturally as you run).  If you do find it recurs, you can either back off the volume until it does not bother you and then build even more gradually or go see a doc who could help IDing something that might be better remediated through some specific exercises.  Hope that helps some.  Good luck with your running.

2013-09-26 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
How strong are your glutes? Most people, have extremely weak glutes. It's a good sign that you need more glute work, and as others have said, more stretching of your psoas and hip flexors since you seem to be fatiguing after about 6 miles or slightly over an hour.
2013-09-27 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Run more often...2x a week you will not make much in the way of gains.

Don't set goals of time/distance in the future going from 12-13m/m to 10 m/m in a HM in the Spring....may encourage you to run to fast.

Many new athletes have muscle imbalances that should be addressed and you likely have some as well. But the hip fatigue is most likely due simply to you did to much to soon without the proper training.

In training for an Olympic you were running 2x a week and one run was 7 miles? Something seems off in that plan.

2013-09-27 1:55 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by badmo77a

Its always in the front pelvis area where the femar attaches to the hip and associated inner thigh muscles. Sometimes I feel shooting pain traveling down from my right hip downwards on the inside right thigh area.

Might be groin strain. A classic injury for runners and sports people on the insde of the thigh. Takes a good degree of RICE to get it back in shape.

There is a thing called hip labral tear which causes pain in exactly this area but its a long stretch to diagnose from just the descriptions you have given. But that is associated with the shooting pain.

Maybe identify anything that sets it off (apart from pure mileage). Do you run any roads with obvious camber? Even a light lean in the road left or right for 1-2km can give you some serious aggrivation.

Hope it clears up!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hip fatigue on long runs Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Startup Training - Swim=OK Run/Bike=Fatigue

Started by galanis
Views: 1004 Posts: 3

2012-11-23 7:02 AM galanis

running: more short runs or less long runs?

Started by zionvier
Views: 7619 Posts: 13

2009-09-18 8:03 PM monkeyboy64

good to run on fatigued legs?

Started by trishie
Views: 1314 Posts: 7

2008-12-30 7:08 AM Scout7

Hip Pain During/After Long Runs.

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 3981 Posts: 11

2008-09-29 5:53 PM cadmus

How Fatigued is Too Fatigued?

Started by nowalk
Views: 1606 Posts: 12

2007-06-18 3:18 PM nowalk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 9, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Workout associated fatigue is our gauge of a quality workout program. But, excessive or debilitating fatigue adversely affects workout quality, limiting performance gains.

date : January 14, 2008
I have noticed an occasional pain in my left hip flexor. The pain is most noticeable when running uphill. Is there a way to fix the problem without taking time off from training?
date : January 3, 2008
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.