General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ebay - good bad ugly? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-26 1:09 PM

User image

Subject: Ebay - good bad ugly?

Anyone buy their bike off ebay?  I've been stalking bikes on there for awhile but don't know I fully trust the process.  Anyone have a good/bad experience?  Anything problematic to avoid?

I've bought lower end stuff off there with no problems in the past but with the price of a bike I am apprehensive. 

2013-09-26 1:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: RE: Ebay - good bad ugly?
I bought a bike from there in 2010. Pretty smooth transaction. Bike came from a guy in Boston who hadn't put too many miles on it..

I could never get the fit dialed in (and I was out of training for about 2 years due to a wicked injury). I think he put a few hundred miles on the bike and it was in great condition. I put a few hundred more miles on it before finally just getting a new bike (and becoming a super-fan of getting fitted before buying a bike, especially sight-unseen). I sold it for less than I paid for it, but re-couped a lot of the $$.

From both sides of the transaction, it was pretty darn smooth!

I'll add that whatever you do, don't deviate from the eBay channels (don't do anything that involves a wire, for example). There are scammers out there. Be mindful if something sounds fishy, it might just be...

Edited by julio26pt2 2013-09-26 1:20 PM
2013-09-26 1:34 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Shouldn't be a problem, just do everything through ebay and do the payment with paypal, with a credit card if possible. Ebay has buyer protection, paypal is another layer of buyer protection as long as you send the money as "for goods/services" and last resort you can dispute the charge on your CC.

2013-09-26 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4864603

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It takes some knowledge and abut leap of faith. First, you need to know what you're looking for I.e what fits you. Then you hope the seller knows what they're selling... The biggest difference between eBay and enthusiast sites like Slowtwitch is that more than likely the seller at ST knows what they're taking about. A frame at eBay may be trashed but the seller simply doesn't have the knowledge to know that...

Except for that, the previous posts gives excellent advise.
2013-09-26 2:37 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Clio, MI
I bought a frame off ebay (the one in my avatar) and built it up myself. No problems, was a little concerned with the size, but it worked out in the end.
2013-09-26 2:52 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

Eh, I found a bike I had been looking at new, correct size and all.  It just doesn't "feel" right.  It's a better then fair price, IDK about a real steal.  But it makes me wonder if it's a stolen bike.  Also, I am sure the price is good but only one person bid on it and it's about to end so that kind of leads me to believe somethings not right.  Oh well, back to stalking I guess.

2013-09-26 3:25 PM

User image

Pro

I've done it twice.

First bike:  Great photos.  Great component spec.  Ad said that the "Frame has only 500miles, components a little more".  True enough, the frame was immaculate.  the mostly DuraAce component set on it probably had 30,000 miles.  I've had to replace the hubs, wheels, cables, chainrings, cassette, RD, saddle.  Basically, I got screwed.

Second bike:  Listed as "Brand new in the box".  From dealer unloading overstock.  Sure enough- that's exactly what I got.  Got an excellent price on a new bike- put it together myself.  Thrilled with getting a screamin' deal on a new steed.  She's been perfect ever since.

thoughts:

if there's a blurry photo... assume it's blurry because it's hiding something.  it is.

multiply whatever mileage the seller claims for the bike by 10.

Communicate with the seller beforehand and get a feel for what's going on on the other side, and if you can trust them.  

good luck.  And post a picture when you get your new steed.

2013-09-26 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I bought an aluminum frame off eBay to replace one that had gone bad.  I hoped to get a year out of it while I shopped for a new bike.  I got over two years out of it before it developed a crack.  Then I bought my new bike at at shop.

So, $220 got me a relatively light, aluminum frame for two plus years.  I guess I'd categorize this as a good experience since I didn't expect it to last forever and it was inexpensive.  I put probably 6k miles on that frame.

2013-09-26 3:28 PM
in reply to: Squinky4

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Squinky4

I bought a frame off ebay (the one in my avatar) and built it up myself. No problems, was a little concerned with the size, but it worked out in the end.

I did the same thing, and also got parts too off Ebay.

From my experience, it was a little shaky because you have no idea if there is a crack in the frame or something wrong..you are taking the person's word for it. Yes, there is buyer protection to a point, but if you don't know what's wrong until later...you are SOL.
BUT, luckily it worked out for me in this case...except the shipping cost wasn't what they advertised....it turned out to be WAY more, but I went through with it anyway.

For frames fit is always a concern, especially when the fork is already cut.

As for the parts, I am suspicious that some parts may have inferior components or even fake parts because the cables in the group certainly rusted out super fast and I had to replace them. Luckily again, aside from the bad cables, it worked out.

I ride the bike a lot and love it.
2013-09-26 5:28 PM

Veteran
I bought a bike on ebay and sold three on ebay. my experience selling was smooth as can be with the first bike, which I had for two years and put 2000+ miles on it.

the second bike - also about 1500 miles. no problems.

the third bike, I put ~ 300 miles on it, but decided to get rid of it as it just never fit well and I needed the money more than the bike (and as you may be guessing, I had that bike buying disease that I was recovering from). The buyer was completely obnoxious. First, he was from Canada so had me keep changing the shipping address to somewhere in the U.S. (the first bike went to Canada as well, and I shipped it there with no problem). when he finally picked up the bike in New York, he then complained that there were dings on the bike from rocks flying up and hitting the frame while riding it. uh, you just bought a used bike. used means there will be some dings on it. it is why you paid $1000 less than what you would have at your LBS. The bike had zero scrapes, dents, or otherwise from drops or crashes, just the normal pebble dings on the bottom side from a bike that has been ridden. he also complained that there was some chain grease on the frame from where the chain touched the frame while shipping. no scratch, just grease. I tell this because you need to make sure you know what to expect when buying off ebay. if you want shiny, polished, looks showroom new, go to your LBS. if you want the great deal you could find on ebay, then check it out. if it's buy it now, it is often some sort of mass seller. i am less inclined to buy from them as they do cover up flaws and you are not likely to get a great deal.

2013-09-26 5:50 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-09-26 5:56 PM
in reply to: audiojan

ive been looking into getting a garmin 910xt, the cheapest price that i have found is on ebay, 360$. everything says new, in box, unopened. thinking about taking the risk?
2013-09-26 6:31 PM

Master
I have bought multiple 4-5 bikes and an equal number of wheel sets and powertaps off e-bay. I initially became used to the idea by buying high end audio equipment. It is risky but I have found it is a good way to try something out that I otherwise could not justify the price. If I don't like it, I resell it, and usually get my purchase price back. All of the bikes have been great deals and I have yet to get burned. A couple of the bikes returned a profit when I resold them. One caveat is, YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
2013-09-27 8:40 AM

Pro
Twin Cities
I've bought lots of bikes off of there. (8, if my math is correct; and three wheel sets) Never had an issue. But I know what to look for in the listing and after the fact, and I know which questions to ask and what type of pictures to request, etc, and I am okay assembling a packaged bike when it arrives.

Edited by mmrocker13 2013-09-27 8:42 AM
2013-09-27 8:41 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Pro
Twin Cities
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by MLPFS

Anyone buy their bike off ebay?  I've been stalking bikes on there for awhile but don't know I fully trust the process.  Anyone have a good/bad experience?  Anything problematic to avoid?

I've bought lower end stuff off there with no problems in the past but with the price of a bike I am apprehensive. 

. I would never buy a bike off eBay. Ever.

Why? Just curious, as you sound super vehement about it.
2013-09-27 8:58 AM

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Originally posted by sharkbait!

ive been looking into getting a garmin 910xt, the cheapest price that i have found is on ebay, 360$. everything says new, in box, unopened. thinking about taking the risk?

Look at Trivillage.com:

http://www.trivillage.com/garmin-forerunner-910xt-gps-running-watch...

Add to cart and use the 15% off coupon code (Order200-15).. Makes it 339.96...

Edited by julio26pt2 2013-09-27 8:59 AM

2013-09-27 9:00 AM
in reply to: mmrocker13

Originally posted by mmrocker13 I've bought lots of bikes off of there. (8, if my math is correct; and three wheel sets) Never had an issue. But I know what to look for in the listing and after the fact, and I know which questions to ask and what type of pictures to request, etc, and I am okay assembling a packaged bike when it arrives.
2013-09-27 9:00 AM

Originally posted by mmrocker13 I've bought lots of bikes off of there. (8, if my math is correct; and three wheel sets) Never had an issue. But I know what to look for in the listing and after the fact, and I know which questions to ask and what type of pictures to request, etc, and I am okay assembling a packaged bike when it arrives.

That's why I passed on the last one.  I couldn't get pics of the drivetrain side sent even though I asked for them.  It was a good deal but I didn't trust what the person was saying. 

Edited by MLPFS 2013-09-27 9:02 AM
2013-09-27 12:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Mostly everything I've bought from eBay has been pretty good. Bike parts, Tri clothes, GU, and records etc..
I am fairly confident in anything in any transaction.
If fact, 1 guy I bought something from, runs a store not to far from my home. I now frequent his store instead.
2013-09-27 1:16 PM
in reply to: louamerica

Expert
Floriduh
I have a 650C bike so I have bought a wheel there but often the definition of "true" can be up for interpretation. I have found that I can get as good of deals on components looking for close-outs at e-tailers and I know that you can find some really good bkes at e-tailers at prices that are as good as all but the absolute steals at ebay. Sometimes an unbelieveable price has a hitch.
2013-09-27 3:53 PM

Lenexa, KS
I've not purchased a bike off eBay, but I actually run an eBay business (non triathlon related) and its typically pretty evident who knows their stuff since they'll put a lot of the information you'll want to know about in the description.

Just be thorough when asking questions that aren't answered in the listing description. When in doubt, trust no one. Most eBay users are just regular Joe's selling their stuff and some people run a business on the site. The businesses should be non-hassle and quick to answer any questions you have, but the regular Joe's are a mixed group so vet them appropriately.

As one previous user had suggested keep all your contact/messages on the eBay platform. If the person e-mails you off-site for whatever reason, respond on the website itself as this leaves a trail of communication in the event that something goes awry. Although I don't use a CC for purchases on eBay using the Paypal method leaves you 2 lines of defense as mentioned with eBay Buyer Protection and then Paypal Buyer Protection. It's just about impossible for a seller to win a buyer protection case even if they're in the right unless the buyer is really being blatant about scamming a seller out of something (and I don't think this would be you ).

So in general treat eBay like Craigslist, you just can't see things in person so lots of pictures and questions are your friend. After that you should be good to go.

2013-09-27 5:27 PM

Champion
Knoxville area
I'm a frequent Ebay sniper. I bought my latest bike off there... here's my experience (n=1) from that transaction.

- I was looking for an aluminum P3. I knew exactly what size I needed. (a 52, or 53 p3sl, 700c) and had a budget close to set (~$800 or under for a frame depending on the shape.) I had 99% of the parts for the build already, so that wasn't an issue.

- Seller had a 2005 P3alu, still had the 7800 Dura Ace (and the rest of the kit) that came on it. No wheels. Described it as "In great shape, a few paint chips from use but ready to ride with a set of wheels... size 54."

Had to contact seller for him to confirm the size (not a 54) and that it was 700c. He did. Won at $550+shipping.

- Seller was slow to ship (especially for the ridiculous shipping cost of almost $80) but eventually box arrived. The bike was Literally as it came from Cervelo in 2005. Basic upkeep (changing cables, wiping down bike after ride) had been ignored. Cervelo (tektro) brake calipers were rusted/salt corroded to the point I would have been afraid to ride them. Chain (really...who includes the chain?) was so worn I don't imagine the thing could have been shifted outside friction mode... Bottom Bracket was also shot. Bike even had a Selle saddle I would have been embarrassed to ride it was so torn up, let alone sell to someone. Crank, derailleurs and shifters were all in good (if dirty) condition.

- Frame was accurately described other than a missing set screw for the dropouts and a scratch through the cutout where a rock had got jammed between tire/frame. (I don't consider that a paint chip... although it is pretty normal for a p3)

The biggest issue for me was that the seatpost had been cut to virtually unusable/unsafe levels for anyone who didn't need the post slammed to the lowest position. That's something that should be disclosed (and I forgot to ask about myself) Fortunately that's Not a very expensive part.

To me, it was still a fine deal (considering I was willing to pay the $ for the frame alone) but the seller was fairly fortunate IMHO that the buyer was me and not somebody who was going into it buying a "ready to ride" bike.

If you don't know what you're doing (and how to work on your own bike) I would suggest leaving ebay alone. If you do know... use caution and have fun.
2013-09-27 6:29 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Good advice and a big reason I haven't bought off eBay yet. I'm not looking to do much of the/a build myself. Although I wish I could.
2013-09-27 8:17 PM
in reply to: sharkbait!

Originally posted by sharkbait! ive been looking into getting a garmin 910xt, the cheapest price that i have found is on ebay, 360$. everything says new, in box, unopened. thinking about taking the risk?

Assuming you're not looking for the HRM, and the MSRP is $400, $360 is not that great a deal.  DCRainmaker offers a 10% off code on anything from Clever Training including Garmin products so you could get the same price and Clever Training is an authorized Garmin dealer...so your warranty would be intact. 

Several months ago the 910 was going for $299 as part of a special...from authorized retailers.

2013-09-28 1:02 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I've bought two tri bikes off Ebay and both were great deals.  I knew exactly what I wanted and just waited patiently until I got enough of a deal to make it worth while.  I've bought a lot of things off Ebay and have only had one marginally bad experience.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ebay - good bad ugly? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Pacific Grove Oly - Good, bad, and ugly

Started by TTom
Views: 1356 Posts: 9

2013-09-16 7:33 PM Jason N

good and the bad (but more good)

Started by Fogflip
Views: 990 Posts: 7

2011-09-22 6:04 AM peteweb55403

First Tri This Weekend - The good, bad, and ugly

Started by MarkL2
Views: 845 Posts: 2

2010-09-20 9:36 AM ToeKnail

New bike: bad news, good news, bad news, good news

Started by jonathan22
Views: 2011 Posts: 12

2007-02-05 6:33 AM jonathan22

Bike manufacture, good, bad or ugly?

Started by tdebeers
Views: 851 Posts: 5

2006-09-24 8:33 AM tdebeers
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 26, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on good vs bad sugars, fluid loss replacement, clean eating, the Paleo diet and are gels necessary for olympic races.

date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
"Finding triathlon has probably saved my life." A late bloomer shares some of his journeys on becoming a 4rth year triathlete.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.