General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do Island Lake and Kensington have a connecting BIKE path? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-27 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: Do Island Lake and Kensington have a connecting BIKE path?
I know there is that little connecting path past Kent Lake but I have never tried to RIDE down that way. It seems like that path is mostly runners and recreational riders, not for people seriously training for anything -- and I don't want to run anyone over.

I've actually never been to Kensington so I don't know how long it is around the lake (the map on their site for some reason isn't giving me a loop mileage) or if it is as safe. I don't feel comfortable enough on my bike yet riding on actual roads so I am avoiding that for the time being.

I have spent all this past summer doing group OWS's at Trout Lake followed by a few laps of Island Lake. It's SOOOOOO convenient to bring my bike and hop on after my organized group swim. But I am thinking about pulling the trigger on an HIM next summer and don't think I can stomach 4-5 laps of Island Lake every Saturday, pretty as it is. I'm thinking if I can do 2-3 loops of 20-30 miles, that might be easier to stomach.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

2013-09-27 11:02 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Subject: RE: Do Island Lake and Kensington have a connecting BIKE path?
The main connector is the one you're talking about, but like all of the paths you find in both parks, they're shared by everyone and you're not supposed to go more than about 10mph (most people go faster)....and those paths aren't really for training. If you're going to hop over to Kensington, take that path to the end (dumps you out right after the underpass) and bear right. That'll take you to the East Boat Launch. From there you can get on the road and ride that around. Kensington roads tend to be busier than Island Lake, especially on the weekends, but if you go early its not bad. The only area I'd tell you to be careful of is the Farm hill (the road that goes along side the farm near the main offices). I've come down this hill before going towards the round about and nearly been hit by cars that aren't paying attention as they pull out of the parking lots there. Its happened 3 times to me, so now I always brake going down that hill and take it slow enough that if something happens I can ditch and survive.

What I do when I ride is to take it from the East Boat launch north then around the round about going to the left, up the farm hill then just continue on that road till you get to the west entrance, then you can turn around and loop back. I'm not sure what that mileage is, maybe 8 or 9 or so. When you get more comfortable with riding on roads, you can continue out past the west entrance, then hop on Kensington road and that'll get you back to Island Lake. Otherwise, turn around and go back to the East Boat Launch then get on the connector. That'll get you some good distance...plus there are some really good hills...much bigger and longer than Island Lake.
2013-09-28 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

Unfortunately, once you decide to go long you run out of decent routes around here pretty quick. I know you're familiar with hines drive...Stony creek is decent but a short loop. Don't even remind me of the time I did a 70mile/11 mile brick at belle isle.

The connecting path you speak of is the only one...yeah, you're pretty much an A-hole if you go flying through there.

The bike path loop at kensington is 8 miles, IIRC, but you can't seriously train on it. The conditions of the roads suck, though...and given the type of traffic at Kensington, I've always felt safer leaving ILRA and heading for a lap of the GM proving grounds. It includes a KILLER hill and there really is very little traffic on the weekends.especially once you get across the freeway. Sure, roads can be scary...wear something bright and shiny, and don't make sudden moves.
2013-09-28 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Boo. OK, well back to the drawing board. But, forewarned is forearmed, and I have all winter to come up with some good routes. Thanks for the suggestions! =)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do Island Lake and Kensington have a connecting BIKE path? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

bridge between kensington and island lake

Started by lamarvenoy
Views: 1129 Posts: 5

2011-08-06 2:49 PM jdutton13

Paved path @ Kensington clear?

Started by Jason in MI
Views: 1026 Posts: 3

2011-01-18 5:21 PM Jason in MI

List of Island lake , kensington Tris

Started by davhamm
Views: 770 Posts: 1

2009-06-18 9:02 AM davhamm

Kensington / Island Lake Connection Closure Starting July 30th

Started by llamahope
Views: 841 Posts: 1

2008-07-25 8:47 PM llamahope

Friday OWS and Bike at Island Lake 9am

Started by dayooper951
Views: 723 Posts: 1

2007-08-22 2:21 PM dayooper951
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : March 6, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
If one muscle has restrictions it can limit the range of motion on the connecting joint and have a domino effect as that tension and restriction is carried down the chain.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.