General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there such thing as running TOO slow? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-27 2:19 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Is there such thing as running TOO slow?

Don't worry, I am totally on board with running mostly easy, sometimes hard. So you don't need to sell me on that.

But I was curious, is there such thing as your easy runs being too slow, assuming the slow pace isn't altering your stride enough to cause injury?

I'm not sure if it's just because I am a newer runner (started running 'bout 2.5 years ago), but my easy run are REALLY slow sometimes.  And I am talking relative to my race paces and VDOT chart, not relative to anyone else.

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-09-27 2:25 PM

2013-09-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Is there such thing as running TOO slow?

How slow??  Are we talking 15% slower? 25%?  50%?  More?  

I ask because I find myself having to pull back as opposed to wondering if I'm going fast enough.  For example, my marathon training plan had me doing long runs at 10% slower than goal race pace and I had to really watch the Garmin.  Otherwise I was never going that slow.

You're such a fasty, I had to ask.  I can't imagine you going what most people consider "slow" Tongue out

2013-09-27 2:30 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by noelle1230

I ask because I find myself having to pull back as opposed to wondering if I'm going fast enough.  For example, my marathon training plan had me doing long runs at 10% slower than goal race pace and I had to really watch the Garmin.  Otherwise I was never going that slow.

You're such a fasty, I had to ask.  I can't imagine you going what most people consider "slow" Tongue out

No I am not talking in comparison to anyone else.

For example I probably run some of my "easy" runs about 25% slower (sorry, I hate using "slow" and "fast") than the recommended easy pace via my VDOT

2013-09-27 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by Asalzwed

For example I probably run some of my "easy" runs about 25% slower (sorry, I hate using "slow" and "fast") than the recommended easy pace via my VDOT

No, I got ya Smile  Maybe I'm missing the meaning of the term VDOT, but I feel like that would depend on whether that's 25% slower than your 5K pace or 25% slower than your marathon pace.

2013-09-27 2:37 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Seattle

No, I got ya Smile  Maybe I'm missing the meaning of the term VDOT, but I feel like that would depend on whether that's 25% slower than your 5K pace or 25% slower than your marathon pace.

VDOT is a system for predicting racing/training paces.

25% slower than my projected "easy pace" (McMillan, VDOT whatever table you use

2013-09-27 2:43 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

IIRC, Daniels’ easy paces are a bit on the aggressive side (you might hit them on a 'good' easy day, but not always).  Take a look at the McMillan pace ranges and see where you fall--think they are a bit more forgiving.  Of course, there is some pace that is “too easy” in that you could easily be getting some more work done (without negatively impacting other workouts).  But, most days, it’s probably best to err a bit on the easy side.  25% does seem like a lot, though.  What are the actual paces you are talking about?

2013-09-27 2:48 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

IIRC, Daniels’ easy paces are a bit on the aggressive side (you might hit them on a 'good' easy day, but not always).  Take a look at the McMillan pace ranges and see where you fall--think they are a bit more forgiving.  Of course, there is some pace that is “too easy” in that you could easily be getting some more work done (without negatively impacting other workouts).  But, most days, it’s probably best to err a bit on the easy side.  25% does seem like a lot, though.  What are the actual paces you are talking about?

Well, my VDOT is probably a 52-53? I haven't done a race in a while... (cross country is way too hard to use to gauge

But I'm talking 9:30ish for my easy runs?

2013-09-27 2:50 PM

User image

Seattle

I should also add that I do two quality sessions a week. And those ARE done at the projected paces and I feel good. There just seems to be a huge discrepancy when it comes to running easy.

So far, it works for me in terms of being injury free and running races the way I would like (for the most part.)

It just seems a little odd.

2013-09-27 2:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Well, my VDOT is probably a 52-53? I haven't done a race in a while... (cross country is way too hard to use to gauge

But I'm talking 9:30ish for my easy runs?

Are the easy runs on roads (ie, not cross country/trial)?  That definitely seems on the slow side outside of 'recovery' jogging (the REALLY easy days).  I would think your typical 'easy' pace should hover in the 8-8:30 range most of the time (and could easily dip lower at times).

Edit:  Since it seems to be 'working', you might just want to try speeding up modestly (maybe just go to 9:15 or 9:00) for a few days and see if it has any negative impacts on your harder days.  If it does, then I wouldn't worry about where the calculators say you should be.  At least not during racing season.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2013-09-27 2:57 PM
2013-09-27 2:58 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Seattle
Well, I keep the terrain quite varied. Road, trails and sometimes (but not always) a fair amount of hills. Also, I run a lot of these with a backpack.

But that is just right now. Even in the beginning I have always run REALLY slow relative to my race times.

But what do you suppose the physiological disadvantage is? Or what do you suppose the benefit would be of running a little faster?

2013-09-27 3:04 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Asalzwed Well, I keep the terrain quite varied. Road, trails and sometimes (but not always) a fair amount of hills. Also, I run a lot of these with a backpack.

But that is just right now. Even in the beginning I have always run REALLY slow relative to my race times.

But what do you suppose the physiological disadvantage is? Or what do you suppose the benefit would be of running a little faster?

That't going to cause a LOT of variation in pace. 

I'd say that your recovery runs (though some will argue those don't exist...) can generally be as slow as you want.

I'd recommend shooting for a slightly faster pace on road runs - assuming it still "feels" easy.

Trails are a different story. I'm generally about 1min/mile slower on trails, even at an effort that feels the same. Running with a pack will also slow you down.

I guess I'd say that make sure your easy runs aren't lazy runs... and let your recovery ones be as slow as you'd like. 

2013-09-27 3:45 PM

For easy/recovery runs, probably no lower limit to how slow.

For the rest of the days though, which really count, yes, you can definitely run too slow.

For reference, when I was running a lot as a pure runner (near 70mpw) years ago, and racing marathons near 7min/mile and 5ks at sub-6 min/mile, my easy run days were typically 5-6 miles, run at anywhere from 9-11 minute miles. I didn't intentionally slow myself down on those days, but I also didn't push it at all either. I will add that the more miles I ran per week on average, the slower my easy days got, due to accumulated leg fatigue, even if my 'real' days got progressively faster.

However, if you're only running 3 days per week like a typical triathlete, you may find yourself with a lot fewer easy run days, though.
2013-09-27 4:12 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming
Originally posted by Asalzwed Well, I keep the terrain quite varied. Road, trails and sometimes (but not always) a fair amount of hills. Also, I run a lot of these with a backpack.

I'd say that your recovery runs (though some will argue those don't exist...) can generally be as slow as you want.

I'd recommend shooting for a slightly faster pace on road runs - assuming it still "feels" easy.

Trails are a different story. I'm generally about 1min/mile slower on trails, even at an effort that feels the same. Running with a pack will also slow you down.

I guess I'd say that make sure your easy runs aren't lazy runs... and let your recovery ones be as slow as you'd like. 

But why? What is the slightly faster pace going to do that the slower pace isn't, assuming that I am doing things like tempo/threshold/intervals etc for speed/strength/economy?

2013-09-27 4:29 PM

User image

Pro

But why? What is the slightly faster pace going to do that the slower pace isn't, assuming that I am doing things like tempo/threshold/intervals etc for speed/strength/economy?

This chart simplifies it a bit:

You want to make sure your effort is in line with what the goal of the workout is. 

2013-09-27 5:06 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by yazmaster For easy/recovery runs, probably no lower limit to how slow. For the rest of the days though, which really count, yes, you can definitely run too slow. For reference, when I was running a lot as a pure runner (near 70mpw) years ago, and racing marathons near 7min/mile and 5ks at sub-6 min/mile, my easy run days were typically 5-6 miles, run at anywhere from 9-11 minute miles. I didn't intentionally slow myself down on those days, but I also didn't push it at all either. I will add that the more miles I ran per week on average, the slower my easy days got, due to accumulated leg fatigue, even if my 'real' days got progressively faster. However, if you're only running 3 days per week like a typical triathlete, you may find yourself with a lot fewer easy run days, though.

^^^ This, IME.

I hate the "it depends," so I'll say that it varies with the balance of the load (same answer, more words).  Laughing  When I got into the meat of training build and the mileage went up while maintaining the quality days, the easy ones got slower.  IIRC, my easy runs were usually ~60"/mile slower than the target race pace for middle/long distance (over 5k), but when the mileage went up they would sometimes be 90"/mile slower at the same RPE.

I found that if I pushed on these runs, my tempo, track and pace runs all suffered.  So, as long as my stride didn't change to a shuffle, I took what the easy runs would give me so I could hit my important days.  

And recovery runs were embarrassingly slow (D@MN you Strava!), but I would make a contest out of running with my HR at or below some silly number and try real hard to hit that.  I'll tell you that the first time I walked a hill on a recovery run I felt like a TOTAL wuss/failure, but now I'm a believer.  Just my opinion/experience, so ample salt suggested...

YMMV (and thanks for this thread - it's an interesting read!).

Matt

2013-09-27 5:09 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

VDOT is a system for predicting racing/training paces.

25% slower than my projected "easy pace" (McMillan, VDOT whatever table you use

I thought it was Virginia Department of Transportation. Their road construction can make you go slow....

2013-09-27 5:27 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by yazmaster For easy/recovery runs, probably no lower limit to how slow. For the rest of the days though, which really count, yes, you can definitely run too slow. For reference, when I was running a lot as a pure runner (near 70mpw) years ago, and racing marathons near 7min/mile and 5ks at sub-6 min/mile, my easy run days were typically 5-6 miles, run at anywhere from 9-11 minute miles. I didn't intentionally slow myself down on those days, but I also didn't push it at all either. I will add that the more miles I ran per week on average, the slower my easy days got, due to accumulated leg fatigue, even if my 'real' days got progressively faster. However, if you're only running 3 days per week like a typical triathlete, you may find yourself with a lot fewer easy run days, though.

^^^ This, IME.

I hate the "it depends," so I'll say that it varies with the balance of the load (same answer, more words).  Laughing  When I got into the meat of training build and the mileage went up while maintaining the quality days, the easy ones got slower.  IIRC, my easy runs were usually ~60"/mile slower than the target race pace for middle/long distance (over 5k), but when the mileage went up they would sometimes be 90"/mile slower at the same RPE.

I found that if I pushed on these runs, my tempo, track and pace runs all suffered.  So, as long as my stride didn't change to a shuffle, I took what the easy runs would give me so I could hit my important days.  

And recovery runs were embarrassingly slow (D@MN you Strava!), but I would make a contest out of running with my HR at or below some silly number and try real hard to hit that.  I'll tell you that the first time I walked a hill on a recovery run I felt like a TOTAL wuss/failure, but now I'm a believer.  Just my opinion/experience, so ample salt suggested...

YMMV (and thanks for this thread - it's an interesting read!).

Matt

Yeah. I just came off of a little break about 5 weeks ago and ramped my miles back up (I'm between 65-70ish now) and I'm sure that is part of it as I am still "base building."

But I have noticed that is is an overall trend since the get go.

My "slow" runs have gotten faster as my fast runs have gotten faster, they just have always been significantly slower than the recommended "easy" pace. 

2013-09-27 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Have you checked heart rate on these easy runs? It may be a slow pace but factors like fatigue/heat are making you work harder than you think. When I train here, my pace is pretty similar to yours for some of my "easy" runs. It's faster in a cooler environment, or if I haven't been doing speedwork or a lot of bike training. Just a thought. If your HR is below Zone 2 (based on your own threshold tests), then you might try picking it up to get into the low end of Zone 2; if that's counterproductive (you can't recover for hard workouts), back off again.

Honestly, when I trained for marathons, I never worried about/monitored the pace of my easy runs, or even most of my long runs. I just ran what felt right. Some days that was faster, and some days that was slower, and it worked fine for me.
2013-09-27 6:16 PM

Master
Northern IL

Generally, running a bit faster will stress you some more and therefore trigger more of a response. When you go really slow there might not be that much stress to respond to, possibly none from a practical standpoint. Running has the load bearing and impact aspect, so you'll pretty always get something out of it in that regard. But the aerobic part won't so much. There needs to be enough effort that there is something to respond to.

Now, in looking at the part Elaine highlighted, those are all reasons that you might be running slower yet may still be working hard enough to create the stress. Largely, so long as you are actually running and the effort needed to run that pace is similar to what would put you closer to the recommended paces on a nice flat(tish) road in just running gear, then you're likely ok. Somewhere, Daniels does have estimates of pace compensation for hills (I think). I'm not sure of what it would be for the other things, but there would be some.

If you want to experiment, follow what JohnnyKay said for increasing. Especially since you have the other things to compensate for. And I'm thinking of this in terms of easy running, not for recovery running. Those get used interchangeably at times, but they shouldn't as they're not the same thing.

2013-09-27 9:58 PM
in reply to: brigby1

I've read a variety of opinions on this. However, I would probably subscribe to Pfitzinger's suggestion. Long runs 10 to 20% slower than goal pace, and closer to 10 percent the closer to the race.

However, as a pure recovery run, just to loosen up, I don't think there is a too slow. Just something to get the blood flowing and get the stiffness out.
2013-09-28 5:16 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
If you haven't already, you could have a look at your grade adjusted pace; since you are running varied terrain, then it is quite possible that your "pace" is actually higher than what you are seeing when you look at the numbers.

With Daniels, I find that E pace will vary depending on the athlete; for someone running a high volume, E pace becomes quite challenging on easy runs where a lower volume athlete may find E pace quite easy since they have more recovery between.

Shane

2013-09-28 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
My short dirty answer would be no not really.

There is some really interesting stuff by HADD which details slower running. If you care to read it I have his Phase 1 in PDF format. A lot of people have only read Phase 1 of HADD and think it is all about slow running. It is not and he has some really hard running down the road in phase 2, but believes that most people neglect to train a large part of their aerobic system because we run to fast to soon. He actually calls his Phase 1 "Training to train."
That little chart someone posted a few posts back was sorta cool. HADD would have you do alot of early running in the 70 - 75% of max heart rate area in that chart.
2013-09-28 1:28 PM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

You should run your long, slow runs at about one minute per km slower than you could run that day. If you do that and you are breathing so hard that you can't carry on a conversation, slow down so more.
2013-09-28 2:38 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by gsmacleodWith Daniels, I find that E pace will vary depending on the athlete; for someone running a high volume, E pace becomes quite challenging on easy runs where a lower volume athlete may find E pace quite easy since they have more recovery between. Shane
With that being said, do you feel it is better to run a little less mileage at the prescribed pace or is it more beneficial to keep the mileage a little higher and let the rest of the paces fall where they will, so long as I'm executing my key workouts?* I should note that although I don't consider my long run a "quality" workout, I run it at a much more acceptable "easy" pace.
2013-09-29 5:59 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

With that being said, do you feel it is better to run a little less mileage at the prescribed pace or is it more beneficial to keep the mileage a little higher and let the rest of the paces fall where they will, so long as I'm executing my key workouts?* I should note that although I don't consider my long run a "quality" workout, I run it at a much more acceptable "easy" pace.

As long as you are able to hit your key runs at an appropriate level and have the time, I would normally go with higher volume at a slightly lower pace. In the words of a wise man, "more is more - until it's too much." The trick is finding out what level of more is right for you - good luck!

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there such thing as running TOO slow? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Why am I running slower?

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1293 Posts: 16

2009-09-25 6:43 AM Scout7

Am I running too slow?

Started by thndrcloud
Views: 578 Posts: 2

2009-07-23 10:31 PM gcirongirl

"Ran" my 1st 5K today, glad I finished HORRIFIED I am so slow Pages: 1 2

Started by maxmansmom
Views: 3311 Posts: 37

2008-11-28 9:02 PM Cardholic

long slow runs - how much slower?

Started by couch potato no more
Views: 1805 Posts: 11

2008-04-27 6:11 PM Jazon71

Am I to Slow to participate?

Started by Tamzo
Views: 1255 Posts: 4

2003-08-15 6:25 AM Tamzo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?

date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : January 10, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 0
The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.