World Triathlon Corporation
27F / -3C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 42m 13s
Overall Rank = 1353/2700
Age Group = W50-54
Age Group Rank = 25/79
Pre-race routine:

Out of bed at 3:45...standard poptart and pepsi, but added in some oatmeal and berries. May need it today! Loaded everything up, and made the 20 minute drive to Squaw Valley. Parked, walked through the dark fog, in 27 degree weather, to the athlete busses. 40 minute drive to the swim start at King's Beach. Literally, freezing cold. Wearing my swimsuit, sweats, parka, ski gloves, ski cap, wool socks. Long walk from bus to SN drop off. Borrowed a bike pump. Scraped the ice off of my bike, tore off the bags that I had taped to the seat and bars. Pulled off the tape that I had used to tape it the rack. Whew. Headed over to put my race sunglasses in my T1 bag - discovered that a volunteer had knotted it shut. And the knot had frozen. Closest I came to tears - could NOT get it untied!! Teeth, fingers - on the ground, in my wetsuit - ARGH. I'm running out of time now. And it is SO cold. I'm wearing socks and slippers!
Event warmup:

RUN through the long bike area, and around to the swim start. For the first time EVER, I'm moving around while the anthem is playing.....I'm LATE!! The sand is icy/crunchy and my pink race cap isn't going on over my neoprene cap! YIKES! A miracle - I find Jeff for a quick kiss before he heads out to the faster group, and one of my training buddies who I hang with as we make our way down to the start. I start with the 1:30-1:40 group - should have spent more time thinking about this, but it worked. My IM swims have ranged from 1:18-1:35. I felt strong, but was worried about the cold and the altitude.

I'm on one of the race videos dancing through the start - singing along with Pink!
Swim
  • 1h 25m 47s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the best IM swim, ever. LOVED it. Take a breath, look around at the snow-capped mountains, sun coming up over the fog-shrouded lake. The water was clear - could see all the way down, most of the way out. The rolling start made for a relatively low contact swim. A bit congested at the turns. Lots of people in booties - didn't see the need, myself.

Finish the first lap - people are walking around the turn. I stand up, realize that it's not THAT shallow, dive back in and swim - going WAY faster than the walkers! Fun!!
What would you do differently?:

More time to set up - HATE rushing. More warm clothes in the morning.
Transition 1
  • 29m 53s
Comments:

Wow. Just, wow. Beat my T1 worst time by, oh, 20 minutes?!?! LONG run through frozen sand. Stripped on the concrete - needed help to get back up. Held up outside the changing tent - no room inside. Finally made it in - CARNAGE. Naked, shivering women everywhere, no chairs or volunteers free. Stood up and tried to do the complete change. Helped 4 women get their bras on, someone helped me. Discovered that DZNutz Bliss freezes......yikes. Thanks to the girl that told me early to trigger my hand warmers and put them in my shoes - that helped! Not sure WHAT happened in there to take 29 minutes - but I was dry and covered when I left, and that was a good thing. Thanks to the volunteers that warned me that pedals were frozen - took that clip-in slow.

Move faster?!?
Bike
  • 8h 19m 10s
  • 112 miles
  • 13.46 mile/hr
Comments:

This is one BadAzz course. In retrospect, I should have gone out harder, but I was really concerned about the run. Ended up cutting it too close to the cutoffs, but it worked. Lost my chain four times - not sure why, but need to fix it. The first time I almost REALLY wiped out, and that guy on my wheel - almost took him down, too. I was VERY well hydrated, and all thoughts of peeing on the bike were gone - wearing long pants, this didn't seem like a good time to try this out. I had to stop for nutrition, too - double gloves didn't leave me well coordinated. Stripped off the beanie one layer on top at Martis the first time, another layer on top and the pants at SN. Lots of time on this ride for peripheral stuff, but it worked.

Random thoughts:

*Saw Kyla and Zach a couple of times - what a boost that was.
*Not too much drafting, but LOTS of blocking and crossing yellows on the climbs. *Fans were so helpful on this race - especially speedo guys on Brockway! *Smiling really does help *volunteers should get PAID. *Cheering on other riders pays off in SPADES. *Body marking is irrelevant in a cold race!! *Honey Stinger chews freeze HARD. * chapstick lids are really hard to take off when double gloved.

Ride faster. Pack better winter clothes so I could have less stuff layered. Wear a face mask. Fleece target gloves inside bike gloves = not such a good idea.
Transition 2
  • 11m 16s
Comments:

Well, I improved my T1 time! Much emptier tent. Cut this one short. Girl on the chair next to me fell off the chair, and curled into a fetal position. Called for help, and she went out on a stretcher. Feeling better, here. Spent way too much time trying to figure out what to wear on the run.

Need to do better planning/packing for the weather, and thinking my nutrition through.
Run
  • 5h 16m 7s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I really enjoyed this run - with a couple of exceptions. f I was a 12 hour IM, it would have been perfect. It was TRULY beautiful for the first 8 miles, and then it got DARK. Really, really dark. Like fall over your own feet dark. Headlamps didn't help much, and oncoming lights were blinding. I did get cold - went out in my tri-top, with a wicking LS tee tied around my waist. Put that on at mile 8. Picked up a jacket and Kyla's gloves at SN. Was still VERY hydrated, and had a few GI issues - as in 9, count 'em, 9 porta-potty stops. For the first time ever in a run, I drank the soup - and it was good, and WARM!

The volunteers were amazing. I skipped through one station - at their request. Danced through three others, music HELPS!!

Last 2 miles were great - ran lots, especially through the village to the finish. Best finish chute ever!!

My time wasn't great, but given the conditions, I beat my race-day plans/goals. HAPPY!

I could have ran, more, I think. Just based on how my legs are feeling the week after. Warmer clothes early on. Better nutrition plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Really? Warm-up was the game plan.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cold. altitude. climbs. training. ??????

Event comments:

Wow. So happy to have toed the line at this inaugural event, and to have finished. Not my goal time, 1.5 hours slower than my slowest, but I'll take it!

Last updated: 2012-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:25:47 | 4224 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 33/79
Overall: 1374/2700
Performance: Good
Suit: Full TYR Hurricane Cat 5
Course: 2 loop, run on the shallow water/sand
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 29:53
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
08:19:10 | 112 miles | 13.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/79
Overall: 1653/2700
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 2.5 loops with 8000+ feet of climbing. 4 HUGE clims, 3 smaller climbs, and lots of rollers. Tough.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 11:16
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
05:16:07 | 26.2 miles | 12m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/79
Overall: 285/2700
Performance: Good
Course: Most of the course was beautiful, and rolling. Relatively flat, except for the bit*H of a hill out by the resort that we had to do twice.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-27 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: Ironman Lake Tahoe

2013-09-27 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4865852

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe
Awesome, awesome, awesome --- great read before I head out the door to drive to my Oly.   
2013-09-27 8:41 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Super job in some really horrific conditions.  You are a ROCKSTAR to finish.
2013-09-27 9:31 PM

User image

Master
Love you, love your race, love your report, love your husband, love your son, you're all sorts of awesome!! Congratulations on being the baddest of the mofos out there and finishing up that god-awful race!! You are a rock star, sweetheart!!
2013-09-28 1:30 PM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Agree the chicken broth was awesome! Great job out there. This was my slowest IM also, but the one I'm the most proud of. Way to keep moving forward & finishing strong!
2013-09-28 2:01 PM
in reply to: karen26.2

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
you're my idol.  You took lemons and made lemonade!  I love the photos of you smiling on the bike and the run; they truly epitomize your personality.  Well done Linda, well done!

2013-09-29 7:55 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-29 7:42 PM

ut the door to drive to my Oly
2013-09-30 5:17 AM
in reply to: ceeding

Expert
Noosa
Great race report! I think you did really well, sounds like a unique IM challenge! Glad you had fun
2013-09-30 7:52 AM

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
There is something seriously wrong with a race start when you have to scrap the ICE of your bike! Way to go Linda!!!!!
Amazing race and amzing finish. I'm so happy for both you and Jeff.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Tahoe Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by wannabefaster
Views: 2425 Posts: 11

2013-09-30 9:08 AM TrishM

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by Galas2
Views: 1696 Posts: 7

2013-09-27 7:48 PM velcromom

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by rafikichapman
Views: 1399 Posts: 2

2013-09-24 11:31 PM velcromom

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by tamoneya
Views: 1919 Posts: 6

2013-09-27 10:57 AM wannabefaster

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by Baowolf
Views: 3437 Posts: 8

2013-09-30 6:29 AM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.