General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tour de Scottsdale : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-28 11:25 AM

User image

Mesa, AZ
Subject: Tour de Scottsdale : Official Thread
I have run-walked Half Marathons, Marathons and participated in pool triathlons then Open Water Triathlons with my longest tri a Half Ironman this July at Vineman 70.3 Ironman in Wine country of California but I have never done a Tour Bike ride. I am slow enough in the swim that I seldom see large groups of riders on the bike portion of Tris unless there are laps. I am a bit concerned about riding my road bike in large groups. I have been on group rides with 30 or so cyclists but not hundreds.

2013-09-29 1:15 PM
in reply to: foyth

New user

Glendale, AZ
Subject: RE: Tour de Scottsdale : Official Thread
If it makes you feel any better I've never ridden with more than 10-15 people and I've never ridden more than 40 miles, so you are in better shape than I am! I'm looking forward to the challenge and think the big groups will make it easier, good luck.
2013-09-29 1:47 PM
in reply to: markus2884

User image

Mesa, AZ
Which distance are you riding, 30 miles or 70 miles? I decided to start with 30 miles since I have a full marathon Nov 3 in New York. I plan on riding 70 miler at Tour De Scottsdale next year and Tour De Tucson next year maybe 80 miler there.
2013-09-30 11:34 AM

User image

Phoenix AZ
I am a bit concerned about riding my road bike in large groups. I have been on group rides with 30 or so cyclists but not hundreds.

if you are that worried, just stay off the back.

other helpful tips: hold your line, hold your line, and hold your line. pay attention, don't half wheel, don't come out of the saddle if someone is close behind you, and be sure that you call out obstructions in the road, changes in pace, and turns.

there are lots of good local rides at various paces that you can practice riding in a group. i know that the west valley ride has a "c" group that is good for beginners. bicycle ranch has a "c" ride that covers some of the TDS course, and faster bike shop is doing sunday rides along the course with a fast and slow group.

2013-10-01 10:18 AM
in reply to: Bunsbert Montcroff

User image

Mesa, AZ
Good point, I usually ride with a smaller group on Saturdays in the east valley. There is a group that rides Saturdays from Two Wheel Jones Bike Shop and they often have A, B and C groups according to speed. I did ride with them on a 35 mile ride a couple of years ago. They tried to teach me drafting but I had an old Steel road bike then and I never really got used to shifting gears off center post and so the next year I bought a Trek Carbon Madone road bike. I can at least keep up with 15-18 MPH group now as long as there aren't too many hills.
2013-10-01 6:36 PM

New user

Glendale, AZ
I decided to do the safe thing and just go all out for the 70 mile ride! I rode 50 miles today so I'm hopeful that I won't die at the race

2013-10-02 11:15 AM
in reply to: markus2884

User image

Mesa, AZ
Great, I only rode 21 miles this morning but I am concentrating mostly on running to get ready for New York Marathon Nov 3
2013-10-02 11:36 AM

Regular
Tempe, AZ
Just a fyi...If you have a tri bike, they wont let you ride. They banned aero bars this year so if you can remove your aero bars, I would do it. I even contacted them directly mentioning that I have done this ride the last two years on my tri bike but I dont ride in Aero unless there is nobody in front of me. I understand why they banned them, just frustrating for me.

Aside from that...its a great ride and very scenic. Enjoy it.
2013-10-06 11:10 AM
in reply to: amills1210

User image

Mesa, AZ
Thanks, I had seen that rule change somewhere so I have done a few training rides on my road bike with Aero bars removed. It seemed weird at first and it really has only been a year or two since I first tried Aero bars, now it is weird but I think I'll be okay fo\r 30 miles this time. It is next year when I go for 70 or 80 miles in this race and/or Tour De Tucson.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tour de Scottsdale : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tour de Scottsdale : Official Thread

Started by Bunsbert Montcroff
Views: 1892 Posts: 9

2012-10-06 8:55 AM booth22

Tour De Scottsdale

Started by riorio
Views: 2058 Posts: 16

2010-09-29 6:35 PM perkins_jerryw

tour de scottsdale - results

Started by amills1210
Views: 1122 Posts: 2

2009-10-05 12:51 PM CactusTriathlete

Tour de Scottsdale

Started by bach03
Views: 1200 Posts: 8

2009-09-18 8:42 PM Oxofthedessert

How to Deal with Bandits! (Tour de Scottsdale)

Started by sportsjer
Views: 1418 Posts: 10

2009-03-10 6:13 PM Fitzy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?
date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.