World Triathlon Corporation
38F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 54m 5s
Overall Rank = 1072/2751
Age Group = 40-44F
Age Group Rank = 46/174
Pre-race routine:

Hahahahaha. Froze on the beach in my wet wetsuit. Should have going in the building.
Event warmup:

Vigorous bodyglide application and 1/2 sweet potato. Water was too cold to sip.
Swim
  • 1h 23m 25s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, people who have lost weight due to job and move stress ought not get cold before a swim in cold water. The reported water temps ranged from 57-64, so I have no idea of the actual, but it was cold. I was glad of Doug's booties and do not think they slowed me down. Fog and people trying to kill me slowed me down much more.

The first loop, I convinced myself that the cold was just discomfort and that I was being a wuss. Doug always says that cold is just uncomfortable but that he can take it, so I was trying to do that. The second loop, I realized that I was clenching my teeth together and tensing my head/neck/shoulders. Yeah, maybe not discomfort. Got a MF of a calf cramp in my left leg on the first loop. I was totally incapacitated, had to roll only my back to breathe, and then swam without moving that leg. On the second loop, I got t the same cramp on the other calf. Nice. Didn't have to flip over, but that took my legs out of commission for the remainder of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Stay warm prior to the start. Practice OWS in the cold.
Transition 1
  • 42m 34s
Comments:

Heh. I am laughing just looking at these questions. Because I was hobbling from the calf cramps and was wearing the sleeveless wetsuit so I was likely blue, a volunteer shuffled me off to the warming tent. I was in WAY better shape than the other folks in there, but could not get my hands to move. A volunteer rubbed me with a towel until I was ready to change, when I moved to the changing tent.

I managed to get my bathing suit off and jog bra on all by myself (YAY!) after the volunteer ripped my bag open since the bow had frozen shut. Then I recalled Doug's advice about keeping your head warm and put on my "Suck it Up Buttercup" headband and helmet. Other than the lack of hand coordination and the fact that I could not get my wetsuit off, transition went off without a hitch. Sure, it took eternity, but I was reasonably warm (enough to steer my bike and think clearly) when I left.

This transition was a consequence of my failure to stay warm at the start. That is one of the cool things about IM. If you screw up, you pay on your ass. And 'lo, I did.

Omit the warming tent. It wasn't warm and I could have changed in the other tent. Turns out the other tent was really crowded and crazy, but it seemed OK to me since I wasn't moving very fast.
Bike
  • 7h 54m 14s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode easy peasy pace. Stopped for wardrobe adjustments and a potty break. Probably lost about 5 minutes total, though, so it was OK. The hills in Maris Camp/Northstar were a surprise. They weren't awful, but were about the difficulty of Eves Road or riding around in Brookfield or Mountain Park. Then, we had the 4 mile climb up Brockway, which was not awful but really long. It was like riding up the bottom of Wileo for 4 miles or the Beast in the Beast of the East.

I met Josh who was racing for Stand Up to Cancer, Fireman Rob, and the Chef guy who was also raising money for cancer and they all raised about $20K each. Way to go, guys!

Nutrition was 1.75 bottles of electrolyte drink, 3 almond butter and honey sandwiches, 2 banana sections, and 2 bonk breaker bars. Also, about 1 full bottle of water.

Know the course better to know when to remove the jacket or raise/lower my armwarmers. Wear a better-fitting jacket to avoid wind drag. I might not go with the disc cover because it was hard for me to control on the downhills.

Go slower on the swim. I went a bit harder in the swim than planned because I knew that I needed to warm up. This sapped my energy for later.
Transition 2
  • 10m 1s
Comments:

Again, I laugh at the silly questions. I climbed gingerly off of my bike and limped into the tent, where I proceeded to talk to everyone and hang out. Chose to channel Scarlett O'Hara "As God as my witness, I'll never be cold again!" and wear tights and leave T2 with my Equilibrium LS tied around my waist and gloves in my jogbra, which was a great call.

Not chat so much? Whatever. 10 mins is OK.
Run
  • 4h 43m 51s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I LOVE the run. I had a great time from the beginning. I chatted with everyone, sang songs, danced, made friends, joked around, etc. I likely would have been faster if I had not sung Sweet Caroline, the Sesame Street song, Sing A Song, Prince, and Ironman at the top of my lungs for the whole first lap (18 miles), but really? Who cares? I met my new buddies Brian from Silicon Valley, and Jake with the red shirt and enjoyed talking with them. I also got to run with this cool girl who was finishing her first ironman and whose husband had won his AG! It was awesome. Once it got dark, I stopped for chicken broth at every aid station because it was so warm and delicious.

Nutrition: GU at 6, 12, 18 miles and broth throughout.

Bring a buddy who would enjoy singing with me. This run would have been more fun with a friend or if I could have kept up with Brian or Jake.
Post race
Warm down:

Superfast change

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Got too cold pre-race and during the swim. Swam too hard. General lack of motivation after the other two things.

Event comments:

People had lots of complaints about the course, but I loved it. I wanted a challenge and got it in spades. The volunteers were out of sight and the views were amazing. I was dismayed by the people beating me up on the swim and the litterers on the bike course. It was too dark to see if people were littering on the run.

If I do another long distance triathlon, it will be a similarly challenging course.

Last updated: 2012-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:23:25 | 4224 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 55/174
Overall: 1115/2751
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless Zoot suit, booties, 2 caps, earplugs
Course: Counterclockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 42:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:54:14 | 112 miles | 14.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 69/174
Overall: 1449/2751
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 10:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:43:51 | 26.2 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/174
Overall: 1072/2751
Performance: Good
Course: Advertised as a flat course, this WASN'T. It didn't matter to me because I prefer the hills and train on them, but someone who came from a flatter place, or lower altitude would have had difficulty. The course was just as dark as advertised, though, so I should have brought my headlamp. Tactical error.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-29 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Ironman Lake Tahoe

2013-09-29 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4866600

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Tahoe
Congrats on finishing Ironman under such tough conditions
2013-09-29 7:20 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I absolutely love your attitude. I like to sing so I wish I would have seen you on the run. I guess I wasn't really in singing mood but maybe you could have changed that.
2013-09-29 11:28 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

I wish I saw you!!  We could have had fun!!!!

Nice job, on a tough course!!

2013-10-07 1:31 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Champion
marietta
YEAH!!! AWESOME JOB STEPH!!!   watch out for velcro^^^^   she can be trouble!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Tahoe Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by wannabefaster
Views: 2429 Posts: 11

2013-09-30 9:08 AM TrishM

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by Galas2
Views: 1698 Posts: 7

2013-09-27 7:48 PM velcromom

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by rafikichapman
Views: 1401 Posts: 2

2013-09-24 11:31 PM velcromom

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by tamoneya
Views: 1922 Posts: 6

2013-09-27 10:57 AM wannabefaster

Ironman Lake Tahoe

Started by Baowolf
Views: 3439 Posts: 8

2013-09-30 6:29 AM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.