General Discussion Race Reports! » Clear Lake International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Clear Lake International Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
League City, Texas
United States
Outloud! Productions
Total Time = 1h 24m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This race was hard to prep for because the oly started an hour before the sprint but transition closed at the same time. I had a Clif bar and coffee at home and two PowerBar fruit pouches, one on the way down and one about 30 minutes before the race.
Event warmup:

Kristie was doing this race as well and so we made sure to get in the water before hand. I probably only swam 100 meters or so but it was good to get in the water and realize the saltiness of it wasn't going to be a problem for me.

While watching the oly swimmers take off, I counted docks and berths along the swim course so I would have something to focus on if I started to feel panicked.
Swim
  • 09m 14s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

Hands down, my best race swim. I don't know if the course was short if the salt water helps that much, but I'm very pleased with my time. Counting the berths and docks helped a lot as I was really surprised by how quickly the swim went by. I started off at the back of the wave on purpose but quickly got up to mid pack where I stayed most of the rest of the time. There was one girl in front of me right before the turn who kept going way off course. I had to do a sprint to pass her but then when we came up to the turn, I breast stroked to catch my breath and make the turn. That was the only breast stroking of the entire race! With about 100 yards to go, the men from the next wave caught up with me. I just let them pass me and I think only the top 3 guys passed me before the ladders. I had a clear path to a ladder so I turned it on at the end because I didn't want to get stuck waiting to get out of the water. I took a breath on the first rung just to orient myself and get out cleanly.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing except maybe start more mid pack.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I had a good transition. I need to learn a flying mount though. The girls and Josh were right there at the exit which is always a lot of fun to see them.

Just learn a flying mount. At some point I'm going to have to bite that bullet.
Bike
  • 48m 9s
  • 14.29 miles
  • 17.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, the best bike ride I've had.

I made the mistake of taking only PowerBar Perform on the bike. I underestimated how salty I would feel getting out of the water and wish I had taken either just water or an extra bottle of plain water on the bike. I didn't want anything with any amount of salt in it after that swim.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Good T2 - 5th in AG.

I really need tri bike shoes to be able to take my shoes off while on the bike.
Run
  • 22m 42s
  • 3.4 kms
  • 06m 41s  min/km
Comments:

This was awful. There was no reason for me to have as crappy of a run as I had but I really just didn't care and couldn't make myself care for some reason. It might have only been two miles but it was the hardest two miles of my life.

Should have walked the first bit to catch my breath and not start out so fast. I think that set me up for a constant heart rate battle.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run, I just was either afraid to push it anymore or pushed it too much on the bike and couldn't recover on the run. I still can't figure out which it was.

Last updated: 2013-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:14 | 500 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Straight out with a 90* right hand turn and climb ladders to get out of the water. Josh just said to pretend I was a Navy Seal.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:09 | 14.29 miles | 17.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course is basically a big square with just right hand turns. Windy in spots, of course, but not nearly as strong as it could have been. The course felt crowded the entire time though since the oly folks did the sprint course twice. Several obvious packs of guys went by but not much you can do about that. Riding up the bridge was fun but coming down was even better!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:42 | 03.4 kms | 06m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 17/
Performance: Bad
Course: Turns, turns, and more turns. This is by far the worst part of the race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-29 5:34 PM

New user

Houston
Subject: Clear Lake International Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clear Lake International Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Clear Lake International Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by bugluv23
Views: 641 Posts: 1

2012-09-30 2:16 PM bugluv23

Clear Lake International Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by CKTX
Views: 1337 Posts: 2

2011-08-30 10:25 AM uhcoog

Started by jhughes00
Views: 884 Posts: 1

2011-08-29 3:58 PM jhughes00

Started by chrisisen
Views: 1106 Posts: 1

2011-08-29 12:56 PM chrisisen

Clear Lake International Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by whoanellie
Views: 1115 Posts: 1

2011-08-29 9:18 AM whoanellie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.