General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Peters Rec-Plex Fall Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Peters Rec-Plex Fall Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Peters, Missouri
United States
St. Peters Rec-Plex Natatorium Foundation
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 44s
Overall Rank = 186/203
Age Group = 45-49F
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

Tried to eat breakfast but my stomach wasn't cooperating this morning. Managed to get down half a bowl of cereal and a couple of bites of an energy bar. I really hoped the lack the food wouldn't come back to bite me later.
Event warmup:

None - just trying to calm myself down.
Swim
  • 15m 11s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started out pretty good. About 200 meters in a guy with a snorkel pushed me out of his way - there was plenty of room to go around but I guess he figured he didn't have to. Got passed by quite a few people - you get seeded by when you register, not by estimated time - tried my best to stay out of the way. Things got a little backed up at the end because of the split lane.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, this went pretty well for me. If I want to do better, I need to spend more time in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Took my time here just to make sure I didn't forget anything. Transition times weren't recorded separately - I think it's included in my bike time - maybe 4-5 minutes?

move a little faster
Bike
  • 1h 30m 28s
  • 21.8 miles
  • 14.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Really nice course. Some hills in the first/last 3 miles but flat out in the farmland. You start out going uphill - not too bad here - then down a pretty big hill (which is a big uphill on the way back), over the RR tracks and out towards the farmland. It was really a pretty easy ride. Basically an out and back with a little bump-out on the way back. Some wind at spots but nothing major. Just a really nice morning for a ride.

The bike is my limiter and I was hoping to finish in about 1:30 - hit that almost exactly so very pleased. I really need to learn how to drink on the bike though - I did stop twice just for a minute to take in some Gatorade and water.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, no separate time but it couldn't have been more than 2 minutes maybe. I don't have to change shoes (I ride in my running shoes) so it was just rack the bike, switch helmet for visor, grab the race number and my handheld and off I went.
Run
  • 57m 36s
  • 4.55 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt pretty good starting off - I was able to do a shuffle instead of just walking. I did end up doing more of a run/walk through the course - it's somewhat hilly but nice with a lot of shaded areas. Took a gel as I was starting out - the lack of breakfast was starting to catch up with me. By the time I finished I was starving but I still felt really good at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and a breakfast burrito, then packed things up and headed for home.

Last updated: 2013-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:11 | 500 meters | 03m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/203
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rec-Plex pool 10 lengths of the pool. The first and last lane were split, the other were single way.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:28 | 21.8 miles | 14.46 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Out of the Rec-Plex lot, out across the highway and into the farmlands of St Peters.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:36 | 04.55 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Course: Through the park with one short section through a subdivision.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-29 6:04 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: St. Peters Rec-Plex Fall Triathlon

2013-09-30 6:12 AM
in reply to: #4866642

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: St. Peters Rec-Plex Fall Triathlon
Nice solid performance!!  Very strange that the swim wasn't seeded by time, I'm sure there were some frustrated swimmers!  And what's up with using a snorkel??  I wouldn't think that would be allowed.  Some really different distances for this race, what did they call it?  Definitely longer than a sprint, but not quite an Oly...  If you felt strong on the run at the finish, I'd say you had a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Peters Rec-Plex Fall Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Peters Rec-Plex Fall Triathlon

Started by adam.gentzler
Views: 1404 Posts: 1

2007-10-07 3:34 PM adam.gentzler

2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon

Started by triceo
Views: 1254 Posts: 3

2006-10-05 8:39 PM ejc999

Started by thartfordcm
Views: 1141 Posts: 1

2006-10-02 9:08 PM thartfordcm

2006 St. Peters REC-PLEX Fall Triathlon

Started by run joe run
Views: 1079 Posts: 4

2006-10-04 10:47 AM getsome

Started by soozey
Views: 767 Posts: 1

2006-01-20 8:42 PM soozey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
Top tips from triathletes on finding your way back to training

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching

date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.