General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss confusion - 1kg increase in 1 week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-29 7:21 PM

Subject: Weight loss confusion - 1kg increase in 1 week
Hi, first time long time.

I have a question regarding weight loss and nutrition that I still dont understand. This year I have been using Myfitnesspal app and logging my calories. I have been doing triathlons for a while now with success. I am 6'2 and have weighed 75-77kg racing. I was never lean, just really skinny, probably more like that term 'skinny fat'.

Im currently training about 14hrs/per week 2 sessions per day, and have been really focusing on a high protein intake (140gm+) and low sugar and carbs (less then 170grms). I have been achieving 2080 cals per day now for about a month.

Currently, I weigh 80kg (176pounds). Last week I weighed 78.9kgs. This is an increase of 1kg (2.2pounds)

Body wise (mirror and clothes tests) I am a lot leaner with less fat and more definition.

Are my calories too low and my body is going into starvation mode. I would love to get to 77kgs again because I loved the free run speed.

2013-09-30 7:36 AM
in reply to: giantfanboy

User image

Subject: RE: Weight loss confusion - 1kg increase in 1 week
you may have put on muscle which is denser and makes you weigh more, while taking up less room - which is why you look lean, but weigh more
2013-09-30 12:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Have you done any reading up on fat vs muscle? Smile

What is your goal?  Weighing less or having lean muscle? May not be the same thing as evidenced by your clothing fit.

http://bamboocorefitness.com/one-pound-of-fat-versus-one-pound-of-muscle-clearing-up-the-misconception/

p.s. My husband can see his weight change 1kg+ from morning to night. Lots and lots of factors.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2013-09-30 12:08 PM
2013-10-08 2:33 AM

Weight loss is really very difficult well there are various products that helps in weight loss,like slimming tea,coffee and Ventouse Minceur and I found Ventouse Minceur very effective this is a product by Cellu Blue and I am using it or weight loss and it seems effective on my body.

2013-10-08 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by giantfanboy Hi, first time long time. I have a question regarding weight loss and nutrition that I still dont understand. This year I have been using Myfitnesspal app and logging my calories. I have been doing triathlons for a while now with success. I am 6'2 and have weighed 75-77kg racing. I was never lean, just really skinny, probably more like that term 'skinny fat'. Im currently training about 14hrs/per week 2 sessions per day, and have been really focusing on a high protein intake (140gm+) and low sugar and carbs (less then 170grms). I have been achieving 2080 cals per day now for about a month. Currently, I weigh 80kg (176pounds). Last week I weighed 78.9kgs. This is an increase of 1kg (2.2pounds) Body wise (mirror and clothes tests) I am a lot leaner with less fat and more definition. Are my calories too low and my body is going into starvation mode. I would love to get to 77kgs again because I loved the free run speed.

Did you increase your salt intake when you upped your protein?  it will make you retain water. 

Also, make sure you're weighing yourself at the same time every day.  My routine is:  Wake up, take a pee, weigh myself.

It gives the most consistent results. 

FWIW, there is no "starvation mode"   Your body DOES adjust to the amount of calories you're taking in... usually over a period of several weeks.    2100 calories seems reasonable for an 80kg guy who wants to lose weight.... but probably a little low considering your activity level.  You might also start taking body measurements to see if you're dropping fat/muscle in certain areas and gaining in others.

Also, unless you're weighing your food, you're not as accurate on your calories as you think.   Whatever you're eating now, if you've "stalled" on your weight loss, you'll need to reduce the calories you eat (or increase the calories you burn) in order to shed some more weight.   Keep in mind that this might negatively affect your training.  You've got to fuel that workout somehow. 

If you want to "lose" that kilogram, try this:  cut your salt intake and drink some coffee.  You'll pee it right out over the course of a few days.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss confusion - 1kg increase in 1 week Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Unintended Weight Loss During Training

Started by matula
Views: 1383 Posts: 6

2009-02-07 4:15 PM trishie

Increase Protein w/out Increasing Carbs

Started by lkagop
Views: 3956 Posts: 11

2009-01-15 10:31 AM JohnnyKay

Increase Protein W/out Increasing Fat

Started by lkagop
Views: 2030 Posts: 15

2008-10-20 9:16 PM Comet

Weight loss & meal plan

Started by jjhall
Views: 850 Posts: 2

2006-11-17 9:04 AM sranney

Weight loss cal questions. Pages: 1 2

Started by rotorgeek
Views: 2715 Posts: 39

2005-07-25 3:57 PM Denise2003
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.
date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.