Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Things you see that help put it all in perspective Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-01 11:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Things you see that help put it all in perspective
Watching a young kid that had just collapsed receive CPR during the relay race I participated in this weekend. Then, finding out he didn't make it.

He was my oldest daughter's age.

I'm really trying to have more patience with family, friends, and myself since this happened.

Edited by Blanda 2013-10-01 11:51 PM

2013-10-01 11:57 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Elite

Been feeling a bit down this week - nothing major just life, people being a-holes etc.  Then i came across this thread today - I cried - and gave myself a slap and a talking to.

I'm going to keep coming back to this thread whenever i'm having a bad day.  I got nothing.

2013-10-02 11:10 AM
in reply to: switch

Last weekend I was out on my long ride. I was solo as most my training partners had conflicts that day. There is a great route with little traffic but it's an hour drive to get there. I usually won't go unless I plan to ride 3-4 hours or more. That day was only a 2-2.5 hr ride. I drove out there anyway. About 10 miles from the end of my ride, my wife called and told me that one of my neighbors had been hit and killed riding his motor scooter the night before. Granted the accident occurred around 11PM so completely different circumstances. My wife still gets nervous when I go on solo rides. I've more or less decided that I will do anything under 2 hours indoors on the trainer and will make the hour drive for most of my outdoor rides.

Back to the original topic, my neighbor leaves behind two twin sons that are 6 or 7 years old. Very sad situation.
2013-10-02 11:20 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Veteran

Lots of reasons Daniels, the wounded Warriors, the parents that pull, carry and push their children through the races... However during my first HIM I had all the mentioned "things" during my race but I also had a special motivator too.

Not like a first HIM would not be enough pressure or motivator I felt a need to reach out to someone who needs more than I to fight and succeed.

If you haven’t heard of Camilla Pedersen please go to http://www.swimmersdaily.com/2013/10/01/camilla-pedersen-feet-three-weeks-coma/ and you will understand the power of motivation determination and perseverance.

With IM70.3 Cozumel being my first HIM I wanted to see “who” the real racers were going to be and the list included Camilla.

After the news of Camilla’s crash and severe injury I contacted Ironman (WTC) and was put in contact with the race director. We worked out a deal to allow me to carry Camilla’s race number in addition to mine. I know during the bike leg I did “look” at the #14 taped on my top tube and thought this is easy compared to the journey/recovery Camilla will be going through.

After the bike I pinned her BIB on my race belt and started on the run of a lifetime.

The heat, humidity and then the storm all battered me and my fellow racers but also the BIB numbers.

It is strange the things you think of but after the race as I looked at the numbers I was sad they were so beat up, faded and water damaged. But a moment of clarity came when I realized the numbers correctly reflected me and my feelings. I was beat up, certainly water damaged and while happy to have finished felt drained both emotionally and physically.

Once I was refueled and resting with the celebratory BEER(S) I thought how to make the numbers look good as I will be sending it back to Camilla. I thought maybe to “color” them in or???

NOPE leave them as is!

Every time I look at it I will remember my first race and the beginning of Camilla’s long road to recovery to normalcy and hopefully back to a Triathlete; but she will always be a Champion.

The only change to the numbers will be the (exchange) addition of one of the small “bag” numbers to always have a reminder of the connection we share.

Camilla was brought out of her coma the day after the race and while I had nothing to do with that I can only hope that my actions helped and will continue to help her in her recovery.

(3.JPG)

(2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
3.JPG (804KB - 14 downloads)
2.JPG (685KB - 9 downloads)
2013-10-03 2:57 PM

User image

I ride on a greenway that runs along a creek. At this one area there are some flowerbeds with benches and little paths that lead to a hospital. The thing about hospitals is that unless you are there to have a baby, even if things end well, things are not going well at the time. Many many times I've passed by people sitting on those benches quietly crying or worse that 1,000 yard stare. I don't know what to do, I just keep going. I figure they've come down there to be alone so I just try to be really quiet and not disturb them on my way by.
2013-10-03 6:53 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I sometimes represent children whose parents are no longer able to care for them. I sometimes represent parents who are no longer able to care for their children. I am not around death or any other type of suffering. But, I can think of nothing worse than being that child who does not understand that they cannot go home and will never see their parents again except maybe being the parent who can't fully comprehend why they are unable to care for and because of that will never see their child again.

2013-10-04 7:52 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by BigDH I sometimes represent children whose parents are no longer able to care for them. I sometimes represent parents who are no longer able to care for their children. I am not around death or any other type of suffering. But, I can think of nothing worse than being that child who does not understand that they cannot go home and will never see their parents again except maybe being the parent who can't fully comprehend why they are unable to care for and because of that will never see their child again.

This is completely heartbreaking. 

Thank you to everyone who has posted to the thread (please keep posting as you think of others).  I find myself visiting it a couple times a day, reading through, and feeling grateful.

2013-10-04 8:38 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
A month or so ago I was running a tough 8 miles, it was hot. I was pretty darn miserable and as I came off the trail into my neighborhood I noticed a person sitting in a driveway as I got closer I realized the person was in a wheelchair and then that the person was a recent double amputee. My mantra for the rest of the run home was 'you have legs, you should run'. I kept thinking what this man would do to go for a walk with his grandkids and here I was b!tching about being able to run.
Yesterday I had a tough 14 mile run that had turned into a run/walk, guess who was sitting in his driveway again? I managed to pull it out and run.
2013-10-04 9:27 AM

Roswell
I posted this on my workout log last year:

I was running on a quarter mile high school track. About 5 minutes after I started a girl with cerebral palsy got on the track with her father. I would guess her to have been in her twenties. He held her crutch and she slowly walked the track. Every step was slow and took intense focus just for her to keep her balance, but you could see the look of total determination in her eyes as she continued to take step after step. I heard her father say that she was going to do one lap. By the time I left - a good 45 minutes later - she had made it about halfway around. She still had that same look of determination and no signs of stopping. I can't imagine what kind of inner strength it takes to do that. No matter the distance or speed I run, I am still not as strong as she. I am humbled to see what true strength really is.
2013-10-04 9:44 AM
in reply to: chrishatcher1138

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

When my father was dying from cancer I worked out my schedule so I could take him to all his chemo sessions.

The thing that really affected me was sitting in the waiting room and seeing young couples bringing their infants in for chemo.  Hard to even put into words.  Life just seems so unfair at times like that.

Mark

2013-10-05 5:37 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master

We watched this with our son today...for when he says he "can't" or "it's too hard".

Ritchie Parker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiLDMBDPCEY

2013-10-10 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

My youngest son has a classmate who was born with birth defects in his legs and feet...At 13 he's already had 50+ surgeries trying to make the best of his situation..

Anyway, he's the biggest optimist and cheerleader/motivator for everyone around him yet he's the one facing the surgeries, recoveries and still faces uphill battles.. He is genuinely happy and excited for his buddies and their athletic successes... My son happens to excel at soccer and this kid calls him Messi (soccer god if you don't recognize the name) and is always bragging him up...

I think of him when I'm feeling too tired to work out or just don't have the juice on a particular day...I tell myself karma will b - - ch slap me upside the head for not using the gift of health....

2013-10-14 6:48 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

I work in emergency medicine and several weeks ago I found myself performing CPR on a 10 month old.  This child did not make it.  It hit very close to home as my husband and I had recently started trying to get pregnant.  To this day, every time I hear someone complain about the smallest things I bring that experience back and I'm reminded that at any moment your life could change.  No matter how hard a day I was having, I still got to go home to my healthy family.  

2013-10-16 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Tomorrow is not a promise so express your love and gratitude to others now.

I work in emergency medicine and every day at work I am humbled by how fortunate I am and by how precarious our existence is. Every day reminds me to live like there is no tomorrow because, for each of us, one day there won't be a tomorrow. We never know when that day will come.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Things you see that help put it all in perspective Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Putting your problems into perspective

Started by SWIM2LIVE
Views: 850 Posts: 4

2012-03-18 9:45 PM Left Brain

I lift things up and put them down.

Started by graceful_dave
Views: 3776 Posts: 24

2011-02-05 6:30 AM FishrCutB8

Things not to put in your bum Pages: 1 2

Started by running2far
Views: 3937 Posts: 33

2010-03-12 11:00 AM Baowolf

smarta$$ things to put on a road id

Started by autumn
Views: 1139 Posts: 25

2006-10-25 10:31 AM Marvarnett

The funniest thing I've seen this month..

Started by waskelton
Views: 836 Posts: 4

2005-04-20 1:51 PM rkreuser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.
date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.

date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.