Angry Cow Adventures
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 28m
Overall Rank = 4/12
Age Group = 0-99
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6 am. Got dressed. Ate usual breakfast sandwich: 2 sheets of graham crackers with pb and 1 sliced banana. Glass of milk to wash it all down. Loaded the truck with the Kayak and bike. Drove 50 minutes to event. Nervous the whole way to event that the kayak or bike would fly out, even though the odds were slim as they were ratcheted down. Still, nervous the whole way something was going to fly out.
Event warmup:

Jogged to and from the bathrooms as a warm up.
Swim
  • 2h 00m
  • 8046 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

I got passed by quite a few teams (2 people in the boat), and 3 women were ahead of me when all was said and done. I don't remember if they started ahead of me, but doesn't matter, they finished ahead of me. Everyone had different kayaks. Mine was the only sit-on-top style. Perhaps not the fastest style of kayak. The gal that was 1st out of the water had a really long narrow fiberglass kayak. Looked super fast. My fatter kayak probably not the most streamlined, but I also never tipped it. Also lost my paddle while dragging the kayak over a long shallow area. Didn't even notice it fell out. Had to go back and get it. Lucky it got stuck in a shallow area and I didn't have to go too far, but cost me a few minutes (in a 2 hour rowing section what is a couple minutes?)
What would you do differently?:

Find a faster kayak to borrow? Build up my kayaking arms/shoulders? Practice? Cut the course short? :-)
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

We'll call this the Run to Kayak section transition. man I wish I could re-arrange the order of these.

I had my kayak pretty close to the river. Many others had theirs back about 50 yards and had to carry them down. This was smart on my part and really sped up my TA into the river. Glad I didn't have to carry the big, heavy awkward thing more than 15 feet. Donned my life vest, but had to wait in line while other teams in front of me tried to get in their canoes. Felt like I was standing waiting forever, but it was maybe 30 seconds.
Bike
  • 56m
  • 16 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Road my new bike. Still need to get used to it. Went into the race with sore muscles from a workout on Friday. Two unsmart moves, but I didn't really care how I did at the race, it was something to do and more of a workout for me. Didn't feel like I had the leg power for this race, which may be due to the facts that the bike leg was the last event of the race, my legs were still tired from previous workout, and I was riding a brand new bike.

I had thought ahead of time I was going to kill the flat section with speed. That didn't happen as the flat section was into the wind. I probably averaged only 14 mph through the flat section -rather disappointed. Got passed by 2 gals on the course (one on a tri bike, one on a tri set-up road bike), but I passed several other guys and gals, nearly all were on hybrid or mtb bikes, so I didn't get any glory from passing them. I went into this last leg as the 4th gal and finished as the 4th gal. I assume the people I passed and the 2 that passed me were all team competitors (different category).

Skip the Friday workout. Not ride a brand new bike. Oh, and not stay up late drinking alcohol the night before. Forgot about that one!
Transition 2
  • 05m 30s
Comments:

This would be the kayak to bike transition. (run, kayak, bike was the correct order at the race). Had to remove wet sand filled shoes and socks. Wipe off as much sand from my feet as possible and don new socks and bike shoes. Also swapped out wet gloves for dry gloves. The whole change out took 3.5 minutes. Plus there was a good jaunt from the kayak section to the TA section which took about 2 minutes to jog.

Had water to rinse the sand off my feet.
Run
  • 25m
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Thighs didn't appreciate the hills (see previously mentioned Friday workout). Someone or something had torn down some of the course marking tape and had to stop and wait for other runners to make a group decision on which path we should follow. We must have chosen the right one as we eventually made it back out of the trails. I think the course was just short of 3 miles.

See all previous "what would you do differently" comments.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a muffin, drank some water. Loaded up the kayak and bike. Missed the awards. :-(

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pretty obvious here. Race was fun and challenging and I was happy with it despite not bringing and giving my A game.

Event comments:

no drink stations. You didn't need them. Pretty much self supported course. Liked how the course was so different from all other tri formats. It was challenging for sure.

Last updated: 2013-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
02:00:00 | 8046 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/12
Performance:
Suit: Life Vest
Course: This section was actually AFTER the run section, but I can't change up how it appears on BT website as far as I know. This was a 5 mile KAYAK section, not a swim. 2.5 miles up the river and another 2.5 miles down the river. I would say I averaged 1.5-1.7 mph going up river and 4.5-5 mph going back down the river. It took probably 1.5 hours to go up the river and a half hour to come back down. My arms and shoulders were screaming. There were multiple shallows where you had to get out of the kayak and drag it through the sand - which came as a relief to my upper body. The way back it was easier to follow the current and find the deeper portions and I think I only had to get out 2-3 times, versus at least 10+ time while going up river.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:00 | 16 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Rectangular course over many hills. First 3.5 miles were a essentially uphill. Next 4 were a net downhill. Then a flat section of 2-3 miles into the wind. Then hills the rest of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:00 | 03 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Performance:
Course: 1st event of the day. Steep hills. Nearly all on single track dirt paths with 2 foot bridges to cross. Super fun and beautiful run through the trees.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-30 10:52 AM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Subject: Platte River Triathlon

2013-09-30 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4867135

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Platte River Triathlon
Awesome job! How did the new bike feel?
2013-10-01 4:32 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
The bike felt quite comfortable. Need to perhaps work on my position just a bit, I think it would help with my leg power. I need to get a better seat for it first. Borrowed the one off my cx bike, and I need something for the more aggressive seating position of the tri bike. Perhaps I'll try out one of those funky looking Adamo saddles?
2013-10-01 6:48 PM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
What's wrong with the stock saddle? I always give the stock saddle a try for a couple rides before I spend money on a different saddle. I'm currently using an Adamo and really like it but it was the 4th one I tried. It was the most expensive so I was hoping I would find a cheaper one that worked but ended up having to go with the Adamo.
2013-10-02 8:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
The stock saddle is horrible. I can in no way, shape, or form, ride the saddle that was on there. I sat on it in the bike shop to have the basic set up performed and I was in serious pain. They had no good seat alternatives in the shop. I have major soft tissue issues. I require a cut out and the stock saddle has none, plus it had a really, really long nose.

Edited by crissy_jo 2013-10-02 8:31 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Platte River Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Platte River Trail Half Marathon

Started by devo27
Views: 1855 Posts: 3

2006-04-04 10:28 AM devo27

Platte River Half Marathon

Started by devotchkatata
Views: 1457 Posts: 4

2007-04-02 3:24 PM snowgirl

Started by verve500
Views: 1409 Posts: 3

2005-07-28 3:07 PM verve500

Started by Alpine87
Views: 953 Posts: 5

2005-04-05 10:25 AM velasqu7

Started by COgirl
Views: 1565 Posts: 21

2005-04-06 12:59 AM David_Zen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : April 5, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on river swims, speedsuits, road bike at IMKY, FOP IM pointers, saddle positioning, run8/walk2 method, treadmill to outside running, heelstriking and HRM on race day.