General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Fall Challenge Olympic Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 39m 16s
Overall Rank = 33/122
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Had a wedding to go to the night before, so I didn't get home until probably 11:15; didn't get to bed till after midnight. Fell asleep but woke up around 3:30 and was unable to fall asleep. Laid in bed for a while, then got up and made some french toast and a protein shake. Left for the race at about 5:30 - an hour an a half before transition opened. Got to the site, got checked in and set the bike up. Hung around talking with my coach and some other friends.
Event warmup:

Went out and got in water and did a few strokes out and back a couple of times.
Swim
  • 26m 25s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was a beach start, with all age group males 39 and under; so decent size crowd. Started in 2nd row. A decent amount of contact first 100 meters or so. Pretty sure I took a foot to the head which messed with my cap at some point so I had to fix it.
I believe I just barely negative split.
Above time is chip time which includes 1/5th mile run to transition. My watch time was 25:10; so around 1:41/100m which I'm ecstatic about.

What would you do differently?:

Push harder
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

mats were just on the sides of transition, so it was a short area. Still took me a while - first race with the wetsuit. Helmet and glasses got knocked to the ground at somepoint

Shoes on bike maybe?
Bike
  • 1h 10m 36s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.99 km/hr
Comments:

Did a decent job keeping power up. I just got the powermeter about 3 weeks ago, so haven't done FTP test or set FTP yet; Based on training peaks recommended FTP (230) based on some of my harder rides, my goal was to keep power up around 210-220. I think I did that pretty well.
Course was pretty crowded, they had a sprint race, mini tri and a half going on at the same time. Half went off after me, so I didn't see any of those people until my 2nd lap; but the first lap had a TON of sprint people, many of whom were riding in the middle of the road.. It's a good think it was on unmarked country roads or I would've been screaming on your left and move over pretty much every 30 seconds the first lap.

I ran into a bit of traffic at the 2nd hill on my way up; it's a pretty good downhill then the hill starts, and then a left turn at a T intersection and the hill picks up grade. There was a truck stopped a the T (on the straight road) where we had to turn left and go around them; riders were riding mostly two wide at this point and I thought I could make it through on the left; but at the last second somebody got close to me and I clipped the tail end of the truck with my left shoulder.. which robbed me of all my momentum and ability to stay straight; so I pulled over to the left and stopped. Of course at this point I was on some of the steeper road and while i was in the small chainring, was on the low end of my cassette. Tried getting started there, but had to stop and pick the rear tire up and shift so I could get going. Managed to get back on the bike and ride up the hill, but this little incident robbed me of 30 seconds or so of time. Also did something to my right leg above the knee.. not sure what, but it started hurting a bit.. was able to keep the power up though

On the 2nd lap, coming off the 2nd section of chip and seal, I took the left a little close to the corner in some looser gravel and the back tire broke loose a bit. I was able to keep the bike upright and moving, but definitely should have slowed down more.

Was unable to get any of my Infinit Jet Fuel other than a few sips about 10 minutes after the swim. Stomach did not like me .. so I just went without (didn't have any water on the bike)

Averaged above 21mph which was my goal!
Overall rank is removing those with 0:00 as time (and longer t1+t2 than my t1+t2+bike)

Not clip the tail end of a truck. haha
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

For some reason this took me longer than it should have. Got the bike racked, took helmet off and sat down to put on socks & shoes. Grabbed my water bottle and gu chomps and ran out.

My bike and swim time put me in 1st in my age group with a 3:40 lead on the next person

Move faster
Run
  • 59m 56s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 59s  min/km
Comments:

Probably went into the run a little dehydrated, as i wasn't able to get any liquid into me on the bike.

Run faster..
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some cookies and drank 2 bottles of water. Picked up stuff from transition; put it into/on car; changed and got a half hour massage on my legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run ability..

Event comments:

Race started a few minutes late.. but not hugely. No water stations on bike, but that was known going in. Run had 3 stations which you passed each twice.
Overall decision making was only average, because I shouldn't have tried to pass on that hill.. though I didn't want to loose my speed and get stuck spinning behind slow people.

Only thing I can think of I would like to see changed is the location of the turn around for the 2nd lap on the bike. You have to reenter the park and weave through 2 lanes of bike traffic, car traffic and run traffic. Not conducive to keeping speed.
I also don't like how they don't have bibs for the run.. Makes actual competing hard as you don't know who has passed you.

As usual, my CRAPPY run lost me some positions..

Going into the run I had a 3:40 lead on #1 and 5:07 lead on #2... #1 ran a 48:36 run, so managed to run over 2min/mile faster than me.. #2 ran a 53:55; so 1min/mile faster..

Happy with 3rd.. I think if I realized I was in 1st going into the run I would've ran a bit harder; especially when #2 passed me (about 3 miles in).. I might have been able to hold him off.. I sure would've tried.

Last updated: 2013-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:25 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 21/122
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Sleeved Wetsuit
Course: 2 lap counter clockwise rectangular course, starting at bottom right. Straight out, left at far buoy, left turn at next turn buoy; back to around the starting area; another lap, and then a right around the final buoy.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:36 | 40 kms | 33.99 km/hr
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 13/122
Performance: Good
5 mile splits: 14:37; 21.2 mph; 218W 13:02; 23 mph; 217W 15:24; 19.5 mph; 221W (hill & turn around) 13:45; 21.8 mph; 226W 13:45; 21.5 mph; 218W (4.9 miles) NP 231; AP 218; Avg HR just under threshold (2bpm under @159)
Wind: Little
Course: two lap course on country roads. fairly flat except two decent grade hills at the end of each lap. Turn around was right by the bike exit, so it was a bit of slow weaving through 2 lanes bike traffic, cars and runner traffic. Slight wind, which picked up on the 2nd lap a little (less than 5mph) Two sections of chip-and-seal road.. which SUCK.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:59:56 | 10 kms | 05m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 80/122
Performance: Average
I'm getting annoyed that training peaks looses the laps when it's multisport mode. 9:37; 9:38; 9:34; 9:49; 9:41; 9:54; 1:42 Avg hr was just under z4.. not sure I believe that entirely because I noticed some spikes and drop outs.
Course: Out and back; first 1/10 mile is pavement; next mile is grass (i hate it); and then rest was pavement - over a dam and then along country roads
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-30 11:59 AM

User image

Subject: Deer Creek Fall Challenge Olympic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Ironman Triathlon

Started by marathongirl11
Views: 1131 Posts: 1

2010-10-22 4:57 PM marathongirl11

Deer Creek Fall Challenge Olympic (Mini)

Started by takewrning
Views: 784 Posts: 1

2010-10-01 10:02 AM takewrning

Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Ironman Triathlon

Started by k-read23
Views: 2578 Posts: 4

2010-09-29 8:31 PM Dream Chaser

Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Sprint Triathlon

Started by glenmoore62
Views: 1162 Posts: 1

2010-09-27 3:29 PM glenmoore62

Deer Creek Fall Challenge Olympic (Mini)

Started by bananatoes
Views: 1392 Posts: 5

2010-09-29 12:28 PM David tri's
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.