2013-10-07 4:28 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: What would you do?
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by msteiner

It's taken me a while to warm up to LB, but I won't lie.  The man did come across as a troll to me at first.  I don't always agree with everything he says, but now I "get it" (I think...).

There isn't a person on the planet I could say I agree with 100% of the time (lol, I don't even always agree with myself).

He's the straightest shooter there is.  Sometimes people aren't comfortable with that.  I appreciate it.  I find I appreciate it most when I need it the most.  That's what good friends do

I just wish the animosity would die down.  I'll point out the elephant in the room.  People jumping in here with an axe to grind is a bit silly.  I don't see why we can't have a discussion about something without the backhanded comments.  And then jumping into another thread to call people who disagree with you "idiots" simply because you don't understand their position is equally silly.

I know a lot of these topics discussed in this particular forum people have strong opinions on, but at least stay level headed.  Lord knows I've bit my tongue hard enough reading some of the stuff that goes on in this forum.  

2013-10-07 4:35 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I don't see why we can't have a discussion about something without the backhanded comments.  

I will second this motion.

2013-10-07 4:38 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

It's taken me a while to warm up to LB, but I won't lie.  The man did come across as a troll to me at first.  I don't always agree with everything he says, but now I "get it" (I think...).

There isn't a person on the planet I could say I agree with 100% of the time (lol, I don't even always agree with myself).

He's the straightest shooter there is.  Sometimes people aren't comfortable with that.  I appreciate it.  I find I appreciate it most when I need it the most.  That's what good friends do

I just wish the animosity would die down.  I'll point out the elephant in the room.  People jumping in here with an axe to grind is a bit silly.  I don't see why we can't have a discussion about something without the backhanded comments.  And then jumping into another thread to call people who disagree with you "idiots" simply because you don't understand their position is equally silly.

I know a lot of these topics discussed in this particular forum people have strong opinions on, but at least stay level headed.  Lord knows I've bit my tongue hard enough reading some of the stuff that goes on in this forum.  

You should try hanging out in other political forums.  

This place is pretty tame because we all have a shared interest in Triathlons.  There are hugely diverse backgrounds and philosophies that we all bring to the table, but we still have a common bond that holds us together as a group.

I know I post a lot of political stuff here, but this truly is one of the best places I've found to discuss these things because everywhere else is a bunch of like minded people drudging on about one side of the issue.  If somebody tries to politely bring up an opposing view they get shouted down and banned from the forum.

I've learned a lot from other BT members and have even changed some of my positions based on the discussions.

Sometimes we get a little Trollish, but for the most part it's good clean fun trying to sell our position on this or that.

2013-10-07 4:52 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by tuwood
Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Originally posted by jford2309 as did you.

No, I made an observation based on having worked undercover for a DEA task force for 5 years.  It really doesn't have anything to do with any opinion I might have. 

You know what I love about the anonymity of the internet?
You can make wild, unsubstantiated claims in a hollow attempt to support your condescending and intentionally inflammatory comments.

Bravo! Keep up the stellar work.Wink

Oh yeah, I forgot we could do that...  
Well when I worked under cover as a Navy Seal assassinating Russian spies I never broke cover either.  This was in between my stint as a fighter pilot and exploring the back side of the moon on a secret mission none of you know about.

I will say that I've never met LB in person, but if I were to bet money I'd bet on his credentials being solid.

Dude......he's English, I'm Irish.....I didn't like the guy before he posted that.  Laughing

Watch where you're slinging the mud Irishman....Cool

2013-10-07 4:52 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

This place is absolutely tame.  I see lots of folks getting their feelings hurt really easily...and alot of them are people who have no problem going off on someone else when they see something they don't like.  Whatever.  I'm still trying to figure out how anyone gets offended on an internhet chat board.  Seriously....how does that happen? 

As for calling someone an "idiot" or whatever....I sure as heck don't see that on this board.   In fact, I don't see much animosity at all.

Oh......this should get really i nteresting. Laughing

2013-10-07 4:54 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

NM

I am going home. Have a good night and enjoy

2013-10-07 5:27 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

He's the straightest shooter there is.  Sometimes people aren't comfortable with that.  I appreciate it.  I find I appreciate it most when I need it the most.  That's what good friends do :)

I want to follow you on this, but I don't know the other thread you're referring to, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

This forum is frequented by many of the board's opinionated frequent posters.  We've discussed this a bit in another thread, Matt, but this board is really pretty civil--much more so than, say, the LR.  I've gone to verbal blows with people in this forum, but it almost always gets smoothed over, either by me admitting I was being an azz, or through PMs or other posts and additional discussion.  Actually, some of the people I would say I like to read on the forum are people I've had strong disagreements with in the past :)

The only people I really have a hard time with are people who never admit they're wrong, or people who like to needle others JUST for the sake of needling.  I have a hard time with that and tend to call habitual offenders out.  Always have and always will.

That being said, I was starting to do that with posts on religion, and I've since decided to abstain.  Sometimes you need to recognize your own limits :)

2013-10-07 5:56 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

I want to follow you on this, but I don't know the other thread you're referring to, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

This forum is frequented by many of the board's opinionated frequent posters.  We've discussed this a bit in another thread, Matt, but this board is really pretty civil--much more so than, say, the LR.  I've gone to verbal blows with people in this forum, but it almost always gets smoothed over, either by me admitting I was being an azz, or through PMs or other posts and additional discussion.  Actually, some of the people I would say I like to read on the forum are people I've had strong disagreements with in the past

The only people I really have a hard time with are people who never admit they're wrong, or people who like to needle others JUST for the sake of needling.  I have a hard time with that and tend to call habitual offenders out.  Always have and always will.

That being said, I was starting to do that with posts on religion, and I've since decided to abstain.  Sometimes you need to recognize your own limits

I read the first page and I guess I shouldn't have skipped #2,,,, that didn't come out right. dohhh... 

How you been Switch, long time.

fwiw, I think LB pretty much hit the nail on the head. 

I heard somewhere that there had been multiple 911 calls made about the motorcycles in question just prior to the SUV incident...

I thought I heard Pearce Morgan say that the SUV in questions was an AR-15 model.

2013-10-07 7:57 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by crusevegas

He's the straightest shooter there is.  Sometimes people aren't comfortable with that.  I appreciate it.  I find I appreciate it most when I need it the most.  That's what good friends do :)

This forum is frequented by many of the board's opinionated frequent posters.  We've discussed this a bit in another thread, Matt, but this board is really pretty civil--much more so than, say, the LR.  I've gone to verbal blows with people in this forum, but it almost always gets smoothed over, either by me admitting I was being an azz, or through PMs or other posts and additional discussion.  Actually, some of the people I would say I like to read on the forum are people I've had strong disagreements with in the past :)

That being said, I was starting to do that with posts on religion, and I've since decided to abstain.  Sometimes you need to recognize your own limits :)

I read the first page and I guess I shouldn't have skipped #2,,,, that didn't come out right. dohhh... 

How you been Switch, long time.

fwiw, I think LB pretty much hit the nail on the head. 

I heard somewhere that there had been multiple 911 calls made about the motorcycles in question just prior to the SUV incident...

I thought I heard Pearce Morgan say that the SUV in questions was an AR-15 model.

Vegas! Waaaasssup?! Where the hell have you been?

Dude, why do you only do the occasional drive-by posting? Even if it is an AR-15 drive by;)

Yeah, if it has to do with cops, undercover, guns, and general stuff like that, I just defer to LB. 

Hope your long regular absences are just because you have so many cool things in your life vying for your time:)

2013-10-07 9:22 PM

User image

Elite

This place is absolutely tame.  I see lots of folks getting their feelings hurt really easily...and alot of them are people who have no problem going off on someone else when they see something they don't like.  Whatever.  I'm still trying to figure out how anyone gets offended on an internhet chat board.  Seriously....how does that happen? 

As for calling someone an "idiot" or whatever....I sure as heck don't see that on this board.   In fact, I don't see much animosity at all.

You are wrong, but I respect your deeply moronic comments tremendously.

2013-10-07 9:24 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Originally posted by powerman

Bro.....you meant to hurt me, didn't you. Cry

2013-10-07 9:28 PM

User image

Elite

Awwww..... Buttercup, I'm sorry. It will be OK Princess. Sometimes the interweb just makes me SO CRAZY!!!

2013-10-07 9:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Awwww..... Buttercup, I'm sorry. It will be OK Princess. Sometimes the interweb just makes me SO CRAZY!!!

You can't hurt me p-man......I've already been hurt beyond recognition tonight. Laughing  I was invited to talk at a recovery meeting for heroin addicts and parents of heroin addicts.  Everybody pretty much wanted to know what I was going to do about the problem.....I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of people driving home right now trying to figure out how I could possibly advocate legalization and treatment in place of what we are doing now.  I think I made a convert or two.....but man, talk about some folks who are dug in.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.....Thanks Obama!! Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-07 9:39 PM
2013-10-07 9:51 PM

User image

Elite

You can't hurt me p-man......I've already been hurt beyond recognition tonight. Laughing  I was invited to talk at a recovery meeting for heroin addicts and parents of heroin addicts.  Everybody pretty much wanted to know what I was going to do about the problem.....I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of people driving home right now trying to figure out how I could possibly advocate legalization and treatment in place of what we are doing now.  I think I made a convert or two.....but man, talk about some folks who are dug in.

It's official... this one is completely off the rails.

Ya Bud, you lost me there... I mean criminal organizations and corrupt government officials really need the billions in funding. And there is a huge economic benefit from continuing to build prisons and lock up millions for mental and medical problems with stiff mandatory sentences. I mean, if we tried, that could really take off and then we would be doing good.

Not sure why you want to mess up such a good thing. Wink

Oh... and think of all the saving Obamacare will reap!!!

2013-10-07 9:55 PM

User image

Pro

It's official... this one is completely off the rails.

Eh....sorry....I figured once you called me buttercup it was anything goes. Laughing

2013-10-07 10:08 PM

User image

Elite

Eh....sorry....I figured once you called me buttercup it was anything goes. Laughing

OK LB.... so even if it wasn't legalized... I'm not sure how it would look... but just decriminalize it.... I was typing stuff... but ya, it has to be legalized. Leave prison for violent offenders.... like the DBs on the motor cycles. Anything new on them?

2013-10-07 10:13 PM

User image

Pro

OK LB.... so even if it wasn't legalized... I'm not sure how it would look... but just decriminalize it.... I was typing stuff... but ya, it has to be legalized. Leave prison for violent offenders.... like the DBs on the motor cycles. Anything new on them?

There is a group here that hosts a BIG rally every year for biker groups like that one.  This year 2 were killed.  In other years there have been run ins with motorists, etc.  The first year they would just shut down highways to do their stunts, etc....it was nuts.  Now the police just grab all of them that we can for whatever violation we can find and have their bikes towed, etc.  It's not an ideal situation, but there is A LOT of public support for us to do whatever we need to do to lessen what can become a really dangerous situation. 

2013-10-07 10:51 PM

User image

Elite

I do not know about this event either... lots of problems the day before. And all these guys in trouble are late 30s 40s... REALLY... you are out acting the fool at 40 STILL! I assumed it was a bunch of 20 yos. I don't even get it.

I'm not sure how much the "pack mentality" plays into it... a certain anonymity, they can't catch all of us.... It's just stupid. And I get the "thrill of it"... but still. And the beating... well now you really messed up. I'm sure is a bunch of law makers coming up with a bunch of stupid stuff as we speak. Too bad.

2013-10-07 11:09 PM

User image

Pro
I was listening to the news tonight and some detective group in New York said that the "undercover officer" wasn't riding with the group, he came up on the scene when it was over.  Who knows.  Depending what his undercover role was we'll likely never know exactly what the deal is with that.  We can all agree or disagree on whether that's right.....but it doesn't matter, we won't know.  It is pretty clear that many in that group are career criminals.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-07 11:12 PM
2013-10-08 1:17 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Sorry if I pass on the "love fest" going on...

Just a couple thoughts on the OP.  I figure the mob mentality kicks in a bit.  Even worse with career criminals and guys that think they are "too cool for the room"/rebel mentality.  It probably wouldn't get to this level, but if a car hit a cyclist in a group, I could see the rest of the cyclists getting angry enough to beat on the car.

I never know what I would do in a situation like that BUT if I had a gun would I shoot?  Maybe, maybe not.  I may wonder if guys in the pack are carrying and suddenly they all draw and pump the car full of lead with the family trapped inside.  Maybe not a good idea.

I would probably flee, but call the police on the phone and say I was being chased and stay on the highway OR find the nearest police station or hospital emergency room and drive to that.  I would NOT stop.  I guess they got boxed in a bit, so that's not completely in  your control.

These guys think on a level I never could.  I could curse and yell and punch the car that struck a friend, but if I saw a terrified woman and two yr-old then proceed to beat up the guy?  Wow.

I hope these guys get the full penalty the law can dish out.

2013-10-08 3:51 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

It just keeps getting more interesting...

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Undercover-NYPD-Cop-Window-Smash-Video-SUV-Biker-Brawl-226892961.html

SO now they are saying that a UC is seen on video smashing out the guys rear window. Says he left as soon as the guy was pulled out of the SUV but did not report it. The article also says that the UC was off duty and was not assigned to this ride.

I would hate to the DA on this one.

2013-10-08 4:24 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro

Here's a news account that says the UC officer was "pounding" on the rear window.....doesn't say anything about the window being broken by him.  Maybe he was yelling for the driver to get the hell out of there.  Maybe not.  I'd be more interested to hear why the officer came forward and how "undercover" he was....that's a better part of the story.  I'd like to know if he was compelled because he did something wrong that someone knows about, or if he just figured his "cover" didn't matter and it was the right thing....or he felt guilty because he was involved in a criminal way.  There's alot to consider that the media goofs don't worry about getting right.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/08/us/bikers-attack-video/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

2013-10-08 4:31 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Here's a news account that says the UC officer was "pounding" on the rear window.....doesn't say anything about the window being broken by him.  Maybe he was yelling for the driver to get the hell out of there.  Maybe not.  I'd be more interested to hear why the officer came forward and how "undercover" he was....that's a better part of the story.  I'd like to know if he was compelled because he did something wrong that someone knows about, or if he just figured his "cover" didn't matter and it was the right thing....or he felt guilty because he was involved in a criminal way.  There's alot to consider that the media goofs don't worry about getting right.

Well I am sure that in your LE experience, you would agree that the first time someone tells their story, it will definately change by the 2nd and 3rd go around. No one ever gets the true story on the first interview. Maybe we can agree on that??

2013-10-08 4:35 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by jford2309

Well I am sure that in your LE experience, you would agree that the first time someone tells their story, it will definately change by the 2nd and 3rd go around. No one ever gets the true story on the first interview. Maybe we can agree on that??

No, I would not agree with that.  Some stories never change.....especially when the truth is told.  What we don't know is if the Officer's story has changed or if the story to the media from "leaks" has changed.  If you want to say that the media's story definately changes by the 2nd or 3rd time I would agree with that.  And "leaks" to the media are the most unreliable of all.

The truth is the truth, it never changes if that's your "story".

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-08 4:36 PM
2013-10-08 4:42 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
OK, I give up!  LOL I am done!
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » What would you do? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"