General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3-4 hr long ride overkill for 1 hour races???? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-30 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: 3-4 hr long ride overkill for 1 hour races????
I am looking ahead to next year trying to plan when I will peak, what volume I want to reach etc. I realized that the two cycling events I raced in this year were both around 27 miles and took just over an hour. Do I need to do 3-4 hour long rides once a week to build endurance in base (and to maintain it during the season) for these type of races?
Okay, now...maybe I don't NEED to, but will it help me at all in 1-2 hour races? I don't mind doing them but in the winter I think they are hard to do (especially on the trainer!!). I realize that most people will probably want way more information than this (ht, wt, eye color, etc...) but IN GENERAL...does one benefit from 3-4 hour long rides when they are only racing for 1-2 hours? Thanks

2013-09-30 7:24 PM
in reply to: Kermat89

User image

Subject: RE: 3-4 hr long ride overkill for 1 hour races????

Increasing your training load will help to increase your fitness across all race distances.

For a 3-4 hour ride, you don't have to ride at the same effort/power the entire time.  You can break it up into 10-30 minute intervals where you're slightly below, at, or above your goal race effort/power.

2013-10-01 12:40 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

What does the rest of the week look like for you?

Yes, there is benefit. But I think it would behoove you to take those long rides as group rides with some race simulation thrown in. 4 hour trainer ride? No.

2013-10-01 10:30 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I'm a fan of the long ride. Not in isolation of course, but combined with a steady mix of rides during the week. I typically do a 99.9-mile ride on Saturdays and ramp up the intensity the closer it gets to race season. IOW, start long and steady then increase the intensity up hills or on long stretches (like a TT simulation). Move from Z2 for the whole ride -> Z3 up hills -> Z4 up shorter hills -> Z5 up shorter hills -> Z4/Z5 or Z5/Z6 over/unders. At some point I start throwing in sprints at different spots (cresting a hill is a great place to practice). If you have someone to ride with, it's great but I mostly do mine solo.

A power meter, Strava, and music in one ear helps a lot with motivation and targets.
2013-10-03 5:12 AM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the replies everyone! This year has been my first for just cycling as I transitioned from triathlon (too much going on right now). I tend to train about 7-10 hours per week. I try to ride almost every day if I can. I have a very hilly commute to work (about 14 miles on way) so my goal for this off-season is to ride to work and back mon-fri if I can manage. Then I'll just do a long ride every weekend, that's why I was curious about how long is long enough.
So yeah, by next spring I hope to be putting in about 10-13 hours per week of riding. I always take a recovery week every 3-4 weeks where I only ride about half of average hours and that has really worked well for me. I have always done my long rides in a strict warmup - zone 2-cooldown pattern thinking that the whole purpose of a long ride is to build endurance. But maybe I am wrong. I also do (in moderation) lactate threshold rides, hills, and harder intervals, but I usually do those during shorter rides (30-90 minutes) so I recover faster.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3-4 hr long ride overkill for 1 hour races???? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie Trainer Training HR Questions

Started by Acee
Views: 1190 Posts: 3

2011-04-19 11:12 AM Acee

4 hour century -- in the 1980's...

Started by glenndenning06
Views: 1837 Posts: 5

2010-09-28 12:27 PM Sprint_DA

HR zones

Started by c130pilot
Views: 935 Posts: 2

2010-06-28 11:54 AM jcbolton

Landis might attempt hour record?

Started by dalessit
Views: 1463 Posts: 4

2010-01-05 11:42 PM kaqphin

Lance's HR....

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1173 Posts: 3

2005-07-04 10:32 PM zakk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I only had 6 weeks to prepare, so I pushed myself pretty hard while I was training. After my first figure competition, my trainer had me take a week off just to rest and recoup. Was this needed?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.