General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming and winter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-01 4:38 PM

Subject: swimming and winter
i'm debating about swimming this winter. I'm new to triathlons i've just done a small traithlon indoors last year. The thing is i hate swimming with the cold. do most of you swim all winter in freezing minnesota??

2013-10-01 5:00 PM
in reply to: newbie1975

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: swimming and winter

Originally posted by newbie1975 i'm debating about swimming this winter. I'm new to triathlons i've just done a small traithlon indoors last year. The thing is i hate swimming with the cold. do most of you swim all winter in freezing minnesota??

Well, yeah but indoors of course.    I go to LA Fitness and fortunately they keep the pool a nice temp all winter so it's not too much effort to get in and out.  Although the hallway between the pool and locker room can be a bit drafty!

I regularly took long breaks over the winter and then start back swimming more seriously around April.    I can't recommend this for successful swimming, but it's enough to get by.  Although, I had built up a fair swimming base before I started doing that.  If you're new to swimming or have any dreams of improving in the swim, you'll have to keep at it.

2013-10-02 9:29 AM

User image

Originally posted by newbie1975 i'm debating about swimming this winter. I'm new to triathlons i've just done a small traithlon indoors last year. The thing is i hate swimming with the cold. do most of you swim all winter in freezing minnesota??

I plan on swimming all winter through.  I'm also pretty new to the Tri world.  Because of that, I've got a lot of improvements to make in my swim stroke and what better time to drill than winter?

If you think that you'll have trouble with motivation, do what you can to improve that.  Work out in a group setting, set up little rewards for yourself, etc.  Maybe do a few of the indoor triathlons held during the winter if you do better with a race in front of you.  Figure out what's going to work for you.  

Will power only works for so long (in my experience).  So if you cannot find some enjoyment or other driving force, you'll have a hard time sticking to it.

2013-10-02 1:05 PM

Thanks yeah i dunno. going to think about it some more. I LOVE swimming but more so in warmer weather. In the winter i kind of like to hunker down and exercise either indoors at my house or dress for the weather and go skiing or show shoeing. With swimming it's so unmotivating. get into your winter jacket lug it around to the gym, get my hair wet. i would prefer to wash and dry my hair at my house but if i do that it also is more cold going out to the car and the drive home. more like freezing.

i looked into nearyby masters swim classes and the ones i looked at were at 6am which doesn't work for my schedule. I'm thinking i will wait till late winter/early spring when i'm bursting at the seams for warmer weather.

thank you! Your right if i'm not motivated it won't work. I think i will wait.
2013-10-02 1:58 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
I recently signed up for a Masters group so I could swim through the winter.
2013-10-02 4:39 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I know quite a few people that only get in if they hit the hot tub first. Personally I might go in the hot tuba after.

Most improvements in triathlon are little bit over long time of effort,so the winter is a great time for training

2013-10-03 5:40 AM

My motivation for swimming was up and down last winter. I think variety was one thing that helped me. Doing time trials of different lengths every so often was something that kept me motivated. Example: Once a month I would do a 1500 time trial, I would treat it like a race.
2013-10-07 5:56 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Masters group is a great way to go. Helps with the motivation and you can get some great tips on form and swim workouts.
2013-10-13 10:00 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

New user
Agreed - I signed up for a Masters swim class earlier this year, and it made a huge difference in my swim this past season. Finding a good coach is key as well - Peg Sorenson was the Masters swim coach at LifeTime Plymouth, but she's since left. I'm hitting the pool again 2x/week starting this week (well, that's the plan, at least).

The Tuesday evening open swim at Lake Nokomis was the BEST confidence booster for me, at least. Helped me overcome my fear of swimming in open water, and changed everything about my last two races.
2013-10-19 5:28 PM

I've decided to stick with swimming this winter. twice a week hopefully. i found a masters class that you can go once a week on saturday which will work better with my schedule. thanks everyone for your advice. i will just make sure to blow dry my hair instead of throwing it in a hat!
2013-10-29 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
I am planning on hitting the pool several times/week this off season. I have let my swimming fitness (the little that I ACTUALLY had) get away from me, so I am paying dearly to get it back, but nevertheless, I will get it back or it will be the death of me. I have been realtively invisible on BT for the past couple years as my love for racing took a back seat to way too many projects. Now that those are off my plate....it is time to get my groove back!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming and winter Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Winter swimming locations around Shorewood

Started by mahoneynyc
Views: 1891 Posts: 9

2010-01-14 5:34 PM mahoneynyc

Twin Cities and Surrounding Running Races During the Winter

Started by njk123
Views: 1240 Posts: 7

2008-09-12 8:53 AM njk123

Winter time training groups

Started by co_tri_guy
Views: 1256 Posts: 13

2007-11-15 10:03 AM leapdog

White Bear Winter Frolic

Started by TKDJen
Views: 743 Posts: 1

2007-01-29 3:52 PM TKDJen

winter/spring half-marathons

Started by autumn
Views: 907 Posts: 9

2006-10-29 3:07 PM constance
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their swim. The athlete must be able to swim at least 2,500 yards and at a pace of better than 2:15 per 100.

date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
My body thanks me for the extra sleep and added recovery.