General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming with High Schoolers...anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-01 7:48 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Swimming with High Schoolers...anyone?
So I have taken the plunge to try my best to make it from the front of the MOP to the actual FOP in the swim. I have found a local HS team to swim with this off-season, in hopes that getting my butt kicked by 14-18 year old kids each day will bring me closer to that pack in the race.

Anyone else ever swam with HS kids years after being out of high school?

This should be real interesting as those 1:15-1:20/100 swim times will not fly too long with them!

2013-10-01 8:01 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Swimming with High Schoolers...anyone?

Originally posted by bcagle25 So I have taken the plunge to try my best to make it from the front of the MOP to the actual FOP in the swim. I have found a local HS team to swim with this off-season, in hopes that getting my butt kicked by 14-18 year old kids each day will bring me closer to that pack in the race. Anyone else ever swam with HS kids years after being out of high school? This should be real interesting as those 1:15-1:20/100 swim times will not fly too long with them!

No way for me. I had a stroke eval from our local swim team coach yesterday and she kicked my rear end all over the pool. No way I could have a prayer of keeping up with those kids at my age. It sure did help my effort level and stroke to swim with someone better than me though. I wish I could do that for every swim!

What a great motivator though, good luck.

2013-10-01 8:23 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
How would I do with my 1:45's?
2013-10-01 8:40 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Fairly certain my ego would simply explode... It is bad enough swimming after the college team at my gym.
2013-10-01 8:43 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Pro
You could swim with my kid's club.....they are all 13-16 in his group.  Tonight's main set was 30 X 100 on 1:10. Laughing
2013-10-01 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by bcagle25

So I have taken the plunge to try my best to make it from the front of the MOP to the actual FOP in the swim. I have found a local HS team to swim with this off-season, in hopes that getting my butt kicked by 14-18 year old kids each day will bring me closer to that pack in the race.

This should be real interesting as those 1:15-1:20/100 swim times will not fly too long with them!

My masters group shares an olympic-size pool with the high school kids during the summer. Watching those kids inspires equal parts awe and hatred. Of course, I've only been swimming about a year, and my 2:00 hundreds mean I'm all kinds of slow, but watching those kids crush it . . . at best, I've left workouts thinking, in a couple of years, I might be 3/4 that good.

Then I watch the kids do butterfly . . . screw it, I'll never be half that good.

2013-10-01 8:56 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

I wish I knew of a local HS that would let me join! I'd have no problem with the slow lane.. Having somebody to chase makes me work harder.
2013-10-01 10:53 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Left Brain

You could swim with my kid's club.....they are all 13-16 in his group.  Tonight's main set was 30 X 100 on 1:10. Laughing

thats exactly what I'm hungry for!
2013-10-01 11:09 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain You could swim with my kid's club.....they are all 13-16 in his group.  Tonight's main set was 30 X 100 on 1:10. Laughing
thats exactly what I'm hungry for!

Yeah.....well good luck.  I'll hold off on posting the sets before and after the main set so you can keep your appetite up.  LOL

2013-10-02 12:47 AM

Yes I swam with my daughters high school team for six years. The coach invited me one day when I was occupying a lane by myself. Swimming with those kids will improve your times quickly if it does not kill you first. This was a great experience as swimming has changed dramatically since the early 1970's. Listen to what the coach is telling the kids and try to emulate his instructions. Stroke mechanics is huge and boy have the strokes changed. Never get in the way of the kids instruction, you are the side show and as such just listen.

Try to make all of the sets that the kids do. It is surprising how your body will respond after a few weeks of this. Practice is no longer how many yards you can knock out it is more intensity based. The conditioning you will gain from this is huge. Keep at it you will get better. You can be a great example for the kids on how to live your life. They will see you giving it your all at an "advanced" age. The suttle interactions with the kids will make your corner of the world a better place.

Make a goal. I had two goals each year. I always wanted to "qualify" for the state high school meet every year that I swam with the kids. Once I new the cut off times I would pick an event and then give it my all using the pace clock as a timer. I "made" the state team every year. The second was always to have a good time.
2013-10-02 12:50 AM
in reply to: SearayPaul

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SearayPaul Yes I swam with my daughters high school team for six years. The coach invited me one day when I was occupying a lane by myself. Swimming with those kids will improve your times quickly if it does not kill you first. This was a great experience as swimming has changed dramatically since the early 1970's. Listen to what the coach is telling the kids and try to emulate his instructions. Stroke mechanics is huge and boy have the strokes changed. Never get in the way of the kids instruction, you are the side show and as such just listen. Try to make all of the sets that the kids do. It is surprising how your body will respond after a few weeks of this. Practice is no longer how many yards you can knock out it is more intensity based. The conditioning you will gain from this is huge. Keep at it you will get better. You can be a great example for the kids on how to live your life. They will see you giving it your all at an "advanced" age. The suttle interactions with the kids will make your corner of the world a better place. Make a goal. I had two goals each year. I always wanted to "qualify" for the state high school meet every year that I swam with the kids. Once I new the cut off times I would pick an event and then give it my all using the pace clock as a timer. I "made" the state team every year. The second was always to have a good time.

Most excellent post of the day!!

2013-10-02 5:06 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, a few years ago I trained with two HS sisters who were being homeschooled and their parents put them in my master's swim class. Sometimes we had their brother as well, who was a collegiate swimmer. They were all very strong swimmers. I did their workouts (usually) but the coach would give me head starts. Occasionally if they were doing a lot of stroke or IM work, I would do a different distance set instead. We enjoyed suffering together, trash-talking, and doing our "handicap races". Most regular teams have a wide range of swimmers, so I'm guessing even a swimmer of modest abilities could find a suitable lane and work their way up.

I currently train in my own lane while some HS kids do their workout in others. (About 4-6 of them and 2-3 adults at that time.) I've noticed that while the best of them can kick my butt on speed, I have them beat on endurance. At least here, the kids almost never swim over 200m in competition. I came close to getting those HS girls on a 400m, and I'm pretty sure I could kick everyone's butt at 800m and up. If teachers counted, I would have our school record for the 400m by a good 30 seconds!
2013-10-02 6:28 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I swam with the local swim team 2x per week last winter.  I couldn't keep up with their fastest swimmers but I was able to hang on with the second group most times.  It was great motivation and really made me work hard.  I'm hoping to do so again this winter.
2013-10-02 7:30 AM
in reply to: SearayPaul

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by SearayPaul

Yes I swam with my daughters high school team for six years. The coach invited me one day when I was occupying a lane by myself. Swimming with those kids will improve your times quickly if it does not kill you first. This was a great experience as swimming has changed dramatically since the early 1970's. Listen to what the coach is telling the kids and try to emulate his instructions. Stroke mechanics is huge and boy have the strokes changed. Never get in the way of the kids instruction, you are the side show and as such just listen.

Try to make all of the sets that the kids do. It is surprising how your body will respond after a few weeks of this. Practice is no longer how many yards you can knock out it is more intensity based. The conditioning you will gain from this is huge. Keep at it you will get better. You can be a great example for the kids on how to live your life. They will see you giving it your all at an "advanced" age. The suttle interactions with the kids will make your corner of the world a better place.

Make a goal. I had two goals each year. I always wanted to "qualify" for the state high school meet every year that I swam with the kids. Once I new the cut off times I would pick an event and then give it my all using the pace clock as a timer. I "made" the state team every year. The second was always to have a good time.

Fabulous.

This is my dream. I take my ten year old to swim practice 3-4 nights per week and watch all of the kids crank out tough sets. It is an hour and a half and I have often wondered how I could get in the water with the 13-17 group. I am pretty sure that it would be frowned upon by the other parents and the swim team itself. I am 100% sure that my daughter would be mortified

Totally jealous of you (SeaRay Paul) and of BCagle for this opportunity. Great advice on making sure you don't interfere with the main point of the pactices, coaching kids.
2013-10-02 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
uhhh no thanks.  I'll simply enjoy getting my butt kicked by 65YO overweight women at my pool... that's about all the embarrassment I can take.
2013-10-02 7:40 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA

You could swim with my kid's club.....they are all 13-16 in his group.  Tonight's main set was 30 X 100 on 1:10.

I don't even know how to respond to this, other than saying that I kind of just looked at that set and laughed.

2013-10-02 8:02 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by SearayPaul Yes I swam with my daughters high school team for six years. The coach invited me one day when I was occupying a lane by myself. Swimming with those kids will improve your times quickly if it does not kill you first. This was a great experience as swimming has changed dramatically since the early 1970's. Listen to what the coach is telling the kids and try to emulate his instructions. Stroke mechanics is huge and boy have the strokes changed. Never get in the way of the kids instruction, you are the side show and as such just listen. Try to make all of the sets that the kids do. It is surprising how your body will respond after a few weeks of this. Practice is no longer how many yards you can knock out it is more intensity based. The conditioning you will gain from this is huge. Keep at it you will get better. You can be a great example for the kids on how to live your life. They will see you giving it your all at an "advanced" age. The suttle interactions with the kids will make your corner of the world a better place. Make a goal. I had two goals each year. I always wanted to "qualify" for the state high school meet every year that I swam with the kids. Once I new the cut off times I would pick an event and then give it my all using the pace clock as a timer. I "made" the state team every year. The second was always to have a good time.

Most excellent post of the day!!

Agreed. There are some kids teams that go right before the masters group I swim with. I'll often get there early just to watch the good swimmers and hear what the coaches have to say. Don't think I'm allowed to swim with them, but just being there absorbing what I can has helped out. My own practices have gone better when I'm able to do this even though I haven't actually gotten in the water with the kids.

2013-10-02 8:25 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida
I get to do the next best thing. I swim with my wife.

She was a high school and NCAA swimmer on a full scholarship. Even after decades not competing and giving birth to two kids, she can still kick my butt. Then, she makes it worse by dissecting every stroke, kick, and breath. The last thing that she says to me before a race is "swim fast." Even if I'm 1st out of the water, she still tell me that I should have gone out faster.
2013-10-02 8:34 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by axteraa I swam with the local swim team 2x per week last winter.  I couldn't keep up with their fastest swimmers but I was able to hang on with the second group most times.  It was great motivation and really made me work hard.  I'm hoping to do so again this winter.

When the 54min IM swimmer says he can't hang with the fastest kids, that just makes me cringe...

2013-10-02 8:35 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN

I am humbled enough by swimming with my local Masters group. I don't need further humiliation in the pool.
2013-10-02 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

At my pool half of the 20 25yd lanes are used by one of the local youth swim clubs when I swim in the afternoons.  I can't imagine trying to swim with those kids.  I wasn't nearly as fast as they are back when I was swimming competitively at age 15, so now at age 60 it's just a non-issue.

Last week I was doing a set of 100's at around 1:50 and while I was gasping for air at the wall between 100's, the 14 year old girls in the next lane were giggling about their boyfriends before heading out for another killer interval. Youth is a great thing.

Mark

2013-10-02 8:50 AM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

I'm not even sure how to swim a 100m in 1:10 let alone 30 of them. Like physically I can't visualize how different my stroke would have to be.
2013-10-02 8:59 AM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Pro

Originally posted by aliddle9876 I'm not even sure how to swim a 100m in 1:10 let alone 30 of them. Like physically I can't visualize how different my stroke would have to be.

Actually, they're hitting the wall in 1:00 to 1:03.....if you are like me with no swim background it's just crazy to watch.  And it's not 100M....it's yards during this part of the season....because 100M would just be toooo crazy. Laughing

2013-10-02 9:06 AM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
I would love to find a team like that to be able to swim with.  It would take be back to my glory days growing up swimming...not that I would be able to keep up at all but it would still be fin and a nice change of pace from swimming by myself.  Unfortunately my work schedule makes it difficult to just be able to find a masters group I could swim with.
2013-10-02 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Yes. At the local college where I swim, there are high school kids on teams that swim there at same time. Most if not all are much better swimmers than me. Triathlon has taught me many things- one is not to get down about someone else being faster than you. Women, girls, old men whoever, I just swim. I'm MOP too. I listen some and learn from their posted workouts what they're doing. It's fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming with High Schoolers...anyone? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Anyone here running aluminum "high end" wheels?

Started by nc452010
Views: 2150 Posts: 10

2010-05-22 10:53 PM gsmacleod

Anyone else work a high intensity job? Pages: 1 2

Started by Trailuser
Views: 2156 Posts: 33

2008-07-04 10:42 AM pudekcuf7

200 Mile run by High Schooler

Started by jbjboc
Views: 1092 Posts: 12

2007-01-21 7:14 PM jbjboc

Anyone else with "borderline" high cholesterol?

Started by brookeb
Views: 1576 Posts: 14

2005-04-25 9:25 AM autumn

Higher cadence versus higher gear Pages: 1 2

Started by huskyboy
Views: 2687 Posts: 40

2005-03-03 7:53 AM Deb_B
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.
date : March 4, 2009
author : nevergivin
comments : 5
Benefits of an underwater swim clinic to help correct your swimming stroke - plus a few swim tips to be mindful of.

date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.
date : March 6, 2007
author : gsmacleod
comments : 6
A comparison between two athletes and their results based on a high intensity vs a low intensity program.

date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.
date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.