General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disney training tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-01 9:54 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Disney training tips
Hello all,
Heading to Disney in a couple weeks when the kids are out of school. This will be our first visit to the park and we are all really excited about the trip. Only catch is IMFL is two weeks after, and was hoping to get some training in while there. We are staying in the Art of Animation.

Overall if I don't get training in, not a huge deal. Family first, especially for first disney trip, but any tips on park training would help.

2013-10-01 10:11 PM
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Subject: RE: Disney training tips
I've run around the hotels and had no issues. There are actually a lot of people running early in the morning. I was very surprised. Also if you can slip away, Clermont, FL is 20-30 minutes away and has a lot of good hills to ride. Google the Great floridian bike course. The race is 19, October so a week after you are there. I would bet many people will be riding the course. I have not swam while on vacation at Disney. The pool at art of animation is big enough to lap at the cars section. Just have to hit it when no kids are in it - early am. The Florida BT group is good about posting back answers also. Good luck and see you next year as I am also in for IMCHATT.
2013-10-05 8:10 PM
in reply to: kstater39

User image

Regular
Thanks for the tips. Hopefully we will have room that I can bring the bike and gear with us.
2013-10-06 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I have been to Disney a few times in the past few years.  We were just there in June and I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge which is in the Disney World Resort complex.  It's basically where the Florida 70.3 was located when it was still held at Disney.

There's a trail that links the Wilderness Lodge with the Ft. Wilderness campground.  You could start from your resort and run up World Drive to the Disney World Resort complex and run that course or you could drive up World Drive and park at one of the lots off Seven Seas Drive and run from there.  You'll have free parking access since you're staying on Disney property.  You won't be able to access the other resorts by car but you can run through the gate.  They just assume you're staying there and nobody will bother you.  Here is what it looks like: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/348249996

You could also run from the Seven Seas parking area and run through/around the Polynesian and Grand Floridian resorts.

There's also the two golf courses (Magnolia and Oak Trail) that are just to the west of the Seven Seas parking area.  You could always run the cart paths.

2013-10-06 8:54 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

I have been to Disney a few times in the past few years.  We were just there in June and I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge which is in the Disney World Resort complex.  It's basically where the Florida 70.3 was located when it was still held at Disney.

There's a trail that links the Wilderness Lodge with the Ft. Wilderness campground.  You could start from your resort and run up World Drive to the Disney World Resort complex and run that course or you could drive up World Drive and park at one of the lots off Seven Seas Drive and run from there.  You'll have free parking access since you're staying on Disney property.  You won't be able to access the other resorts by car but you can run through the gate.  They just assume you're staying there and nobody will bother you.  Here is what it looks like: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/348249996

You could also run from the Seven Seas parking area and run through/around the Polynesian and Grand Floridian resorts.

There's also the two golf courses (Magnolia and Oak Trail) that are just to the west of the Seven Seas parking area.  You could always run the cart paths.

It will be a running-centric focus week. Also, some of the pools are really great for OWS practice. Weird shapes and no lane lines. Just jump in and swim for a set amount of time. Early in the morning, before it is overrun with kids.
2013-10-07 9:06 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Regular
Another question:

Are all pools open to all guests....ie. if Im staying at the ARt of animation, can I just go over and swim at the swan? Its all disney owned right? Haven't called to check but it is only a mile apart, would be easy to run over there, swim, run back. Good workout.

2013-10-08 6:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by hornjs Another question: Are all pools open to all guests....ie. if Im staying at the ARt of animation, can I just go over and swim at the swan? Its all disney owned right? Haven't called to check but it is only a mile apart, would be easy to run over there, swim, run back. Good workout.

No.  Only guests of that particular hotel are allowed in that hotel's pool.

Also, the Swan and Dolphin are not owned by Disney despite being on Disney property. 

2013-10-08 7:52 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Regular

Originally posted by hornjs Another question: Are all pools open to all guests....ie. if Im staying at the ARt of animation, can I just go over and swim at the swan? Its all disney owned right? Haven't called to check but it is only a mile apart, would be easy to run over there, swim, run back. Good workout.

Also, the Swan and Dolphin are not owned by Disney despite being on Disney property. 

That stinks. Was counting on that Swan pool. It was nice and some weird distance like 32m if I remember correctly.
2013-10-09 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Originally posted by hornjs

That stinks. Was counting on that Swan pool. It was nice and some weird distance like 32m if I remember correctly.

That's not to say that you couldn't try sneaking into the pool.  I've seen them check and I've seen them not check.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disney training tips Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Disney Marathon 2 monts after IM?

Started by Jorgito22
Views: 1555 Posts: 11

2013-03-05 7:20 AM brown_dog_us

IMFL 70.3 at Disney through 2011

Started by cwsiii
Views: 1636 Posts: 5

2008-06-13 8:23 AM gremlin327

Training, Training Logs, Coaches, Over Training

Started by rmullen1
Views: 2610 Posts: 20

2008-02-04 12:56 PM infosteward

Bridging IMFL to Disney Marathon

Started by southwestmba
Views: 1079 Posts: 5

2006-11-19 5:38 AM trihardathena

Disney Results

Started by mrakes1
Views: 1000 Posts: 10

2006-05-23 1:49 PM BadgerIronMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2011
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 1
How to improve your bike split in a triathlon through careful planning and execution of your training schedule

date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.
date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.
date : September 19, 2004
author : adumey
comments : 0
I am not tough. I cried during the Lion King stampede, during Armageddon when Liv Tyler collapsed on the TV as her dad wished her farewell and, most embarrassingly, E.T.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
A lot of us don’t spend too much time worrying about stretching and strengthening exercises for our lower back.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.