General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more?
OptionResults
Run/Jog50 Votes - [40.32%]
Cycle63 Votes - [50.81%]
I enjoy both equally11 Votes - [8.87%]

2013-10-02 6:37 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more?
Swimming is my first sport and I love it above all the other disciplines. However, to the poll...I prefer running to cycling, which is a HUGE revelation to me. I used to hate running, but over the last few months I've learned to love the simplicity of it. As others have said, cycling is kind of a hastle and there is a lot of thinking and preparing involved.

2013-10-02 8:08 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Running.

Came to cyclyng via forced reasons (ie injury) and love the tech, the speed and the newness of it, but I've got to concentrate on the bike-even when I'm going easy. I could get killed out there! But, give me my sneaks, a scenic route and some time to clear my head and my endorphins rock me to another world...
2013-10-02 8:41 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N Cycling, and it's not even close. 

Same here. I really like the other two, but my enjoyment really follows bike performance. I've had great swims and runs in the same event, but was disappointed because the bike stunk. Also had bad swims & runs, but killed the bike and it was great.

2013-10-03 4:10 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Cycling Why? because it goes faster and hurts less (knees, hips). I hate running. Mind you, not a huge fan of cycling more than an hour, and doing lengths at the pool is really boring.

What am I doing here?

(fyi I know what I am doing here, my bad knee stops me from doing sports I find fun, which involve kicking (a ball or other people). I'll stick to this for a while, maybe it will grow on me )
2013-10-03 5:56 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
I was born to run! I enjoy cycling quite a bit too but something about running just makes me feel at home. I feel in control while running and you can't get that same feeling while on a bike 100% of the time like you can when running.

Just my .02 cents
2013-10-03 7:01 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
Teaneck, New Jersey
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Running.

It seems running is whatever I need it to be.  A hammerfest, chill run, trails, track, hills - all fits the mood, and is sooooo easy to go do.  It's much more meditative for me, even when I'm hammering on the track.

Cycling is great, and I do love it.  However, it's more involved by far and requires an alertness to avoid getting offed (at least on the crowded New England streets within 60 miles of a city).  I'm not able to lose myself as much on a bike ride, at least without subsequently being terrified!  

Maybe a nice ride through uninhabited mountains or a training block on Tenerife would change my perspective, but that's not how riding rolls 'round here.

Both rock.  Edge to running for me (even though I'm stronger on the bike).

Matt

x2 !

2013-10-03 7:30 AM
in reply to: htodman

Regular
Ottawa, ON
It used to be only biking but as I started to run 'more' to prep for a HM, I slowly got to enjoy running more. Before that I hated to go out for a run and always kept it to the bare minimum to survive a 5k run. But during this past summer, I slowly found the 'zen' mindset when running and since have enjoyed it. Running for me has a 'freedom' feeling. It is also so much more easier when it comes to logistics.

Simple, peaceful, hard at times but overall, makes me smile each time I am done with a run.

Cheers!
Minh
2013-10-03 8:53 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Coming from a running Background into triathlon , Its definitely running for me, 6 months into a Knee surgeons ordered Layoff for a year I can definitely say that I really really Miss my running, especially Now as I am starting to feel almost 100% most of the time. I like both Biking and swimming in that order but to run is to Live.
2013-10-03 10:41 AM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Utah
I started out as a runner and enjoy it. However, running lately doesn't seem to love me. I have been battling GI issues for the first time ever on any runs over 10 miles, and I have been battling an injury in my ankle on and off all year. With those two issues, my runs have been frustrating to say the least, and I have gravitated more towards cycling. I am finding I love my bike more and more and am looking more at bike specific events for next year.
2013-10-03 10:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Cycling, I love the speed, the training, the intesities, the human powered element about it, I love chasing cars, I love the singularity and the me with machine against nature. 2nd, I like swimming... that is a big thing for a person who learned to swim only in the last 2 years. Running, you can take it... it's boring.... I do it because it is part of the sport and I love the comeraderie and competition w/o that I'd really not do much running. Any injuries that I've had have been caused by running, albeit minor issues, right now I'm struggling with achelies tendonitis.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2013-10-03 10:54 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Why Do I Never Enjoy Running? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by klowman
Views: 6204 Posts: 80

2011-08-15 4:06 PM Atlantia

For those who enjoy running...BEWARE...!!!

Started by velorider62
Views: 1757 Posts: 13

2009-03-13 9:34 AM Ace5880

Don't take it Personally, Part Deaux Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by the bear
Views: 4276 Posts: 122

2008-02-29 12:31 AM karhooligan

Don't Take It Personally Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 3548 Posts: 46

2008-03-01 7:46 AM drchaya

Cycling training: am i doing it all wrong? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2932 Posts: 27

2005-08-09 10:12 AM Renee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : May 18, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 3
How to get faster and still keep your job and family
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : May 30, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
It is getting better, but I don't know if I should stop running completely until it is gone for good, or if some running is OK. I want it to heal as fast as possible.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
You ride hard enough that you are working but not so hard that you can’t do the same thing the next day. 700 km or 400 miles a week.