General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more?
OptionResults
Run/Jog50 Votes - [40.32%]
Cycle63 Votes - [50.81%]
I enjoy both equally11 Votes - [8.87%]

2013-10-02 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Subject: RE: Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more?
Originally posted by Brit Abroad

I agree. I LOVE swimming. I feel as accomplished after a mile swim, as I do after a 10+ mile run.

So far as this poll is concerned, running beats out cycling by a mile. Cycling is a massive hassle for me with all the preparation, and travel to cycle-worthy roads. If I can't get access to a car, a 4hr ride equals 7-8 hours of time committment. I wish it were different, and maybe some day it will, but not now.

I'm lucky to live in the suburbs, so I can just ride from my front door with very little to worry about cars. But, I'm still weary about traffic. I've been hit 5 times. One collision put me into a coma for 7 days. But, I still love to just ride. Be it hammering, clocking in miles, intervals, or just cruising with the kids. Even this morning while doing my morning run, I was really considering entering in an Aqua Bike. Just to not run.

This hatred of running has gotten me to enter a 1/2 marathon in December and I've been considering the Disney Dopey Challenge (5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon, and full marathon in one four-day weekend). How's the phrase go, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer?"

Have I mentioned how much I don't like to run?

Edited by vertseven 2013-10-02 8:45 AM

2013-10-02 8:49 AM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Agree on swimming, in that I've gone from being meh to really loving OWS - it took a summer swimming in ponds and the ocean to get me there.  I haven't been in the pool since the very beginning of May, although it's coming...

So, a qualifier - I love OWS.  The pool?  Still meh.

Not sure of the hierarchy when you mix them all in.  Kinda depends on the day, but running has an edge of the other two.  Kinda love it all, which is (just maybe) why I like triathlon.  Wink

Matt

2013-10-02 8:59 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Cycling, and it's not even close.  I'm doing a lot of running right now to improve my run off the bike, but I can't say enough positive things about cycling.  It's easier on the body, you can take in nutrition and carry water easier, you go faster and farther than you can via running.
2013-10-02 9:08 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle
Running. By far. Cycling can be very functional and I do enjoy it but it doesn't offer me the same peace running does. Oh, and you can't but run speed
2013-10-02 9:23 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed Running. By far. Cycling can be very functional and I do enjoy it but it doesn't offer me the same peace running does. Oh, and you can't but run speed

Ah, the infamous butt-run.  AKA pace booty - it's really why I like running bestLaughing

2013-10-02 9:32 AM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by LPJmom

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by TriToy No question cycling, however I appreciate the simplicity of running - grab shoes and go.

This

x2 !

I will be keeping my eyes open for people out running naked - wearing nothing but their Nikes and a smile! :-)

Have s/b/r for years, my favorites have changed. I think swimming is now my favorite. If it's 40 degrees outside then I like running over biking. If it is 95 degrees, then I prefer biking. If I'm on travel in a new city, running. If I'm training with friends, biking.

2013-10-02 9:42 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

I gotta go with Cycling.  The geek in me loves all of the techiness of the gear and all of the measurements that can be taken.  I also like being able to faster and longer.  I get way more route options on my bike than I do when I run.  It also doesn't take the same toll on my overweight body that running does.

We'll see if I change my tune at the end of next season when I'm (hopefully) down near my ideal racing weight.

2013-10-02 9:59 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Asalzwed Running. By far. Cycling can be very functional and I do enjoy it but it doesn't offer me the same peace running does. Oh, and you can't but run speed

Ah, the infamous butt-run.  AKA pace booty - it's really why I like running bestLaughing

I knew you would understand
2013-10-02 10:10 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I knew you would understand

That's no good if you're ahead of all the womens!

2013-10-02 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Running, by far.  I love to run.  I have to watch myself because when time gets tight, I would skip all but run workouts without noticing.

Running puts me in the zone, the runner's high. I get running and I run like a machine.  I pick the pace and go. I don't have to pay attention as much as cycling (note my recent crash and collarbone break!) and it's non-boring like pool swimming. 

I've ran all over the world, you just need a shoes and some appropriate clothes.  I've ran along the Damrak in Amsterdam.  10 miles in Paris from Notre Dame to Eiffel Tower along the Sine.  In Cape Town along the waterfront promenade south of the V&A Waterfront, with a spectacular view of Table Mountain.  Dozens of times around the Central Park loop, the Mall in DC, the sand beach in Ocean Beach, San Diego to La Jolla.  Maui, Kauai, Oahu. Little towns and big cities. I always bring my running gear.

2013-10-02 11:00 AM

I much prefer cycling outdoors. So beautiful, so much scenery where I live. It's epic.

That said, given the hassle of riding outdoors (gear, weather, darkness, etc.) as well as the required impact-training to maintain running form, I would immediately give up cycling as opposed to running, as I could get back into cycling within 1 week of training as long as I'm in good running form, whereas it would take weeks (or months) to do the same if I maintained cycling but let the running go for a long time.

2013-10-02 11:21 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Running hands down.  I have too many neck and hip issues to enjoy biking.  Luckily for me, the neck issue doesn't affect the running at all, and the hip issue is minimized running with proper footwear.  It's actually a lot easier to correct for an internally rotated hip with running than with biking.

Biking is just something I feel I have to do to reach certain tri goals.  Outside of training for those particular goals I don't ride at all.

2013-10-02 12:45 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Bike for sure!  Swim is a relatively close second....run is a very distant third.  I'd like to like the run, but I'm just so bad at it and it hurts.  I definitely don't get the runner's high.

Also, for those who say running is more convenient and easier to do, I find that riding on the trainer is at least as convenient and easy to do.  Plus, I guess I get the equivalent to a runner's high on the bike....on the trainer or outdoors, short or long.

2013-10-02 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I much prefer cycling to running. The fact that I have ongoing injury issues whenever I try to increase my running volume or distance has something to do with it, but even without the injuries, I prefer to be on my bike than pounding the pavement.
2013-10-02 1:11 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Master
PNW
Shockingly to me, they are pretty damn equal. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

In the summer, I much prefer biking but in the winter, it's running for sure (it rains a lot here!). Biking is more 'fun' but running is easier and more peaceful to me (most of the time). Biking is more social if I'm in the mood. Running is more solitary if that's more my mood. Running I can do when I travel, biking is easier on my body.

I'm a WAY better cyclist than a runner, but honestly, I enjoy them equally as much these days.
2013-10-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: DanielG

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I was a "runner" since I was in Elementary school and still enjoy running.  I do like cycling, except the problem with an occasional saddle sore.

2013-10-02 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
No doubt about it. I love running like no other. I live for that runner's high. Unfortunetly running does not love me back. I am starting to really enjoy the bike though and plan on being more bike focused when I get through my current injuries. My hubby is an avid cyclist and we enjoy the occasional ride together. It's usually more of an easy recovery ride for him though. I would love to get my cycling fitness up so that we could ride more together. Also, I am learning to really like swimming. I love that I can go to the pool and push my body hard without hurting myself. I can push distance and speed without issue. In a nutshell, I loved running first but there is room for others. :-D
2013-10-02 2:43 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by brucemorgan

Running, by far.  I love to run.  I have to watch myself because when time gets tight, I would skip all but run workouts without noticing.

Running puts me in the zone, the runner's high. I get running and I run like a machine.  I pick the pace and go. I don't have to pay attention as much as cycling (note my recent crash and collarbone break!) and it's non-boring like pool swimming. 

I've ran all over the world, you just need a shoes and some appropriate clothes.  I've ran along the Damrak in Amsterdam.  10 miles in Paris from Notre Dame to Eiffel Tower along the Sine.  In Cape Town along the waterfront promenade south of the V&A Waterfront, with a spectacular view of Table Mountain.  Dozens of times around the Central Park loop, the Mall in DC, the sand beach in Ocean Beach, San Diego to La Jolla.  Maui, Kauai, Oahu. Little towns and big cities. I always bring my running gear.

This exactly. One of the best ways to see a city if you are on business travel and to explore your neighborhood locally.
2013-10-02 2:47 PM

User image

Cycling, and it's not even close. 
2013-10-02 3:18 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Cycling. So much so, that I quit running years ago.

Bike touring is awesome! You can see so much while on a bike.

2013-10-02 3:22 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I go through moods.  There will be times I just want to get into the water every day.  Or hit the road with my running shoes.  Or days when I bike and I ask myself "why I'm wasting my time with anything else?"...  Especially when I MTB - I wonder why I'm not doing it every day.

But on average cycling>running>pool swimming.

If it's OWS, I take that over running.

2013-10-02 3:23 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

over a barrier
BIKES!

Probably why I have 5.

Cyclocross, Mountain, and Road in that order.
2013-10-02 6:01 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Running for sure. I started as a runner, and that's really still my passion.

I actually still don't love cycling because of traffic, but I do really enjoy spinning.
2013-10-02 6:15 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I actually have grown to really enjoy running, despite still not being all that good at it.

That said, I could do a time trial every day for the rest of my life and not be bored with it or wake up dreading it. TT/Tri bikes also give me a vent for me to geek out on something other than comic books and video games.
2013-10-02 6:26 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Like to ride, love to run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you personally enjoy running or cycling more? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Why Do I Never Enjoy Running? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by klowman
Views: 6192 Posts: 80

2011-08-15 4:06 PM Atlantia

For those who enjoy running...BEWARE...!!!

Started by velorider62
Views: 1755 Posts: 13

2009-03-13 9:34 AM Ace5880

Don't take it Personally, Part Deaux Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by the bear
Views: 4262 Posts: 122

2008-02-29 12:31 AM karhooligan

Don't Take It Personally Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 3532 Posts: 46

2008-03-01 7:46 AM drchaya

Cycling training: am i doing it all wrong? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2925 Posts: 27

2005-08-09 10:12 AM Renee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : May 18, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 3
How to get faster and still keep your job and family
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : May 30, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
It is getting better, but I don't know if I should stop running completely until it is gone for good, or if some running is OK. I want it to heal as fast as possible.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
You ride hard enough that you are working but not so hard that you can’t do the same thing the next day. 700 km or 400 miles a week.