Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Thinking about homeschool Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-02 12:41 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Thinking about homeschool

And wondering how do you know? My daughter is 5, just started kindergarten. She has already been tagged for Title 1 services for math. I did not see or hear one report from her teacher up to this point that she has been having any trouble. I just received a generic form letter from the Principal. I sent her teacher an email asking what she had trouble with on the test. Teacher responded that all of her class work is fine. The test the kids took was timed and my daughter was just a little slower answering the questions than the other kids in her class. She also commented that my daughter sometimes loses focus but once she is reminded she will stay on track. We see this same thing at home.

A traditional public school education just does not feel right to me for her. I am a certified teacher and currently a stay at home mom. I can do this myself. She won't have the distractions of 20 other kids in her class, she will get one on one and more opportunities for hands on learning. I've been in the classroom with 20 kids, I know first hand how much time is wasted correcting behaviors. I know kids do not all learn the same way. The only papers I see come home are worksheets and color papers. There are so many other ways to learn than sitting at a table coloring a worksheet.

But, I realize I am emotional at the moment and don't want to make any rash decisions. It's not exactly comforting to hear your 5 year old is already behind in the 1st quarter of Kindergarten! We have the added complication of my husband being the Superintendent. Right now she goes to work with Daddy a couple of times a week, she would miss out on that. And I worry about the social aspect. I think she would miss being around all the other children.

I don't know, raising kids is complicated.

Love to hear your experiences.

2013-10-02 12:54 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Subject: RE: Thinking about homeschool
I've got a handful of friends who have either just moved their kids to public schools, college or still are homeschooling. I've asked them for links and whatnot that have helped them.

If/when I get responses I'll be more than happy to post 'em.

2013-10-02 1:01 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I know someone with a special needs child but for them, it was important they stay socially involved in the school system.  But for that to work, they have to put in a lot of extra time/work at home to allow them to keep up in regular school.

Maybe it's a combination of regular school and home-school (or just additional time helping them with homework and studies).  I wont' divulge the problem, but some of the symptoms are similar.  They can figure it out, just takes them a bit longer.  So they drill and work at it at home more than your average student to speed them up.

2013-10-02 1:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Originally posted by trigal38

And wondering how do you know? My daughter is 5, just started kindergarten. She has already been tagged for Title 1 services for math. I did not see or hear one report from her teacher up to this point that she has been having any trouble. I just received a generic form letter from the Principal. I sent her teacher an email asking what she had trouble with on the test. Teacher responded that all of her class work is fine. The test the kids took was timed and my daughter was just a little slower answering the questions than the other kids in her class. She also commented that my daughter sometimes loses focus but once she is reminded she will stay on track. We see this same thing at home.

A traditional public school education just does not feel right to me for her. I am a certified teacher and currently a stay at home mom. I can do this myself. She won't have the distractions of 20 other kids in her class, she will get one on one and more opportunities for hands on learning. I've been in the classroom with 20 kids, I know first hand how much time is wasted correcting behaviors. I know kids do not all learn the same way. The only papers I see come home are worksheets and color papers. There are so many other ways to learn than sitting at a table coloring a worksheet.

But, I realize I am emotional at the moment and don't want to make any rash decisions. It's not exactly comforting to hear your 5 year old is already behind in the 1st quarter of Kindergarten! We have the added complication of my husband being the Superintendent. Right now she goes to work with Daddy a couple of times a week, she would miss out on that. And I worry about the social aspect. I think she would miss being around all the other children.

I don't know, raising kids is complicated.

Love to hear your experiences.

I can't say much about home schooling, but having a kid who did require an IEP, I can tell you success or failure is going to be in your hands. First, if there is anything organic, either physical or psychological, getting a proper diagnosis is hard. It took us until he was 8 to get an accurate assessment. The stock answer to everything was ADHD, which was entirely incorrect. He is also very intelligent and that actually exacerbated some of the problems. He had a lot of socialization issues.

We tried private school, it was worse. His elementary school days were tough. It was better in middle school, but we went through a lot of fights to obtain services. He was bright and driven enough to be accepted at a magnet high school, and that was a different world. Smaller classes, highly motivated teachers, and a school counselor who loved him and had an open door policy. He's in his last year of college now, finishing in 3 years, and hoping to go to graduate school. Not to say everything is rosy, but it's much better.

I'm in favor of public education, just wanted you to be aware that you will probably work just as hard advocating for your kid as you would if they were home schooled.

eta: shoot me any questions you might have. Some I prefer not to answer in public.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-10-02 1:14 PM
2013-10-02 1:23 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I was home schooled my whole life, no big deal. I interacted just fine socially, had all the friends I wanted, and I easily got into the college of my choice and did very well there. I also had a lot more time to pursue what I wanted to do and I was able to have a job that allowed me to pay for my hobbies and my first car.

My high school girl friend worked it out so I could go to one day of high school with her, just to see what it was like. I couldn't believe what a huge waste of time it was. We spent more time talking about how we were supposed to do our homework later than anything else. I kept saying, why don't we just do this now instead of getting instructions for an hour, then we don't have to do it at home later, oh no, that's not allowed. There was one class where there was an actual lecture, the rest was a total waste. I was able to finish my school work by noon every day and then had time to go to work, pursue my hobbies, socialize, etc.

All you really need to get into college is a good SAT/ACT score and a GED, there are standard tests you can take every year or every other year like I did to make sure you are on track. If you are worried about the social aspect there are ways around that. They can still play sports at a school, there are still swim teams to join. I could have joined the band or orchestra at the local high school if I wanted. I had the option but chose to stay out of public high school. My two younger sisters were home schooled then during high school they decided to take a few classes at the local high school, I think they took 2-4 classes a semester, some just cause they were interested and some because they were struggling and thought it might help. My older sister was home schooled all along and she went on to a doctorate with no problems. One last note on the social part (as that seems to be a big anti-home school argument), no one that I went to college with knew or would believe when told that I was home schooled. Sure there are some weird home schoolers, but that is more a product of the family atmosphere or lifestyle and is not caused solely by home schooling. 

So, if you want to home school your kid because you think it is the best option for them, go ahead, it works great IME and opens up a lot of opportunities. My wife was public schooled and she is of the opinion that we either find a charter school we like or we will home school kids if/when we have them. 

2013-10-02 1:25 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'm very sorry to hear that you're struggling with this.  Hugs.

My husband and I are both certified teachers.  We have decided to homeschool our kids.  We have an 8, almost 7 and 3 yo.  They have never been in school, so I can't speak to what that would have been like for them, but I'd be happy to try to field any questions you might have about homeschooling, here or via PM :)

2013-10-02 1:29 PM

User image

Queen BTich
My cousin (neighbor) home schools her 3 children. All well rounded, functional kids who have outside activities for socialization.

The biggest reaosn my cousin said was, "I can do a better job than someone I don't know who is distracted by 20-30 other kids, teaching what is mandated to teach." All her kids are ahead of their peers.

Her oldest went to school one year to try it out, in middle school. She was tested 2 grades ahead but the school would only let her advance one grade. So, she went. She sat BORED most of the year. Would do her assignment and sit there. She hated it. Not to mention the routine of getting up at a certain time to be dressed and out the door, etc. They stay in their pajamas all day if they want. They take play breaks. They still finish well before 3p.

After seeing it work for her, if I have/had children, it wouldn't even be an option for me.

It also sounds like you kind of have your mind made up Wink

Edited: our state also has a new online homeschool program. 2 of her 3 are enrolled. The state PAYS her a stipend, pays for their computers and sends the books. They do the readings and assignments. You might want to research that for the future. For them, the earliest grade that is an option is 5th.

Edited by Comet 2013-10-02 1:31 PM
2013-10-02 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
I don't have anything bad to say about homeschooling. My neighbor did it with her kids, and they're two of the smartest, most respectful, and popular kids you'll ever meet. If you decide it's for you, then go for it. It helps if your city has a strong home schooling community to turn to like St Louis (byproduct of horrible public schools I guess). But don't base your decision purely on a standardized test given to kindergarteners. 5 is still way too young to be saying a kid is lagging. I have one in 1st grade and one in kg. One of them is great at math and reading, can't draw for chit or think outside the box. His little brother is taking longer to get the reading figured out, but has quite the little artistic side to him. Plays the piano, sings, and draws beautifully. The kid is creative. I'm not worried about either one yet, they're developing different skills at different paces. In a couple years, I'll start to be more concerned with their standardized test scores. You know your daughter better than the test does. Are you concerned with where she's at? That'll tell you what you should do.
2013-10-02 4:25 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

I have some cousins who home-school.

They grew up on a fundamentalist Christian commune though, and none have ever had any traditional education.  Now they're off the commune, but still keeping many of the same values they were instilled with.  It'll be interesting to see how their kids develop as they grow into young adulthood.

2013-10-02 6:34 PM

Expert
Several members of my family, who are teachers, home schooled their kids. I sort of ridiculed it, and thought they were doing a great disservice to their children (was expecting them to have life-long problems). Fast forward... the kids went to public HS, and did great...they went on to college and did great! So now I question why a stay-at-home mom, which teaching credentials, wouldn't home school their children. My family never loses any opportunity to remind me how wrong I was (since it was probably the first time ever)

2013-10-02 6:44 PM

Expert
One other thing for the OP. We were told our daughter was not doing well in kindergarten also (lacked maturity). We happened to move the next year and started her again in kindergarten at the new school. It wasn't until about the fifth grade that she started doing well, then she did great.

I thought about how it felt to be told your child is not doing well in kindergarten...it was one of the thoughts in my head as she was crossing the stage and being handed her diploma from Purdue University.

2013-10-02 9:15 PM
in reply to: vonschnapps

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by vonschnapps Several members of my family, who are teachers, home schooled their kids. I sort of ridiculed it, and thought they were doing a great disservice to their children (was expecting them to have life-long problems). Fast forward... the kids went to public HS, and did great...they went on to college and did great! So now I question why a stay-at-home mom, which teaching credentials, wouldn't home school their children. My family never loses any opportunity to remind me how wrong I was (since it was probably the first time ever)

If it were only my decision it would be a no brainer but hubby has a vested interest more than most in the school due to his job.

2013-10-02 9:20 PM
in reply to: vonschnapps

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by vonschnapps One other thing for the OP. We were told our daughter was not doing well in kindergarten also (lacked maturity). We happened to move the next year and started her again in kindergarten at the new school. It wasn't until about the fifth grade that she started doing well, then she did great. I thought about how it felt to be told your child is not doing well in kindergarten...it was one of the thoughts in my head as she was crossing the stage and being handed her diploma from Purdue University.

Just got a lump in my throat at that one.

Yes, that is what I am thinking - she is immature. I kind of wish we would have sent her to another year of preschool. She says every day how she wishes she was still a baby!

2013-10-02 11:05 PM

Expert

Originally posted by vonschnapps Several members of my family, who are teachers, home schooled their kids. I sort of ridiculed it, and thought they were doing a great disservice to their children (was expecting them to have life-long problems). Fast forward... the kids went to public HS, and did great...they went on to college and did great! So now I question why a stay-at-home mom, which teaching credentials, wouldn't home school their children. My family never loses any opportunity to remind me how wrong I was (since it was probably the first time ever)

If it were only my decision it would be a no brainer but hubby has a vested interest more than most in the school due to his job.

Well you may be in the unique situation to do both; public school and home school. No one really has to know that you are doing extra home schooling. If you start now, your daughter may come to accept the additional home schooling as just the way things are (and what 5 year old doesn't want more 'mommy and me' time). It would also allow you to test out your feelings about home schooling. Actually, don't even call it home schooling. Call it something like...Directed Primary Educational Enhancement. Everyone will think it's some new educational experiment that your husband came up with!

2013-10-03 6:31 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by vonschnapps One other thing for the OP. We were told our daughter was not doing well in kindergarten also (lacked maturity). We happened to move the next year and started her again in kindergarten at the new school. It wasn't until about the fifth grade that she started doing well, then she did great. I thought about how it felt to be told your child is not doing well in kindergarten...it was one of the thoughts in my head as she was crossing the stage and being handed her diploma from Purdue University.

Just got a lump in my throat at that one.

Yes, that is what I am thinking - she is immature. I kind of wish we would have sent her to another year of preschool. She says every day how she wishes she was still a baby!

Meh.  She's in Kindergarten!!  If she's still not doing well at the end of this school year... send her to another year of Kindergarten.  

Don't over think this one.  You're only 3 months into this school year.  It's good for kids to struggle a little bit, as long as she's not ending up in a blubbering, whiny heap at the end of every day due to frustration.    It is HARD to watch your kid struggle... but if they keep moving forward, they're better for it, IMHO.

As long as her teacher is willing to work with you and her to keep her moving forward, I'd keep her in there.  If the issue really is "distraction" then it's better to leave her in that environment and let her learn how to deal with it (again, as long as she's not so frustrated by the experience that its really more harm than good) than to remove her entirely where she'll do better academically, but maybe not so well in learning the skills she'll need for interacting in large groups. 

2013-10-03 10:11 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

NC
Originally posted by moondawg14

Don't over think this one.  You're only 3 months into this school year. 

I agree with this. If you are otherwise happy with the school, let this run its course a bit. Our second grade son told us a few weeks back that he wasn't in the highest reading group in his class. We know he is a pretty good reader. We asked the teacher and it turns out that she just hadn't had time to evaluate him yet - apparently it takes about two days per student. So, I wouldn't let the results of one test (especially in kindergarten) be determinative.

2013-10-03 10:12 AM

User image

NC

She says every day how she wishes she was still a baby!

All the more reason to keep her around other kids.

2013-10-03 10:30 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Just for the record, being homeschooled doesn't mean you're not around other kids.  It's a common misconception.
2013-10-03 10:32 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

We are one of the few families we know at our church that have our kids in public schools. Home schooling is a big deal around Memphis. Personally, I know I would suck as a home school teacher and my kids would not be better off.

Both of my boys take "special ed" classes, but they consider advance classes to be special education classes, which I found wierd when the letter came home saying my kids were going to be in special ed classes!

Overall we are happy with the public school my kids are in. Luckily, my wife is able to be really involved at thier school, so she is there alot.

Personally, a kindergartener that takes to long to do a test would not be a concern for me. A 6th grader, maybe, but not kindergarten

Edited by jford2309 2013-10-03 10:34 AM
2013-10-03 10:45 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

NC
Originally posted by switch

Just for the record, being homeschooled doesn't mean you're not around other kids.  It's a common misconception.

Goats don't count.

2013-10-03 10:57 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by switch Just for the record, being homeschooled doesn't mean you're not around other kids.  It's a common misconception.
Goats don't count.

You seem to have taken a shine to them.

2013-10-03 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my mom recently when I asked her about how my niece is doing in kindergarten.  My mom shared that Anna was still getting used to it, just like my sister who was always "slow to catch on."   I remember my sister as being smart, good grades, etc, but what she meant was that when she was little it took her a while to settle into going to school.  This happened for many years in elementary school until she matured enough.  I had no idea and it had no long term impact.

So, that sounds like it's fairly common.    Just an anecdote.

Good luck with whatever you do!

2013-10-03 2:46 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
If you homeschool don't worry about the socializing aspect. That's an old wives tale.
You actually have more time as a homeschooler to get your kids out socializing at museums, parks, church functions, libraries, etc.

BTW we homeschool 5 kids.

Oh and if you want to see unsocialized weirdos, just go to a public school lunch room...ouch!
2013-10-03 2:48 PM

User image

My sister homeschooled her three kids. They're grown now and they are all of them weird. I'm sorry but its true. Now in her case they homeschooled because they are way way religious and were trying to protect their kids from something called secular humanism which I think means "anything fun that involves other children".

On the other hand, I had a friend in high school whose sister was being homeschooled because she was a violin prodigy. She was a little uncomfortable around kids her own age too though.

I'm not helping here I realize it. She seems awfully young to get slapped with a label.
2013-10-03 2:55 PM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by switch Just for the record, being homeschooled doesn't mean you're not around other kids.  It's a common misconception.

Just to clarify from my perspective I just meant that she looks forward to being around all her friends all the time if that makes sense. Our area has a very big home school group with lots of social activities planned at the library, field trips, and sports at the Y which I'm actually going to help teach starting next week.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Thinking about homeschool Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Homeschool resources

Started by r1237h
Views: 912 Posts: 4

2011-03-14 9:39 PM r1237h

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are right"... Pages: 1 2

Started by gearboy
Views: 2550 Posts: 28

2010-10-22 6:48 PM RiverRat50

Think taxes are higher than ever? Think again. Pages: 1 2

Started by Tripolar
Views: 2584 Posts: 32

2010-05-13 11:35 AM crazyyella

What I think I think regarding VTech and guns...

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 799 Posts: 18

2007-04-19 7:22 AM Birkierunner

Thought I was the only one...

Started by joeinco
Views: 812 Posts: 2

2005-03-04 4:50 PM harmony