General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMan Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MightyMan Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Montauk, New York
United States
Event Power
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 28m 33s
Overall Rank = 194/265
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was one of the hardest training periods I can remember doing. I really was on the verge of over training I had all the classic signs - inability to sleep, irritable and over all lack of enthusiasm for what I was doing. I did miss a few short training sessions in order to save up for the longer sessions. I have a thyroid condition and even though I have blood work done every 3 months I felt for some reason this year I just wasn't the same. I'm up a little in weight and never dropped any weight even with all the training - I felt that really hurt me this year. About 3 weeks ago I discussed my concerns with my doctor and she prescribed new medication for me. We thought it would be best to wait until the race to change it. I hope it works! Interestingly she also does tri's.
Event warmup:

It's really hard to warm up for this one. Getting into the water is tough to do before this race. Normally I would try and get in a swim to acclimate to the water and get my blood flowing but it didn't happen.
Swim
  • 45m 21s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

I changed up my stroke a little this year. While I didn't see any real increase in speed I did feel much stronger than last year. I had no real issue with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Really for me it was a good swim. I think my taper was well executed and I felt really strong in the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Placed 58th in transition - hey I'm slow so I can make up time here!
Bike
  • 3h 20m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really strong on the bike although I'm a bit disappointed in my time. I felt much better on the second lap and I felt like I was going faster than my time really was. My bike preformed really well, although once I had an issue shifting going up hill. This is my biggest pet peeve with my bike. Shifting can be a little iffy at times. Cheap shimano components. I do need to upgrade some day.
What would you do differently?:

For next year I'm going to not take the spare water bottle and just grab the extra one at the water hand off.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Placed 69th - it was a really smooth transition.
Run
  • 2h 19m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to run the entire first lap which I was able to do. My second mini goal was to run to murder hill. I started up the hill and had to walk part of it. Like I told my friends I was 65 miles into it and the hills finally did me in. I did the first lap in 1:08.

There was a point for about a 1/4 mile that I just ran and felt like I was barely touching the ground. It was like I wasn't even running. I thought to myself this must be what the ultra runners feel like because there would be no way anyone would want to run 100 miles feeling like I did when I hit murder hill.

Once I got the the turn around it's mostly down hill and flat. I hit the 10.5 mile sign and never stopped till I crossed the finish line. The funny thing was, I just wanted to be done. The thought that I was less than a 5K away from the finish line was all I needed in order to be done.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

In thinking back on the race it was almost benign. I didn't have to over come any great struggle or bad luck it was just a beautiful day for a race. Brian Hannah used to tell to me that I needed to also enjoy the race. Every chance I had I enjoyed the view even if I legs felt like they were on fire at times.

I was slightly off my pace but I pushed pretty hard and considering my overall feeling about my weight & training before the race I feel I did pretty well.

Event comments:

I love this race and I love this distance.

Last updated: 2013-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:21 | 2112 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 191/265
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: out and back - simple
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:20:15 | 56 miles | 16.78 mile/hr
Overall: 189/265
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The scenic bike course is two 28 mile laps with rolling hills and beautiful ocean and bay views. It has 2200 feet of total elevation gain.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:19:00 | 13.1 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 194/265
Course: The run is two laps on a challenging hilly 6.55 mile course with 806 feet of total elevation gain. The two lap course is quite challenging; after a rolling 3 miles, you hit "Murder Hill" followed by two other challenging climbs and the "Pits".
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-02 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: MightyMan Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2013-10-03 7:10 AM
in reply to: #4869454

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: MightyMan Half Iron Distance Triathlon
Great race, Adam!  When you are fortunate to do this long enough, you have good seasons and not so good seasons.  Like you seem to be having, this is also one of my down years.   You overcame a lot just to get to the start line, and got to enjoy your race.  Anytime you can put together a solid effort at 70.3 is a good day. You did well, and didn't run into the bad luck you had at a previous race - I remember that report, and it sounds like this was a MUCH better day.    We'll both put in the effort to drop some weight over the winter, and come back stronger next year. Great job, and take a little time to rest and recover before getting back into it full strength!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMan Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

MightyMan Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by strikyr
Views: 1779 Posts: 9

2012-10-02 7:08 PM abergdol

Started by acv
Views: 1484 Posts: 9

2012-10-02 1:15 PM acv

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1955 Posts: 3

2012-10-02 11:02 AM strikyr

MightyMan Half Iron Triathlon

Started by evb4mvp
Views: 1199 Posts: 1

2011-09-14 9:40 PM evb4mvp

MightyMan Half Iron Triathlon

Started by rmiani
Views: 1340 Posts: 1

2010-10-06 1:52 PM rmiani
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.