United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 36m 16s
Overall Rank = 952/3341
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 69/202
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00. Ate a Nature Valley Bar and banana and drank a G2 on the way to set up transistion. Parked behind Broad Street Ministry, located at the intersection of Sibley Road and Broad Street (Great spot!) Bike was already in tranisition, so I brought everything with me in a book bag to transition. Got to transition and realized I left my water bottles in the car. Note to self: There is a water fill station located in transition, so I don't have to worry about bringing a bunch of water in bottles to fill up with. Finally forced myself to stop staring at my transition set up and get on a bus to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Not much warmup. Spent much of the morning hanging out with friends and the wifey. I was actually a little chilly, so I need to remember a hoody or pullover for next year.
Swim
  • 25m 3s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim. They said the current was strong, so they had us start from the dock instead of wading in the water as in years past. Went really well. My plan was to head out strong to get away from the hustle and bustle. It went well. I couldn't keep up with the lead pack, but I found a strong couple of folks and we kept a good pace. I only ran into one person from an earlier wave, and was able to spot most other folks. Overall it went well. However, I did cramp in my hamstrings coming out of the water. I don't know what went wrong. I have never cramped coming out of the water. I did try to kick more in the last 200 yards in an effort to get my legs warmed up, but that my have had a negative side effect.
What would you do differently?:

Not really much. Kicking in the last 200 yards may have played into the cramps. I was very pleased with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 20s
Comments:

I had a difficult time getting my wetsuit unzipped. Not quite sure what happened here. I was able to get it before I got to the wetsuit strippers. Wet suit strippers are awesome! I took advice from previous race reports and found one of the "bigger" girls... Needless to say she didn't have any problems! I took my time.

Act with more of a sense of urgency.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt decent on the bike. My hamstrings were tight from the start. I stood up multiple times to stretch the hammys and calves. I tried to pace without going to hard and made sure to take in enough water. I took a GU at the start of the bike and every 40 minutes there after. I felt the urge to pee mid way through the bike. I managed to wait until T2 to use the facilities. Tried to enjoy myself and encourage others along the way.

The only thing I could think to do is pace myself a little better. I really don't feel like I overdid it. I need to consider a new nutrition plan. That goes for the whole race and training.
Transition 2
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

Totally forgot to take my feet out of the shoes until right before the dismount line. I did manage to get them out at the last minute. My toes were pretty numb when running through transition. Took a few minutes, but they got better. I didn't feel like I took that long to get through transition, but the time tells different.

Remember to remove my feet from the shoes well before the dismount line. Make sure to wiggle toes to get the blood flowing well before dismount.
Run
  • 2h 12m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a terrible run! I was hoping to average 8:30-9:00 miles on the run, but this did not happen! I ran too fast off the bike (6.5 min. mile for first mile), even though I consciously tried to keep it slow. I started cramping pretty early in and knew it was going to be a long day. I really struggled through the entire run. It was all I could do to run to the next aid station. I walked every aid station. I took in water, perform and a little coke. The perform seemed to help the most. I poured water on my head. Poured ice down my shorts to cool down my quads. I felt absolutely terrible around mile 9. One of the ladies from TriAugusta came by and asked what was wrong. I remeber telling her that I was just tired. I really was. I was spent! The last two miles felt like the longest. I was cramping severely in my hammys, quads and calves. Even after rounding the last turn to the finish line I had to stop to stretch out my calves. It was everything I could do to run through the finish.

Needless to say this was not the way I pictured it ending. I can remember reading race reports about people sprinting to the finish and giving it everything they had. Yeah... That didn't happen. No sprinting for me!

Train smarter! I learned a lot from my first HIM. I was not prepared for the distance. I need to do longer bricks and longer runs.
Post race
Warm down:

I seriously felt horrible! One of my teammates told me to "cheer up, it's over!" I told him, "I can't. I'm done!" It took me a while to recover. I chatted with the wifey and took a couple of pictures. I picked up some pizza and cookies, but couldn't manage to eat them right away. I sat against a fence for a while, and ended up laying down for about 15-20 minutes. I did feel better after that and managed to get a little food in me. It took me about an hour to really recover to a point where I could actually function properly. I should have gotten a post race massage. Next year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was not properly trained for this event.I underestimated the distance. I was a little too heavy too. All in all, I learned A LOT from my first HIM. I will be back next year with a plan and a goal.

Last updated: 2013-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:03 | 2112 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/202
Overall: 265/3341
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: Down Stream
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:49 | 56 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 49/202
Overall: 755/3341
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: "Rolling" Hills. Experienced a some wind toward the end. Nothing unbearable. Some of the roads are pretty rough. Welcome to South Carolina!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:12:26 | 13.1 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 69/202
Overall: 752/3341
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops-Flat
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-03 7:44 AM

User image

Augusta, Georgia
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 4150 Posts: 19

2009-10-05 2:23 PM tahrens

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by green_sea_urchin
Views: 3031 Posts: 7

2009-10-02 10:28 PM 3daywknd

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by ironlib
Views: 3426 Posts: 14

2009-10-03 6:47 PM Slave Diver

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by PerpetualEndurance
Views: 2943 Posts: 9

2009-09-28 11:46 AM ironlib

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by FlyingTiger
Views: 2952 Posts: 9

2009-10-07 5:39 PM Swank guy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.