General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Austin IM water temps & roads Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-03 3:51 PM

Subject: Austin IM water temps & roads
I'm doing Austin at the end of this month. I've done one other IM 70.3.

Anyone have any idea where the water temps are at right now? I know 76.1 is the cutoff for wetsuits. I just have no idea if I should plan trying to find one or not. Also, do most of you guys still use a wetsuit in the optional water temp range (76.2-83.8 I think)? I can't imagine I need to be concerned with age group awards, but I don't want to show up the only one in a wetsuit either.

Also, does anyone who has done this have any feedback on the roads? I've read they are in bad shape. I'm just hoping it doesn't ruin my day with a flat or something. I'm bringing extra tubes and such.

2013-10-03 3:57 PM
in reply to: SwimBikeRun83

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Austin IM water temps & roads

Originally posted by SwimBikeRun83 Also, does anyone who has done this have any feedback on the roads? I've read they are in bad shape. I'm just hoping it doesn't ruin my day with a flat or something. I'm bringing extra tubes and such.

Those roads are terrible in my opinion (one reason I won't do that race again). But not much you can do about it if you're already committed to racing. They make an effort to spray paint the larger hazards, just be aware of your surroundings when you are trying to avoid them.

2013-10-03 4:01 PM
in reply to: lisac957

I've been hearing that. I can handle the bumps, I'm just hoping nothing causes a flat.
2013-10-03 4:29 PM

User image

Pro

After training in Florida, I didn't think the roads were as bad as they were made out to be.

After riding in Tucson - I still think they're pretty middle of the road

Guess I'm used to questionable road conditions, though

2013-10-03 4:34 PM

User image

New user

Dallas
Austin will be my first HIM. I don't intend to wear a wetsuit so you won't be the only one out there! I got an email from the event today stating that the average race-day water temp is 80... figure anything within a few degrees of that will be just fine.

Also interested to hear more about the roads. Typically a windy ride?
2013-10-03 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4870339

Yes i got that email too but they also say average temp of 72-76. Maybe 80 means more recently?

Also i meant i dont want to be the only one wearing a wetsuit, nit not wearimg one. Swimming is my weakness :-(

2013-10-03 4:52 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-04 9:33 AM

2013-10-04 1:50 PM
in reply to: pahmiyel

Yes please report back on how the roads look!

Are you planning to wear wetsuits if it's between 76.2 and 83.8, or just if it's below 76.1?
2013-10-04 2:34 PM

Houston
I wore a wetsuit last year as it ended up being very chilly in the morning on race day. As i recall, most folks were wearing wetsuits, maybe even the pros. The roads aren't great but I've definitely ridden worse in other parts of Texas. All I heard leading up to the race was the roads were horrible, so I was pleasantly surprised when they weren't as bad as I was expecting.

The run was the worst part for me. Three loop course and it was super hilly, not enough training on hills running in Houston.

Hope you have a great race! I think it's a fun race, but also won't be doing it again.
2013-10-04 2:54 PM

Regular
If you bike in Texas, the roads will probably seem normal to you. The people who think they are horrible must have it pretty good where they live.

The wind is a crap shoot, anything between 5 and 25mph. It's hard to plan for, just don't shy away from training in the wind and you'll be ready for anything.

I'm told the swim is usually (but not always) wetsuit legal, i.e. below 76.1. If it's in the wetsuit optional range, you certainly won't be the only one wearing one, I'd still guess that a majority will.

2013-10-04 3:20 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by mbwallis If you bike in Texas, the roads will probably seem normal to you. The people who think they are horrible must have it pretty good where they live.  

You may be right, but I've done races in Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Wisconsin, Kentucky and California. Austin 70.3 and Redman are by far the worst roads I've seen. Vineman was right up there too but riding through wine country made up for it there . I feel for ya'll who have to ride on those roads every day. 

2013-10-04 5:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by mbwallis If you bike in Texas, the roads will probably seem normal to you. The people who think they are horrible must have it pretty good where they live.  

You may be right, but I've done races in Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Wisconsin, Kentucky and California. Austin 70.3 and Redman are by far the worst roads I've seen. Vineman was right up there too but riding through wine country made up for it there . I feel for ya'll who have to ride on those roads every day. 

I live in Texas and I ride on some bad country roads but the middle 30 miles or so of the Austin 70.3 course are pretty much some of the worst roads I've ever been on.

2013-10-04 9:09 PM

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I'm headed to Austin as well. I will wear a wetsuit, but only if it's below the cutoff. As for the roads, I would guess that everyone has their own interpretation of "horrible." The roads here in Soco can be pretty rough in spots, but I appreciate the insight from those who have ridden it before. Should make for an ahem . . . interesting ride!
2013-10-05 6:24 AM
in reply to: #4870379

I have done the race the last two years and both times it was wetsuit legal. Both times there were very few people not wearing one.

I am from the area so I didn't think the roads were bad at all. There was just one bridge that was under construction in 2011 that was bad. Overall a really great race and I would do it again.
2013-10-05 12:30 PM
in reply to: maximyus

Great thanks for the info. It's good to hear what local athletes think.

2013-10-05 3:35 PM

Plano, TX
The roads are not great, but my experience last year was that it wasn't as bad as everyone described (seemed worse driving some of the course in my car the day before than it was on my bike on race day). There was a stretch in the middle of the race where the roads were pretty bumpy and I might not have noticed it as much as I normally would have because I was wearing gloves due to unusually low temps on race day (low 40s). When you got off that stretch though, it was like you just rolled onto a cloud...my whole body just relaxed and I didn't even realize how tense I'd been for that stretch. That section didn't ruin my day or anything, though (but it did slow me down, from what I remember). Beyond that 10-15 mile stretch, I didn't find the roads that bad and I'm used to riding on pretty smooth urban roads in my area.

Do what makes you comfortable with the wetsuit (unless it's really warm) especially if you're looking for a little benefit from not being as confident in the water. Last year most were in them because it was below 76, but even at the optional temps, I bet some will still use theirs.
2013-10-07 8:45 AM
in reply to: jte463

2013-10-07 9:48 AM

New user

Dallas
Thanks for that tip about the hidden hill. Definitely going to keep that in mind!

2013-10-07 11:19 AM

Regular
Originally posted by lisac957

Everything is bigger in Texas, and I guess that includes the bumps on our roads.
2013-10-07 12:09 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

Master
Overland Park, KS
Probably want to make sure you've got good tires, like Conti GP4000S or similar.

2013-10-07 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4871411

Awesome thanks for the feedback! Thats exactly what I was hoping someone could provide.

I did buy some Gatorskin tires.
2013-10-07 4:43 PM

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Originally posted by pahmiyel

I can't remember the name of the road but one hill is directly after a right turn and it's hidden from sight. I want to say it was the turn from Lindell onto Blue Bluff, but it was a dead end and there was a stop sign. If you keep those landmarks in your mind you should be able to figure out which turn it is. Make sure you shift into your hill climbing gear before the stop sign b/c once you make that right turn you'll be climbing. They may have volunteers warning people but I wouldnt bet on it.

It is Lindell to Blue Bluff.  To make matters worse for the unanticipated gear shift, you are on a slight decent coming to the right hand turn.  I've have seen plenty of people hop/fall off their bikes not appreciating the steepness of the hill (mostly lower experienced riders, though).  There should be volunteers warning of the hill, but sometimes you can't understand what is being said.

2013-10-07 7:08 PM

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Thanks for the Recon! Everyone on BT should buy you a beer after the race!
2013-10-08 1:26 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

Austin
Originally posted by Hook'em
Originally posted by pahmiyel

I can't remember the name of the road but one hill is directly after a right turn and it's hidden from sight. I want to say it was the turn from Lindell onto Blue Bluff, but it was a dead end and there was a stop sign. If you keep those landmarks in your mind you should be able to figure out which turn it is. Make sure you shift into your hill climbing gear before the stop sign b/c once you make that right turn you'll be climbing. They may have volunteers warning people but I wouldnt bet on it.

It is Lindell to Blue Bluff.  To make matters worse for the unanticipated gear shift, you are on a slight decent coming to the right hand turn.  I've have seen plenty of people hop/fall off their bikes not appreciating the steepness of the hill (mostly lower experienced riders, though).  There should be volunteers warning of the hill, but sometimes you can't understand what is being said.

This hill is part of many races that take place out at decker lake. Our group calls this one carnage, since there is always someone that just gets tore up going around that corner.

In the 3 years I have been doing races at this location I have fallen here once, and thrown up while going up this hill once. Its a good time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Austin IM water temps & roads Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Water Conditions at Tempe Town Lake - Home of IM AZ and SOMA 1/2 IM

Started by SwmBkRn
Views: 2650 Posts: 2

2004-10-22 6:55 PM SwmBkRn

water temp avg 68-70 wetsuit??

Started by bisquick
Views: 1193 Posts: 4

2004-05-31 8:36 PM royj

Water Temp

Started by TriMom217
Views: 926 Posts: 12

2004-05-09 10:48 PM max

Water Temps for Wetsuits

Started by misolis
Views: 868 Posts: 4

2004-04-26 6:30 PM dhlundblad

water temp

Started by TriMom217
Views: 1502 Posts: 18

2004-04-02 2:23 PM puffin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : January 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on St. A's training, diet, strength training during the winter, tri/road bike training, swollen feet, swimming strategy and spinning for IM's.

date : December 12, 2004
author : CLLinIA
comments : 1
What you can do to clean up your local swimming hole and keep it clean!