General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-27 6:38 AM

New user

East Coast Fl.
Subject: Shin Splints!!!
Any tips on how to deal with shin splints. Everytime I run more then a couple times a week I get shin splints. I have already tried different shoes and that didn't work. Anybody have this problem and find a way to deal with it?

2006-07-27 7:08 AM
in reply to: #494472

New user
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Shin Splints!!!
I had severe shin splints for years until I finally went to a physical therapist who specialized in running injuries. She analyzed my running form and told me that I ran sort of "flat footed". She said that if someone were to stand behind me while I was running, they should be able to see the bottom of my feet at the end of each stride, and she couldn't. She told me to run like I was kicking sand with every stride. It was really hard to do at first, because I really had to concentrate on "kicking sand". On my very first run trying it that way I had NO shin splint pain. It was the first time ever I had run without that pain and I haven't had the pain since. That was what worked for me. It may work for you.

If not, then you may need to see someone who specializes in running gait analysis. It was $75 for the one time session and it was money well worth spent.

Good luck

Vicki
2006-07-27 8:41 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA

I've also had shin splints but have gotten over it.  There's not really enough information to help you figure it out. 

Do you have the right shoes for your gait?  

Did you suddenly increase your distance or intensity?

Run on uneven ground, like on the side of the street that slopes?

Run on too hard ground, like concrete vs. asphault vs. grass vs. treadmill?

Do you ice after your runs?  

Do calf and pointing toe exercises?

Do you bike alot since that will help strengthen your calves? 

2006-07-27 12:20 PM

London

I don't claim to be any kind of authority on the dreaded shin splints, so am probably naff all use, but have a few pointers anyway.

I picked them up after increasing distance too quickly, although they can also occur after change in pace, terrain or shoes.  And of course your running style can be a big factor. 

Right, on to more practical stuff. 

Before you even think about going for a run, be sure to stretch properly, especially the calves.  Start out with short runs (about 1k will do for now), alternating between walking and slow running, and increase by only 10% per week.  If when you feel the urge to do a superhuman effort and run 10k straight away, don't give in to temptation - your aerobic fitness improves much quicker than the body can improve (e.g. increase tendon strength etc) - this is where most injuries occur.  Also, if at any point you feel a twinge in the shins then that's your body's way of telling you to stop - just rest for a few days and get back to it later.  Remember, we do three disciplines here and running's not the only way to train (ie instead spend more time in the pool and on the bike, and nail those two at your next race!)

Definitely after every run do the old RICE routine (rest, ice, etc), especially the ice as it helps enormously.  Anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen will also help quite a lot to reduce the pain and swelling.

Also, do exercises to strengthen the shins, as essentially the shin splints arise because of strength imbalances between the shin and the calves causing tendon/ligament damage.  There are a few on the market, but i found the most beneficial to be merely walking round on your heels with your toes off the ground.  This forces the shin to work hard to support the foot, and helps redress the strength imbalance, and probably contibuted more to my recovery than anything else.

Gordon.

2006-07-27 1:28 PM

I get the anterior shin splints on occasion from increasing mileage but I minimize that by stretching before and after running, focusing on stride/gait when I'm tired and icing my shins after every run for 15 minutes. I bought a pair of shin ice wraps from footsmart.com ( gel packs and saran wrap work just as good though) and this REALLY helps. Give them time to heal or they get WAY worse and you will screw up your training Rest Ice Compression and Elevation. I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Innn Express last night!
2006-07-27 1:44 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
a physical theoristpist told me that if you get shin splits alot make sure you dtretch your calve muscles that they will mostly likely be tight and causes the problems. I found that works for me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints!!! Rss Feed