Other Resources My Cup of Joe » My Carbon Monoxide Detector... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-06 9:02 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: My Carbon Monoxide Detector...
Originally posted by pga_mike

Originally posted by briderdt

Originally posted by Moonrocket I do think Carbon Monoxide is heavy and sinks though- so your detector is supposed to be near the ground- vs. smoke which should be up high.

I just checked this because I was wondering the same thing -- article said that a high placement was recommended because CO would generally be accompanied by hot gases when generated, so it would rise.

http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.htm

If the carbon monoxide detector is accompanied by hot gasses, I'd assume that other detectors would be going off, and the flames licking at your tushy would put CO low on the SWOT analysis.

I think that you want it where it could detect failure without flames. Just a golf pro's opinion.

I am really putting my thinking cap on for this SWOT
Strength: I'd rather die from CO^2 than burning to death
Weakness: Chaning the battery to stop the beeping would be even harder when you add smoke
opportunity: If the house burns down I don't have to change the battery
Threat: there seem to be plenty in this scenario.

2013-10-06 9:38 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Master
Beijing
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Originally posted by Moonrocket I do think Carbon Monoxide is heavy and sinks though- so your detector is supposed to be near the ground- vs. smoke which should be up high.

I just checked this because I was wondering the same thing -- article said that a high placement was recommended because CO would generally be accompanied by hot gases when generated, so it would rise.

If the carbon monoxide detector is accompanied by hot gasses, I'd assume that other detectors would be going off, and the flames licking at your tushy would put CO low on the SWOT analysis. I think that you want it where it could detect failure without flames. Just a golf pro's opinion.
I am really putting my thinking cap on for this SWOT Strength: I'd rather die from CO^2 than burning to death Weakness: Chaning the battery to stop the beeping would be even harder when you add smoke opportunity: If the house burns down I don't have to change the battery Threat: there seem to be plenty in this scenario.

Impressive.  I never made it past the tushy-licking.

2013-10-06 9:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

If the carbon monoxide detector is accompanied by hot gasses, I'd assume that other detectors would be going off, and the flames licking at your tushy would put CO low on the SWOT analysis. I think that you want it where it could detect failure without flames. Just a golf pro's opinion.
I am really putting my thinking cap on for this SWOT Strength: I'd rather die from CO^2 than burning to death Weakness: Chaning the battery to stop the beeping would be even harder when you add smoke opportunity: If the house burns down I don't have to change the battery Threat: there seem to be plenty in this scenario.

I don't know where the ideal place to put one is.....but now that the weather is getting colder it's a good time to make sure you have one or two in your home.....along with checking your heating system if you use "organic matter" as fuel. It doesn't happen very often( carbon monoxide poisoning)....but when it does, it's very silent and VERY deadly.....and eery.  15 years ago I was at the scene of a family of four who just went to sleep one evening....and didn't wake up.  Squirrels had clogged up the flu on their gas (propane)furnace.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-06 9:43 PM
2013-10-07 11:59 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Seattle

Just to follow up, it was simply a dead/dying battery. OUr friend came over with his ladder and replaced the battery but we are going to relocate it in a few weeks so that this doesn't happen again.

2013-10-07 12:10 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Originally posted by Left Brain

I don't know where the ideal place to put one is.....but now that the weather is getting colder it's a good time to make sure you have one or two in your home.....along with checking your heating system if you use "organic matter" as fuel. It doesn't happen very often( carbon monoxide poisoning)....but when it does, it's very silent and VERY deadly.....and eery.  15 years ago I was at the scene of a family of four who just went to sleep one evening....and didn't wake up.  Squirrels had clogged up the flu on their gas (propane)furnace.

Further proof of my friend's theory that squirrels are evil and plotting the demise of humans!

2013-10-07 3:47 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Left Brain

Yeah, absolutely. As much as we joked about bashing the thing in, we will always keep it functioning.

We have radiant heat. If a squirrel got involved I would likely live and there would be hellz to pay.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » My Carbon Monoxide Detector... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Help me stop my smoke detectors!

Started by sungirl919
Views: 3474 Posts: 21

2012-05-17 12:07 AM Left Brain

Lie detector tests Pages: 1 2

Started by jonathan22
Views: 2669 Posts: 32

2012-03-22 9:49 AM Barkeep

REALLY dumb question about Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors...

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 1080 Posts: 12

2009-07-04 11:32 PM Israelg48

Darn CO/Gas detector

Started by paddle2paddle
Views: 773 Posts: 7

2008-03-05 7:14 PM paddle2paddle

Carbon Monoxide

Started by houston-tri-mamma
Views: 811 Posts: 14

2004-11-20 9:00 AM houston-tri-mamma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : November 23, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 1
Should you make the switch from your current aluminum framed bike to a carbon bike frame?
date : September 9, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ reviews the Blue FS Carbon mountain bike. A lightweight bike perfect for racing XTERRA triathlons.

date : April 14, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Need a high-performance wheel upgrade? Watch the review of the Specialized Roval Rapide Carbon Clincher wheelset which turned out to be an excellent all-around wheelset for both training and racing.
date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”