Other Resources My Cup of Joe » My Carbon Monoxide Detector... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-04 11:26 AM

User image

Seattle
Subject: My Carbon Monoxide Detector...

Has been beeping ALL night! It's approximately every 30 seconds, which I believe (and hope!) means it's a low battery issue.

The problem is, it's mounted in our livingroom which is a double height space (with a vaulted ceiling/shed roof) and we don't have a ladder tall enough to reach. I've asked around and may have found someone who has one long enough we can borrow BUT if that doesn't work out, would it be inappropriate to call the (non emergency #) fire department? Or should we maybe contact a contractor? 

Because of liability issues, people don't just rent out ladders. And we live in the city, with limited storage space so buying a ladder isn't really an option (unless it is our only option?)

Any suggestions are welcome!

2013-10-04 11:46 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: My Carbon Monoxide Detector...
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Has been beeping ALL night! It's approximately every 30 seconds, which I believe (and hope!) means it's a low battery issue.

The problem is, it's mounted in our livingroom which is a double height space (with a vaulted ceiling/shed roof) and we don't have a ladder tall enough to reach. I've asked around and may have found someone who has one long enough we can borrow BUT if that doesn't work out, would it be inappropriate to call the (non emergency #) fire department? Or should we maybe contact a contractor? 

Because of liability issues, people don't just rent out ladders. And we live in the city, with limited storage space so buying a ladder isn't really an option (unless it is our only option?)

I can't believe I have to help you with this--woman who can turn off the light switch with a nerf football.

Real football + carbon monoxide detector = problem solved.

Ohhhh, you mean you actually want to have a functioning one?

In our town we have a place that rents everything, from glasses and ladders to cherry pickers and back hoes.

A contractor may be the simplest route.

2013-10-04 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Use the force!

Knock it down with a broomstick?

Shoot it with a BB gun?

Okay, I really don't have anything constructive to add...

2013-10-04 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I don't have a suggestion on turning it off b/c we once put a step ladder on top of text books on top of our bed to get one in our vaulted bedroom- which worked but was really not safe.

I do think Carbon Monoxide is heavy and sinks though- so your detector is supposed to be near the ground- vs. smoke which should be up high.

2013-10-04 11:54 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Home Depot definitely rents tall ladders.
2013-10-04 12:27 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by Moonrocket I do think Carbon Monoxide is heavy and sinks though- so your detector is supposed to be near the ground- vs. smoke which should be up high.

I just checked this because I was wondering the same thing -- article said that a high placement was recommended because CO would generally be accompanied by hot gases when generated, so it would rise.

http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.htm

2013-10-04 12:38 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
knock out the CO detector using method of choice (nerf, football, bb gun) and get a canary?
2013-10-04 12:47 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Buy a ladder...  I mean, you don't use them often, but when you need one...

Don't get those supper big ones, but the fold up kind.  They run about 180 bucks at Sams I think (or any home depot/lowes).  They are super slick.  They can be step ladder, scaffold, extension ladder all the way out.

Google Gorilla latter or similar.  What's nice, is they fold up reasonably small, so you don't need to keep a 12" extension latter somewhere.  They fit in a closet pretty easily or corner of the garage.

2013-10-04 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by briderdt

Originally posted by Moonrocket I do think Carbon Monoxide is heavy and sinks though- so your detector is supposed to be near the ground- vs. smoke which should be up high.

I just checked this because I was wondering the same thing -- article said that a high placement was recommended because CO would generally be accompanied by hot gases when generated, so it would rise.

Wow- thanks! I guess I will look into if we should move ours! Although I don't think we have any plugs above ground level.
2013-10-04 1:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Moonrocket

Wow- thanks! I guess I will look into if we should move ours! Although I don't think we have any plugs above ground level.

Well, at least one good thing came out of this torturous morning Smile

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-10-04 1:10 PM
2013-10-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by switch

I can't believe I have to help you with this--woman who can turn off the light switch with a nerf football.

In our town we have a place that rents everything, from glasses and ladders to cherry pickers and back hoes.

Dude, it was a nerf GUN, not football.

So, I'll just break out the AK then.

We often play a game called "Gunshot or firework?" I suppose it WOULD be nice to give the neighbors a turn. 

2013-10-04 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

We often play a game called "Gunshot or firework?" I suppose it WOULD be nice to give the neighbors a turn. 

Today I didn't even have use my AK, I gotta say it was a good day.

Sorry....couldn't help myself.

2013-10-04 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Aaaahhh.... reminds me of our years in Philly.  Could tell the difference b/w a 38 and 45 from 5 blocks by the time we moved to the 'burbs (gunshots were waking the kids during naps, and there was no way we were gonna miss "down time").

To the original topic, I won't say that I'm proud of this, but I can vouch for the broomstick method of CO alarm quieting...  Especially effective at 0300 or so.

Matt

2013-10-04 1:32 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Aaaahhh.... reminds me of our years in Philly.  Could tell the difference b/w a 38 and 45 from 5 blocks by the time we moved to the 'burbs (gunshots were waking the kids during naps, and there was no way we were gonna miss "down time").

To the original topic, I won't say that I'm proud of this, but I can vouch for the broomstick method of CO alarm quieting...  Especially effective at 0300 or so.

Matt

Trust me, I'd broomstick the shyte out of the thing if I had a 22' long broomstick.

2013-10-04 1:40 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Buy a ladder; fix the CO detector; return ladder for full refund once you have decided that you really didn't have much use for the ladder after all.

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Matt

Trust me, I'd broomstick the shyte out of the thing if I had a 22' long broomstick.

aha! They do sell telescoping handle things for paint brushes and light bulb changes. I know they make some that extend to 16' so you on a chair with extending thingy could hit that, so to speak. Those fold up ladders are pretty handy, but I live in a converted barn with 38' ceilings...which reminds me, how "tight" is your space ( your house, that is). Carbon monoxide detector may be superfluous....

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

I vote for not calling 911. Most fire departments will come out and run their own device to detect CO, and they shouldn't mind doing that if you think you might have a CO issue, but yours is not alarming. It's a battery or malfunction issue and they aren't there to play handyman. As for placement - CO may initially rise with hot gases, but you don't sleep at ceiling height, do you? In fairly short order, all that will cool and the CO will mix pretty homogenously with the rest of the air. Put the doggone thing where you can reach it. Better yet, have two different ones for redundancy. Both where you can reach them.

Today I didn't even have use my AK, I gotta say it was a good day.

Sorry....couldn't help myself.

Love that song.
2013-10-04 1:46 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle

Matt

aha! They do sell telescoping handle things for paint brushes and light bulb changes. I know they make some that extend to 16' so you on a chair with extending thingy could hit that, so to speak. Those fold up ladders are pretty handy, but I live in a converted barn with 38' ceilings...which reminds me, how "tight" is your space ( your house, that is). Carbon monoxide detector may be superfluous....

We are going to need one of those things soon, too.

OK, I just thought of a resource. We have a local 'tool library' here that we are members of. Duh. They have a bunch of ladders, too.

Looks like they have the "pole extender" too, for changing light bulbs. The one problem I see though, is that they are pendant lights with CFLs with the pins. So, that probably won't work. So, ladder for that as well!

2013-10-04 2:04 PM

User image

Sounds like a good reason to have a party tonight!

2013-10-04 2:25 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by MLPFS

Sounds like a good reason to have a party tonight!

Perfect! Now I'm going to need about 50 of you. Will provide pizza and beer.

2013-10-04 2:56 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
And make sure you put in a "long life" battery replacement. They come in 10 year versions- I think. Easier than renting a ladder next year. Or moving.

2013-10-04 6:22 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Master
Beijing
It's also important to note that CO detectors have a limited lifespan. (about 5-7 years) so if the CO detector is that old, you need to replace the whole detector, not just the battery.
2013-10-05 6:36 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Originally posted by moondawg14

It's also important to note that CO detectors have a limited lifespan. (about 5-7 years) so if the CO detector is that old, you need to replace the whole detector, not just the battery.

I was thinking the same thing about lifespan, and when I looked it up the wiki article pointed out that newer models often come with an alarm to indicate time to change out or test. Note that a test button would test the alarm and battery, but not the actual sensor. Checking the sensor would involve actually using a gas to check for sensitivity.

2013-10-05 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Are you sure it is a CO detector and not just a regular smoke detector? They beep like that when the battery gets low too.

Given what you have said, once you get it down, you might consider whether to put ANYTHING back up there. If it is a 2-story room with a vaulted ceiling, is there another place (maybe 8-10' up on a wall) that you could mount something? So the top 15' of the room have to fill with smoke before you get an alarm? You still have the bottom 10' of decent air much like you would if the detector were located in a regular room.
2013-10-06 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

If the carbon monoxide detector is accompanied by hot gasses, I'd assume that other detectors would be going off, and the flames licking at your tushy would put CO low on the SWOT analysis.

I think that you want it where it could detect failure without flames. Just a golf pro's opinion.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » My Carbon Monoxide Detector... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Help me stop my smoke detectors!

Started by sungirl919
Views: 3481 Posts: 21

2012-05-17 12:07 AM Left Brain

Lie detector tests Pages: 1 2

Started by jonathan22
Views: 2679 Posts: 32

2012-03-22 9:49 AM Barkeep

REALLY dumb question about Smoke/Carbon Monoxide detectors...

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 1080 Posts: 12

2009-07-04 11:32 PM Israelg48

Darn CO/Gas detector

Started by paddle2paddle
Views: 778 Posts: 7

2008-03-05 7:14 PM paddle2paddle

Carbon Monoxide

Started by houston-tri-mamma
Views: 826 Posts: 14

2004-11-20 9:00 AM houston-tri-mamma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : November 23, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 1
Should you make the switch from your current aluminum framed bike to a carbon bike frame?
date : September 9, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Coach AJ reviews the Blue FS Carbon mountain bike. A lightweight bike perfect for racing XTERRA triathlons.

date : April 14, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Need a high-performance wheel upgrade? Watch the review of the Specialized Roval Rapide Carbon Clincher wheelset which turned out to be an excellent all-around wheelset for both training and racing.
date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”