General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think I'm going to build a bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-04 2:38 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Think I'm going to build a bike

I'm thinking about building up a bike, something I've been wanting to do.  I already started to sell off my existing bikes & parts/ plus a motorcycle.  Looking at replacing my old Felt S22 with a 2011-2013 DA frame or a 2013 B12 frame. Will be using ebay for components (groupsets) & base/aero bars or piecemeal Nashbar sales. I guess Patience will be a virtue!  Not looking for top line components & base/aero bars, Ultegra/Force will be fine with maybe a 11 speed setup if the price is right!

Questions:

Anyone think the Bayonet 3 front-end is not worth the extra $ vs. the traditional 2013 B12 front end?  Not sure if the Bayonet is a hassle or not.

Base/aero bars, is the 3T Aura LE Carbon-Alloy Aerobar a good set?  It's 60% off on Nashbar right now.

Guess I'll need to buy a full tool set and make a frame stand.  What else will I need?

2013-10-04 7:03 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Think I'm going to build a bike
The Bayonet 3 is awesome! My wife has a Felt DA 4W (that is not really a 4 any more... it's now completely tricked out with Di2, the super light and crazy stiff Devox carbon aero bars, Zipp VumaChrono crank, TriRig Omega front brake, and Hed Jet 6/9 C2 650's!), honestly that front end is just crazy stiff and tracks like nothing else. And it's really no hazzle at all, actually very easy to work with.

I built a bike for a very good friend with the 3T Aura carbon/alloy aerobars. She just repeated in London as AG world champion, defending her title from Auckland last year (and she also won her AG in this years nationals). Good enough for a world champion should be good enough... (btw. she had the fastest bike split by almost 4 minutes, and that in a sprint!) Trust me, those aerobars won't hold you back.

You'll need chain tool (to cut to length and if a chain lock, highly recommend the pliers), cable cutter, hex keys (metric), torque wrench, screw driver, measuring tape, cassette tools (chain whip and cassette removal tool), multipurpose bike grease (for all the threads), bottom bracket tools (to fit your new bike), and as you mention, a work stand, highly recommend that that locks the fork, much more stable and easier to work with than trying to clamp down on the seat post.

And of course, you need the know-how. If you haven't built a bike before, take your time and watch as many YouTube videos as you can and study the Park Tools website. If you have a buddy that knows how to wrench, buy him/her a six-pack of good Belgian beer and invite to help you out (just build before the beer... has a tendency to go wrong otherwise). And yes, has to be Belgian beer! This is cycling after all!
2013-10-04 7:30 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
+1 to everything Jan said, although you can do A LOT better than the Aura bar for equal or less $ (even at 60% off) heck, even an old set of Vision bars is an upgrade from the aura's.
2013-10-04 8:51 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Originally posted by audiojan The Bayonet 3 is awesome! My wife has a Felt DA 4W (that is not really a 4 any more... it's now completely tricked out with Di2, the super light and crazy stiff Devox carbon aero bars, Zipp VumaChrono crank, TriRig Omega front brake, and Hed Jet 6/9 C2 650's!), honestly that front end is just crazy stiff and tracks like nothing else. And it's really no hazzle at all, actually very easy to work with. I built a bike for a very good friend with the 3T Aura carbon/alloy aerobars. She just repeated in London as AG world champion, defending her title from Auckland last year (and she also won her AG in this years nationals). Good enough for a world champion should be good enough... (btw. she had the fastest bike split by almost 4 minutes, and that in a sprint!) Trust me, those aerobars won't hold you back. You'll need chain tool (to cut to length and if a chain lock, highly recommend the pliers), cable cutter, hex keys (metric), torque wrench, screw driver, measuring tape, cassette tools (chain whip and cassette removal tool), multipurpose bike grease (for all the threads), bottom bracket tools (to fit your new bike), and as you mention, a work stand, highly recommend that that locks the fork, much more stable and easier to work with than trying to clamp down on the seat post. And of course, you need the know-how. If you haven't built a bike before, take your time and watch as many YouTube videos as you can and study the Park Tools website. If you have a buddy that knows how to wrench, buy him/her a six-pack of good Belgian beer and invite to help you out (just build before the beer... has a tendency to go wrong otherwise). And yes, has to be Belgian beer! This is cycling after all!
Thanks for the feedback!  I just read the TriSports 2011 DA article and it stated how stiff the Bayonet 3 front end is. I have lot of the tools mentioned already, just will need to get the crank tools, inch pound torque wrench and a few others.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Think I'm going to build a bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Building a bike & Whats your dream build?

Started by odpaul7
Views: 3622 Posts: 19

2013-07-19 9:18 PM andy515

I think I'm going crazy

Started by jon-m
Views: 723 Posts: 2

2012-08-25 5:33 PM blynott

So I'm thinking I'm losing my mind

Started by Shortyy
Views: 767 Posts: 2

2007-07-27 8:45 PM mixie

so I'm going to go look at a 2006 TREK 2100 for $1,149.00

Started by pigfinn
Views: 994 Posts: 5

2006-11-16 12:48 PM jeng

I think I'm going slighty mad!

Started by jknapman
Views: 742 Posts: 7

2006-05-31 6:07 AM phoenixazul
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Do I swim an extra 1000 yards or show up on time to my son’s soccer game? Those small decisions become larger components in this emo/physio battle of decision and will. "Should I go pro?"

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : February 10, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
The backstory of becoming a pro, joining a team and working with sponsors

date : March 9, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
"I'm 'good' at breakfast and lunch, but after I get home from the gym at night, I end up devouring everything in sight. On weekends, my eating is even crazier." Sound familiar?
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : April 20, 2009
author : FitWerx
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.

date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.