General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KT Tape advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-04 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: KT Tape advice?

Howdy, BTers!

Anyone have any success and/or advice with using KT tape to help knee tracking issues?

My niggling pain is a little more complex than straight up bad tracking -- my VMO muscle (see pic) is super tender, but when I roll it out and massage it, the knee pain lessens or just goes away completely (though briefly -- it comes back, of course). 

VMO

Bending the knee hurts, impact doesn't really seem to matter (swimming's ok, cycling is not, running on the AlterG is ok'ish). I'm int PT, doing stretches and exercises, etc. 

I'm at a discomfort-but-not-pain level right now and I have a trail race this weekend (my first ever!!). Not a crazy course, not very hilly, so I'm gonna give it a try and drop out if it doesn't feel good, but figured I could use all the help I can get -- hence, KT Tape, which I just purchased.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

2013-10-04 3:47 PM
in reply to: swishyskirt

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: KT Tape advice?

I've found that a j-brace knee brace works a lot better.

but, also a lot more cumbersome to wear.

I started feeling the pain but was training for Boston, so I kept on running through my patellofemoral pain.  2 months later, I couldn't run at all, and it took down my whole summer.  I'm back to running again, and my knee is still a little sore, but serviceable.  Anyway, overdo it, and it will be months to heal- so be careful.  listen to your body.

2013-10-04 4:45 PM

User image

New user
Central Florida
I have had several runners use KT tape for runners knee or improper patella tracking with good success. The KT website has some great application videos, and there is also a KT forum that has additional taping applications for topics not covered in the videos. Under the knee section, there is full knee support application that I have utilized on the runners. Do yourself a favor though, get the KT Pro, it sticks better and it more water resistant.

If your in doubt on the application, there are PTs and chiropractors that will apply the KT tape for you.

Good luck with your race!
2013-10-04 7:25 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

My advice is to use it only as a temporary aid to get you through the short term.  The long term solution is usually to identify the actual cause of your issue and correct that.  It can be anything from simple overuse (too much, too hard, too soon) to movement dysfunctions or muscular imbalances.

2013-10-04 8:00 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
New York

Yeah, don't none of you fret, I'm definitely using this as a short term fix up. I'm just REALLY excited about doing this trail race, but if I'm not feeling good, I have no problems dropping out. 

I'm pretty sure it's a combo overuse and backpacking without enough rest between long runs. I'm working with a physical therapist and being diligent about stretching and rolling.

Also, I was intrigued that people used it to increase blood flow to the area (not sure how much I believe that works, but it was interesting to read about). 

I'll use the KT site and YouTubes to figure out how to apply it. Any beginner tips? Thanks!

2013-10-04 8:29 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by swishyskirt

Yeah, don't none of you fret, I'm definitely using this as a short term fix up. I'm just REALLY excited about doing this trail race, but if I'm not feeling good, I have no problems dropping out. 

I'm pretty sure it's a combo overuse and backpacking without enough rest between long runs. I'm working with a physical therapist and being diligent about stretching and rolling.

Also, I was intrigued that people used it to increase blood flow to the area (not sure how much I believe that works, but it was interesting to read about). 

I'll use the KT site and YouTubes to figure out how to apply it. Any beginner tips? Thanks!

I'm a skeptic about increased blood flow too.

I was at a conference earlier this year, where one of the presenters sung the praises of Rock Tape, demonstrated various applications, and gave us each a roll for free.  I've been having some problems with my ankle, so I finally taped it up about two weeks ago, and wasn't impressed by the results.  It certainly didn't hurt, but I didn't notice any improvement either.  Others claim a lot of luck with it, though, so maybe Rock Tape's site will help.  Good luck!

2013-10-05 6:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by TriMyBest

I was at a conference earlier this year, where one of the presenters sung the praises of Rock Tape, demonstrated various applications, and gave us each a roll for free.  I've been having some problems with my ankle, so I finally taped it up about two weeks ago, and wasn't impressed by the results.  It certainly didn't hurt, but I didn't notice any improvement either.  Others claim a lot of luck with it, though, so maybe Rock Tape's site will help.  Good luck!

Rocktape is way better stuff than KT from a durability POV.  That stuff will stay on for a long time!  Having hairy legs is trouble when it comes to taking it off....

I was a pretty big skeptic about the stuff too until the first time I used it.  

Edit: I don't know if it's increased blood flow or what that made things better for me but something did.

Edited by axteraa 2013-10-05 6:18 AM
2013-10-05 6:28 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I've used rocktape in the past to stabilize a joint. Works really well, but it's not a permanent solution.... you need that issue fixed.

I sprained my shoulder and torn a ligament a couple of months ago and rock tape stabilized my shoulder enough that I can run my scheduled 1/2 marathons. Cycling is too painful still though, even with rock tape.
2013-10-05 7:10 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by axteraa
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Rocktape is way better stuff than KT from a durability POV.  That stuff will stay on for a long time!  Having hairy legs is trouble when it comes to taking it off....

I was a pretty big skeptic about the stuff too until the first time I used it.  

Edit: I don't know if it's increased blood flow or what that made things better for me but something did.

Yeah, when I said it didn't hurt, I sure wasn't talking about removal.  I was foolish and didn't shave my leg first...OUCH!  Cry

2013-10-05 8:04 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Clean the area with rubbing alcohol before you apply it. Once it's on, use the smooth side of the tape backing and rub briskly all over the tape, with particular attention paid to the edges of the tape. This will warm up the glue and make it stick better and stay on better.
2013-10-05 9:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I use it regularly when Biking to Keep everything Lined up and running smoothly , AT one time I used it while running as well but now the Doc wants me to use My M- Brace for any running at all. I keep multiple rolls of it in a assortment of colors just to keep it interesting
The videos will give you a good Idea of proper application technique's or in my case my physiotherapist showed me just exactally how he wanted it done.

If you problem isn't too severe It will do the trick Just fine,, jmk- Brooklyn's application technique is spot on, when applied in this manner it will stay on for 3 or 4 days even with a 1hr swim tossed in there

Edited by RRH_88 2013-10-05 9:13 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KT Tape advice? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock Tape/KT tape for support on race day?

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 1777 Posts: 6

2012-08-10 12:13 PM axteraa

KT Tape

Started by prieto539
Views: 2875 Posts: 17

2012-07-08 12:57 PM NeverEnough

KT Tape

Started by brickbd
Views: 1459 Posts: 10

2012-06-21 7:22 PM axteraa

Practical advice not medical advice requested

Started by sTRIve
Views: 991 Posts: 3

2011-10-07 8:48 AM cdban66

Options other than electric tape to finish bar tape?

Started by KathyG
Views: 3227 Posts: 13

2011-09-21 1:01 PM jedibluez
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : January 8, 2010
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.
date : October 9, 2009
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips