General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nuun in a Camelback? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-05 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Nuun in a Camelback?
Probably should go in the Gear section but I need a quick answer as the ride's tomorrow.....A parent who works for Osprey (apparently they manufacture here) gave me one of their hydration packs, similar to a Camelback, yesterday as a gift. I'm planning an MTB ride tomorrow and with today's rain it's looking to be a real mudbath; hoping to try out the pack instead of getting my water bottle slimed with paddy mud. Is it okay to carry Nuun in one of those plastic hydration bladders? Or is it going to corrode the plastic or leave residue that's impossible to get out? If it matters, it's lemon-lime flavor. I also have a tube of strawberry lemonade flavor, if for some reason that would work better (a bit less acidic, maybe).

2013-10-05 7:59 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Nuun in a Camelback?
If it's so corrosive that it would eat through a silicon hydration bladder in a few hours, I'd be afraid of what it would do to your stomach! I'm sure it'd be fine--just rinse it out when you're done. Just make sure not to close it until it finishes dissolving or it'll inflate the bladder like a balloon.
2013-10-05 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
I don't have a Camelback pack so I could be wrong, but unless that bladder is something you can really clean thoroughly I wouldn't put anything other than water in there. There is just enough sugar in Nuun that it will mold if left long enough. Personally, I don't put anything other than water in items that have straws, bite valves etc anymore because I've found them a pain to keep clean.
2013-10-05 2:19 PM

I put Nuun in my hydration bladders and bottles all the time. Since there's no sugar, there's no gumming up. I've been doing it for a couple of years and never have had an issue. The only thing different I do is after throwing the Nuun in with the water, I wait for a few minutes before stuffing it in the pack and 'burb' it -- the fizz generates some air and I find it annoying to listen to the sloshing. It's much reduced if you bleed off the air pocket once the tablets are dissolved. But no problem with residue. I've gotten lazy and hardly even bother rinsing it out after I'm done, just air it dry. No problems.
Robin
2013-10-05 4:32 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cnsegura

I don't have a Camelback pack so I could be wrong, but unless that bladder is something you can really clean thoroughly I wouldn't put anything other than water in there. There is just enough sugar in Nuun that it will mold if left long enough. Personally, I don't put anything other than water in items that have straws, bite valves etc anymore because I've found them a pain to keep clean.

There's no sugar in Nuun.
2013-10-07 9:33 AM
in reply to: Crazy Pirate

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
I put NUUN in everything my bottles as well as my fuselage in the shiv which is basically a camel-back always comes clean and I never have any issues,,

2013-10-07 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I've put NUUN in my camelbak for years and no problem...Next to water, NUUN is probably the friendliest for cleanup.

As a previous poster suggested, I burp the bladdar after the tablets have finished dissolving which is what I do in regular water bottles as well.  More than once on the bike I'll open the bottle with my teeth only to get a pressure blast if I don't allow the pressure to escape earlier..

Also, as yet another posted corrected, there is no sugar in NUUN..

Below is from a NUUN FAQ board:

Nuun Active Hydration is a line of electrolyte enhanced drink tablets designed to keep you optimally hydrated wherever your active lifestyle and athletic endeavors take you. You sweat, Nuun replenishes. Packed with electrolytes, light flavor, no sugars or carbs, and portable, Nuun Active Hydration is the perfect sports drink. The electrolytes found in Nuun will help alleviate cramps, help muscles function, communicate and burn energy efficiently. Why are Nuun branded products fizzy?

Nuun branded products are in an effervescent tablet form, which gives it the “carbonated” taste at first. The citric acid found in Nuun branded products becomes neutral when combined with the ingredients used to make an effervescent tablet. For best results, make sure to leave the lid off of your drinking receptacle to reduce the pressure created while the tablet dissolves.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nuun in a Camelback? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Camelbacks?

Started by drtrouta
Views: 1465 Posts: 22

2007-08-25 5:13 PM madkat

Camelbacks

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 918 Posts: 2

2007-06-10 9:23 PM vortmax

Use of Camelbacks during bike phase

Started by Bill2005
Views: 981 Posts: 8

2006-08-09 11:12 AM EFD1976

Around the Waist Camelback

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1562 Posts: 11

2006-08-01 9:05 AM Steve in IL

Camelback during a race (bike leg) Pages: 1 2

Started by misanthropic777
Views: 2492 Posts: 31

2006-05-23 2:24 PM OldAg92
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
comments : 1
What would the uninitiated make of all of our gear?

date : September 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
New products from Descente, Vision Tech, Pearl Izumi, Saris, CamelBack, BlueSeventy, Blue, GU, Quarq and Shimano.