Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-07 12:05 PM
in reply to: Trbilbao

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: running with dog

Love running with my BF's dog. She is a 2-year-old mutt of some sort (I think lab/shephard) but small, weighing in at only 30-35 pounds. We've gotten up to 2 miles so far, breaking her in slowly.

2013-10-07 12:16 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mike761

Don't just take a puppy out and run, there bones are soft and you can do permanent damage to their joints. Most recommendation I have heard is very minimal running until they are about 1 1/2 years olds. Once you start running with your dog remember that they do not have shoes on, and they have to build up to longer distances just like we would. Keeping your dog on a leash while running is not difficult, but you have to train them to run with you.

I've been running with my dog for 4 years now, he is a mix between coonhound and lab. Yes he would like to sniff everything, but I do not allow that on runs. I only allow him to stop when he really needs too, it becomes obvious after a little while when they need to pee vs just wants to sniff.

Be careful in warm weather, remember dogs don't sweet to cool off. When temp is above 75 he won't go more than 3 to 4 miles. However in cool weather like 55 I've had him on 10-11 mile runs and I'm sure he would go further if I wanted to.

Work on the leash training, my dog always stays on my right while running. I use a 5ft leash with my left hand through the loop and hold the leash about half way in my right hand. So he has about 2-3ft of leash and trots perfectly right next to me 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time- well he still a dog!

I became a runner and I'm now an everyday runner almost solely because of my dog.

Definitely ask your vet about when the dog will be ready for running, but I believe <1 year is too young for real miles. Growth plates don't solidify until 12-18 months, and many dogs have issues with hip dysplasia. The dog and I did five miles over 5 runs our first week together, and slowly built from there. Once the vet gives you the ok, a C25K plan might be a good thing for the pup. Build very slowly, particularly as you have a base level of fitness that the dog doesn't. The dog's desire to please you means he will ignore when his body signals him to stop if it looks like you want to keep running. If you track your workouts here, add your dog as a piece of equipment (same as you would shoes) so you can track his/her miles with a checkbox.

We use a harness, and I prefer to have my dog at the end of the leash so our legs don't get tangled. She lunges at squirrels and sometimes tries to climb trees, but I rarely ever have to break stride to get her to come along. I trust my dog enough to let her off-lead, but I don't trust people, other dogs, or vehicles enough to let my dog off-lead.

Keep a sharp eye on pads and nails. Concrete doesn't necessarily wear the nails down and, dogs will ignore damage to themselves if they believe they are pleasing you.
2013-10-08 7:32 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Run with my dog everyday, she must have put in thousands of miles with me
over the last 8 years. Best running partner I could possibly have.
It's actually how I came to Sprint Triathlons.
A couple years ago I added a road bike to my
routine, 2 or 3 mornings a week. but she still expected her run when I returned home.
Made no difference to her that I had just put in 20 miles on the bike.
So I've always pulled off my cleats and put on my running shoes.

Three weeks ago she broke her leg while treeing some squirrels during one of our runs.
Just to take things to a ridiculous level, my wife purchased a jogging carriage for me
to put her in.
She still "runs" with me daily. I do get some funny looks from passersby as her cast really
isn't visible inside the carriage.
Much respect to moms that push their babies in strollers. I quickly learned pushing a 70 lb
dog is quite the workout.

(photo 4.jpg)

(photo (2).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
photo 4.jpg (67KB - 18 downloads)
photo (2).jpg (59KB - 23 downloads)
2013-10-09 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL

All this talk of dogs has me Jonesing for one again. If I weren't unsure about where I will be doing my PhD I would have one by the end of the week!

Found this guide on Livestrong: http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/557713-the-best-dog-breeds-for-...

2013-10-09 5:05 PM
in reply to: desertchica

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
My hubby

If I had just one wish, just a single one, I'd wish for this word to be removed from everyone's vocabulary. He's a grown man, not a fluffy cute animal. Jebus!

2013-10-09 5:50 PM
in reply to: FLChris

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Originally posted by FLChris Run with my dog everyday, she must have put in thousands of miles with me over the last 8 years. Best running partner I could possibly have. It's actually how I came to Sprint Triathlons. A couple years ago I added a road bike to my routine, 2 or 3 mornings a week. but she still expected her run when I returned home. Made no difference to her that I had just put in 20 miles on the bike. So I've always pulled off my cleats and put on my running shoes. Three weeks ago she broke her leg while treeing some squirrels during one of our runs. Just to take things to a ridiculous level, my wife purchased a jogging carriage for me to put her in. She still "runs" with me daily. I do get some funny looks from passersby as her cast really isn't visible inside the carriage. Much respect to moms that push their babies in strollers. I quickly learned pushing a 70 lb dog is quite the workout.
That's awesome!

2013-10-09 6:13 PM

User image

Pro

Sadly, my 11 year old border collie, who has been a perfect running companion for years, is now getting arthritis and comes back from runs limping.  Mommy won't let me take him on long ones any more.  But, other than that- he runs off leash.   never chases a squirrel, bunny or other dog.  Stays away from the Javelina and snakes.  Listens to my commands.  "Turn right", "Turn left", "Go straight", "Cross".   He stays to my right on the shoulder and never runs on the road (any more- that took a while).  he's just the best.  In his younger years, there was no limit to the distance he could run.  I recall one day when I went 23 miles.  He came home, and was eager to go out with my wife, who jogged another 3 or 4 (she's not as crazy as I).  

We've got a new 2 year old dog now (after we put down our sweet old 16 year old dog, who used to be a pretty good running partner in his younger days).  The new one doesn't listen so well and pulls on the leash back and forth constantly.  I've got to train him.  It's gonna' take a while.  Let's see if he's got what it takes.  Open to training tips.

2013-10-09 6:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by morey000

Sadly, my 11 year old border collie, who has been a perfect running companion for years, is now getting arthritis and comes back from runs limping.  Mommy won't let me take him on long ones any more.  But, other than that- he runs off leash.   never chases a squirrel, bunny or other dog.  Stays away from the Javelina and snakes.  Listens to my commands.  "Turn right", "Turn left", "Go straight", "Cross".   He stays to my right on the shoulder and never runs on the road (any more- that took a while).  he's just the best.  In his younger years, there was no limit to the distance he could run.  I recall one day when I went 23 miles.  He came home, and was eager to go out with my wife, who jogged another 3 or 4 (she's not as crazy as I).  

We've got a new 2 year old dog now (after we put down our sweet old 16 year old dog, who used to be a pretty good running partner in his younger days).  The new one doesn't listen so well and pulls on the leash back and forth constantly.  I've got to train him.  It's gonna' take a while.  Let's see if he's got what it takes.  Open to training tips.

Take your young pup and your older dog on short runs together. The pup will learn far more quickly what is expected from him from the older dog. You will still have to put in some work but it will be easier than doing it all yourself.

My 18 month old mastiff is very slowly building up her running ability she will never be a log run partner but she is up to about 5 minutes now.

Edited by StaceyK 2013-10-09 6:43 PM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (41KB - 18 downloads)
2013-10-09 10:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

We have a 2-1/2yr old Lab.  She's done a lot of 3mi jog/walks with my wife over the summer.  The runs I've taken her on have been no more than 1.5mi yet.  In those runs I've taken her on, I've run on the low end of my normal Z2 pace.  This varies from 7:45-8:00/mi depending on the day.  She's had essentially no problems with these shorter runs at that pace.  Do you all alter (ie, slow down) your pace when running with your dog?  Or, would you instead keep your pace and just run the dog shorter (until he/she can keep up for greater lengths)?

Edited by dbrook1 2013-10-09 10:05 PM

(DSC_1874-2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
DSC_1874-2.jpg (210KB - 17 downloads)
2013-10-10 1:41 AM
in reply to: FLChris

User image

, California
Originally posted by FLChris

Run with my dog everyday, she must have put in thousands of miles with me
over the last 8 years. Best running partner I could possibly have.
It's actually how I came to Sprint Triathlons.
A couple years ago I added a road bike to my
routine, 2 or 3 mornings a week. but she still expected her run when I returned home.
Made no difference to her that I had just put in 20 miles on the bike.
So I've always pulled off my cleats and put on my running shoes.

Three weeks ago she broke her leg while treeing some squirrels during one of our runs.
Just to take things to a ridiculous level, my wife purchased a jogging carriage for me
to put her in.
She still "runs" with me daily. I do get some funny looks from passersby as her cast really
isn't visible inside the carriage.
Much respect to moms that push their babies in strollers. I quickly learned pushing a 70 lb
dog is quite the workout.

Oh my goodness- I Love it! What an awesome dog dad.
2013-10-10 8:18 AM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by dbrook1

We have a 2-1/2yr old Lab.  She's done a lot of 3mi jog/walks with my wife over the summer.  The runs I've taken her on have been no more than 1.5mi yet.  In those runs I've taken her on, I've run on the low end of my normal Z2 pace.  This varies from 7:45-8:00/mi depending on the day.  She's had essentially no problems with these shorter runs at that pace.  Do you all alter (ie, slow down) your pace when running with your dog?  Or, would you instead keep your pace and just run the dog shorter (until he/she can keep up for greater lengths)?

I run my pace and let him keep up, which is really only a trot for him when I'm at my typical 8-9 minute pace. My dog breaks into a slow run when I do intervals and get into the low 6's. Only difference running with the dog is the potty breaks.

2013-10-10 9:18 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Centennial CO
My vet told me to give my dog a baby aspirin a day to keep the arthritis at bay. I also don't adjust my pace for my dogs sake. I can't run that fast
2013-10-10 12:04 PM

User image

Master
PNW
This thread has inspired me to start training my dog for running.

I got our newest dog as a run partner - chose her breed specifically for it since our other two mutts are not runners. She's a giant schnoodle and freakishly smart. I started training her right away with walks at about 6 months old but then she tripped me (not while walking) and I ended up in surgery and PT for a year. Now that I'm running again, the dog is full grown (she'll be 2 on Saturday) and she is WAY too fast, too tall and almost too strong for me. Plus, she's obsessed with birds. But, I know that if I spend the time training her, she'll figure it out. I've been lazy about committing to it and I've been putting it off.

No more! Now that the temps have dropped, it's time she starts running with me. It'll be a long time before she can do my long runs with me but there is no reason she can't start with the shorter ones!
2013-10-10 3:42 PM
in reply to: GLC1968

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I am jealous of those of you that can run with your dogs.

I can barely get my greyhound out of the house to go for a walk. Good thing she's so cute

(IMG_20130828_091020_797.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20130828_091020_797.jpg (88KB - 20 downloads)
2013-10-10 4:53 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Found a photo of my dog after his 1st 4 mile trail run in June. Fall has arrived in FL and he really wanted to run today but it was only a short easy run day for me. 

2013-10-10 5:42 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I run with Ali, my 3 year old golden retriever as much as I can.

All my research pointed to not running the dog until she was at least 1 year old. It is too hard on their bones and joints to run them before they are fully grown. Between the pavement and the distance it is just not good for them. 

If we have a lot of time off of running she has to build mileage just like I do, so if your dog is not used to running don't expect them to go run 3 miles right off. They will most likely do it but it can hurt them.

I don't run with a leash unless I have to but my dog responds very well to verbal commands and will stay right where she would be if on a leash when I tell her to. For me I like to keep her on my left. I run facing oncoming traffic, this puts me between her and any cars that come our way. I can move closer to the line and push her off on to the shoulder when I see a car coming. If she was on my right I wouldn't have as much control over her darting across the road after something and into traffic. 

To train we started with a leash. I say stay away from the harness idea until they are well trained. I use a choke collar as advised by a local dog trainer. The collar is not intended to choke them it is intended to get their attention. Ali's choke collar is metal and makes noise when it tightens up. It hangs completely slack 95% of the time. If she starts to walk too far ahead it will start to tighten, as soon as she hears that noise she backs off a bit. If I need to correct her or get her attention away from an oncoming dog or something I can give a quick tug on the leash and just the sound of the collar tightening is enough for her to pay attention to me so I can correct her behavior. I have never choked her or kept consistent pressure on the collar, just quick pulls when necessary to correct or get attention, the rest of the time the collar and the leash are slack. It works great!

Anyway, my dog is awesome, very smart and very eager to behave and she likes routine so we really don't ever have any disciplinary issues. But I raised her from a pup to be that way and don't let her get away with stuff she knows she isn't supposed to do. I subscribe to the dogs are pack animals and they need a strong leader idea, if the owner will take that role both the dog and owner are happier and more at ease. Because we both know what the expectations are we get along famously and she is truly my best friend, we are always happy to spend time together and she never frustrates me. 

So OP, I would hold off until your dog is a bit older, then start them slow and with the proper technique from the start and you will enjoy many happy miles together.

2013-10-10 5:47 PM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

NC
Originally posted by Dnn

My hubby

If I had just one wish, just a single one, I'd wish for this word to be removed from everyone's vocabulary. He's a grown man, not a fluffy cute animal. Jebus!

Well, while I agree with you about the use of the term, I'm going to need to see a picture before I can say with certainty that he's not a fluffy cute animal.

2013-10-10 7:23 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Pro
Burbs

I wanted to get my cat a leash so we could run together.

My husband vetoed the idea Surprised

2013-10-11 7:11 AM

User image

I run my pace and let him keep up, which is really only a trot for him when I'm at my typical 8-9 minute pace. My dog breaks into a slow run when I do intervals and get into the low 6's. Only difference running with the dog is the potty breaks.

Yours or the dog's? Surprised

2013-10-11 7:36 AM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Exton, PA

Yours or the dog's? Surprised

The dog of course, I pee'd on the swim and the Bike
2013-10-11 12:51 PM

User image

my dog (German shepherd) used to love going running with me, until one day when we were out there and a car came really close to the curb and spooked him - now he's like nope, no thanks...and i'm slowly working on getting him out there...we do walks - about half mile from the house and turn around and slowly extending it...

I miss running with him because he was always good for 5-6 miles and then we would go and play frisbee

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running with dog Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

running with dog

Started by jessicadawn
Views: 1512 Posts: 23

2008-01-18 2:39 PM Roaddoc

running with dogs.. im getting a puppy :)

Started by ArmyPiglet
Views: 1199 Posts: 11

2007-03-19 8:36 PM scoobysdad

Running and dogs

Started by Pete10
Views: 1056 Posts: 13

2007-01-10 7:13 AM Birkierunner

Running your Dog Pages: 1 2

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 2289 Posts: 42

2005-12-17 10:48 PM bradword

Running with Dogs II

Started by tbern
Views: 681 Posts: 3

2005-03-09 10:37 AM tbern
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
comments : 0
Kona 2006 finishline triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog.
date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
Kona 2006 Swim Exit triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog

date : January 1, 2008
author : YourYoga
The focus for this second session are the Sun Salutations that are comprised of 12 poses that flow from one to another, repeated four times.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.