General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How often do you *almost* get killed while out on a ride or run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-05 4:53 PM

User image

Subject: How often do you *almost* get killed while out on a ride or run?
Here in NJ most of my rides are on 2 lane county roads that are lined with plenty of intersections, driveways and stores. Yesterdays ride I felt like I was riding with a target on my back. Between people zooming out of gas stations, rolling through stop signs and backing out of driveways there were at least a dozen times that could have put me in the wagon with the flashing lights. Add to that the people who you are sure see you but keep edging up to make a left turn or stop at the last minute and that puts my HR monitor Z4 unnecessarily. I know i'm not alone but I had to vent.

Be safe!

Keba

2013-10-05 5:11 PM
in reply to: KebaNYC

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: How often do you *almost* get killed while out on a ride or run?
At least once every other week. And more often when I am running! Really starting to spend more time on the trainer with about 2 outdoor rides at the most.
2013-10-05 6:11 PM
in reply to: gordongecko

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Riding--pretty much every time. Either that or I see someone else almost get killed or, unfortunately, someone who's been killed, being killed, or likely to be killed soon. You can probably search Saigon traffic on Youtube and see a video that would explain what I mean. I commute about a mile to work by bike and pretty much every day somebody does something idiotic that could potentially put my life in danger if I wasn't 100% alert. The main offenders are running red lights (about 30% of cars and 70% of motorbikes), left turns without stopping on red (everyone), sudden U-turns in the middle of busy intersections (everyone), and motorbikes riding at high speed on the wrong side of the street (everyone). I literally see a fatal accident or its aftermath at least once a week. Motorbike on motorbike crashes can be messy but usually not fatal; motorbikes and car often is. A teacher at a nearby school died a few weeks ago in a crash, commuting to work on a nearby road. It's the main reason I don't like biking and do most of it in an industrial park or on the trainer.

Running--not so often. I run very early AM and traffic is light until the end of my run. It's also mainly on residential streets. I cross a few busy streets but I'm very, very cautious. I walk across, because drivers/riders aren't used to runners (or road bikes) and can't predict their speed properly. No one here ever, ever slows down, much less stops, for a pedestrian or runner crossing the street, even at a light/crosswalk. It's just your job to get out of the way.
2013-10-05 6:19 PM

User image

Bike every other ride, run one per week. One of my last runs out on a week night with a friend so I am in the street. We're running against traffic and I see a car coming and slowly start drifting over perfectly tracking for me. I jump onto the curb, yell and the car swerves at the last second. Close enough for me to touch. I swear it was on purpose. I'm embracing the trainer more these days.
2013-10-05 6:25 PM

User image

, California
Probably every third time or so on the bike. Yesterday was one where I think the guy in the white SUV just wanted to make a point to be a DB. I was turning left at a three way stop and of course he had to step on it and get right behind me before I made it through the intersection. Luckily there was a right turnout or I think he would have hit me. It's either that or the cars that play chicken with their rear view mirrors and your shoulder. I have felt like writing a letter to our local paper and explaining that we are not some random people out and about riding in the street with the primary goal of slowing motorist down. We go to the same kids soccer games, FNL and see each other in the drop off line at school. I may do it. I doubt if it would make a difference, but it might make me feel better - than a target anyway.
2013-10-05 7:50 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hot Runner . Either that or I see someone else almost get killed or, unfortunately, someone who's been killed, being killed, or likely to be killed soon.

HA!!!  It's really not funny....but reading it as you wrote it cracked me up.  Laughing

2013-10-05 8:24 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Everytime! My rubber touches concrete I'm already at risk for my life. Everytime i ride there's countless idiots out there who drives while talking on the phone and refuse to stop on signs. I can't wait until the law makers sign it into law to ban driving while on the phone.
2013-10-05 8:50 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Running: almost every run I'm not running on a trail at a lake around here. When I do my 4-9 mile runs around my house, I there's definitely a higher number of runs where I almost got run over than ones I did not.

Biking: Never anymore. I bike on bike trails exclusively now or on the trainer. There's only so much I can take. Even had a few times where some in a truck was aiming for me and then yelling at me, while on the shoulder.

Truck drivers seem to be the worst for biking. For running, its anyone.
2013-10-05 10:38 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
My fear is getting run over from behind and the reason I am too scared to bike on major roads. Cars always win. I bike on trails and usually run on trails.
2013-10-06 12:47 AM

User image

, California
So interesting the run vs bike. I have no issues with running but the bike was my main fear and still is. I try and bike a route with the least amount of traffic. But, as I contemplate training for an Oly, I know I will have to bike on more trafficked roads and that really scares me. It is amazing that I can think of swimming in rip tides, big waves and over coming sting rays in our OW swims, but it is still biking on the open road that truly scares me.
2013-10-06 3:53 AM
in reply to: Trbilbao

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Never, I try not to ride or run where there is traffic. I see people running or riding on the main road (where the speed limit is 90k an hour and most people drive 120kph) and I always ask myself if they have a death wish. So now I can ask, why do you put yourselves at risk like that?

2013-10-06 5:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Reading other replies, I must be lucky!

Half my ride is on a dedicated bike path with almost no obstructions, and no crossing cars, clear view far ahead, only one roundabout that's a bit tricky because one way cyclists are led against the flow and cars seem not to be aware.

The other half is on a road with a wide strip off the lane ideal for cyclists, and there are so many cyclists riding there that cars are aware, yet sometimes annoyed. While they rarely keep the 1.5m safety distance I haven't had my life flash before my eyes. Only twice this year have I had the sensation that it was a close call. In both occasions it was somebody coming against me overtaking other cars. Seems like they don't see the cyclists when they decide to overtake.

Running, I run in a park, the main threat is other people crossing as they like completely unaware of the zillion runners running the perimeter 24x7.
2013-10-06 9:21 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Veteran
Great White North
That is a pretty irrational fear IMO. You are far more likely to have someone turn across your path without seeing you than hitting you from behind.
2013-10-06 9:26 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Veteran
Great White North
High speed limit does not matter as much as road geometry ... I ride Hwy 1a from Calgary to Cochrane as well as the adjacent country roads. Far more close calls on a 2 lane road with a narrow shoulder. 1A has a massive shoulder and has had very few fatal accidents over the years. The well known one happened due to a driver having medical issue loosing control crossing over and striking Jason Lapierre.
2013-10-06 9:40 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Expert
Floriduh
This is exactly why most of my bike time is now on the trainer. Less of a statistical likelihood of getting killed if I spend less time on the road. As far as running, I live in a subdivision where people really do stick to the 25 mph speed limit so as long as I don't wander too far from home I don't feel at risk out running. Does make the scenery a bit repetitive but rather bored than dead. I have taken to wearing bright clothes and blinking lights for my night runs.
2013-10-06 9:50 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

I live in japan so pretty much everytime I go near a road. The other day I got "tapped" by a truck, and tonight I was almost bit by a snake. Fun times

2013-10-06 7:35 PM

User image

Orange, CA
Thankfully I don't seem to almost get killed nearly as often as the rest of you. I've never had any real issues while running. Maybe once a month I have a situation with a car where I actually feel like I was in danger vs just being annoyed at them for being stupid or inconsiderate. I think I have just as many issues with fellow cyclists being jackasses. I don't care if you are in a peloton, that doesn't give you the right to break the law and force me off the road and into traffic. Peloton riders are the worst. Yes, I am looking at you!
2013-10-06 9:05 PM
in reply to: gordongecko

Veteran
Originally posted by gordongecko

At least once every other week. And more often when I am running! Really starting to spend more time on the trainer with about 2 outdoor rides at the most.

I have been hit twice on my bike, one time it destroyed my bike, I could hardly move for three days, and the A hole that ran a stop sign and hit me was a big wig at the hospital so I didn't get S for care either as the "doctor" was more worried about being buddies with the bigwig than actually caring for a patient (thank god I knew which doc wasn't part of the narci god's club). one month later, same intersection, this time big wig's drinking buddy. laid down my bike, but no impact this time. another ride, someone's dog was loose and attempted to chase my riding buddy, deciding he wasn't going to catch him, turned around right in front of me and I ended up running him over with my front tire, and he got stuck in my crank. dog did have tags. the owner was yet another doctor. I find doctor's detrimental to my riding health. I moved - haven't seen a doctor since. :-)

other than doctor overrun town, I have found there are a lot more near hits when out running as people turn into driveways and parking lots from the street with their phone plastered up on their face so they don't see me ala the major blind spot they create for themselves.
2013-10-07 12:06 AM

Just got doored and fell in to traffic. That was my greatest fear. Not sure if I can commute again.
2013-10-07 6:37 AM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
I have to say, it was much safer out there prior to cell phones .. a total ban while driving is legislation I can totally get behind.

It just seems whenever the "almost get killed" scenario happens to me, the perpetrator has his/her fingers all over their beloved electronic device.

It seems people get in their cars and drive around just so they can talk/text on the phone ...
2013-10-07 8:22 AM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

As mentioned in another thread, I'm lucky to live in the suburbs when is comes to cycling. Especially in Florida. However, that doesn't make riding 100% safe. Not even 75% safe. I'm still dodging cars every time that I go out. And what's worse is that you'd expect the Central Florida vehicle of choice (large SUVs and jacked up trucks) to be the scariest. But, it's the Priuses that don't move over, run stop lights/signs, and cut me off every time.

For this reason, I like to ride before sunrise. Fewer cars and I can see their headlights coming from behind. I'm also a rolling rave. With flashing lights and neon up the wazoo.

2013-10-07 8:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I don't live in a major city. I guess most would call it suburbs. I'm close to country roads, but I also ride on busy roads often. I've also bike raced for several years with a team.

Over some 35 years, I've never hit pavement because of a motor vehicle. Other bikes? Sure. Never a car. And I doubt that I live a charmed life. I feel much more threatened by the erratic traffic on the local MUT than I do on the road.

"Bubble of awareness" is what it's all about, and acting like traffic, being predictable, following the rules of the road, being conspicuous.

Almost killed? Never. People have done stupid stuff, for sure, and I've had people "almost" make a left turn towards me. Passing close doesn't bother me too much as long as they're not laying on the horn at the same time.

Edited by briderdt 2013-10-07 8:37 AM
2013-10-07 8:52 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I really hate the answer of "it depends", but lately with the sunset happening earlier and the sunrise happening later, I'm riding more in the dark than I'm comfortable with.  I do have bright ligts on the front and the back so I sometimes think drivers see that better then the guy on his bike.  Not sure but I try to stay on county roads that I know are biker friendly.  Luckily I'm only about a 2 mile ride from my house to get to those roads. 

Now running is a totally different story.  I have my head on a constant swivel when running.  This past Saturday I almost got creamed.  I saw it coming and was able to react thankfully. 

WARNING!!!  The following statements are being made by a runner who faced a near death experience and is still a little shaken up by it:

So like I said on Saturday I was running.  5:30 AM.  Still dark. 40 degrees.  Windy as heck. Light mist coming down.  One of my routes I take goes along a stretch of road that has a McDonalds, tobacco store, and donut store all within about 2 blocks.   I saw this car pull out of the McD's drive up, speed down the road towards me, and whip into the donut shop.  No blinkers and was already stuffing her face with her McD's sandwhich.  No way she could see me over the sandwhich wrapper and god forbid anyone slowing down the donut shop visit.  At least I saw her coming and just stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. 

When I was younger I may have said something like:  "Don't worry fat arse the donut shop will still be there when you are done stuffing your throat with your McMuffin sandwhich"  

Now a days I just told her to please watch the road. 

She was really bitc hy about it too. 

2013-10-07 9:01 AM
in reply to: rventuri

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by rventuri I have to say, it was much safer out there prior to cell phones .. a total ban while driving is legislation I can totally get behind. It just seems whenever the "almost get killed" scenario happens to me, the perpetrator has his/her fingers all over their beloved electronic device. It seems people get in their cars and drive around just so they can talk/text on the phone ...

x2.  Mobile phones are a real menace now.  I especially love the diagonal parking job in the no stopping zone executed by someone who feels they are texting safely.

2013-10-07 9:13 AM

For me it is pretty often while running. I run in a somewhat urban / CBD area and I cannot count how many times I see people a) texting and swerving all over and b) coming in hot to a stop sign or a light looking to turn right but NEVER looking right before turning. They are only looking left to see traffic coming that way. When I am coming up on cars sitting at stop signs or lights I always look at the drivers and their eyes to make sure I can anticipate what they are about to do. I've also had several just doing slow rolls up to the sign or cross way as I am running across an entrance / exit and not even pay attention to me. I'm not afraid to yell at them, throw my hands up, wag my finger, or smack the hood of their car to get them to pay attention. I like to think of it as providing a public service to educate drivers they need to be aware at all times.

For cycling I have noticed some VERY aggressive drivers who like to "buzz the tower" as if they are proving a point but overall it isn't too bad. I'm still very careful while out there and try to avoid roads as much as possible unless there are other cyclists out there too. Never go solo.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How often do you *almost* get killed while out on a ride or run? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I almost killed my self!!!

Started by jon16817
Views: 1523 Posts: 12

2012-04-08 11:25 PM djake80

profile design aerobars almost killed me

Started by jmio
Views: 1664 Posts: 9

2010-09-21 6:17 AM Pector55

Getting sick more often...

Started by SweetK
Views: 1167 Posts: 17

2006-09-25 8:18 AM jeanneroth

Jerk in SUV almost kills me!

Started by Guru
Views: 1560 Posts: 20

2006-09-10 9:10 PM MikeTheBear

Almost got killed by............

Started by cobannero
Views: 1255 Posts: 16

2005-04-21 11:47 PM maddog62
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout