General Discussion Race Reports! » Star City CX Revenge of Captain Seacrest Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Star City CX Revenge of Captain Seacrest - Cycle

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lincoln, Nebraska
United States
80F / 27C
Total Time = 30m
Overall Rank = 0/8
Age Group = 19-99
Age Group Rank = 0/8
Pre-race routine:

Had a pre-workout drink on the drive to the race.
Event warmup:

Drove traight from work just in time to line up for the start.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 6 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

It was my husband & my anniversary, so we both raced it.

The women start 30ish seconds behind the men. I hoped to catch up to my husband during the race. Started with my usual sprint to the chute (funny to say "usual" as this is only my 2nd cx race) and was the first one in. Peddling hard, breathing hard. When I popped out after lap #1 I was surprised to see my dad on the sidelines. I had no idea he was going to be in town!

I enjoyed hearing lots of people I know cheering for me and telling me I was gaining on my husband. Slide out on a turn during the 3rd lap, but popped back up on the bike pretty quickly and was off. Only to end up with a DNR! On the last section of the 3rd lap, I had a great lead on the women's group when my back brake suddenly decided to activate and not let go. I tried everything to get the brake to release with no luck. Debated unhooking the brake (I've raced w/o a front brake before) but decided that was just too dangerous. I've gone over the front handlebars by using just a front brake. Not fun. Decided there was no way I could knock out the last 2 laps and left the course.

Turned out my back wheel/axel had gotten cock-eyed. This was caused by not mounting it tight enough onto the bike. My fault. Not an issue with standard biking, but with all the turns in cross it causes a problem. A bike mechanic knew what it was and fixed it in 5 seconds. Lesson learned. At least I know how to quickly fix it should it happen again.

Very disappointing to DNR. I would have been fine with getting my butt kicked by athletes better than myself, but causing my own failure just stinks.
What would you do differently?:

Tighten the quick release on my wheels before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't really have one. Just chatted with so many people I knew and didn't know who were talking to me. Then we had to jet and feed the kids for our anniversary dinner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My back wheel.

Event comments:

Fun local race. Highly recommend it to anyone interested in trying cyclocross. Very non-intimidating atmosphere.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-10-05 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 06 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/8
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-05 6:37 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Subject: Star City CX Revenge of Captain Seacrest

2013-10-06 6:39 AM
in reply to: #4871604

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Star City CX Revenge of Captain Seacrest
Crissy dorry about the DNF. Sounds like you were kicking butt until the brake problems. Did your husband enjoy the race? By the way great pics!
2013-10-06 7:17 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Subject: RE: Star City CX Revenge of Captain Seacrest
Emile, he did enjoy it. He said it was really hard, but he's going to do it again next week with me. Next week's race is going to be really hard - on a big hill. Dreading the up portions of the race! Turns will be tougher too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Star City CX Revenge of Captain Seacrest Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Star City CX Seacrest Park

Started by crissy_jo
Views: 500 Posts: 1

2013-10-05 3:05 PM crissy_jo

Star City Half Marathon

Started by tlr
Views: 911 Posts: 1

2011-11-20 6:13 AM tlr

Bright Star UMC Run to the Star 5K

Started by tri_d00d
Views: 1100 Posts: 3