General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Marine Corps 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jacksonville Marine Corps 1/2 Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jacksonville, Florida
United States
1st Place Sports Running
Total Time = 1h 56m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = w30-34
Age Group Rank = 28/161
Pre-race routine:

2 hour drive to race
Event warmup:

stretching
Run
  • 1h 56m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile went slow. All the half marathoners and 5kers were together. The first mile went through downtown, passing a Maxwell House coffee factory which smelled delicious. A little after mile one the 5kers split off and we approached the first bridge. The first bridge isn't that bad, up and over without a hitch. Some more running downtown and the course approaches the monster, a huge, steep overpass. Up to the top seemed to drag on. My legs were burning. Made it to the peak and had a nice run down it. After this the course was flat. made it to the 10k point in 54 minutes, slow for me but I was being conservative today. Around mile 8 my legs were really starting to ache. I felt like I had bricks zip tied to my calves. I told myself to suck it up, still 5 miles to go.

Heading into the Jacksonville Landing, I was getting tired and really starting to hurt, I told myself just a 5k to go. At mile 11.5 we ran up the long wheelchair ramp and down the pedestrian helix. Looking at my watch I knew if I just kept running I would meet my goal for the day. My pace dropped of dramatically, my legs were so heavy. I just wanted to be done. The last half mile stretch on Gator Bowl Blvd before the finishing chute seemed never ending. Finally I made the turn into Metropolitan Park that served as the finishing chute. I saw my family and for the first time ever in a race, I slowed down to smile and wave at them, and approached them to get some love and high fives. This was so worth losing a few second. My family supports me so much in everything I do. I crossed the finish line and a marine quickly put a medal around my neck.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, best I could do at the moment
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with family and friends

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did Ironman Louisville a month ago

Event comments:

1st Place Sports always put on the best running races

Last updated: 2013-08-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:56:06 | 13.1 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/161
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back with 2 bridge crossings
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-07 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: Jacksonville Marine Corps 1/2 Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Marine Corps 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jacksonville Marine Corps 1/2 Marathon

Started by jillian_o
Views: 1036 Posts: 3

2011-12-02 6:07 PM TriFlorida

Started by msmegganann
Views: 1285 Posts: 1

2008-05-28 4:05 PM msmegganann

Started by Mike 45
Views: 1195 Posts: 4

2007-10-09 3:48 AM spokes

Started by shhtri
Views: 1516 Posts: 1

2006-10-07 1:00 PM shhtri

Started by Mike 45
Views: 1376 Posts: 5

2006-10-09 7:08 AM Scout7
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 1
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"
date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!

date : September 26, 2004
author : Browe79
This man’s story was so inspiring that my brother and I committed to doing an Ironman by the time we turned thirty.