General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I want a tri bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-07 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Do I want a tri bike?
I intentionally worded that as an impossible to amswer question..... So here's what I really mean.

Should I jump on this opportunity?

I am meeting up with a local guy to look at a tri bike tomorrow night. It was parked at a small event I did Saturday with a sale sign, but I got in too late to check it out. I got ahold of the seller. It's priced insanely good, if I have any sense of what I am looking at. I'm taking it out for a test tomorrow.

so here's my hesitation, even though it's a price I rarely ever see for a bike like this, it's still a not-insignificant investment for me. But if it's going to be worth it, I will swing it.

Here's why I am not sure yet..l am primarily thinking ahead to IM Mont-Tremblant. I have never cnsidered a tri bike before, so I don't really know the intricacies of the differences. I get that you get aero for flat rides. But is a tri bike "rideable" on the hills, if not in aero position? I wouldn't want to invest in something totally useless to me for my big race. I do have the bike leg of Challenge AC as a relay team member, so I know it would be awesome there.

So really, I am looking for you enablers to talk me into buying this bike. But I want to be realistic about where I could use it. I live in Central Pa where flats are nearly nonexisent, but small rollers, false flats and short steep climbs are the norm.

Edited by TheClaaaw 2013-10-07 9:41 AM

2013-10-07 9:57 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Subject: RE: Do I want a tri bike?

Yes!

You'll get some techinical advice from the bike guru's about making sure it fits or else it's not a deal and probably a discussion on tri bikes + hills.  I'll leave that to the pro's.

I'll say that if it's comfortable and you can measure yourself before and the bike is the right size + it's a really good deal then buy it.  I have passed on two great deals and wish I could get a do over.

The AC bike will be flat and fast.  It could be a little windy on the expressway but when you get into the sand barrons I think you'll be happy you got a tri bike.

2013-10-07 10:01 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by TheClaaaw I intentionally worded that as an impossible to amswer question..... So here's what I really mean.

I am meeting up with a local guy to look at a tri bike tomorrow night. It was parked at a small event I did Saturday with a sale sign, but I got in too late to check it out. I got ahold of the seller. It's priced insanely good, if I have any sense of what I am looking at. I'm taking it out for a test tomorrow.

so here's my hesitation, even though it's a price I rarely ever see for a bike like this, it's still a not-insignificant investment for me. But if it's going to be worth it, I will swing it.

Here's why I am not sure yet..l am primarily thinking ahead to IM Mont-Tremblant. I have never cnsidered a tri bike before, so I don't really know the intricacies of the differences. I get that you get aero for flat rides. But is a tri bike "rideable" on the hills, if not in aero position? I wouldn't want to invest in something totally useless to me for my big race. I do have the bike leg of Challenge AC as a relay team member, so I know it would be awesome there.

So really, I am looking for you enablers to talk me into buying this bike. But I want to be realistic about where I could use it. I live in Central Pa where flats are nearly nonexisent, but small rollers, false flats and short steep climbs are the norm.

Make sure it's not stolen.

2013-10-07 10:02 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by TheClaaaw I intentionally worded that as an impossible to amswer question..... So here's what I really mean.

or pick and choose your morals wisely

2013-10-07 10:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

Originally posted by Left Brain

or pick and choose your morals wisely

Good point, but I am pretty safe on this one. The area I live in has few triathletes, and pretty much everyone knows each other. The seller runs a kayak rental business here. I know personally how well people remember a missing/stoken bike. My bike that went missing last summer was remembered by every shop I contacted a year later. Considering how few TT bikes you see around here, a hot bike would definitely catch attention on display at a race.

The price may be right on for used, really. It's $750. I just know to put together something ike this even at lowest level, I'd be looking at 1500 and up. I would bet this was 2k plus, brand new.

Edited by TheClaaaw 2013-10-07 10:13 AM

in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I got my first Tri-Bike last year as a Christmas gift. So far, I have felt that I have gone faster on my tri bike then my roadie. One thing about the tri bike is getting used to the aero position. I have had it for almost a year and I am still getting used to it. Yesterday I did my first HIM and the bike leg was very hilly and I used my tri bike. I only got into aero a few times but riding on the hoods I was still comfortable. It is all about personal preference so if it fits, the price is right then Why not?

Oh and Just be careful when driving with it attached to your bike rack

User image

NC
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

• .. it's still a not-insignificant investment for me.

• I haven't been able to convince myself that the investment is worth it. To me. I'm perfectly happy with my road bike. I just ride a lot more than I race, usually with a group. My next bike with either be a mountain or cross bike.

2013-10-07 10:26 AM
    in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Master
    Sunbury, Pennsylvania
    Originally posted by Goosedog

• .. it's still a not-insignificant investment for me.

• I haven't been able to convince myself that the investment is worth it. To me. I'm perfectly happy with my road bike. I just ride a lot more than I race, usually with a group. My next bike with either be a mountain or cross bike.

It's less than I paid for my road bike originally. I'm wondering if it makes any sense to make it my only bike. i don't do group rides. I am currently on a bike that was given to me through a famous thread here n BT, and even though the giver said no strings, it's all mine, I still feel like I need to find a way to replace it and pay it forward. I'm torn.

2013-10-07 10:55 AM

User image

Champion
    Sarasota, FL

Andrew,

Putting aside all the "does it fit?" comments that are sure to follow, if a new bike would make racing or training more enjoyable and you can swing it without missing a mortgage payment, or not feeding your family for a couple of weeks, then go for it.

But...from a more rational perspective:

We suffer from the same issue in that our physiques don't permit us to get into low, flat-backed, aggressive aero positions.  If you are forced to use a more upright position, then it negates some of the benefit of the tri bike. 

Secondly, the more slack angle of a road frame is going to help more with your climbing.  I  prefer the multiple hand positions that a road bike with clip-on aero bars provides.  Besides the aerobars, I can ride on the hoods, top of the bar or the drops.  Personally I prefer to ride on the hoods on steep climbs and like the stability of the drops on fast descents. 

My current bike (a Cannondale CAAD7 with clip-on aerobars) is faster than the ability I have to ride it.  My limiters are my conditioning and my physique, both of which I have a degree of control over by riding more (& harder) and eating less (& heathier).  One of my core objectives/motivators is get to the point where my bike is a limiter; at that point I'll be looking for a new ride. 

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Mark

2013-10-07 12:27 PM

User image

Elite
    PEI, Canada

I won't comment on whether or not it's the right choice for you but I'll just single this part out.  I would say 80-90% of the IMMT course is riding in the aerobars.  Most of the climbing is not sustained but rather a constant series of short hills where you will get in and out of the aerobars for the 10k section of hills.  The descents are not technical at all.

If your concern for the course is whether or not a Tri bike is appropriate for that course, the answer is yes.

2013-10-07 12:53 PM
    in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Originally posted by axteraa

I won't comment on whether or not it's the right choice for you but I'll just single this part out.  I would say 80-90% of the IMMT course is riding in the aerobars.  Most of the climbing is not sustained but rather a constant series of short hills where you will get in and out of the aerobars for the 10k section of hills.  The descents are not technical at all.

If your concern for the course is whether or not a Tri bike is appropriate for that course, the answer is yes.

yes definitely a tri bike was the best choice for IMMT ...IMO

there were lots that used road bikes, anticipating the hills, but most of the hills are long moderate climbs / descents, aero position was dominant throughout, except the last section as noted above. Nothing wrong with a roadie there, but IMO the TT bike is going to the best for efficiency and speed.

You didn't mention the brand/model and year of the bike. I'd be concerned that it has a ton of miles on it and components are shot.
    Otherwise, why is he selling it so low ?

2013-10-07 8:10 PM
    in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
    Sunbury, Pennsylvania
    I got the specs on the bike. It is a bit larger than the bike I am on but I have discovered that my inseam is short for my overall height. I am relatively "long-waisted" so the fit might make more sense on this size. Anyway, here it is...

Trek Equinox 7 Tri Series

60cm aluminum frame

2009 model year

Shimano 105 cranks, derailleurs, shifters

Bontrager aluminum handlebar assembly

unbranded brake calipers

Bontrager Select Aero wheelset

Bontager Race Lite dual compound tires

Vetta RT77 computer with cadence

WSI Adamo racing saddle and stock Bontrager tri saddle

2013-10-07 8:18 PM

User image

Master
    Sunbury, Pennsylvania
    Just a cursory search tells me the 750 is in line with reality. The original price was 1500ish likely.
    2013-10-07 9:47 PM

User image

Master
    Kailua, Hawaii
    2013-10-07 10:18 PM
    in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
    Sunbury, Pennsylvania
    Originally posted by metafizx

did you read this review on the Equinox 7 ?

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/category/bikes/time-trial-triathlo...

Thanks for the link. I did find this review helpful as well, more understandable to me as a layman, not a major cycling aficionado. Both convince me that for the money I'd do well with this, especially since I'm a big rider.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Old_reviews/Old_bike_reviews/Ent...

2013-10-08 6:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Cypress, TX
    Originally posted by TheClaaaw I got the specs on the bike. It is a bit larger than the bike I am on but I have discovered that my inseam is short for my overall height. I am relatively "long-waisted" so the fit might make more sense on this size. Anyway, here it is...

Trek Equinox 7 Tri Series

60cm aluminum frame

2009 model year 

My first tri bike was an '09 Trek Equinox 7.  While height and inseam don't come close to telling the full story when it comes to fit, I'm 6'0" with a 34.5" inseam and rode a 56cm.  How tall are you and what's your inseam?  A 60cm is a huge bike frame.  Also, the old Equinox line fit more tall and narrow.  Tall and narrow frames are generally better suited for people who are more legs than torso.  Long and low frames are generally more suited for people that are more torso than legs.  The bike manufacturers have all moved closer to the middle over the last couple of years but back in 2009 most bikes fell on either the tall/narrow or long/low camp.  Read this ST article for reference: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Choosing_a_Tri_Bike_via_Stack_and_Reach/Long_and_low_short_and_narrow_613.html

You describe yourself as long in the torso.  Right away that makes the stock Equinox probably a less than ideal option.  That could probably be rectified by swapping out stems and bars to get the right fit but now you're talking about spending a few hundred dollars more.

Then there's the size.  People who ride 60cm frames are generally 6'4" or taller.  A person who fit well on a 60cm Equinox would be that tall with very long legs.

2013-10-08 7:13 AM
    in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
    Sunbury, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the detailed analysis. I will be checking it out tonight. I'll report back after the test. I am now skeptical.
    2013-10-08 9:48 PM

User image

Master
    Sunbury, Pennsylvania
    So, update.... i bought the bike.

I know that those of you who follow the standard fit wisdom will find this counterintuitive. But as I am not going for a position that mimics the elites, the longer frame works great for me. I still have a lot of flexibility in the aerobar placement, but as it was set up by the previous rider, it works for me so far. Meaning, it's the most comfortable I've been in that position in anything I've tried yet. -- The seat is all the way down, and the leg "reach" is just right.

I definitely wasn't thinking about a tri bike, but when the opportunity came along and it fit well, I'm glad I took it. I'll fine tune the fit over winter. I don't want to make it sound like I was going to buy it no matter what. If it didn't feel right, no go. And the seller was very concerned about the leg/pedal fit, prepared to talk me out of it until I got on the bike and we saw that it was actually a good fit.

2013-10-09 4:58 AM

User image

Expert
    Fort Riley, Kansas
    Congrats on the new bike, my first tri bike was a Trek Equinox 7, it got me through my first ironman
    2013-10-09 5:42 AM

User image

Champion
    Sarasota, FL

Congrats on the new ride.  Now get out there and ride lots!  Smile

Mark

2013-10-09 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Cypress, TX
    Originally posted by TheClaaaw So, update.... i bought the bike.

I know that those of you who follow the standard fit wisdom will find this counterintuitive. But as I am not going for a position that mimics the elites, the longer frame works great for me. I still have a lot of flexibility in the aerobar placement, but as it was set up by the previous rider, it works for me so far. Meaning, it's the most comfortable I've been in that position in anything I've tried yet. -- The seat is all the way down, and the leg "reach" is just right.

I definitely wasn't thinking about a tri bike, but when the opportunity came along and it fit well, I'm glad I took it. I'll fine tune the fit over winter. I don't want to make it sound like I was going to buy it no matter what. If it didn't feel right, no go. And the seller was very concerned about the leg/pedal fit, prepared to talk me out of it until I got on the bike and we saw that it was actually a good fit.

I know you bought the bike already so what is done is done but...

The first bolded part is troublesome.  It has nothing to do with mimicking or not mimicking an elite fit.  Sometimes pro triathletes have less than ideal fits and some amateurs have the best fits I have ever seen.  What it's about is about placing you on the best bike (in terms of fit and affordability) that will give you the best position based on your physiology.  Riding a bike two sizes too big is not ideal for anyone.  Ever.

The bolded part about saddle height confirms the bike is indeed way too big for you.  If your seat is slammed all the way down it means that your cockpit is probably actually higher than your seat which means you're riding in an extremely upright position and have therefore negated the advantage of the tri bike -- which is to get the rider into an aerodynamic position.  I have a 14cm drop from saddle to pads, which is relatively aggressive (especially for someone in their mid-40's).  Not saying you need a super aggressive position but you're going to have zero drop at best and most likely a rise from saddle to pads.  Your position will be worse than if you were to just ride your road bike.

I think you made a big mistake and you were impulsive.  I'm not saying that to be mean.  The last bolded part is two people that know nothing about bike fitting thinking they saw a good fit.  Any chance you could take a picture of you on the trainer and I'd be glad to point out why the bike is too big.  I'd like to educate you so you don't make the same mistake again.  I was (and I am) trying to be helpful.

2013-10-09 8:43 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
    Levittown, PA
    Originally posted by GMAN 19030
    Riding a bike two sizes too big is not ideal for anyone.  Ever.

The bolded part about saddle height confirms the bike is indeed way too big for you.  If your seat is slammed all the way down it means that your cockpit is probably actually higher than your seat which means you're riding in an extremely upright position and have therefore negated the advantage of the tri bike -- which is to get the rider into an aerodynamic position.  I have a 14cm drop from saddle to pads, which is relatively aggressive (especially for someone in their mid-40's).  Not saying you need a super aggressive position but you're going to have zero drop at best and most likely a rise from saddle to pads.  Your position will be worse than if you were to just ride your road bike.

I think you made a big mistake and you were impulsive.  I'm not saying that to be mean.  The last bolded part is two people that know nothing about bike fitting thinking they saw a good fit.  Any chance you could take a picture of you on the trainer and I'd be glad to point out why the bike is too big.  I'd like to educate you so you don't make the same mistake again.  I was (and I am) trying to be helpful.

I actually bought my current bike from a coworker. he is roughly 6'4 and I am 6'. Needless to say the frame is huge on me. I wasn't even sure I was going to enjoy triathlons so much, so I bought the bike for $300 from him and he said he would buy it back if I don't like it, so really I had nothing to lose. Well, what you posted above is exactly my situation........... my seat is slammed, practically sitting on the frame and my reach to the clip on aero bars is way to far. I don't have the funds right now to by a new bike so I am just continuing to use this one as it makes due for what I currently need, but I can tell for sure that I am giving away a bunch in terms of comfort and probably power with my current set up. By the way, GMAN, even though you blatantly just came out and said the person did the wrong thing by buying the bike, I think you actually made a good point. At first I thought you were going to come off as very rude, but after reading your whole statement, I think you actually were being very helpful. just my 2 cents

Claw - for what its worth, good luck with the new bike. As long as you are happy, thats what counts. Read a bunch of your race reports and you got a great attitude and drive. Good luck with the IM

Edited by spiderjunior 2013-10-09 8:45 AM
    2013-10-09 11:25 AM

User image

Champion
    Sarasota, FL
    Originally posted by GMAN 19030

I know you bought the bike already so what is done is done but...

The first bolded part is troublesome.  It has nothing to do with mimicking or not mimicking an elite fit.  Sometimes pro triathletes have less than ideal fits and some amateurs have the best fits I have ever seen.  What it's about is about placing you on the best bike (in terms of fit and affordability) that will give you the best position based on your physiology.  Riding a bike two sizes too big is not ideal for anyone.  Ever.

First of all, I really hope that the bike works out OK for Andrew.  At the end of the day, it's his money and he's the one who is going to be riding it. 

That being said, I have to agree with GMAN's critique.  If you start out with the seat all the way down you've really boxed yourself into a corner.  Maybe it will work (and for Andrew's sake I hope it does), but you've got no place to go if it doesn't. 

Mark

2013-10-09 2:39 PM

User image

Master
    Sunbury, Pennsylvania
    I appreciate your directness, no offense taken or anything. But I think you have made assumptions about the improvement from my road bike position to this one. I don't even ride the horns on my roadie. I ride nearly sitting upright s good bit of the time. I am already way lower on this bike, comfortably. I could never get this comfortable on the roadie with aerobars. I just couldn't. I may not be now, nor ever be, near an ideal position. I get that. But I improved my usual position quite a bit. And even if I didn't, i will take comfort over position. I just will. I mean, look at my rr's. I'm BOBOP. The "correct" position is a bit irrelevant for a guy who can't run a 10 minute mile on his best day. I just want to be able to finish long rides in my bars.
    2013-10-09 4:09 PM

User image

Champion
    Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by TheClaaaw  But I improved my usual position quite a bit. And even if I didn't, i will take comfort over position. I just will. I mean, look at my rr's. I'm BOBOP. The "correct" position is a bit irrelevant for a guy who can't run a 10 minute mile on his best day. I just want to be able to finish long rides in my bars.

Bingo.  The most technically aero position in the world isn't going to help if you can't bear to stay in it for more than a few minutes.

If your new bike is more comfortable and that is going to lead you to riding more & longer then that is progress.  Maybe not the "optimal" solution, but if it works for you, then that's OK.  You're going to be spending a lot of time in the saddle over the next year getting ready for your IM, so comfort is going to be critical.

I think that all the advice you've been getting here is well-intended, so hope you don't think anyone is being critical personally., They're just offering their opinions based on their own knowledge and experiences.  With my engineering background I know I tend to look at things in a somewhat more analytical and deliberate manner. 

And please don't denegrate yourself about being a BOPer.  I would have quit a long time ago is that was the only thing that mattered.  At the end of the day you're only competing against yourself and working to improve your own performance.  Lay down your best performance and let the chips fall where they may.   Triathlon is a sport where self-motivation is going to determine your results more than anything else.

So get on those new wheels and start riding.  Wear that thing out and then come back asking for advice on your next bike.

Mark 

PS-  It's manditory on BT to post pictures anytime you get a new bike...

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I want a tri bike? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Currently doing Tri's on a Hybrid Bike

Started by Mister Mike
    Views: 776 Posts: 4

2010-12-16 11:11 AM FELTGood

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
    Views: 1653 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

First Tri Sunday, Bike Tips Wanted

Started by KarmannGhia
    Views: 1014 Posts: 15

2009-08-05 11:19 PM tjh

doing first tri with "regular" bike?

Started by runkayak
    Views: 985 Posts: 11

2008-08-20 2:44 PM dlb3830

Wanting to TRI

Started by nika
    Views: 669 Posts: 5

2005-05-08 12:48 PM RedCorvette
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 11, 2011
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 1
    Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
    comments : 0
    How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
    date : December 27, 2008
    comments : 9
    Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 17, 2007
    author : scoli121
    comments : 6
    I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
    date : March 6, 2007
    author : sportfactory
    Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
    author : Valdora Cycles
    comments : 8
    The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.
    date : September 3, 2005
    author : aloufan
    I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : September 10, 2004
    author : Ron
    comments : 2
    Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.