General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jeff Galloway failed BQ attempt Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-10-07 2:18 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: Jeff Galloway failed BQ attempt

As some of you know, I've become a advocate of Jeff Galloway's run/walk philosophy over the past few years as I've gotten older and had to deal with some chronic knee and Achilles overuse injuries.  Through some trial and error, I've figured out that I can stay healthy and recover well if I keep my run/walk ratio around 4 min /1 min.

I was surprised and shocked when I read Galloway's blog over the weekend.  Galloway, who is 68, was trying to BQ at the USAF Marathon in Dayton last month and missed the cutoff time by 38 seconds, running a 4:10:38.

But the surprising part to me was reading that he did a 30 sec run/15 sec walk for most of the race.  Sure seems like it would be herky-jerky starting and stopping that many times over 26.2 miles.  Almost like running 220yd intervals the whole way. 

In my experience, the starting and stopping is stressful and it took a long time for me to get used to it.  I've dropped down to 1:1 a few times in races to gather myself, but can't imagine doing intervals that short for an entire race.  Then again, I've never done a 4:10 marathon, so maybe I'm missing something?  Would like to hear more about how he arrived at that ratio.  It doesn't seem to be consistent with charts in his books.

Mark

2013-10-07 3:03 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Ardmore
Subject: RE: Jeff Galloway failed BQ attempt
Interesting.

I've been following the run/walk method as well. For me, I'm doing 9/1 and working on adding miles now.
I am by no means fast, around a 10:15 mile with the 9/1 approach but it helps me accomplish my distance goals. I'll work on time next year.

As you stated, 30 sec/15 sec seems odd.

junr
2013-10-07 3:26 PM
in reply to: junr

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I use run/walk for HM training and races. By race day I'll be at 5:1 with a pace around 10 min/mile. But I agree, the stopping, and even more so the starting has to be done carefully or you can hurt yourself. at 30:15 he must have stopped/started over 100 times!
2013-10-07 4:23 PM

User image

Milwaukee
I agree on the short intervals.

I have done his method for about 18 months now. I do 3/1 mostly, although I have dropped to 1/1 in my last full marathon for the same reason you said.

30s/15s wouldn't work for me. My gut reaction is that it takes 10-15s just to adjust between the walk and run paces. It would just feel jerky.

I can feel myself thinking about 2hr into the marathon, "why am I just running the whole thing?" because I was spending nearly all of the time just concentrating on which interval I was on.

2013-10-07 4:33 PM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Interesting.  Now I want to see how fast I can do a 5K with 30 second all out sprints followed by 15 second gasps of air.
2013-10-07 4:59 PM

User image

Pro

The whole concept that Gallowalking is inherently faster than just running it- is plain wrong.

Gallowalking is fine, if you're new to running and cannot comfortably sustain a jog pace at well below threshold.  it's a terrific way to start into the sport.  perhaps everyone should start that way.  It may also work for dealing with injuries- or where some part of your drivetrain needs extra recovery.

However- the fastest way to run an endurance race, is to stay at the maximum level at which you can sustain for the duration of the race.  Exercise science is pretty clear on this one.  So, if you can sustain 90%LT for 26 miles, or 95%LT for 13 miles, that's what you do!  if you spend any time higher than your sustainable level of intensity, it costs you greatly in fatigue.  Any time spent lower, costs you time than you cannot make up by running faster.

Now- I don't know how much Jeff trained or what other issues he may have that limited his performance; but all other things being equal, there is no Run/Walk combination that is faster than just Running!

2013-10-07 5:03 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Elite

He did fracture a hip on the stairs about 18 months ago...maybe that.

2013-10-07 5:12 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Originally posted by morey000

The whole concept that Gallowalking is inherently faster than just running it- is plain wrong.

Gallowalking is fine, if you're new to running and cannot comfortably sustain a jog pace at well below threshold.  it's a terrific way to start into the sport.  perhaps everyone should start that way.  It may also work for dealing with injuries- or where some part of your drivetrain needs extra recovery.

However- the fastest way to run an endurance race, is to stay at the maximum level at which you can sustain for the duration of the race.  Exercise science is pretty clear on this one.  So, if you can sustain 90%LT for 26 miles, or 95%LT for 13 miles, that's what you do!  if you spend any time higher than your sustainable level of intensity, it costs you greatly in fatigue.  Any time spent lower, costs you time than you cannot make up by running faster.

Now- I don't know how much Jeff trained or what other issues he may have that limited his performance; but all other things being equal, there is no Run/Walk combination that is faster than just Running!

You may think r/w is not faster than just running, but there are many who are faster r/w than just running. Many are fast  runners as well not just slow, new or injured.

I don't think I'd agree that exercise science is pretty clear on your conclusion.

2013-10-07 5:37 PM

Arden, North Carolina

I don't like doing it, but I've done enough runs, both ways, running non-stop, and run/walk, and every time, given the same HR rate, I'm faster run/walking. I've i'm doing 6 miles or less, i'll run the whole thing, if i'm going more, I just can't keep my HR in aerobic without doing a run/walk, and I end up faster at the end doing it that way. Exercise science is all well and good, but I know from my personal experience, I'm faster run/walking.
2013-10-07 6:12 PM

User image

New user
Athens, GA
I'm just one data point, but if you plug my 5k PR and my half marathon PR into McMillan, they line up almost exactly. My 5k PR (which I actually ran in two separate races) was run straight out, and my half marathon was a 4/1 run/walk. My 10k PR, also run straight out and with just as much subjective suffering, is about 30 seconds slow according to the calculator. All things being equal, when I run distances of half marathon or longer using run/walk, I finish happier and recover faster and with less DOMS. It doesn't seem to be holding me back in terms of performance, and I'm not getting any younger so in terms of recovery and injury prevention I'm also a fan, so when someone tells me it isn't any faster, my personal experience tells me it isn't any slower, either.

After running that half marathon at a 4/1 ratio, I switched to a 2/:30 - same ratio but shorter intervals - and I actually like it better, so I see where Galloway is coming from. Now, a 1 minute walk seems interminably long to me. It's definitely worth playing around with ratios and times to see what works best.
2013-10-07 7:32 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Pro
Originally posted by KathyG

You may think r/w is not faster than just running, but there are many who are faster r/w than just running. Many are fast  runners as well not just slow, new or injured.

I don't think I'd agree that exercise science is pretty clear on your conclusion.

I don't mean to be a dickhead here- but yeah, it really is well understood.  Take cycling- where power meters can accurately track output.  your fastest race is where your Normalized power* is equal to or as close to your average power as possible. 

Physiological responses to rapid changes in intensity follow a time course that is predictable.  Plus many physiological responses (e.g. lactate production, glycogen utilization, etc) are not linear when related to exercise intensity.  For example,  a ride/run that has high intensity and then lulls (like a run/walk) will be more demanding on your energy systems than an effort that is much more steady – even though they may average out to being the same wattage in the end.  Normalized Power is basically an estimate of the power that you could have maintained for the same physiological “cost” if your power output had been constant.

Run/walk only makes sense when there are some other mitigating factors (injury, low fitness level such that mere jogging is near or above LT) that would prevent the runner from maintaining the fastest/most efficient pace.  So, if those are whom you are referring to as the 'many' who are faster, then so be it.  when Run/walkers start winning races, or even grabbing a couple of age group podium spots- then I'll perk up.  

*it's a bit of a complicated formula to calculate normalized power, which grabs 30 second periods of time, compares it to your threshold power, raises it to the 4th power, etc.   Something like that.  The salient feature of which, a little bit higher intensity costs you a heck of a lot more.  While there are no power meters for running, the same physiological processes occur- they're just much harder to measure.

2013-10-07 7:39 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville ... I just can't keep my HR in aerobic without doing a run/walk...

yup.  then you're an excellent candidate for a R/W strategy.  If you cannot stay below your threshold when running, then you need to rest and recover.  If you increase your fitness/capacity level such that you can comfortably run continuously, a R/W strategy will not be your fastest any more.

Fortunately- you're not a professional runner, and you're welcome to enjoy the sport any way you wish.  no criticism.  But, if someday you want to be faster....

2013-10-07 7:47 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville ... I just can't keep my HR in aerobic without doing a run/walk...

yup.  then you're an excellent candidate for a R/W strategy.  If you cannot stay below your threshold when running, then you need to rest and recover.  If you increase your fitness/capacity level such that you can comfortably run continuously, a R/W strategy will not be your fastest any more.

Fortunately- you're not a professional runner, and you're welcome to enjoy the sport any way you wish.  no criticism.  But, if someday you want to be faster....

I recall from reading his book Marathon You Can Do It - that whilst those elite 2.08 marathon runners, Kenyans Ethiopians etc, clearly don't run and walk but probably do change their pace.  It would be barely noticeable to me watching but i'm sure that's what he said....

Anyway the idea of Jeff's runwalk strategy is that you feel fresh - start to finish.  You get to the end there's no wall at 30km etc.  I ran my first marathon the following year i did a run/walk and finished an hour quicker using his method.

Now clearly i am not a BQ candidate - and since then i have changed the way i run, i'm more of a Maffetone zone 2 kind of build your base person.

Who knows which is right - just know what works for you.

2013-10-07 7:54 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-07 8:04 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

Master
Beijing
Originally posted by jobaxas

I recall from reading his book Marathon You Can Do It - that whilst those elite 2.08 marathon runners, Kenyans Ethiopians etc, clearly don't run and walk but probably do change their pace.  It would be barely noticeable to me watching but i'm sure that's what he said....

Actually, they're unbelievably consistent, and take pains to be so.

"Makau’s consistent splits tell the story.  With the aid of pacemakers, he went through the first five kilometers in 14:37, then clocked 5K splits of 14:40, 14:35, 14:38, 14:48, 14:20, 14:38 and 14:59 through 40-K.  He ran nearly even halves of 1:01:44 and 1:01:54, respectively."

http://running.competitor.com/2011/09/news/world-marathon-record-for-patrick-makau-in-berlin_38521

2013-10-07 8:28 PM

New user
Athens, GA

I started running in early 2010, after being sedentary since my first child was born in 2005. I had run really casually in the few years before he was born, but never trained consistently and was not fast. Ran the Army Ten-Miler in 2002 and was so proud that I ran the entire way, finishing in 2:03.

When I took up running again in the spring of 2010, I was of course almost a decade older and decided to try the Galloway method as I eased back into it. I ran my first half-marathon, a local race in October 2010, in 2:26. In October 2011 I ran it in 2:04. Last year I ran it in 1:59. All using run/walk. Hopefully in two weeks I can better that time as well. I've found that as long as I train consistently, I have gotten faster. And I'm pretty sure that whether I walked 20% of the race or not (actually less, since I drop the hammer in the last mile or so and run it in, so let's say 18%) doesn't show up in those results that are posted forever on the internet.

For every person you hear espousing the Galloway method and you smile to yourself and shake your head smugly, is a person proclaiming that they never walked a step of their race even though the wheels fell off and they didn't reach their goal, and I smile to myself and I shake my head smugly. I'm pretty sure neither one of us has the absolute answer for everyone.

2013-10-07 8:57 PM

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by RedCorvette

As some of you know, I've become a advocate of Jeff Galloway's run/walk philosophy over the past few years as I've gotten older and

had to deal with some chronic knee and Achilles overuse injuries. 

Through some trial and error, I've figured out that I can stay healthy and recover well if I keep my run/walk ratio around 4 min /1 min.

I was surprised and shocked when I read Galloway's blog over the weekend.  Galloway, who is 68, was trying to BQ at the USAF Marathon in Dayton last month and missed the cutoff time by 38 seconds, running a 4:10:38.

But the surprising part to me was reading that he did a 30 sec run/15 sec walk for most of the race.  Sure seems like it would be herky-jerky starting and stopping that many times over 26.2 miles.  Almost like running 220yd intervals the whole way. 

In my experience, the starting and stopping is stressful and it took a long time for me to get used to it.  I've dropped down to 1:1 a few times in races to gather myself, but can't imagine doing intervals that short for an entire race.  Then again, I've never done a 4:10 marathon, so maybe I'm missing something?  Would like to hear more about how he arrived at that ratio.  It doesn't seem to be consistent with charts in his books.

Mark

Try some Hoka One One shoes! They worked wonders for me.
2013-10-08 6:31 AM
in reply to: 0

Queen BTich
Originally posted by RedCorvette

As some of you know, I've become a advocate of Jeff Galloway's run/walk philosophy over the past few years as I've gotten older and had to deal with some chronic knee and Achilles overuse injuries.  Through some trial and error, I've figured out that I can stay healthy and recover well if I keep my run/walk ratio around 4 min /1 min.

Mark

I'm a big fan. Galloway got me running the day after hearing him speak. I had been injured with severe ITB issues for almost 6 months...PT 3x/wk...wasn't getting better. I 'ran' down the block on the first day and quickly progressed to much farther, pain free. All from a 5min conversation with him.

I usually run/walk, walking the aid stations in marathons. This weekend I ran with a friend and he was doing STRICT 2:1 intervals as he is a Gallo-convert (at age 55). We ran a 4:53. My last road race was a 4:44, a month ago. The big differences: I ran 2 ultras in between, one last week and it was very tough with major climbs and elevation changes. So, 9min slower with no taper, on very un-fresh legs? I will say I felt MUCH better after this one, I didn't hurt. I was depleted after the 4:44 race, the 2:1 on this one, not at all.

I don't know if I'll continue to do 2:1's, but I am going to experiment to find the 'sweet spot' for me. Maybe it's 4:1. I'm not out to PR. I like to do them and feel good. I always feel good doing some kind of walk interval.

The only thing I disagree with is your title for this thread. What's amazing is that he ran that interval, at 68 years old and finished in 4:10! "failed BQ" is a little pessimistic. Dude is amazing!

Edited by Comet 2013-10-08 6:32 AM
2013-10-08 7:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Somebody do the math. I need to save my math brain cells for my big swim this afternoon. What did pace did he avg for the run and pace for the walk?
2013-10-08 8:23 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Originally posted by Fred D

. Count me along with Kathy as someone who doesn't agree with you here. Run/walk in the context of triathlon especially is often the fastest route for most of us. I have run a 3:45 ironman marathon with run/walk. No, I wouldn't have been faster with a full run as it would have been much more walking at the end than I actually did. This stuff isn't pure science, just adding my vote that run/walk for TRIATHLETES is often our best strategy, especially in longer course events. Just my useless opinion.

For triathletes in long course maybe.  For Olympics and Sprints, I welcome and encourage everyone in my age group to use the run/walk strategy.

2013-10-08 8:24 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by GAUG3

Somebody do the math. I need to save my math brain cells for my big swim this afternoon. What did pace did he avg for the run and pace for the walk?

Here's my crack at it...

Assuming a walk speed of 4.31 ft/sec (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1005112200029)
Also assuming that his transition from walk to run and run to walk are instantaneous (which we know is not true)

4.31 ft/sec walking = 20.42 min/mi
1/3 of his time was spent walking: 250.63/3 = 83.54 min walking
83.54 min walking @ 20.42 min/mi = 4.09 mi walked
26.2 mi - 4.09 mi = 22.11 mi run
2/3 of his time was spent running: 2*(250.63/3) = 167.09 min running
Therefore, running min/mi = 167.09/22.11 = 7.56 min/mi (7.56 min = 7:33:06)

2013-10-08 8:51 AM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Originally posted by KathyG

I don't mean to be a dickhead here- but yeah, it really is well understood.  Take cycling- where power meters can accurately track output.  your fastest race is where your Normalized power* is equal to or as close to your average power as possible. 

Physiological responses to rapid changes in intensity follow a time course that is predictable.  Plus many physiological responses (e.g. lactate production, glycogen utilization, etc) are not linear when related to exercise intensity.  For example,  a ride/run that has high intensity and then lulls (like a run/walk) will be more demanding on your energy systems than an effort that is much more steady – even though they may average out to being the same wattage in the end.  Normalized Power is basically an estimate of the power that you could have maintained for the same physiological “cost” if your power output had been constant.

Run/walk only makes sense when there are some other mitigating factors (injury, low fitness level such that mere jogging is near or above LT) that would prevent the runner from maintaining the fastest/most efficient pace.  So, if those are whom you are referring to as the 'many' who are faster, then so be it.  when Run/walkers start winning races, or even grabbing a couple of age group podium spots- then I'll perk up.  

*it's a bit of a complicated formula to calculate normalized power, which grabs 30 second periods of time, compares it to your threshold power, raises it to the 4th power, etc.   Something like that.  The salient feature of which, a little bit higher intensity costs you a heck of a lot more.  While there are no power meters for running, the same physiological processes occur- they're just much harder to measure.

wow
(I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with the ignorance or the arrogance of this)
and we're not talking about cycling and power, but running...

There are many individuals who seem to do better with a run/walk strategy in running (and not just in triathlon) and I don't proclaim to know exactly why, but I'm certain that economy, individual muscle fiber types, training load, recruitment, recovery and previous injury along with so many other variables that possibly come into play in each individual

I'd be willing to bet that it also has to do with the fact that these people are not training with very high volume, possibly due to injury risk, and certainly are not pushing to achieve their genetic potential. Many are trying just want to do the best that they can do within time and injury constraints like so many of us and this program allows less total walking time because continued running is not well tolerated. This allows a faster finish time for them.

I have personally done better with a run/walk strategy late in IM or 1/2IM races, as Fred has pointed out. I have also run open marathons where I BQ'd and had people 'gallowalk/run' (about equal/faster than my 3:15marathon pace at the time) past me and leapfrogged me the entire race. It certainly can be useful to some people.

Few would argue that it is optimal for racing, for most people, based on known training principles but so many people are limited in terms of running volume and injuries are more likely to happen to slower runners who are out there for longer and longer times-especially in marathon training. A 5 hr marathoner may never go beyond 3 or 3.5 hrs in training and then have to go much farther on race day. A run/walk strategy can be tolerated very well.

We are not talking about athletes who are elite, usually it is uncommon for someone to be able to BQ and be in the top 10% (or so) via this strategy and that is why it seems to bring out strong comments either for it or against it.

And in the ultra world, the plan is OFTEN to utilize a run/walk strategy.

So, I'm a believer, even if it's not for me. But if/when I do my next ultra, I'll certainly consider run/walk...
2013-10-08 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4872450

Run/walk is not faster overall (or else you'd see elites doing it!), but it may be the BEST way for many people to finish happy and injury-free.

Galloway would run well under 4 hours if he was healthy enough now.
2013-10-08 9:04 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

Not trying to sound judgemental here, I'm truly not, to each his own, but my brain wouldn't let me start a foot race planning ahead of time to walk any of it. When I'm older (37 now) and/or injured etc... I'm sure I'll feel differently but right now there's no way I could start a race and preplan walking. I could probably do sprints with short walks in between during training but not an actual race.

Now I'm not saying that I wouldn't walk during a race if I pooped out, and that's happened before, but couldn't plan to do it.

I don't know how anyone could do 2:1 much less 1:1 and ever feel like they are in a groove running.
2013-10-08 9:12 AM

Regular
Bloomington
I used to think the Galloway method was for the under trained, then I tried it myself. I've been doing triathlons for 2 years and running various distances for 2 more. I decided to do my first marathon this year as a 47 yo woman. My long runs went ok until I got above 15. I struggled and got them done through 18. I blew up on 20 and needed to find a new way. I switched to a 35 second walk and 4 minute run. I completed another 20 and a 23 and variouse other shorter distances using this method in the 6 weeks before the race.

Race was Sunday - I ran the first mile and then started the intervals. I went to the side of the course to walk and try to keep out of others ways. I stopped to put a shoe back on and to stretch some cramps at 25.5. I finished at 3:53:50. A BQ time for me.

Without the Galloway method I wouldn't have been nearly as successful. Don't knock Galloway method until you actually try it as he has written.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jeff Galloway failed BQ attempt Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Jeff Galloway run/walk? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by nadaswimmer
Views: 11541 Posts: 76

2010-08-11 2:27 PM Hook'em

Jeff Galloway Running School?

Started by lil_turtle
Views: 1704 Posts: 4

2008-07-17 7:56 AM Comet

Jeff Galloway to Speak at North Atlanta Multisport Club Meeting

Started by Rocket Man
Views: 980 Posts: 3

2006-02-23 7:30 PM huengsolo

Jeff Galloway training?

Started by line
Views: 1046 Posts: 4

2005-10-17 2:06 PM clflgrl

Jeff Galloway

Started by tribesman
Views: 1147 Posts: 12

2005-07-27 1:25 PM pkingfl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 22, 2013
author : TryingATri
comments : 1
My first attempt at something is not what defines me, but it's my last attempt at something that truly defines who I am.

date : September 30, 2011
author : wendybird
comments : 9
No shame in being last
date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on racing in the heat, electrolytes, weightloss and long distance training, the best way to improve your run, taper psychology, the best gel and the benefits of a swim stroke analysis.

date : October 30, 2005
author : boneyard
When you can't catch a breath on the swim and your equipment fails, keep trying!!
date : September 3, 2005
author : bflrich
You’re probably not going to get it just right immediately. Like always, just do the best you can and keep on keeping on. Don’t get upset if you don’t hit the target every time.