General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-07 6:35 PM

New user
Bonney Lake
Subject: New Bike questions
I have two questions on new bikes that maybe you all would have an opinion on.

First question is about how long before an IM would you buy a new bike. I am looking into a new bike but might not be able to get it until maybe 3 months before event. This will be the first time I have changed bikes so close to an event. I will be fit correctly and all. Just see what your experiences with a bike change are and what you all think about time to train on the new ride, get use to it etc.

Second question is around the bikes. I have been looking at a few bikes. I have saved up some money and will save a little more. I am looking at the P5 six or p3 or maybe even the Shiv Pro Race. Lets for today say I fit each just fine. Are the gains in the Shiv or p5 that much to justify the higher cost? They both have the non ICU legal fork etc. Just seeing if for a normal bike rider like me who only rides in tris, is it wort the look at the higher end bikes or is the nice P3 or similar set up bike just as good. I know that it depends on me as a bike rider being the bikes motor. I guess I am seeing about handling, small advantages etc. I am a average size guy about 5'10" 170. My IM times in CDA are just over 6h and recently in Canada about the same. I know that I am the secret to my bikes success, However these bikes all offer nice components breaks etc. I have to replace things on my bike and after a lot of weight loss mine is not the best fit now as i want to get more aggressive. Thanks for the advice or insight.

2013-10-07 8:27 PM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: New Bike questions
3 months is plenty of time to get used to new equipment.

Go with the P3, but spend extra on higher quality aero wheels. The wheels with wider rims and fairings will handle better in the wind, have lower rolling resistance, and a smoother ride.
2013-10-08 12:26 AM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: New Bike questions
Buy the best bike you can comfortably afford or the one that speaks to you the most. If you get the P3 but could afford an ever nicer bike, you might not be satisfied. And I agree--3 months is plenty of time to get comfortable on your new bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Bike questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New bike questions (101 level type questions)

Started by LarchmontTri
Views: 1224 Posts: 9

2012-04-25 8:20 AM DanielG

New bike question

Started by novarobin
Views: 1272 Posts: 5

2010-07-13 3:41 PM m2tx

New bike question.

Started by Zyzra
Views: 1000 Posts: 11

2009-11-02 11:55 AM Tundra_Man

another "new bike" question...

Started by maxmattmick
Views: 970 Posts: 9

2005-07-29 2:52 PM David14

New Bike questions about the frame size

Started by Outcast210
Views: 1739 Posts: 23

2005-05-05 11:14 AM B-One
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Tis the season to shop. These are a few of my plans when I go out looking for a new ride.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

author : Daniel Clout
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.