of 3

2013-10-08 4:06 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: RE: Happy marriage vs. Triathlon
Originally posted by Kido

Originally posted by pschriver But always keep in mind that IronMan training has ended more than 1 marriage.

I would respectfully disagree.  I don't think Ironman has ended a SINGLE marriage.

Lack of communication, compromise, support, or understanding ended the marriage.

x 1,000,000! It's all in communication!

2013-10-08 4:18 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Rogillio Time management: 168 hrs week 42 hrs sleeping 45 hrs working 15 hrs training 15 hrs eating 15 hrs doing chorse - mowing grass, laundry, cleaning, etc Still leaves 50 hr for quality family time. Look for non-value added things such a watching TV, surfing the internet, posting on BT.....

168 - 42 - 45 - 15 - 15 - 15 = 36, and that's not counting your commute to/from work (mine is 2.5 hours per week which is a lot less than most people i know) and assuming i'm functional on 6 hours of sleep (i need 8) so we are now down to 20 hours "free" time.

but i do agree that cutting out TV and internets would save ME and a lot of people a LOT of time in a week.  every time my husband says he's too busy to do XXX i just want to remind him how many episodes of star trek he watched that week....

2013-10-08 4:37 PM
in reply to: jaydiver

User image

The 951
Happy Wife, Happy Life.

I make sure there is always time for the family. Isn't that why we like to take care of ourselves?
2013-10-08 8:43 PM

Be honest and up front with her. Build a plan, give it to her, and get her input. She needs to buy into it. Once you get to that point, continue to assess from time to time. Communication has been the key for me.
2013-10-09 12:06 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by pschriver But always keep in mind that IronMan training has ended more than 1 marriage.

I had a former work colleague whose marriage ended due to IM training. 

He would bring his bike to the office every Wednesday and would leave after lunch to do a long ride.  

Problem was that it wasn't his bike that he was "riding" all afternoon. 

Mark

2013-10-09 12:08 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro
Originally posted by RedCorvette

He would bring his bike to the office every Wednesday and would leave after lunch to do a long ride.  

Mark

I don't get it.....then how was he getting in shape?

2013-10-09 12:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Originally posted by Left Brain

Mark

He wasn't.  He DNF'd the first three times he attempted an IM.  

Mark

2013-10-09 12:16 PM

User image

Pro

Mark

He wasn't.  He DNF'd the first three times he attempted an IM.  

Mark

I bet his wife was dissapointed.  Laughing

2013-10-09 1:53 PM

User image

Regular
I'm not sure I have much to add that hasn't been covered, but to me the keys are as follows...

1) Early morning workouts. I do the vast majority of my workouts before my wife and son (7) are awake. That means lots of 4am alarms, but that minimizes the impact.

2) Trade-offs. Before I started triathlons, my wife and I gave each other "sleep in days" on the weekends. I'd get one, she'd get one. I now use mine for my long bike ride. I make sure my training doesn't interfere with hers. I also make sure I plan a lot of "us" stuff to make it clear triathlon is not a priority over her.

3) Already mentioned above, but pick races at locations which interest the family. I'm doing New Orleans 70.3 next year just b/c my wife and son want to visit the city (and they preferred it over Galveston).

4) Communication. I'm planning my first IM next year and have already discussed the long bike rides with my wife, letting her know that during a certain period I'll be gone until 1pm or so on my "sleep in day".

5) Quality in training. I'm not sure I've figured this out yet, but make sure you're training smart to get the most out of what time you have. Smart training 10-12 hours/week beats foolish training 18-20 hours/week.

Good luck.
2013-10-10 8:04 AM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I am recently married and will be racing my first IM next august in IMMT. What has been said here is great advice and I will tell you some things that I have done to make it easier on the wife since I used the same strategy for my HIM I did last week.

1.) I talked to my wife about my goal to race an IM about 2 years ago. We like to plan things ahead of time and I knew it would take me time to build up to an IM. We decided that 2014 would be the best year because it was after we got married and a year before we wanted to seriously think about having kids. I think it is important to sit down with the wife and look at your calendar (social & work) to try and plan it out.

2.) Give her a copy of your training plan. I wrote out a monthly training plan and gave it to my wife. My wife knew when I was going to work out every day and how long that workout was expected to take. This way, we could re-adjust our work schedules around my workout so we could spend more time together. An example would be: On wednesdays I would swim in the morning (5:30am) then work 8-4 and after I got home, I would do an 1:30 bike on the trainer. Since she knew I would be waking up early and most likely waking her up too, she would sleep in and work 10-6 that way when she got home from work, I would be done my workouts, showered and then we would make dinner together. Or she would go to the gym or hang with her friends.

3.) Love the trainer- I often trained on the trainer. My bike is in the basement and my wife could watch tv, do work on the computer, fold laundry, etc while I worked out. I know she appreciated the ability to be able to talk to me and watch me workout. After a few times, she lost interest and didnt care about hanging out with me anymore and left me to it but it was good to know I was there if she needed anything and if I did my short rides inside on the trainer, going out once a week for a long ride was no big deal.

4.) Make sure you have a shared calendar. I often forget about things she has planned so having a calendar with all of our social events on it made it easy to move workouts around. Due to traveling for 4 friends weddings and our honeymoon this year, I had to re-structure a lot of my training but I was able to make it work since I knew what was coming.

5.) Make her part of the journey and value her input. I spoke with my wife about my IM goal and she supported me 100% I told her I wanted to do IMMT and showed her the town, videos, etc and she was all for it. We went to volunteer at IMMT together this year so I could sign up the next day and we turned it into a 4 day mini vacation and she had a blast. She was very inspired and loved the town and is excited to go back. Make sure whatever IM you choose, its a place that your wife wants to go.

6.) Have an honest conversation with your wife about the financial aspect of racing an IM. Part of the reason I planned mine for 2014 was to allow us to save $$$ to do it. Some people might overlook the financial commitment an IM takes because they are so focused on the training aspect. Money can cause more problems then being away every weekend for a long ride/run

7.) Life is going to get in the way at times, its inevitble. Make sure she knows that you will sacrifice workouts for important things in life. Missing a few workouts here and there is not going to make or break your race.

8.) Explain to her how much this means to you and how you will not be able to do it alone. If you explain that you need her and make her feel like this is a team effort (it is) it might go a long way. Also, try training together or getting her to help your training. I know that my wife is not as fast of a cyclist or runner as me (she can kick my a$$ in swimming though) so she will often join me on the back end of my runs to spend some time together.

Good luck bud. I am sure everything will be fine and I hope what I said helps a little. Also look into the books "Be Iron Fit" by Don Fink and "The Time Crunched Triathlete" both books have training plans and help with time manangement. I am using Be Iron Fit for my IM next year.
2013-10-10 9:17 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Champion
Alabama
I just don't understand how 12 - 18 hrs/week is an issue. If you do a long bike (5 hrs) on Sat and long run on Sun (3 hrs) that still leaves 11 hrs and 13 waking hours to spend with your family. That leaves 4 to 10 hrs over 5 days to train during the week.

But the real question is, do you buy her chairs?

That is a line from the movie Phenomenon with John Travolta. In the movie the gal John is courting makes artistic chairs....and John buys them. Everyone has a passion in life. Find out what your spouces passion is and support their pursuit of it. If you don't, you are just wasting your time with the marriage as it is doomed to fail eventually.

26+ years of marriage and my wife and I buy each other's chairs! My wife's passion is horses. I bought her first horse for her 22 years ago and she has had 2 or 3 every since.

2013-10-10 9:22 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio I just don't understand how 12 - 18 hrs/week is an issue. If you do a long bike (5 hrs) on Sat and long run on Sun (3 hrs) that still leaves 11 hrs and 13 waking hours to spend with your family. That leaves 4 to 10 hrs over 5 days to train during the week. But the real question is, do you buy her chairs? That is a line from the movie Phenomenon with John Travolta. In the movie the gal John is courting makes artistic chairs....and John buys them. Everyone has a passion in life. Find out what your spouces passion is and support their pursuit of it. If you don't, you are just wasting your time with the marriage as it is doomed to fail eventually. 26+ years of marriage and my wife and I buy each other's chairs! My wife's passion is horses. I bought her first horse for her 22 years ago and she has had 2 or 3 every since.

You would if you spent that much time just driving your kids to all of their activities. Laughing  We'll get a bit of a break in Dec. when the boy turns 16......but my wife and I can't believe how busy we are with our kids as they have become very active/involved teenagers.

2013-10-10 9:37 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Rogillio I just don't understand how 12 - 18 hrs/week is an issue. If you do a long bike (5 hrs) on Sat and long run on Sun (3 hrs) that still leaves 11 hrs and 13 waking hours to spend with your family. That leaves 4 to 10 hrs over 5 days to train during the week. But the real question is, do you buy her chairs? That is a line from the movie Phenomenon with John Travolta. In the movie the gal John is courting makes artistic chairs....and John buys them. Everyone has a passion in life. Find out what your spouces passion is and support their pursuit of it. If you don't, you are just wasting your time with the marriage as it is doomed to fail eventually. 26+ years of marriage and my wife and I buy each other's chairs! My wife's passion is horses. I bought her first horse for her 22 years ago and she has had 2 or 3 every since.

You would if you spent that much time just driving your kids to all of their activities. Laughing  We'll get a bit of a break in Dec. when the boy turns 16......but my wife and I can't believe how busy we are with our kids as they have become very active/involved teenagers.

I remember those days.  Peak demand for time as a parent/chauffeur.  As much as we worried about our kids when they started to drive, it did take a huge load off our time demands.

As an empty-nester now, I pretty much have all the time I want to train.  Especially on the weekends when my wife likes to sleep late and I can usually get in a run or ride before she finishes her second cup of coffee.

The one thing that I will say is that kids grow up before you know it.  Enjoy them and spend time with them while you can.  It's time you can never get back and you don't want to have any regrets after they're gone.

Mark   

2013-10-10 9:37 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I remember those days.  Peak demand for time as a parent/chauffeur.  As much as we worried about our kids when they started to drive, it did take a huge load off our time demands.

As an empty-nester now, I pretty much have all the time I want to train.  Especially on the weekends when my wife likes to sleep late and I can usually get in a run or ride before she finishes her second cup of coffee.

The one thing that I will say is that kids grow up before you know it.  Enjoy them and spend time with them while you can.  It's time you can never get back and you don't want to have any regrets after they're gone.

Mark   

2013-10-10 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Mark   

Wise words indeed.

2013-10-10 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Mark   

Yes, times flies and we all have to juggle priorities. Just remember though, kids learn from our actions too. My son wrote this essay in HS:

No one is more influential in our formative years than our role model. For me, it was my dad. He has taught me lessons that will hold me well throughout my life. Too many, in fact, to cover in a single essay, but I'll try to do some minor justice. My dad taught me self sufficiency, how to work hard, and determination to reach my goals.

From as early as I remember I was my dad's little helper. Every time something broke down or went awry, we were there to fix it. When I was younger I didn't understand why he fixed everything himself and showed me how he did it; why didn't he just call a repairman? I finally realized that he wasn't teaching me how to fix things, though that was part of it. He was really teaching me how to work hard and do things for myself.
Something equally important that I've learned from him is determination. He has run multiple marathons and 2 Ironmans. My dad wasn't gifted with athleticism, yet that never stopped him from setting out and trying. He taught me to approach things one step at a time until you accomplish what you've set out to do. He started out with little 5k runs and sprint distance triathlons, and he kept training until he'd done an Ironman.

My dad played an instrumental role in my growing up. He's helped make me into who I am today. I only hope that I've inherited even a tiny portion of his capability and drive, so I might turn out into someone he can be proud of.

2013-10-10 10:59 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Rogillio

Mark   

Yes, times flies and we all have to juggle priorities. Just remember though, kids learn from our actions too. My son wrote this essay in HS: No one is more influential in our formative years than our role model. For me, it was my dad. He has taught me lessons that will hold me well throughout my life. Too many, in fact, to cover in a single essay, but I'll try to do some minor justice. My dad taught me self sufficiency, how to work hard, and determination to reach my goals. From as early as I remember I was my dad's little helper. Every time something broke down or went awry, we were there to fix it. When I was younger I didn't understand why he fixed everything himself and showed me how he did it; why didn't he just call a repairman? I finally realized that he wasn't teaching me how to fix things, though that was part of it. He was really teaching me how to work hard and do things for myself. Something equally important that I've learned from him is determination. He has run multiple marathons and 2 Ironmans. My dad wasn't gifted with athleticism, yet that never stopped him from setting out and trying. He taught me to approach things one step at a time until you accomplish what you've set out to do. He started out with little 5k runs and sprint distance triathlons, and he kept training until he'd done an Ironman. My dad played an instrumental role in my growing up. He's helped make me into who I am today. I only hope that I've inherited even a tiny portion of his capability and drive, so I might turn out into someone he can be proud of.

Pretty cool.  Great job!

Unfortunately (not really), our kids learned from our examples and took it to a level we never dreamed of......now we are support for them. Laughing  

2013-10-10 11:50 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by jaydiver I know there are articles galore on this topic but I thought I'd throw it out to the masses. I've always been athletic so when I decided to start my triathlon journey I stuck to the sprint distances. I found I really didn't have to put a lot of time into the training & had a lot of fun at that distance. It also didn't have any affect on time spent w/ the wife & kids (10yrs & 5yrs). Fast forward a few years & now I'm looking for more of a challenge. Olympic distances were fun as well but now I'd like to step up my game. Currently for 2014, I've signed up for Oceanside 70.3 & I'd REALLY like to try Ironman Texas. This is where it gets tough. My wife is having a very hard time w/ the amount of time training takes up & I haven't even really started yet! Here's the question... What are all you guys/gals doing to get a balance? I've always been told you have to be a little selfish (especially when it comes to your time) when training for the longer courses but I don't want it @ the cost of my marriage.

i don't race long distance and have no interest, but a lot of folks have given you great advice - mainly wake up and get it done early or stay up and get it done late.

what particularly does your wife take issue with?  are you leaving too much of the "house" stuff for her to do?  are you leaving your gear all over the place so it feels like her workload has increased?  are you missing the kids school play?  are you scheduling your workouts when she used to take zumba?  address her specific concerns when you lay out your plan since every family works differently.

check in with your kids too - 10 and 5 are certainly old enough to notice that dad isn't spending enough time with them and maybe they have told mom and that's why she's upset...

I like the reply. I've only done short races so far, and not any in 5 years. But I am now back to training again and have sights set on HIM in May and I have made sure all of the subjects above are covered. Our 4 kids are home schooled. So I get home from work after trading out cars w/ my wife who works nights. I fix dinner, then sit and finish up school work and help w/ the 3 who play piano. The house is done by myself and the kids (req'd chores) and they are off to bed at 10pm If all of the other "stuff" is done, I go for a run or jump on the trainer. Even if it means I start at 11:30pm. My kids and wife know I am training again, but only b/c I tell them of my running or time on trainer, or b/c they see me swim at lunch when they arrive for swim team. I'm not having to miss 'daddy time' w/ them. As long as my wife doesn't have work added to her routine, the house is done, and the kids are in bed, I can train as I please. She's back in the pool and has continued to run (the bike is another story...bad wreck, 3 surgeries, and a big mental block), so that helps. If I were to shut off the internet and the tv, I would have 2 hours a day Mon-Fri either late night or early am to train...easily. 4 hours on a Sat/Sun would be easy as i could be up and done by 9am when I get to that point....The key is efficiency. When I could goof off for 30min, I think of the 30 min that I won't have later to train.
2013-10-10 12:13 PM

I've been a regular endurance athlete for 20 years now. I take my racing pretty seriously, even if I'm nowhere near the elites out in front.

My wife is supportive of my triathlon habits only in name - in practice, she's totally unsupportive. Won't go to any races, will always prioritize her and family commitments over mine (including "A" races) and gets immediately impatient and annoyed with me if I take a chunk out of family time to train , even in short blocks of an hour. Granted, she's a busy working woman too, but it's definitely not the picture of a supportive spouse. Lots of lip service about how she respects my training and how great she thinks it is I do it, but if any slight push-shove priorities come, triathlon comes last, if even at all.

I know it sounds like we don't communicate but we do - excellently. It's just a matter of her vision of our family vs mine, and it's fine.

And even with that limitation, I can definitely still train 10-12 hours per week, hard. I just do it before the family can even notice for the most part, and on weekends, take the kid with me if possible. AM workouts 1-1.5hrs between 4:30-6AM and lunchtime swims get it done before anyone can even complain, and get a 2hr indoor trainer ride in from 5-7AM on Sat AM, and you're covered.

I don't race Ironman (those 5 hr training rides would not work for us) but I've raced 2 HIMs in the past year at 5hrs, which is probably near my potential, so I don't think it's necessarily a deal-breaker if your spouse isn't totally on board with your training/racing. My wife and kid have yet to come watch me race a single time, and I've raced probably 20 times in the past 4 years. Just get it done before they even notice.
2013-10-10 7:27 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro
Burbs

I'm really lucky --- my husband gets that training is important to me and has never complained or made a snide comment about it (other than GO SHOWER).

It was easy while it was just the two of us --- he's totally fine relaxing on his own (and I'd buy breakfast after long runs) but it's a little harder now with 1 kid. I feel the proverbial "mommy guilt" but I remember that our kid needs one-on-one time with Daddy and they do that while I'm getting in my long runs.

(also my husband will run errands with our toddler while I'm running ... I'm a lucky girl!)

2013-10-10 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS
We don't have any kids, so my situation is different than yours. Before signing up I talked to my husband, explained to him that eventually I will be training two hours a day during the week and 5-8 hours on the weekends. He said he understood and was supportive. 8 months later he could not wait for my training to be done. B/c on top of that training time I had to get ready to train and clean up after training- that's an extra hour a day. (My time was also divided b/c two months before the race I started a new job that has been demanding on my time).

But we survived training, I am an Ironman and now he can't believe that I was able to balance everything and accomplish my goal of becoming an Ironman.

So I would say, like others have already, just let her know what is involved. Talk about it. Invite her on some of your shorter training sessions. My husband would bike ride on the trails while I ran.

2013-10-10 10:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Hi Man!!!

I strongly believe a Happy Marriage will be the base of your successful training. Just talk it out with your wife you just want to accomplish this one IMTX and will take one year of training , start with that and hopefully she will understand, you will have decades of happy relationship I am sure she can give you 1 year.
It will be a different story if you get hooked to IMs and change your

BT name to: "GmanWannabeSpudone"

It helps to when you talk to your wife in their lingo i got my wife to approve my buying of Carbon TT w/Carbon wheels. I know being a newbie should start with craigslist, but i know my wife if i do that I will be stuck with a craigslist TT bike all my Tri days and I just bought my Carbon Roadie 2 years ago.
I Just told my wife:

"Hon I know it is nice to have a Burberry Bike, but its more full filling to finish a race with a Louis Vuitton"

honestly our wives should be thankful we are working out , We dodged a bullet of open Heart Surgery or Dialysis.

Goodluck to you man!!!

Edited by strykergt 2013-10-10 10:14 PM
2013-10-27 10:26 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

New user

Thanks so much for the input. Everyone has offered great advise that will be definitely come in handy. Good luck in your IM.
2013-10-28 9:26 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Originally posted by tedjohn

A few thoughts:
1) Let your better half pick the destination for your next IM and/ or make sure its somewhere that everyone will enjoy.
2) You have the rest of your life to do triathlons. Maybe pick a 70.3 for next year and wait on the IM?
3) Avoid surprises. Have a long talk about training and the time you will spend up front, and why it's important to you. Try to create a training schedule that has some flexibility.
4) Don't be afraid to skip a workout here and there (especially if they aren't "key workouts." Most of us AGers tend to over-train as opposed to under training.
5) Thank your spouse/ family profusely for allowing you to pursue your goals in triathlon. What commitment can you make to your wife/ family as you pursue this opportunity.
6) Completing an IM will be infinitely more satisfying if you have the 100% backing of your family.
Good Luck!

I agree with all of the above.
2013-11-10 8:01 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Not sure if anyone mentioned it in here or not but what about trying to get your spouse to train with you? I have posed this to my wife several times and the only response she ever has is, "I don't have a bike." Certainly that obstacle is easily overcome.

Has anyone tried this and if so, were you successful? My wife and I are competitive about EVERYTHING so I'm sure this could pose an issue down the line. It seems to me, however, that many of the problems mentioned in this thread could be solved by training together.

Is it safe to say that, "The couple who tri's together, stays together?"
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Happy marriage vs. Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

New vs used, local vs online, rent vs buy - Wetsuits for Southerners with limited funds

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 1280 Posts: 5

2011-09-30 5:21 PM MacMadame

WSJ Article: "A Workout Ate My Marriage" Pages: 1 2

Started by merlin2375
Views: 5394 Posts: 45

2011-02-01 7:21 PM Marvarnett

HR Training vs distance vs time vs...

Started by fester808
Views: 1609 Posts: 9

2009-04-15 1:29 PM fester808

Giant vs Felt vs QR vs Cervelo Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Newbie5317
Views: 7188 Posts: 65

2008-02-21 12:04 PM karhooligan

PowerTap vs Ergomo vs Computrainer vs ?

Started by TypeA Girl Pilot
Views: 1843 Posts: 18

2006-11-15 4:39 PM AusVirgin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : September 2, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Discussion on rest and on being happy with your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.