General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Kona TV Coverage? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-08 6:44 AM

Subject: Ironman Kona TV Coverage?
Hi,

I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to get this set up on my DVR - is it not going to have live coverage?!

Realize you can watch live on ironman.com, but I want the NBC TV editing to help with the experience.

Does anyone know how to get this on TV?

2013-10-08 6:47 AM
in reply to: JethroTuller

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: Ironman Kona TV Coverage?
No live coverage. It usually get broadcast on NBC a month or 2 later
2013-10-08 6:50 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by JethroTuller

Hi,

I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to get this set up on my DVR - is it not going to have live coverage?!

Realize you can watch live on ironman.com, but I want the NBC TV editing to help with the experience.

If you want the feel good edited version, you are going to have to wait while NBC puts that together.

Last year was the fastest turnover in recent memory (due to the Lance factor) but I haven't heard a date for the broadcast for this year.

Shane
2013-10-08 7:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I can't find where I saw it but I saw an early/mid November date for the NBC version somewhere.

Edit: I found it as soon as I hit submit.  Nov 16th.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/10/news/gopro-announced-as-title-sponsor-of-ironman-world-championship_86072

Edited by axteraa 2013-10-08 7:21 AM
2013-10-08 9:56 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Master
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Originally posted by JethroTuller

Hi,

If you want the feel good edited version, you are going to have to wait while NBC puts that together.

Last year was the fastest turnover in recent memory (due to the Lance factor) but I haven't heard a date for the broadcast for this year.

Shane

This year should be fast due to the "Hines Ward" factor
2013-10-08 10:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by pschriver
Originally posted by JethroTuller Hi, I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to get this set up on my DVR - is it not going to have live coverage?! Realize you can watch live on ironman.com, but I want the NBC TV editing to help with the experience. Does anyone know how to get this on TV?
If you want the feel good edited version, you are going to have to wait while NBC puts that together. Last year was the fastest turnover in recent memory (due to the Lance factor) but I haven't heard a date for the broadcast for this year. Shane

Ward does half time commentary for NBC's college football coverage of Notre Dame games. Convenient that Notre Dame's bye week falls on the same weekend as Kona. 

To OP: if your computer has an HDMI output, you can plug your computer into your TV and watch that way through ironman.com. They have announcers (Matt Lieto and Michellie Jones, along with a third guy I can't remember (Mike Reilly prior to calling finish?) with live coverage and pre-race interviews from about 30 minutes prior to the start through at least the women's finish and some post-race interviews. Then the camera just switches over to the finish line for much of the rest of the race, which is actually quite inspiring to watch. Don't forget about the time difference!

Edited by rdailey1 2013-10-08 10:32 AM

2013-10-08 10:27 AM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Pro
Originally posted by rdailey1

Originally posted by JethroTuller Hi, I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to get this set up on my DVR - is it not going to have live coverage?! Realize you can watch live on ironman.com, but I want the NBC TV editing to help with the experience. Does anyone know how to get this on TV?
If you want the feel good edited version, you are going to have to wait while NBC puts that together. Last year was the fastest turnover in recent memory (due to the Lance factor) but I haven't heard a date for the broadcast for this year. Shane

Ward does half time commentary for NBC's college football coverage of Notre Dame games. Convenient that Notre Dame's bye week falls on the same weekend as Kona. 

To OP: if your computer has an HDMI output, you can plug your computer into your TV and watch that way. They have announcers with live coverage and pre-race interviews from about 30 minutes prior to the start through at least the women's finish and some post-race interviews. Then the camera just switches over to the finish line for much of the rest of the race, which is actually quite inspiring to watch.

I'm going to plug the computer into a video projector and show it outdoors for our tri club's BBQ. I figure we should see a winner shortly after 8:30. Hopefully the beer lasts that long.

2013-10-08 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
same joke every year. It is a joke right??
2013-10-08 12:45 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Elite

and that bloke Gordon Ramsey

2013-10-08 1:58 PM
in reply to: FELTGood

User image

Austin

I got myself the universal sports channel hopefully to watch this live. But I guess Ill do what I did last year with the laptop and tv hook up.
At least I get to watch all the other great sports on that channel.

ITU championships was awesome, the gymnastics championship is going on now, and I have last weeks marathon to watch on the dvr.

If only I could have gotten the channel by itself instead of having to buy the whole sports package. I am not going to watch 10 baseball, basketball or hockey channels.

2013-10-08 7:07 PM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Wondering what my chances are in the boonies of Dak Lac province up in the Central Highlands? Bringing the I-pad just in case!

2013-10-08 9:25 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

He also works NBC's Sunday Night Football, they did mention that he will be missing the game next week for Kona.
2013-10-08 11:58 PM
in reply to: Grat

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Originally posted by Grat

He also works NBC's Sunday Night Football, they did mention that he will be missing the game next week for Kona.

He deserves the post-race vacation as much as the rest of them!

2013-10-09 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
I was nosing around during the Vegas coverage and saw that the folks who handle the feed (Livestream?) also have an app for Roku. So if you have a Roku, you can pull it up on your tv without using a laptop. Just an fyi.
2013-10-09 5:21 PM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wait?

So are you guys saying that NBC doesn't broadcast the entire race live?
2013-10-10 7:37 AM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by lifejustice

Wait?

So are you guys saying that NBC doesn't broadcast the entire race live?

No. You can live stream it off the Ironman website but NBC does a re-cap of the day with some AG stories mixed in about a month or two after Kona. It is usually 1-2hrs long.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Kona TV Coverage? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kona TV coverage

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 2553 Posts: 7

2012-09-28 3:01 PM carriecook

Kona 2010 tv coverage?

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1389 Posts: 10

2010-10-22 2:42 PM nc452010

TV coverage for Kona?

Started by Patrick E
Views: 4629 Posts: 17

2010-10-04 7:29 PM djdjm

Kona TV coverage

Started by thelunchbox
Views: 1845 Posts: 9

2008-12-09 9:40 AM xmann1102

Kona TV Coverage??

Started by jccbulldog
Views: 1338 Posts: 5

2006-10-17 6:28 PM Carl Sohn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 26, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Highlights of Beginner Triathlete Members at the Ironman World Championships

date : October 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
A look at Beginner Triathlete members racing in Kona from qualifying to training to family.
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
date : September 26, 2009
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : October 10, 2004
author : BrianPBN
So far the taper is feeling good and I'm getting that itchy feeling to race. I know this will grow even stronger when I get to the island and see my friends and PBN Team members.  
date : October 3, 2004
author : BrianPBN
Definitely glad this weekend is out of the way as 145 miles of cycling and 27 miles of running in two days is a fair amount.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Browe79
This man’s story was so inspiring that my brother and I committed to doing an Ironman by the time we turned thirty.